• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why does Xanax get so much hate?

Short and sweet: stigma combined with media/pop culture references...

Kinda like Valium --1960s housewife cliche, though Xanax/alprazolam is newer, modern society and often looked down on because it's often a drug of choice illicitly.
Personally, I don't understand the attraction to benzos recreationally, BUT I truly have severe anxiety disorders. I understand everyone's different... I have to be careful with opioids, specifically hydrocodone (to me, better than oxy, morphine, etc.)
I've been on combo of lorazepam and clorazepate (Tranxene) for about 15 years. I've also been on Klonopin, Librium, Xanax, and Valium + Restoril shortly for sleep.
My pdoc actually changed me from Ativan to Xanax (2mg 3 times a day) and I requested to go back to the Ativan... Just works better for my anxiety, but neither caused any euphoria whatsoever. No craving to take more. Right now it's combined with Valium/diazepam but I prefer (rather than Valium): Tranxene/clorazepate or Librium/chlordiazepoxide (as they both metabolize to oxazepam) but we have to substitute when $$ go up. I don't love Valium routinely as it has in addition to oxazepam, another metabolite, temazepam & hence, more sedation... I haven't tried Serax which IS oxazepam, but the less common ones are usually costlier. I've had comments from people about being in 2 benzos, but I've tried Ativan alone, Tranxene alone, Valium alone..etc... For some reason the combo works MUCH better!?
But neck to the Xanax topic. While it is one of the most abused, many people focus on that add if it means BAD, ignoring the many many people with very real diagnoses who take it without problems, allowing them to lead stable, productive lives.

well xanax is unique benzo because it hits you hard and fast. Out of all benzos has the most potential for abuse and addiction. Its hated because benzo withdrawal can kill you, cause seizures and shit....but also because of these dumb rappers you dumb ass kids take zans and drink and do absolutely retarded shit

But neck to the Xanax topic. While it is one of the most abused, many people focus on that add if it means BAD, ignoring the many many people with very real diagnoses who take it without problems, allowing them to lead stable, productive lives.

Yeah people go from one extreme to another.

Either a drug is in the "good" category because it's medicine or the "bad" category because it's abused.

Well what if a drug is a medicine that a minority of the population happen to abuse, as benzos are? Suddenly they get stigmatised and no one cares that they do help many people who use them therapeutically.

Same thing happened with opioids especially in the US. Oxy gets abused, people stigmatise it as the new heroin, people with genuine pain get ignored.

I think it has a lot of hate because it has become popular. Like previously mentioned, some SoundCloud rappers popularize the use of Xanxax. Just look at this kid called ?Lil Xan? https://goo.gl/images/Cai1vR . His music is worse than his appearance lol.

Not to mention that the withdrawals of Xanax can literally kill you. It is important to taper off of this drug instead of going cold turkey. Also, Xanax just basically dehumanizes you if abused long enough.

Yeah anytime someone pops a bar I know I might end up having to slap the shit out of them. It makes many completely obnoxious.

Oh God don't remind me. A close friend of mine would repeatedly get benzos every month, go through them within 3 days. And those 3 days were utter hell. If it wasn't him imagining people stealing his pills cause his dumbass took to many, it was him ACTUALLY being stolen from because he was too out of it to prevent it.

He just fucking couldn't handle it. Every time he'd become insufferable, utterly incapable of comprehending just how fucking out of it he was on them.

If I'm honest, I would say Xanax is probably one of the worst as far as addiction risks among the benzo family. Mainly because it's so short acting. Personally, I don't think it should be prescribed nearly as much as it is. I think it should be largely limited to panic attacks.

Oh God don't remind me. A close friend of mine would repeatedly get benzos every month, go through them within 3 days. And those 3 days were utter hell. If it wasn't him imagining people stealing his pills cause his dumbass took to many, it was him ACTUALLY being stolen from because he was too out of it to prevent it.

He just fucking couldn't handle it. Every time he'd become insufferable, utterly incapable of comprehending just how fucking out of it he was on them.

If I'm honest, I would say Xanax is probably one of the worst as far as addiction risks among the benzo family. Mainly because it's so short acting. Personally, I don't think it should be prescribed nearly as much as it is. I think it should be largely limited to panic attacks.

Can't help but wonder though, how's that any different from alcohol? What you described could easily be anyone who drinks too much as well, except they'd have an unlimited supply of their DOC instead of only 3 days worth.

I agree Xanax should only be prescribed for panic attacks, that was its original purpose and that's what it's good for. It should not be used daily, it should be used PRN to acutely treat a panic attack.

I have no idea why America does not just prescribe Valium more often, it's much less troublesome than all these more potent benzos. Valium is the most popular benzo in the UK.

It's similar to alcohol, but most people know when they are drunk. A lot of people are either convinced they are fine or think they don't feel anything when they take benzos, even when they are stumbling/mumbling

Try arguing with someone in alcohol and xanax like their possessed by a tucking demon I swear anyone who isn't family and comes chats that shit to me I will swing for them don't care how fucked up they are guarantee they will instantly sober up and realize.

Personally I definitely know if I'm on Xanax. I thought that's why it's so abused in the first place? Because you can feel it hitting hard?

Clonazepam is one I feel sober on even if I'm way more mashed than I think, but alprazolam I know I'm fucked on that because I'm gonna feel zonked.

Personally I definitely know if I'm on Xanax. I thought that's why it's so abused in the first place? Because you can feel it hitting hard?

Clonazepam is one I feel sober on even if I'm way more mashed than I think, but alprazolam I know I'm fucked on that because I'm gonna feel zonked.
What are you feeling exactly? I definitely feel anxiety relief, but most people I know don't feel much of anything until they do something stupid then they realize they are fucked, but even then we always smoked with benzos to get a body feeling. The only benzo's I found enjoyable on their own were Triazolam because of the strong sedation and Etizolam because it always put me in a positive mood weirdly enough. If I was in a bad mood before alprazolam it was only going to be worse after.

it's just a shit drug. There's no euphoria to the experience it just makes you give less of a fuck about anything you are doing.
Agreed. I got my hands on like 50 of them as a 19 year old. I remember taking one or two and throwing the rest away because the effect was like a horrible psych med(at least that was my uninformed opinion, having never heard of xanax, yes this was before the internet, like 2000 or so).

Can't help but wonder though, how's that any different from alcohol? What you described could easily be anyone who drinks too much as well, except they'd have an unlimited supply of their DOC instead of only 3 days worth.

I agree Xanax should only be prescribed for panic attacks, that was its original purpose and that's what it's good for. It should not be used daily, it should be used PRN to acutely treat a panic attack.

I have no idea why America does not just prescribe Valium more often, it's much less troublesome than all these more potent benzos. Valium is the most popular benzo in the UK.

It probably isn't that much different from alcohol. But then I have a very low opinion of alcohol as a drug as well.

I completely agree by the way. Valium is far more manageable. Especially since it takes a long time to wear off.

Problem is, and this is something else that troubles me about Xanax. Is that people often end up labeling all benzos with the problems that are mostly related to Xanax. Xanax gives the whole benzo class a bad image.

What are you feeling exactly? I definitely feel anxiety relief, but most people I know don't feel much of anything until they do something stupid then they realize they are fucked, but even then we always smoked with benzos to get a body feeling. The only benzo's I found enjoyable on their own were Triazolam because of the strong sedation and Etizolam because it always put me in a positive mood weirdly enough. If I was in a bad mood before alprazolam it was only going to be worse after.

Just a hazy, heavy, sedated kind of feeling, not dissimilar to antihistamines except it hits me really quickly and tastes bitter and leaves me feeling more anxious when it wears off. It has a unique feeling where you know it's alprazolam if the taste hasn't already given it away.

As you can tell it's not exactly my favourite drug either, I'd prefer pretty much any other benzo if given the choice unless I'm having an actual panic attack, but I thought that's the feeling people liked from it?

Etizolam I actually far prefer because from that I feel buzzed as if I've had just a couple drinks but not enough to make me drunk. Just social and relaxed. Really nice. Again easy to feel more sober than you are in that state too.

But yeah to me alprazolam is something that you can generally feel hanging over you. It doesn't make my mood better though, it just makes me grumpy and I'll ignore my feelings until the rebound anxiety hits later.

I also think if more Xanax fans used temazepam or bromazepam they'd gain appreciation for how much nicer a benzo can feel even if they don't smash you in the face.

It is also great for PTSD, anxiety, etc. It just has to be used properly.

People who aren't responsible with it will obviously have a bad time.

I agree. The way people abuse a drug doesn't represent what a drug is like when used therapeutically. But I do think daily use should be avoided unless absolutely necessary due to the short duration and rebound.

Xanax gives the whole benzo class a bad image.

Sad but true.

^Hazy is a good way to describe it actually.

The taste is IMO one of if not the worst things I've ever tasted. I like bitter IPA's, but even thinking about the taste of alprazolam makes me gag

It is also great for PTSD, anxiety, etc. It just has to be used properly.

People who aren't responsible with it will obviously have a bad time.

But is it any better than say, valium? Or one of the other longer duration benzos? Cause that's the real question the way I see it.

Sure, Xanax is good for a lot of purposes, but what I'm saying is, given it's high dependency liability, it should only be used for those purposes where other benzos aren't effective enough for the job.

If Valium and Xanax are both suitable for treating a problem, then given the added dependency and addiction risks of Xanax, we should definitely use Valium.

^Hazy is a good way to describe it actually.

The taste is IMO one of if not the worst things I've ever tasted. I like bitter IPA's, but even thinking about the taste of alprazolam makes me gag

Yeah, it's not the worst drug I've ever tasted, that honor doesn't actually go to a recreational drug at all. But it's still pretty bad. Valium doesn't taste great either, but it's much more tolerable.

Simply put, because people abuse it. The effects when abused are similar to alcohol and produce black outs. And anything that can black you out is going to get a bad reputation. Additionally it has withdrawal symptoms and can even cause seizures if ceased so it needs to be tapered off if taking it daily in high enough doses.

Used sparingly and for anxiety it can be a great drug. I prefer klonopin though for anxiety, longer duration, doesn't impair me cognitively, and doesn't show up on drug tests.

Edit: I'm weird I actually like the taste of xanax. It means I got real xanax and not fake shit lol.