• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

DHC + Prometh

czech

Greenlighter
Hello i found 3 packet DHC 60mg and Promethazine 25mg.
I wanna ask u if i took any dhc, prometh and smoke weed could it get me high ?
I have never had DHC neither Prometh.
I have good tolerance for opium( i used codeine,tramadol recreational).
Do you think that's good combo for relax and watching tv?
Do these substances work together?
I read that dhc has controlled release, is to good for recreational?
Thanks for advice!

No, extended release isn't good for recreational purposes. You will need to crush the tablet or chew it to make it instant release and get the 60mg all at once in your bloodstream. It depends on your tolerance really. 60mg of instant release dhc are ok if you have a very low tolerance.
If you take around 120mg of codeine to get high and that's enough for you then 60mg of dhc are about the same as that theoretically. Promethazine is a sedating antihistamine that will contribute to making you feel sleepy. You don't need more than 25-50mg of that at once. In bigger quantities it will cause delirium.
Yes, sedating antihistamines like promethazine are commonly used to potentiate the nod from opioids and also to prevent itching that comes with them. You itch with opioids because they release histamine.

This is a very old post but thought I would reply anyway. You posted this in a section that is not correct for the type of question you have since it's not about testing pills. That's probably why you didn't get any reply before mine.

Last edited:
Not all DHC is controlled release, they also come as instant release but I think that's just 30mh and 40mg formulations. If they 60mg they're most likely DHC continus by napp pharmaceuticals. You can crush them to somewhat breakdown the time release component, but they use a mixture of polymers making it more difficult than your standard CR tablet. Crushing alone will only work to a certain extent. You can crush them and dissolve the powder in slightly acidic water, which will fully break down these polymers and release the DHC immediately. Just add a small amount of lemon juice to some water and leave the crushed pills in it for several hours, stirring occasionally. When all gooey and broken down, drink the solution or plug it.
But be aware of DHC, it can be a lot stronger than codeine. IME its about twice as potent by weight, takes 2-3x longer to come on than codeine, and can easily mess you up if you take too much.

Not all DHC is controlled release, they also come as instant release but I think that's just 30mh and 40mg formulations. If they 60mg they're most likely DHC continus by napp pharmaceuticals. You can crush them to somewhat breakdown the time release component, but they use a mixture of polymers making it more difficult than your standard CR tablet. Crushing alone will only work to a certain extent. You can crush them and dissolve the powder in slightly acidic water, which will fully break down these polymers and release the DHC immediately. Just add a small amount of lemon juice to some water and leave the crushed pills in it for several hours, stirring occasionally. When all gooey and broken down, drink the solution or plug it.
But be aware of DHC, it can be a lot stronger than codeine. IME its about twice as potent by weight, takes 2-3x longer to come on than codeine, and can easily mess you up if you take too much.
Instant release Dhc is 30mg or 40mg. The extended release pills are 60, 90 or 120mg. If he had 60mg pills they could only be extended release.
I was buying the extended release 120mg tabs and just splitting them in a half to be honest and the controlled release mechanism was defeated. I've switched to oxy and morphine together now but 240mg of dhc would still have me nod nicely.
I have so much experience with all kinds of dhc. It's much better than codeine.
It's still my favourite and I've done heroin, fentanyl, morphine and oxy etc.
Plugging would be better as far as bioavailability than oral. Oral absorption of dhc is about 20%.

Last edited:
Maybe they make different CR formulations in other countries, but the 60s ive ever seen in the UK are dhc continus which definitely arent made IR by splitting them. And as far as I know the conversion to dihydromorphine is 20% but it's also active on its own which isn't true for codeine.

Maybe they make different CR formulations in other countries, but the 60s ive ever seen in the UK are dhc continus which definitely arent made IR by splitting them. And as far as I know the conversion to dihydromorphine is 20% but it's also active on its own which isn't true for codeine.
Dihydrocodeine in the US, for example, exists only as a formulation with caffeine and NSAIDs. Dihydrocodeine on itself isn't available. It's also not really prescribed much. One of my friends there is prescribed it because she had been living here in the UK and came to like it and doesn't wanna go back to being dependent on hydrocodone. She has to import it illegally from the UK now because she doesn't get on with the caffeine in the US prescription she has.

Well I used to split all the DHC Continus tabs I have had and I have done 60mg, 90mg and 120mg and they definitely don't work as prolonged release like if they had been left whole. They are made of a polymer and yes, that type won't ever become truly IR but once the tab isn't whole anymore the prolonged release mechanism is not gonna work as intended anymore. That is a fact.
The bioavailability is 20%. You got mixed up with that. That means only 20% gets into the bloodstream after metabolism. Nothing to do with how much of it gets metabolised into specifically dihydromorphine. According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source ever but it's still a source and I haven't found much else about this aspect) the percentage of dihydromorphine as a metabolite is negligible, so definitely not 20%. DHC is active on its own, that's correct and it's different from codeine, and it is what gives analgesia and gets you high as the rest of the metabolites are a negligible percentage.

Dihydrocodeine in the US, for example, exists only as a formulation with caffeine and NSAIDs. Dihydrocodeine on itself isn't available. It's also not really prescribed much. One of my friends there is prescribed it because she had been living here in the UK and came to like it and doesn't wanna go back to being dependent on hydrocodone. She has to import it illegally from the UK now because she doesn't get on with the caffeine in the US prescription she has.

Well I used to split all the DHC Continus tabs I have had and I have done 60mg, 90mg and 120mg and they definitely don't work as prolonged release like if they had been left whole. They are made of a polymer and yes, that type won't ever become truly IR but once the tab isn't whole anymore the prolonged release mechanism is not gonna work as intended anymore. That is a fact.
The bioavailability is 20%. You got mixed up with that. That means only 20% gets into the bloodstream after metabolism. Nothing to do with how much of it gets metabolised into specifically dihydromorphine. According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source ever but it's still a source and I haven't found much else about this aspect) the percentage of dihydromorphine as a metabolite is negligible, so definitely not 20%. DHC is active on its own, that's correct and it's different from codeine, and it is what gives analgesia and gets you high as the rest of the metabolites are a negligible percentage.

Metabolized in the liver by CYP 2D6 into an active metabolite, dihydromorphine, and by CYP 3A4 into secondary primary metabolite, nordihydrocodeine. A third primary metabolite is dihydrocodeine-6-glucuronide. (Hutchinson MR, Menelaou A, Foster DJ, Coller JK, Somogyi AA: CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 involvement in the primary oxidative metabolism of hydrocodone by human liver microsomes. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2004 Mar)
That where I got the idea that dihydrocodeines primary active metabolite is dihydromorphine followed by nordihydrocodeine both in large enough quantities to provide analgesia.

I was always under the impression that dihydromorphine played a larger role in its effect, but I stand corrected, it doesn't (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9190849/).
However, as a formulation scientist by trade I can assure you that any increase in api release is minimal when just splitting the tablet and based on the small increase in surface area if anything. The polymer system used in DHC continus just doesn't work like that. No end of users will attest to that.

if you ever try the 30mg IR tabs you'll see theres a big difference between them and dhc continus, even when you think you've defeated the MR system.

I was always under the impression that dihydromorphine played a larger role in its effect, but I stand corrected, it doesn't (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9190849/).
However, as a formulation scientist by trade I can assure you that any increase in api release is minimal when just splitting the tablet and based on the small increase in surface area if anything. The polymer system used in DHC continus just doesn't work like that. No end of users will attest to that.
I can only answer by saying on the packaging it says to swallow whole and not chew the tablet so splitting it must have an effect on the prolonged release mechanism or the warning wouldn't be necessary.
I never claimed that it makes the tab exactly like an instant release one.
I split my DHC Continus 120mg that I just got this week and they come on pretty much like when I take your standard 30mg instant release ones. I'm talking about myself here only. Even with normal instant release pills I tend to take them when I have a full stomach so they take a while anyway all the same to come on for me. I don't notice a big difference personally.
Everyone is different and what I do works for me. I know for a fact that they cease being perfect prolonged release ones once they get split into pieces. I never said they become perfect instant release ones anyway.
With those polymer ones it's not easy to defeat the prolonged release mechanism completely.

Like I said, dihydromorphine is certainly one of the metabolites but DHC is mostly active by itself or otherwise it would be mostly a pro drug for other metabolites like codeine works and it's not the case. I've searched for studies about it many times as I'm a dhc fan and they seemed to confirm that these metabolites aren't produced in large quantities.

Ok sorry my bad, my experienced differed greatly with dhc continus. I found even crushing to a fine powder wouldn't defeat the polymer system and if I had to gets I'd say it was still at least 50% less effective than IR. There were times I'd take up to 540mg crushed ti a fine powder only to experience a lot of the attributes of slow release. I know many many people who've had similar issues. These were always the same brand by Napp pharmaceuticals. Again, perhaps you get a differnt formulation? I find the same with Napps MR morphine tabs, really hard to get it to be IR. I assumed dhc was just a bit shit until I got 30mg IR tabs. 180-210mg of IR dhc is a good solid dose from a nice long high.

In regards to mechanism of action. I don't see why dihydrocodeines metabolites wouldn't play a similar role to hydrocodones metabolites, dihydromorphine, dihydrocodeine and hydromorphone. While hydrocodone is active alone it also produces active metabolite (along with their corrisponding 3- and 6- glucuronides), and I don't see why dihydrocodeins metabolites would be any less important.
The only figures I can really find for dihydromorphine production in vivo is at around ~3%, again along with the corrisponding glucuronide at an undetermined amount and of unknown potency. This would also somewhat explain why there is so much debate over how much stronger dihydrocodeine is than codeine. I find it at least twice a potent by weight, others say the difference isn't even noticeable.

I'm not denying your exeriences with them just that you may have had a differnt formulation or my tolerance was higher than I thought back then lol. my IR tabs say to take whole too though. It's just part of the product licensing to take it as is, they put it on loads of XR and IR tablets.