• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Mental Illness Support Thread V. How do you feel?

Comedy, what a great outlet. And you can tell a lot of comics have dark sides because you need to see things for what they are, which IMO happens more when depressed than elated. Sure, our self confidence may lack, but we can see the ugly in the world more clearly. And that, is hilarious. There is nothing but absurdity in this world and when elated we just skip to our lue, ignoring it all.

Agreed - comedy is a great way to keep your spirits up when you're feeling down. It helps you feel connected to other people and less alone in whatever neurosis you're experiencing.

Absolutely! Going to comedy shows is really fun. So far I've seen Jim Gaffigan, Artie Lange, Marc Maron and Bill Burr.

My granny's doctors came last night and I cannot believe they gave her suboxone. She's only used to taking 7.5 mg Norcos and recently started on 10 mg Lortab every morning for her hip pain. It's not like she's an opiate addict. So these morons came last night and gave her suboxone to try for pain and sleep. They told her to take a lil' piece of the strip before bed so she'll sleep well.
This morning I woke up to her feeling dizzy, weak and itchy. Really, you're not supposed to even take suboxone until opiates are out of your system. She takes her 10 mg Lortab in the morning so maybe it had an interaction with the suboxone at night? It's just upsetting. Doctors can't go around giving people something like that.

So I took it off her hands. lol There's no interaction with my Effexor XR, I checked. It's only one strip. The doctor would've called her in a prescription if she liked it, but that won't be happening.
I'll be checking in on her all day to make sure she's all right.

You saw Bill Burr?? I'd kill to see him live. He's also hilarious on Conan. I love when he mocks his wife lol.

Good that granny's got a great grandchild. And equally glad the effexor is working for you.

You saw Bill Burr?? I'd kill to see him live. He's also hilarious on Conan. I love when he mocks his wife lol.

Good that granny's got a great grandchild. And equally glad the effexor is working for you.

Bill Burr is the man! You gotta see him. It's funny how in his early comedy specials, he was so against marriage and kids. Now he's married to Nia and they have a daughter! I bet she's beautiful.

Thank you! Granny is starting to feel a lil' better. I called her doctor and told him what happened. He said he was looking for an alternative to pain pills because soon the government will start cutting people off from them completely. It's awful for people with chronic pain who really need it. She can't take suboxone anymore though.

I'm taking Effexor XR twice a day now and noticed that with a low dose of lithium orotate, it clears the drowsy side effects. You're right, there's a synergy between lithium and antidepressants.

Yes, he is Boston strong. hehe

I'm thinking that it might be time for my Effexor XR to be increased because I'm not feeling it working as much anymore. I'm on 150 mg which is still on the low end. I see my psych next month, he'll probably increase it.

I started Concerta ER in the morning, basically Ritalin that lasts 24 hours. It helps with ADHD and also as an add-on to Effexor to combat depression. I like it so far, it's certainly subtle in comparison to amphetamines, but I prefer that.

Thank you for asking!

What's new with you? Are you still satisfied with your medicine?

Happy for you in regards to concerta. IIRC, amphetamines made everything "too easy" for you, and you prefer to learn how to get it done on your own. What a perfect substitute.

I'm always satisfied with my meds. Lamictal and Vraylar really work for me, and TBH all i really need is Lamictal, because i ran out of Vraylar for a week straight and felt no difference whatsoever. My life has been constant chaos for the past several months, and finally is starting to wind down. Back to my old ways of doing me and letting things fall into place naturally. I had one major slip up in the past that i am still recovering from, but i have a lot of support here on BL (mostly in the mod forum) family, and a couple friends. One friend was constantly calling me on my recent vacation to make sure i wasn't in jail, lol.

And i just ran into my cousin on Newbury Street in the city. Totally forgot he works out here. We're gunna get lunch on Thursday. My new job is challenging, and they already think i'm a good part time worker because they gave me 24, 28, and 36 hours respectively for the next three weeks. I wish i was prescribed amphetamines, but who am i kidding - i don't really need them and they would all just go up my nose ;)

Drugs no longer have their appeal, except for weed, which gives me a fresh outlook on life. Crack is too short lived, meth honestly doesn't even effect me like it did at first, and all the downers are just major downers. They may randomly drug test me in court because i recently got caught smoking on state property by campus police, and i'm on probation in mental health court. TBH i think that's the worst that would happen because my judge loves me. And it will definitely help me stay straight, too.

I do get bored easily, but i figure i'll just be on BL more or at work. Everything will fall into place.

You've been very productive and I'm really happy that things are going so well at work and drugs are losing their appeal. Your job is really crucial for your mental health and sobriety. You know the saying about "idle hands", staying busy is for the best. I'm proud of you! I wish I was capable of working, but I'm not right now. There's a lot of time to fill. Haha Therapy is going well though. I plan on hanging out with an old friend. He's very supportive.

You're absolutely right that everything will fall into place! It's always comforting to know this place is here and full of amazing, likeminded individuals. Keep up the excellent progress and have fun catching up with your cousin Thursday! ☺️

I stopped lithium a few weeks ago. I'm feeling a hell of a lot better now physically and about the same mentally. So I don't think it was a drug worth the risk or side effects. I always rolled my eyes when people suggested excersize will help depression but I'm finding that it does. I joined a softball league and I'm walking alot around the city. It's been helpful. I'm sleeping better and I haven't self harmed in 45 days. So yeah things are looking up at the moment.

Cj, walking works wonders. So good physically and mentally. One foot after another. Checking out people in the city. Taking it slow while people are honking their horns. The only need is to figure out where you'll stop for food.

I walk at least an hour a day. In my airforce ones. Boston has great public transportation, and I have a 50% off disability pass, but I still prefer to walk from one end to the other.

Damn i feel pretty good right now. Popped a bar, 1 hour later swallowed some "icream" on a full stomach, chilled with friends all night, went back home and started smoking some bud(rn) so I'm good lol, atm atleast. Sobers a different story lmao
Anxiety/anhedonia/depression

Last edited:
^ Yeah, it's nice to escape the negative thoughts. My problem is wanting to escape all the time. When I was addicted to Etizolam for years, it was because I wanted to erase myself, not face reality. That drug is like being possessed. I would walk around after midnight, lie in an open field and look at the stars. I always ended up blacking out for days. It made me go out with different people and do anything I felt like. My inhibitions were gone. It was the complete opposite of who I really am, a shy introvert. That addiction is over, it was close to ending me.

I'm still groggy from a tiny piece of Seroquel I took last night to get to sleep. Feeling like a walking corpse today.

Yeah it can do that.

I got used to the grogginess eventually and it actually helped with my depression a bit, especially if you're on a bit of lithium.

How long have you been on Seroquel?

And welcome to Bluelight BrooklynKid97.

Yes indeed, welcome to Bluelight!!

I was prescribed Seroquel a couple of months ago. I only take it when I really need it. It's not every single night. I prefer it over Trazodone. Trazodone made me feel much worst in the morning and it made my back hurt, it was weird.
Seroquel is great, but there's just a bit of grogginess. I didn't have to take it last night. Feeling good today.

Are you on Seroquel too?
Guess I should mention Seroquel is only prescribed to me for insomnia.

Last edited:
I used to be on it. It chilled me the fuck out and gave me a little boost in mood when I took in continually at night time. I had the best romantic partner under that drug and I attribute it partly to Seroquel :p

I stopped taking it ultimately because at the time I wasn't diagnosed bipolar, so once I got put on a mood stabilizer I no longer needed the Seroquel. IIRC, I was prescribed it mostly for dysthymia and agitation/aggressiveness.

I used to be on it. It chilled me the fuck out and gave me a little boost in mood when I took in continually at night time. I had the best romantic partner under that drug and I attribute it partly to Seroquel :p

I stopped taking it ultimately because at the time I wasn't diagnosed bipolar, so once I got put on a mood stabilizer I no longer needed the Seroquel. IIRC, I was prescribed it mostly for dysthymia and agitation/aggressiveness.

Hmmm so it helped with your sex life? Nice! It's just hard to imagine Seroquel would do that, now Adderall during sex on the other hand, wow. Haha
I won't miss it though.

This is one of my fave Bill Burr moments: "You look like the bitch that crawled out of the well in The Ring." Haha

You ever listen to his podcast? I'm listening to the one from today on Spotify.

It helped with my "game", for sure, because I wasn't over thinking things I was more just listening, speaking, listening then speaking. As opposed to thinking thinking thinking. Sex? Well, it isn't supposed to help with libido IIRC, but I remember that my ex woke me up one night when I was grogged the fuck out and we had the best sex we've ever had so I can't really say Seroquel did me too much wrong.

LOL that video's funny. Can totally relate to the whole, boy friend dating a psycho and not realizing it until she.. nee-ahh-haa-nee-ahh-haa's into the microphone. Lol.

I've listened to a couple of his podcasts with people chiming in asking for relationship advice which I find hilarious but I honestly don't have the attention span to listen to a whole cast. I'll try it again next time i'm bored which would be right now but I just OD'ed on Chinese food.