• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids cough syrup containing diphenhydramine, codeine and... ammonium chloride?

dopiejay

Bluelighter
hi all. i utfse'd and found nothing on this. where I live we can buy a cough syrup OTC which contains a mixture of codeine, diphenhydramine and ammonium chloride. i recently picked up a bottle for a brutal cough and started thinking 'hmmm, codeine and diphenhydramine? I'm worried, however, about the ammonium chloride concentration. is this substance even safe to ingest? thanks

What's the concentration of ammonium chloride? A quick google search tells me that the stuff is fairly safe to ingest but might cause vomiting in higher the. normal doses.

What's the codeine:diphenhydramine:ammonium ratio in the syrup?

i have discovered that it's basically useless lol. per 5ml, it's 3.33mg codeine, 12.5mg diph and 125mg of ammonium chloride. i guess my next question is what constitutes a high dose of ammonium chloride? I have never seen this stuff in a medication before.

I'm not entirely sure, it seems that it's mostly used in cough medicine. It irritates the esophagus and apparently helps break up shit in your throat to cough it up but i've never seen it and i can imagine it's mostly fazed out due to the throat irritation.

I would definitely pass on this, if it's only 3.3mg of codeine per 5ml then it useless as far as recreational potential.

yup I agree. may be nice to use for a good relaxing sleep however at lower doses, maybe in the 30mg codeine range (I have absolutely no opiate tolerance right now and at the heaviest use I'm still extremely sensitive to the opiate high). thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll be sure to chuck this back in the drawer for flu season