• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Early Recovery

Thanks, Ash! You are awesome as usual. I'm okay. Hurting a bit, but it's bearable. I use the library computer so I'm not online every day.

Hope everyone is well and reasonably happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"The report of my death was an exaggeration." -- Mark Twain

Hi J,

I'm glad it's not too bad. And thanks for letting me know you don't have access every day, I begin to worry. ; ) Happy to hear from you, as always.

Much love,
your friend,
Ash.
Thanks, Ash! You are awesome as usual. I'm okay. Hurting a bit, but it's bearable. I use the library computer so I'm not online every day.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"The report of my death was an exaggeration." -- Mark Twain

Hey J,

Thinking of you, how's everything going with you?

Do you have any plans for the holidays?

Hugs my dear friend,
Ash.

Hi Ash! I'm okay-- still have the sciatica pain, but it's bearable with medication. Amazingly, I'm not overly abusing the oxy/hydro pills. I usually take 30mg a day and never more than 60mg, and that's only on a really busy work day.
Alas, no big plans for the holidays. I have only 3 living relatives: my mom (who lives with me), a half-brother I barely know (who lives in Germany), and a son I've never met (whom I assume is alive, but I don't know where). My friends are all doing stuff with their families. I will probably cook Xmas dinner for mom & me and we will exchange a couple of presents. Just being off work will be the best thing about the day for me, and that is just fine.

How about you? What's up? Any plans?

Hope everybody is well and reasonably happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"I've been very lucky in my life in terms of people who were able to tolerate me." -- Patton Oswalt

Hey J.

Are you and your mom pretty close? How old would your son be?

This is my first dinner where I've offered to make the dinner at Christmas. Just me and my folks, I don't know how to make a turkey dinner but I am going to make a ham dinner. So no one will starve at least. Lol. ; )

Shitty that your sciatica is still bothering you, but happy that you are able to manage it. I had sciatica that for a couple of months, I could not sleep. And it was REALLY bad when I went off my pain medication for a few months, I could NOT get the pain under control.

But one day I woke up and it was just gone, thank goodness, I hope that happens to you too.

Much love, you are an awesome person and a dear friend of mine, just wanted you to know I think so.

Hugs J,
your friend,
here if you ever need anything,
Ash.

Hi Ash! I'm okay-- still have the sciatica pain, but it's bearable with medication. Amazingly, I'm not overly abusing the oxy/hydro pills. I usually take 30mg a day and never more than 60mg, and that's only on a really busy work day.
Alas, no big plans for the holidays. I have only 3 living relatives: my mom (who lives with me), a half-brother I barely know (who lives in Germany), and a son I've never met (whom I assume is alive, but I don't know where). My friends are all doing stuff with their families. I will probably cook Xmas dinner for mom & me and we will exchange a couple of presents. Just being off work will be the best thing about the day for me, and that is just fine.

How about you? What's up? Any plans?

Peace&Love,
jasper

"I've been very lucky in my life in terms of people who were able to tolerate me." -- Patton Oswalt

Hi Ash! How did the dinner go? I cooked ham, too. I prefer turkey but it took Mom & me about 2 weeks to finish the turkey I made for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to my mom and everything is okay as long as we don't discuss politics. She's hard-core Republican. Also, she doesn't understand addiction at all despite the fact that she married 2 alcoholics and raised me. She never drank or smoked and doesn't even drink coffee. If she is in serious pain she might take ONE aspirin. So we really don't get each other on a couple of levels but we get along fine. She's 88 and starting to show signs of dementia so I will have to be there for her.

For Xmas I gave Dixie Chick a huge pig ear. It was tough as a rawhide bone and I thought it might last her a couple of days. She devoured it completely in less than 10 minutes. That's a pit bull for you.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves." -- Bill Vaughan

Hi honey!!!

Christmas dinner was great. Christmas having my family stay with me for a few days was not great. ; )
But I survived. Things are back to normal now. ; )

My mother is religious (fanatical) and quite judgmental, and loves to tell everyone her many conspiracy theories. So basically the opposite of me. I am kind to a fault, and completely non judgmental, so It was REALLY hard for me to bite my tongue. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say I'm this great fucking person or anything, it was just hard to handle.

I don't know, I guess I could have been nicer, and just ignored her instead of being triggered by the nonsense, you know?

Ahhh Mothers, we love them but it's always complicated.

That's hilarious about Dixie Chick and I'm glad you gave her a treat!!!

How's your day going today J? Plans for the New Year?

Kiss DC for me.

your friend always,
Ash.

Hi Ash! How did the dinner go? I cooked ham, too. I prefer turkey but it took Mom & me about 2 weeks to finish the turkey I made for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to my mom and everything is okay as long as we don't discuss politics. She's hard-core Republican. Also, she doesn't understand addiction at all despite the fact that she married 2 alcoholics and raised me. She never drank or smoked and doesn't even drink coffee. If she is in serious pain she might take ONE aspirin. So we really don't get each other on a couple of levels but we get along fine. She's 88 and starting to show signs of dementia so I will have to be there for her.

For Xmas I gave Dixie Chick a huge pig ear. It was tough as a rawhide bone and I thought it might last her a couple of days. She devoured it completely in less than 10 minutes. That's a pit bull for you.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves." -- Bill Vaughan

Yes, loving our mothers is indeed complicated. I have to ignore Mom's right-wing comments a lot. I usually just change the subject. She really is a nice lady; just blindly narrow-minded in certain ways. She ain't gonna change at 88.

Ash, I think you are indeed a great fucking person! This world needs more compassionate people like you.

Wish you could meet Dixie. You two would adore each other. She is such a sweetheart-- I'm not saying that just because she's my dog, either. Everybody that meets her loves her.

No big plans for New Year's Day as I am working. I expect to be feeding a lot of hungover people. They will have my sympathy; I certainly know the feeling! I'm not making any New Year's resolutions, either. Why set myself up for disappointment? I pretty much live one day at a time anyway.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing." -- Socrates

Happy New Year J!!! Don't work too hard today!!!

Much love to you!!

Your friend,
Ash.

new-year-wallpaper-hd.png

2Q==

Yes, loving our mothers is indeed complicated. I have to ignore Mom's right-wing comments a lot. I usually just change the subject. She really is a nice lady; just blindly narrow-minded in certain ways. She ain't gonna change at 88.

Ash, I think you are indeed a great fucking person! This world needs more compassionate people like you.

Wish you could meet Dixie. You two would adore each other. She is such a sweetheart-- I'm not saying that just because she's my dog, either. Everybody that meets her loves her.

No big plans for New Year's Day as I am working. I expect to be feeding a lot of hungover people. They will have my sympathy; I certainly know the feeling! I'm not making any New Year's resolutions, either. Why set myself up for disappointment? I pretty much live one day at a time anyway.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing." -- Socrates

Last edited:
Best wishes in the new year, Ash. Love ya!

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." -- Frederick Douglass

Thinking of you my friend.

How is the New Year treating you so far? I hope you're having a wonderful day J!!!

Don't work too hard and give DC a kiss for me please.

Much love,
your friend,
Ash.

Doing okay, Ash. You?

I get a lot of Dixie kisses whether I want 'em or not, so you're covered, too.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"You can't be that kid standing at the top of the water slide overthinking it. You have to go down the chute." -- Tina Fey

I'm getting by J,

Thanks for asking. I am glad the holidays are over though. Mine were terrible, lol.

How's your job?

Hugs,
Ash.

Doing okay, Ash. You?

I get a lot of Dixie kisses whether I want 'em or not, so you're covered, too.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"You can't be that kid standing at the top of the water slide overthinking it. You have to go down the chute." -- Tina Fey

Hey Ash. Sorry your holidays were terrible. I'm not a fan of Xmas, but I do like starting a new year. There's the illusion of a fresh start, ya know?

My job is great. It is physically demanding-- I work from 7am to 3pm or so and get maybe one or two 5min breaks. Most of that time is spent over a hot grill. Not a job for sissies! We are a very busy restaurant and we serve great (and expensive) food. It pays well and I love my co-workers. We're a good team. Also, at least a third of us are recovering alcoholics/addicts. At 59, I am by far the oldest employee; most of them are 20- or 30-somethings. I get some good-natured ribbing about being a "senior citizen," and I dish back about them being clueless kids. It's a fun place to work.

Dixie Chick sends her love&kisses.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Oh man you sound so good!!!

God I'm proud of you, your job sounds good and you sound even better. Is your job Italian cuisine?

I know I tell you all the time but you really are the best and I'm happy to have a friend like you.

Kisses back to DC and to you. ; )

Love,
your friend,
Ash.

Hey Ash. Sorry your holidays were terrible. I'm not a fan of Xmas, but I do like starting a new year. There's the illusion of a fresh start, ya know?

My job is great. It is physically demanding-- I work from 7am to 3pm or so and get maybe one or two 5min breaks. Most of that time is spent over a hot grill. Not a job for sissies! We are a very busy restaurant and we serve great (and expensive) food. It pays well and I love my co-workers. We're a good team. Also, at least a third of us are recovering alcoholics/addicts. At 59, I am by far the oldest employee; most of them are 20- or 30-somethings. I get some good-natured ribbing about being a "senior citizen," and I dish back about them being clueless kids. It's a fun place to work.

Dixie Chick sends her love&kisses.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Thanks Ash! No, it's not Italian (that would be great) but it is good food. It's primarily breakfast/brunch/lunch.

Back at ya with kisses from me & DC!

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Ash, you are so sweet! Thanks for making my day! :)

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Those that can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -- Voltaire

Y?all are all still round. If y?all can?t tell when I?m not around I?m running hard. This last run has changed things. Legal probs now. Quitting for real now. Fuck d. It?s gonna kill me or I?ll die in jail. I don?t want either. Gotta get my head clear. I?ll fill y?all in here soon. It?ll take a thread.
Good luck guys!