• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Early Recovery

I've been avoiding this site because I can't seem to stop using, but i'm on day 4 of withdrawal (again) and finally have energy to form coherent sentences. I guess i'm just poking around looking for inspiration and wanted to say hi. I seem to get through the worst of it and then come 2 weeks I give up out of sheer boredom and lack of energy. Repeat x 30 :(

I've been avoiding this site because I can't seem to stop using, but i'm on day 4 of withdrawal (again) and finally have energy to form coherent sentences. I guess i'm just poking around looking for inspiration and wanted to say hi. I seem to get through the worst of it and then come 2 weeks I give up out of sheer boredom and lack of energy. Repeat x 30 :(

Not a problem, SL is also for people who want to get stop using :)

I'd encourage you to start your own recovery journal about this kinda stuff. Do it whenever you feel ready, there's no rush.

If you need anything or get discouraged, shoot me a PM. You may find it useful to get feedback from other people on your plans. Many minds are greater than one, after all %)

Yeah, I've certainly been there more times than I can count. Hang in there. If I can get sober, anybody can. Coming up on 100 days soon.

I use the recovery community as my "Higher Power." That includes SL here and real-life AA & NA meetings. I don't buy into all the 12-Step stuff, but I do benefit from associating with recovering alcoholics/addicts.

Mainly, I stay focused on TODAY. I know I can get through one day. I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Peace&Love,
jasper

I've never woke up in the morning wishing I'd gotten drunk the night before.

Hello my dear friend jasper!!!

Been dealing with pain issues the past week. But I'm okay. Thinking of you and how much you've accomplished, you really are the best, you know that???

Big hugs J.
your friend,
Ash.

Ps, I LOVE that quote. ; )

hikfromstik: Yeah, I've detoxed off methadone twice and it does take a while. Seems like the first 2 to 3 weeks were the worst, though.

EPL1: Hi Ash! I'm doing fine. You?

Peace&Love,
jasper

"My father warned me about men and booze but he never said anything about women and cocaine." -- Tallulah Bankhead

Ash, you are wonderful! Sorry about the pain thing. Hope you feel better soon.

Day 100. Doing okay despite being in a bit of a funk. A little depressed and still fuzzy about what I want to do with myself. As is my nature, I'm procrastinating and not making any serious decisions. But in early recovery I guess that's okay.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having." -- Mitch Hedberg

Where ever do you get your quotes jasperkent?!

It's like the golden days of old time BL thanks to you. So much wisdom, I love it =D

You and SoCal424 would make the most wise team of recovery guru's ever :)

toothpastedog, you are too kind. If anything, I'm an expert on what NOT to do.

Some quotes I've carried around with me for years. Others I run across on the net. I love quotes. They make me look witty without actually having to be smart or original.

Hope you all are well and happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." -- Alison Boulter

Good morning j!!

I hope you're having a good day today, you sure do deserve it!!

Much love,
your friend,
Ash.

Thanks, Ash! Back atcha!

Peace&Love,
jasper

A wise woman once said "fuck this shit" and she lived happily ever after. -- source unknown

Some good news for me is that I am getting involved with 3 self-help programs.

So far I have been going to a program called SOS, program as in meetings. Nice group of kind people. More than one or two have been clean for years which is a good sign. No dogma involved.

Also checking out Refuge Recovery which starts here in 2 weeks. That will be once a week. As a Buddhist (a bad one I admit) I am excited for it.

And the third one does not deal with addiction specifically but does address compulsions which is what addictions essentially are. Recovery International. Founded by neuropsychiatrist Abraham Low in 1937. It looks like it is really holistic and complete in the way it challenges the psychological mechanisms behind self-destructive behaviors and thinking. Excited for it.

Also had a blast at a mental health (I am not mentally ill outside of addiction) writing and poetry meeting this morning. 2 hours long and we wrote stuff and read it to each other the whole time. Really creative stuff. Very friendly people (most seem mentally ill and not due to addiction from the look of it but I am fine with that). Will be attending every other week.

I have not felt so confident and hopeful with recovery for a long time.

Last edited:
Excellent, Save! Keep us posted.

I'm just plodding along, putting one foot in front of the other, trying to do the next right thing.
Hope everyone is well and happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." --Steven Wright

100_year_old_woman_birthday_cake.jpg
Happy over 100 days J!!!! That's awesome and so are you!! Much love to you my dear friend!! P.S thought you'd get a kick out of this!! lol! Take care, Ash.

Thanks, Ash! You are so awesome! Yes, I love the pic. Hope you are well and happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic." -- Ron White

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm finally getting off my lazy ass and looking for another job. Ideally, I'd find something part-time so I can keep the one I've got but if something full-time pops up that's very attractive, who knows? All I'm sure of is that I need to make more money and I have too much free time. I'm just grateful that I'm even in the condition to be employable.

Peace&Love,
jasper

When I hear somebody sigh 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask 'Compared to what?' -- Sydney J. Harris

Wow j, that's really great to hear how well you're doing!!!

I hope a really fantastic full time job comes along for you!

You're just the greatest guy, you really deserve the best!!

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Ash, you are so sweet! How are you doing? I hope your pain is not too bad.

No luck yet on the job thing, but I'm looking.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." -- George Eliot

Hi jasperkent love to hear that people are doing well it makes me really want to sort myself out again. Well done sir

Thanks, lady, and also thanks for the Motivation/Happy Feels thread you started. Great idea!

Peace&Love,
jasper

It is a random universe to which we bring meaning. -- Sheldon Kopp

Hi y'all!
I wanted to share this article I read last night. If you are not familiar with the monthly magazine, The Sun, I strongly encourage you to look into it. Really good publication. Fiction, nonfiction, interviews, photography. I am hooked on this magazine. I even contributed to it once. Enjoy:

https://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/514/tea-time

Peace&Love,
jasper

All important decisions must be made on the basis of insufficient data. -- Sheldon Kopp