• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do Invega Sustenna or Effexor block mushroom effects at all?

hoffsteader

Bluelighter
Just curious if anybody knows whether or not Invega Sustenna or Effexor block the effects of mushrooms or other psychedelics. I'm on both of these meds and noticed that my last mushroom trip with 3.5g was milder than I would have expected, missing some of the eurphoria that I used to get. It could have been that I was in a lousy environment but I suspect that my meds might have something to do with it.

I'm planning a new trip with an increased dose to make up for any potential effects of these meds, hoping that will work.

Thanks!

using substances while on psych meds is not recommended and may make your experience worse. using substances when you have a mental illness (not sure why your on either) can make symptoms and daily life harder to manage.

i have no idea about effexor. invega sustenna being the injection it does block all drug and alcohol related usage for just about anyone who has had a negative reaction to it and even some positive use from it. (there are less than a handful of drugs left to try but highly not recommended as they are the hardcore ones)

mushrooms are the only thing that even come close to what it was like pre-invega. we estimate around %90 and up being the same. we have not kept track of which spores are more effective in achieving the desired effects but shrooms from a few continents and even from different areas of usa have produced the same desired results. micro dosing has been tried twice to see if it could reverse the negative effects of invega. one is still out on it and the other said it helped on a daily basis but not the "antidote" we look for.

the dosing doesn't matter much, it depends on your tolerances. please be careful and respect your limits if you decide to use while on the injection, you can easily go too far with how much you take, it's tricky like that.

if you have any negative reactions to the med or know anyone who does there is a coming off of invega sustenna thread in the mental health forum. there is the original one and a v.2., both have lots of info and those who suffer meet and talk so we can help. if not and it's helping you then more power to you.

Invega probably blocks it. Most (maybe all) atypical antipsychotics block the 5ht2a receptor (among others) which is what shrooms hit.

The classic antipsychotics are not serotonin antagonists (at least the ones I know of. I was on moban and it didn't block trips.)

Thanks for the responses. I'm disappointed to find out that invega may be blocking drug effects. I'm also concerned about long-term possibilities of tardive dyskinesia which I've heard can result from chronic antipsychotic use. I've mentioned once stopping the medication to my doctor and he doesn't seem to like the idea at all so for now I'm stuck on it.

If you don't have a court order I would stop taking the shot.

Invegna and risperidone cause a massive spike in prolactin (which can cause breast tissue growth.)

Invega probably blocks it. Most (maybe all) atypical antipsychotics block the 5ht2a receptor (among others) which is what shrooms hit.

The classic antipsychotics are not serotonin antagonists (at least the ones I know of. I was on moban and it didn't block trips.)

"Typical" antipsychotics are primarily dopamine antagonists, yes. I believe the butyrophenones (haloperidol) tend to be fairly selective for dopamine, whereas the phenothiazines (ex.: chlorpromazine) may also have decent 5HT2A antagonism.

It is this dopamine antagonism that seems to result in a spike in prolactin levels, although this is generally considered a relatively minor issue compared to their other side effects.

Second-generation or "atypical" antipsychotics are primarily 5HT2A blockers, and as such will seriously dampen any kind of trip. Out of these, risperidone/paliperidone (risperdal/Invega) can be considered the most "conservative", as it also has decent affinity for dopamine receptors, making it a highly effective medication in stopping and preventing psychotic behavior. Olanzapine is similarly effective while barely affecting dopamine receptors, although this is due to its blocking effect on other serotonin and adrenaline receptors, which can result in side-effects including significant weight gain and low pressure. As such, at least at low doses, risperidone/paliperidone is probably the more well-tolerated solution.

If Invega works for OP, they should probably think long and hard before stopping it altogether. They could try reducing the dose if they're feeling up for it, though.

In some cases of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia, patients have had success with switching to or adding on aripiprazole, which is sometimes referred to as a "third-generation" antipsychotic due to its action as a partial agonist at the D2 dopamine receptor, which can moderate the activity of these dopamine receptors to a level where there is a much lower risk of hyperprolactinemia.

@hoffsteader: i can't tell you what to do but i suggest staying away from abilify (aripiprazole) while on invega.

the 4 hardest injections i spoke of in that PM, this pill is one of them and i've heard of two people while on the invega injection that have taken the abilify injection and the pill. it made things worse.

you don't experience negative side effects/withdrawal symptoms like we do. you don't suffer. so it might not affect you the same way but it is still kinda risky. that would be a first for me to hear of, someone who doesn't suffer and on abilify, if you do that PM me and let me know of your experiences. that running track record and all that.

you might want to check and see if Effexor and Abilify have any negative interactions as well. like you said, do your homework. (smart thinking)

check out the vyvanse thread they might be able to help you with some personal info. look up the side effects/withdrawal symptoms from it on the net and maufacturer's website. if you experience any life threatening problems please go to your local E.R.. that's about all anyone can say on BL. no one here is able to give you professional medical advice. careful with the "by accident" even if it was, it's kinda close to using that S.W.I.M. thing. just say how much of what kind and in what frame of time. that's the relevant info that anyone needs to know. we're not judging you here.

here's the link to the vyvanse thread: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/366326-VYVANSE-MEGATHREAD-your-Vyvanse-thread-has-been-merged-here?highlight=vyvnase

Last edited:
so I was drunk and half asleep and I thought they were my mints, because I have chewable vyvanse and I didn't mean to even do it, im so mad at myself.

No I haven't literally I don't take it for recreation, I'm so mad at myself and it doesn't help i have panic disorder.

Honestly I would recommend going to the hospital if only to ask for a valium or something to calm you and your heart down. I don't really know if they would do this, but I'm sure if you explained it was an accident they would understand the danger of the situation.

Thankfully I have xanax, which is medically prescribed like every thing I take. UGh i just was so worried, because it wasn't even intentional!!

OK glad to hear you got that on hand. Yeah that would be scary man, I'm guessing you didn't sleep lol?

Literally I slept till 3am, then drunkenly and tiredly walk over to grab my mints, grabbed a fistful of meds instead.... like omg