• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Google "Deep Dream" Appreciation Thread

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
I know this isn't new, but I've been playing with it today, and man is that thing cool! For those that don't know, you can run images through it and it processes them with machine learning techniques to produce some truly stunning and undeniably psychedelic alterations. So I wanted to post some of them I've done, and urge others to play with it too, and post them here.

To use it, go to https://dreamdeeply.com/ Have fun!

Here are mine:

This is psychedelic me:
RfbhKgX.jpg

Extra psychedelic broccoli that grows snake-birds in fractal formations:
AvODITN.jpg

Some of my pieces of art:
JtVsKfA.jpg

qaRBol1.jpg

kGR1YWp.jpg

EX38uAo.jpg

WlfZEim.jpg

A tiger growing roots:
XTnMNsC.jpg

A Colorado landscape at a wolf sanctuary I camped at... but I don't remember it looking... quite like this...
y4p5onf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, especially that boar/bird and the owl-dog.

I remember posting this in the mod forum. It was once an image of a dead bird settled next to a dose of narcan. It was originally a photo I took of the remnants of a scene of a near-fatal overdose. Always thought it was interesting that ghoulish figures and vehicles which could resemble police cars or e.m.t's popped up; and also the rather pensive looking dog-figure acting as guardian over the scene.

Wow, that's poignant... I remember the actual photo, but not this one.

Looking out my front door

zE0kikd0hag2mN9nOMUyxVll_dreamt.jpg

Catch and release opossum from last summer...

qcb28YISmQOWVld0nhbMw5IK_dreamt.jpg

Jack o lantern from way back, had yellow and purple mums on either side.

qQGvr4hdLQJ1SLkD3RMROpis_dreamt.jpg

Last edited:
If I walked out my door to see that first one, I'd March my ass back to bed lol.

Lovely Thread X

f-Nu09td-Opq-Ssbkfd-Fdpp-Xtp7-dreamt.jpg

This is the Hendy Celtic head, an Iron Age stone head in red sandstone, it has a flat scooped top on the head possibly for offerings, lentoid eyes, an enigmatic smile and a round lip hole. The source of the stone is over 80 miles away from where it was found, a long way to carry such a heavy object 2000 years ago. I love the way deep dream has given him eyes. It is possibly the god LUGH

Deep Dream gives everything eyes! And dog-bird-fox-mammals.

I'm going to try some of the other types it does.

Here are 3 different filters for the same photo of some azalea flowers that I took. The original is NSFWd for comparison.

NSFW:
KGomcZC.jpg

r5Oak0s.jpg

hcMl6ye.jpg

fWRlzRA.jpg

And this is a photo of SWIM*:

53tVbyR.jpg

* ;)

I forgot about this thread. It really sucks that my links from before are broken beyond repair now. I would've liked to see them again.

never really dabbled in deep mind but i get up to some AI art at home.

here's something i just whipped up for an example -

i can tweak it for whatever styles or vibes, tbh haven't even tried doing much "trippy" art because i have been more focused on fine-tuning for realism.

Nice man! That looks great. :) Did you code it yourself? I haven't delved into coding AI art (or anything AI, in fact). But it's fascinating to me.

thanks!

it's an open source software called stable diffusion, based on pytorch. there's not much coding required, but sometimes python packaging snafus to sort out.

the most resource intensive part is model training, but there are loads of pretrained models to download. doing inference, which produces the final image, also uses a lot of resources but it can be run on a high-end PC.

getting started is pretty easy but getting to the level of quality as the image above took weeks of experimenting with different models, prompts, style directives, repainting, etc.

the potential for this stuff seems limitless. there are already animations being made with it and i saw someone working on a storyboarding plugin that could be used to create comics or graphic novels.

it's becoming an exciting time to be alive :)

I have pareidolia anyway, so I always tend to see faces in everything. I'd like to take Deep Dream to my bathroom floor, because the tile patterns form some of the creepiest images I've ever seen (especially when I'm half-asleep with just the night light night in there).

Last edited: