• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

IV Rush

vmat2

Greenlighter
It's a popular opinion among a lot of meth users that the only true way to ''rush'' on meth is from an IV injection.

I've personally never injected meth, but have heard enough people say it to where I'm convinced it's true.

My question is, what's the pharmacology or chemical explanation to this phenomenon? Isn't meth just meth just meth, whether you smoke it or snort it, or in this case IV it?

I understand variable bioavailability. But what would make it, as one user quaintly put it, feel like ''taking another, different drug entirely?''

Last edited:
smoking drugs produces a faster peak brain drug concentration than iv... whoops

in either case usually the "sharper" the peak the stronger the subjective effects of the drug, meaning smoked/iv is more "potent" than using nasally/orally.

Meth I don't think the rush is particularly better either way smoking vs IV if you have no tolerance to the drug.

I've never had a tolerance to meth because I never used it more than one dose separated by months or years...but I imagine if you are a regular use it will be easier to get a bigger hit all at once in IV than smoking

Keep in mind that smoking may pyrolize some of the drug and produce other chemicals with different or interfering activity

You can get a big dose to hit your brain all at once

Same thing can be achieved from smoking it but it’s wasteful and most people don’t smoke it this way they take tiny puffs. Not a giant rip.

Well I decided to do some searching and found an article on meth pharmacokinetics (Schepers et al.). Absolutely fascinating data:

Following human administration via inhalation of 22 mg of meth, the concentration of meth in plasma peaked at c_max = 46.1 mcg/L after 2.5 hours.

Following IV administration of 15.5 mg, the concentration of meth in plasma peaked at c_max = 101 after 4 minutes.

Although the bioavailability of both routes are high, IV onset is instant in comparison. Most likely, this sudden flood of meth translates into the feeling of the rush.

Hopefully this scares some people away from IV. Some doors are best left unopened.

Well I decided to do some searching and found an article on meth pharmacokinetics (Schepers et al.). Absolutely fascinating data:

Following human administration via inhalation of 22 mg of meth, the concentration of meth in plasma peaked at c_max = 46.1 mcg/L after 2.5 hours.

Following IV administration of 15.5 mg, the concentration of meth in plasma peaked at c_max = 101 after 4 minutes.

Good find. Given the fact that the time to reach maximum concentration for vapour inhalation is more similar to that for swallowing a pill (2.9-3.6 hours, as compiled in this paper) than that for IV administration, I would imagine that the drug is mostly being absorbed through mucus membranes and not through the lungs. It would be interesting to see the value for vapourization via meth pipe.

On another note, I had never heard of Desoxyn Gradumet! I suppose it's no surprise that it didn't stick around for long.

Although the bioavailability of both routes are high, IV onset is instant in comparison. Most likely, this sudden flood of meth translates into the feeling of the rush.

Hopefully this scares some people away from IV. Some doors are best left unopened.

nah it's fucking awesome. I have no regrets trying IV methamphetamine. 10/10, would bang again.

^Not very becoming of a moderator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/health/drugs-opioids-addiction-heart-endocarditis.html

Don't do it. It is entirely not worth it. After six months of abstinence, most drug addicts have significantly less symptoms given that they comply with the entire treatment protocol. Except for meth. In the case of meth, it's 12 months. It will burn your brain out.

What starts as a "great find" turns into hell. Otherwise good people become emaciated and mal/under nourished, violent, psychotic, criminals. It can ruin relationships with all friends and family, and quite readily. You will pawn anything.

Otherwise good people end up in prison or dead if they don't stop. Dental bills will run sky-high. One will have to be on antipsychotics for their whole life. And I have seen, personally, people who've literally lost their mind because they wouldn't stop tweaking. And they paid money for it...

With many substances, an acute tolerance develops before even most has been absorbed (when taken by mouth). Nicotine is the most extreme example, you will not feel any positive effects from it if you don't administer it in a way where it gets quickly in the bloodstream.

^Not very becoming of a moderator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/health/drugs-opioids-addiction-heart-endocarditis.html

Don't do it. It is entirely not worth it. After six months of abstinence, most drug addicts have significantly less symptoms given that they comply with the entire treatment protocol. Except for meth. In the case of meth, it's 12 months. It will burn your brain out.

What starts as a "great find" turns into hell. Otherwise good people become emaciated and mal/under nourished, violent, psychotic, criminals. It can ruin relationships with all friends and family, and quite readily. You will pawn anything.

Otherwise good people end up in prison or dead if they don't stop. Dental bills will run sky-high. One will have to be on antipsychotics for their whole life. And I have seen, personally, people who've literally lost their mind because they wouldn't stop tweaking. And they paid money for it...

I am just speaking from experience.

It has definitely ruined many lives.