Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread Scary or horror films

It's not exactly horror, but I found Irreversible plenty traumatic and disturbing.

^Oh, I remember that one. Fuck, that really fucked with my head- the rape scene is so incredibly awful, basically unwatchable. But, an interesting film nonetheless.

It's a great film IMO even though I don't think I will watch it a second time. After seeing it I could never again quite overlook how much cinema generally glamourises or fetishises violence and rape. This film makes you feel like a depiction of violence should make you feel.

If one would define the genre "Horror" in that it would have some supernatural ingredient, in that case The Excorcist is the king of them all without any doubt (in my mind).

From recently made ones only a few i could recall easy. Understand i have seen them all pretty much.

Excorcism of Emily Rose was pretty nasty, The Rite(2011) had proper moments

If one the other hand you would look at horror in a somewhat broader perspective i can recommend any movie from Garpar Noe, i recently saw his latest: Climax, to me this is horror that sticks.

Small list i made in case anyone is interested:

Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer (1986)
Martyrs (2008 version offcourse)
Inside(2007)
Trouble every day (2001)
Frontiers (2008)
Livide (2011)
1974 La posesi?n de Altair (2016)
Antichrist (2009)
Cheun (2010)
Haute Tension (2003)
Hounds of Love (2016)
Irriversible (2002)
Long.Weekend (1978)
Malgr? la nuit (2015)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
The Witch (2015)
Vinyan (2008)
Across.the.River (2013)
The.Eyes.of.My.Mother (2016)

Greets,

Jim

That new "Ma" movie looked fairly creepy until they pretty much gave the entire movie away by showing the parents of the kids knew the lady in the past. I'm going to guess they bullied her or something to her so she's getting revenge via their children.

The Possesion of Hannah Grace tries to be different from other exorcist movies in the sense that she died in the middle of it although fails a bit here and there & gives the story some predictability *for me it reminds me of Autopsy of Jane Doe*, on few scenes it's tries to ignore that and keep the wave somehow centered on psychologic elements, leaving this poor idea behind it's pretty okay, isn't something memorable but overall it's a nice take because it has good acting and a enjoyable flow. It's worth watching considering the 2017-2018 trashes, could've been worse.

Devil's Doorway

Very underrated.. Sad. I find the director sad in some ways, if he at least have invested a little bit more time in elements like ( Bleeding Mary, and see the ritual that was perfomed before ; - 2nd that respected and brought back old warps) it could expand it to 2h, taking the subject in consideration + some fan ideas are rarely asked and we could look at a top5 classic 60's. Def watch it but focus

I think you should rethink that name again, I looked up on IMDb and there are 2 films with the same name but different year ( 99 - 2019).~ Pet Sematary ~ which I think the newest that will be released will most likely as I read their storyline, a remake, and isn't released yet ( April 5). Be informative in your post so the people who want to see what the fuck it's actually about can do it correctly.

------

The City of Lost Children (1995). A lot of creativity was done there and I think you should pay attention to visuals & details a bit more since it's in France and.. the subtitle.

Altered States (1980). A Harvard scientist conducts experiments on himself with a hallucinatory drug and an isolation chamber that may be causing him to regress genetically.

The Night Visitor (1971). A man named Salem escapes from an insane asylum where he was confined for an axe-murder. Falsely convicted under a plea of "guilty due to insanity", he does not plan to let his sister and her husband forget that they were responsible for the murder of a farmhand and for his cruel imprisonment in the asylum

The Night Walker (1964). A woman is haunted by recurring nightmares, which seem to be instigated by her late husband who supposedly was killed in a fire.

The Ancines Woods (1970). Benito Freire is a peddler who lives miserably in an environment dominated by ignorance and superstition. He is dedicated to peddling by the Galician towns and suffers severe attacks of epilepsy. Through the region begins to spread the rumor that he is a werewolf and that he is possessed by a demonic spirit. And it will be precisely the stories that people are telling about him what start to make him go crazy.

The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970).
Harold Pelham encounters a duplicate of himself in the aftermath of a car crash. After that moment, his life is upset.

The Grandmother, same year haha. A young boy plants some strange seeds and they grow into a grandmother.

Atrocious (2010). Two teenage siblings endure a terrifying experience while investigating a rural legend near their family's vacation home.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976). 13-year-old Rynn Jacobs lives alone in a high-class Quebec small town, but unknown to the neighbors, she is leading a secret and dangerous life.

regards,

Winter

Last edited:
MV5BNjI1Yjk3NWUtOGU1My00NjA0LWEwNDQtOTNlMWFmYzE5NzljXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

An Arizona logger mysteriously disappears for five days in an alleged encounter with a flying saucer in 1975

Y : 1993. Adapted from a book.

51mkmOn%2BbRL._SY445_.jpg

A man who specializes in debunking paranormal occurrences checks into the fabled room 1408 in the Dolphin Hotel. Soon after settling in, he confronts genuine terror. It's a classic one.

Y: 2007

MV5BMTY2OTM0NDEyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTAzMDY4Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A thriller involving an ongoing unsolved mystery in Alaska. It has his atmosphere tricks.

Y : 2009

MV5BMjEzNDQ0MzM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA1NDM1Nw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

When Brent turns down his classmate Lola's invitation to the prom, she concocts a wildly violent plan for revenge.

Y : 2009

MV5BMTk0ODA1MzY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjQ0NzcyNDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Suspecting that people around him are turning into evil creatures, a troubled man questions whether to protect his only friend from an impending war, or from himself. About mental illness mostly, the human brain it's a fun thing isn't it, haha.

Y : 2015

MV5BMTY2NTQ3NTEzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzA0MzY1OTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Two girls must battle a mysterious evil force when they get left behind at their boarding school over winter break

268x0w.jpg

A story about a young man and woman who move into a small abandoned town in Iceland to renovate an old house. Little do they know the town has a dark history.

Y : 2017

MV5BMTg3OTM2OTc5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjMxNDM0NTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Two siblings become increasingly frightened by their grandparents' disturbing behavior while visiting them on vacation. From the same director that we got Split.

Have a fun week!

Last edited:
The babadook is most scary film I have ever seen.
Saw this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/ Dead Snow (nazis, zombies and snow) movie when coming down from 2 day amphetamine binge and holy shit did it feel uncomfortable. Then towards the ending it became quite the different movie but still a solid recommend from me. It also had massively more things that I can really feel "connected" to so that might have affected my viewing but still..
Also The autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) is most likely the best horror film I have seen this year.

Last edited:
I watched The Nun (2018 ) this past weekend with hopes of something good. I got a pocket full of meh in return for my time. Not a lot of blood or gore, a dose of supernatural and demons, but all in all, not worth the effort.

conjuring saga bullshit haha. I am bored by those type of horror, i'd rather watch the classic that started all this shit which has some unique elements ''Ghost'' ( 1990 ) for knowers. Depends on what you define horror. I saw a lot and got tired, I actually own a whole shelf full of DVD's/books, vintage treasures.

I'm just SUPER into the Italian Giallos, which if you don't know, are a specific type of Italian horror film which was particularly popular in the 1970s with directors like Dario Argento, Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci (not sure if Fulci is true "giallo" or more horror but he has giallo influence.)

"Giallo" means "yellow" and comes from Italian crime thriller novels written in the 1960s that always had yellow covers.

They follow specific motifs, some more thriller-murder mysteries and some more supernatural, often but not always with the following conditions: the killer is usually not seen until the end if seen at all and often wears black gloves, a black hat and/or black mask, often uses different types of knives but sometimes other hand held weapons but usually not guns. There's often, especially with Argento's movies, a lot of focus on scenery, colors, individual camera shots, Freudian and other types of symbolism, and music, over plot and character development.

Death scenes are meant to be "beautiful". Director Eli Roth (Hostel) said "Dario Argento put the 'gore' in 'goregous'". TOTALLY apt.

Dario Argento is my favorite and I have started collecting his DVDs and Giallo DVDs.

One of the best things about a few of his movies, specifically Deep Red, Suspiria, Phenomena and Tenebre, was the Italian Prog rock group "Goblin" who did the soundtrack who were SOO fucking good.

Just the other day I saw:

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971)
Inferno (1980)

And the 2018 remake of Suspiria, not by him though, which was excellent, though not as good as the original IMO.

I also rewatched Profonda Rossa (Deep Red) from 1975.

SUCH good shit.

Here are some trailers of his best movies:

Last edited:
hell yeah dario argento. love the white light (and connolley) in Phenomena.

fuck the remake. for a solid contemporary iteration, check out Amer by hélène cattet and bruno forzani. recommendation originally courtesy of Joe.

amer_italian_poster.jpg

hell yeah dario argento. love the white light (and connolley) in Phenomena.

fuck the remake. for a solid contemporary iteration, check out Amer by hélène cattet and bruno forzani. recommendation originally courtesy of Joe.

amer_italian_poster.jpg

What do you mean by "contemporary iteration" as far as this movie "Amer"?

Do you mean it is like Suspira?

I'll definitely check it out.

So you didn't like the Suspira remake?

I actually really did, just not as much as the original, but i thought it was a very good "rendition" rather than a remake.

I thought that they did the best they could with making it their own without having Goblin on the soundtrack and without using the color schemes Argento uses and replacing those with dance oriented visuals. I found it an interesting kind of "cover" rather than a "remake."

I know Argento was NOT happy with it, especially the lack of music being one thing he cited, but part of me wonders how much of that is genuine and how much it is that he probably would not be happy with ANYONE remaking it.

I mean, I think it's genuine to an extent and he has his reasons, but at the same time, I doubt anyone could have made a remake suitable for the creator under those conditions.

I still prefer the original of course, but I like what they did with it. It was like "how to make a Giallo in 2018 WITHOUT crazy colors or crazy music".

I mean, you just really probably can't very easily do 1970s Italian Giallo in the 21st century and have it be the same.

It was a VERY time-and-place-specific genre IMO, but perhaps some people can still pull it off.

I will totally check out "Amer" though.

remake was the first movie i’d bothered to see in theater in over a year. was pumped and went in open to a great film. found the emphasis on plot and backstory off putting. didn’t like the new, muted style. though i like your interpretation of dance specifically replacing the score and vivid lighting.

contemporary iteration of a giallo flick. and an homage. looking forward to hearing what you think of it.