Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

How Hollywood became hooked on the 'jump scare'

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
I thought this was a somewhat interesting article . . .

How Hollywood became hooked on the 'jump scare'

Are we becoming harder to scare or are movie makers getting lazier?

We've all seen the "jump scare" cliche: the unexpected figure in bathroom mirrors or the movement behind a drafty curtain that turns out to be a cat.
The trope consists of an abrupt shift in image or movement, usually accompanied with sudden, booming audio. Its sole intention is to physically startle an audience.

Critics see its overuse in modern horror as a measure of lazy filmmaking. Master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock wasn't a fan. "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it," he pontificated.

Data collected from the Where's The Jump? website shows the average jump scare per film in this decade has tripled since the 1960s. While there are celebrated exceptions to the rule, like Toni Collette's latest movie, Hereditary, the number of movies employing frequent cheap scares has also increased decade-on-decade.

Where's the jump?

-Source

God I love horror movies, alot of the the less hyped ones tend to be the best. I tend to agree, alot of the big budget ones feel tacky and lazy in recent years... almost to the point of being comical in some cases.

The best horror films for me a more subtle kind of terror; It Follows is a great example of a fantastic and eerie recent horror movie.

On a sort of different vein, the recent Gerald's Game adaptation freaked me the fuck out! :D I also really enjoyed this slow-burn post apocalyptic move, It Comes At Night.

I actually think all 3 featured jump scares at one point or another though :p

What less hyped ones do you like tubbs? Do share!

Trick R' treat was a good one, along with devour, both mid 2000s.

Not gonna lie I like the super corny stuff too, I don't scare much, so if I can catch a laugh I'm happy too.

Love horror movies though its harder to find good ones these days. The last really scary movie I watched was REC, its a Spanish horror and its like being on a white knuckle ride for a hour 8o I challenge anyone to watch it alone in the dark and not be terrified.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

^I will have to try that one again; for some reason, I recall abandoning it after 20 minutes, can't recall why- I do enjoy found-footage. I thought Cloverfield was a damn good sci-fi horror-ish thing.