• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Good morning ash . How are you making it ? You sound like your doing great . Thanks for checking in on us still going thru WDs .

I had a terrible dental appointment yesterday so I'm up early. Lol, is it early where you are hik?

Ash.

hik,
You wrote:
Dale , my biggest problem now is weakness. I went to Walmart last night and was exhausted when I got back home . I image its gonna be a long haul. I was on a high dose for around 18 years so I'm getting the impression my WD'S are going to be similar to yours . The burning sensation is just on top of my feet and back if cold air from our ac or fan hits them in bed . Oh the sneezing is bad too. My dad is convinced I have a cold also ( runny nose ,sneezing).

Everything you are experiencing is typical withdrawals. The weakness, burning sensation (I had it on the tops of my feet too), the runny nose and the sneezing are all part of it. It does feel like a bad cold symptom wise. I had sneezing attacks that went on and on many times a day and it lasted well beyond a month (but it got less and less over that time). I still had sneezing at 2 months, and I wondered if I just had allergies, but 99% of the sneezing is gone now. If you get sneezing attacks that don't stop, try this: Go open the freezer door, stick your head in a little and breath in cold air through your nose for a minute or two. Doing that stopped my sneezing very quickly every time. The weakness issue: You just have to take it easy most of the day and night, but it will get better, and if you can push yourself to exercise every day, your energy level will go up some. Don't push too push yourself much during week three, but do try start short walks (or whatever you prefer) starting in week four. I believe it's true that you loose if if you don't use it when it comes to strength and stamina.

Last hik, remember that the drug made you feel better (I don't mean "high"), and as you become your normal self, you will tire a little more easily. You will also smile more because you'll feel things more. With a clearer mind that comes with getting clean, you will think more clearly, remember things better - and you will see more of the good in the world all around you. That's no b.s. my friend.

"what do you call a sheep with no legs? - A: a cloud" :)

Dale

Dale , thanks for answering my questions. I've been a bit busier today . I worked for 3hrs this morning, then got a birthday gift for my father . The world is already clearing up. My priorities are changing. I bought my father a very nice birthday gift that he has been needing for a long time . It cost a lot of money , but he's been good to me and deserved a good gift. I've got my mother to get me some old childhood photos from when they carried me and my sister on vacation in the 80s. They brought back so many good memories that have in my brain ,but just didn't realize how precious they were until now . Songs that I never thought much of are now in my main playlist . I'm pooped now and need to rest because we are going to eat for his birthday tonight. I talk to you again

I had a terrible dental appointment yesterday so I'm up early. Lol, is it early where you are hik? It was 6:59am here.

Ash.

Oh no . I hate going to the dentist. I hope the pain isn't bad . Try some ibuprofen if so. I'm holding off till wds are over to get a broken tooth fixed . Stick in there , dental pain ends pretty quickly usually. Salt water or 50% peroxide 50%water will help if it's an extraction. I hope you feel good soon.

Fuck I'm back, at the dentists for 2 days, no bueno! : ) You good today hik? Thinking of you, here if you need anything.
Your friend ,
Ash.

Jesus man, you got me crying already. So nice to hear how kind you're being to your lovely father, they (family) won't be around forever. Funny how emotions come rushing back and you see what's really important when not numbed right?

Hugs brother.
Ash.

Dale , thanks for answering my questions. I've been a bit busier today . I worked for 3hrs this morning, then got a birthday gift for my father . The world is already clearing up. My priorities are changing. I bought my father a very nice birthday gift that he has been needing for a long time . It cost a lot of money , but he's been good to me and deserved a good gift. I've got my mother to get me some old childhood photos from when they carried me and my sister on vacation in the 80s. They brought back so many good memories that have in my brain ,but just didn't realize how precious they were until now . Songs that I never thought much of are now in my main playlist . I'm pooped now and need to rest because we are going to eat for his birthday tonight. I talk to you again

Day 16 . I'm still dealing with dwindling WDs . I wish they would end so bad . Ash ( epl1) , I hope your dental problems get resolved. Dental pain can be severe. I went to eat last night for my father's birthday. It was a 3 hr total trip. When we was in the restaurant my anxiety kicked in big time . My under arms poured sweat and I felt dizzy . I knew it was too much , but I did it for my dad . The place we went to is a 50s deco resort that will be torn down this October. The place closes next week for good. We got our grub on one last time . Dale told me that the more stress I put upon myself the worst WDs get. He was absolutely right. I still feel it today. I'm taking it easy today and just doing light house work. One day at a time .

Hi hik- you wrote:
but I did it for my dad
Good for you hik. I'm glad to hear you went to your dad's birthday dinner. That's where I would have been too.

Sounds like your symptoms are still pretty tough, but you made it 16 days. This is a lot further than most people get. You are so close now to the start of really feeling a difference. Just take it day by day (or minute by minute if you need to). This is a time when you might also start thinking "methadone wasn't so so bad." If you think that, just think back to your first 10 days of withdrawals and remember how it bad it has been.
During this third week, try not to push it at all. Think like you are sick with the flu and take it easy. If it gets too rough at times, I think it's absolutely ok to cry. Take the time every day to close your eyes and imagine yourself in another month or two - no withdrawals at all, sleeping good every night and feeling good again without any drug in you. You will get there :)

Let Us Pray: Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and friends to post my bail when I snap :)
Your friend,
Dale

Thanks Dale , every symptom you've had , I have had too. I've read through your thread multiple times looking for what to expect. Your thread let's me know what to expect next in my journey. At first I thought I may be different and by day 14 I should be through the WD ,but its not happening to me .Dale says his wds lasted several weeks . I'm a believer . He wrote about 1 day maybe a good day and the next a bad day . I will give methadone credit for not having cravings as bad as other opiates. I'm not gonna lie , I have had cravings, but nothing like I did when I was taking hydrocodone, oxycodone years ago . My wife has a bottle of hydrocodone pills that I knew where there , but I had enough will power to control myself. If I was on , let's say heroin, I probably could've caved . I sure don't have any plans of going back . I'm not to the glory days of no withdrawals yet so the pain is still too fresh to want to do this over again. I'm an addict and I don't know the future , but one good thing is I don't know any other opiate users or dealers in my area , I have straight friends ( drink a bit ), and most importantly great family . Have a good night Dale . PS , I loved the joke . It reminded me of my days in AA . I was the only drug guy in the group ( 16yrs ago) in my hick town .

Last edited:
Day 17 . I discontinued the gaba again . Last dose was the night before last . I actually slept the same 4hrs I was sleeping on the gabapentin. The rls has come back slightly since , but I would rather have rls than the bad taste and grogginess from gaba . I love my food and the gaba makes everything taste metallic and chemical like. If I feel this good tomorrow ,then i think we will do a lake weekend. I need some lake water on my body to sooth my body pains. It's a spring fed lake that has sulfur springs that are very medicinal . I feel a bit better than yesterday. The WD'S are about to dry up . I'm still weak , but that is expected a little longer . It nice to sleep naturally again . Gabapentin is a great drug for WD's , but after so long the body needs to heal itself without chemicals ( faster recoup time ).

Hello my dear friend hik!!!

Day 17, Man look at you go, you're doing such a great job, please be extra kind and patient with yourself okay? So proud of you!

I hope the RLS goes away quickly for you and that your strength improves soon too. Here if you need anything,

your friend,
Ash.

Day 18 here , I slept about 8 hrs last night with some minor insomnia ( tossing about once an hr then falling asleep again). I found my old nodoze ( caffeine ) pills and halved one with a coke to see how I would feel . I feel way more motivated. I read an article about how caffeine stimulates the dopamine receptors . I stopped all caffeine during my first withdrawal days until now . Im getting back to my old self ,but slowly. The WD's are just about totally gone . I'm Still getting some residual effects from the gabapentin. Is this normal ? It was stopped 3 days ago. I'm having problems with being anxious in pubic places (clinical antiperspirants needed) . I've rarely had problems like this before ,so hopefully it'll dissipate over time . Just another bump in the road . I have a family wedding to attend tomorrow . I dread the anxiety, but I'll get to see some great friends and family. They have a wet bar ,so I may grab a cold one if the anxiety gets too bad .

The anxiety is likely a residual withdrawal symptom. It'll get better with time

Hey hik!!

Day 18, wow so awesome!!!!

Just be careful not having too much caffeine if you are having some issues with anxiety, caffeine will magnify the anxiety and you don't need that!!

I'm sure the anxiety won't last long though. Have a great time at the wedding tomorrow, I really hope you enjoy yourself!!!

Here for you always,
your friend,
Ash.

Day 18 here , I slept about 8 hrs last night with some minor insomnia ( tossing about once an hr then falling asleep again). I found my old nodoze ( caffeine ) pills and halved one with a coke to see how I would feel . I feel way more motivated. I read an article about how caffeine stimulates the dopamine receptors . I stopped all caffeine during my first withdrawal days until now . Im getting back to my old self ,but slowly. The WD's are just about totally gone . I'm Still getting some residual effects from the gabapentin. Is this normal ? It was stopped 3 days ago. I'm having problems with being anxious in pubic places (clinical antiperspirants needed) . I've rarely had problems like this before ,so hopefully it'll dissipate over time . Just another bump in the road . I have a family wedding to attend tomorrow . I dread the anxiety, but I'll get to see some great friends and family. They have a wet bar ,so I may grab a cold one if the anxiety gets too bad .

Hey hik!!

Day 18, wow so awesome!!!!

Just be careful not having too much caffeine if you are having some issues with anxiety, caffeine will magnify the anxiety and you don't need that!!

I'm sure the anxiety won't last long though. Have a great time at the wedding tomorrow, I really hope you enjoy yourself!!!

Here for you always,
your friend,
Ash.
Thanks for all your support Ash , I went to our local AT&T store to get a tablet today. I really didn't have the nervousness today . Its weird. Its gonna be nice weather for the wedding thankfully.

Day 20 , looks like a few new sober living folks are on the forum. This is great . The more the merrier. I've had a lot of social interaction this weekend. At first I dreaded it ,but it looks like its helped with my anxiety . The wedding was great. Lots of old friends and family to talk to for distraction. I've finally realized that if I can find a distraction , then that's more time I'm not thinking about feeling bad . I wandering if PAWS is setting in . I'm not in WDs anymore, but just depressed and unmotivated . I'm still cold also . On a good note, my strength is returning . I walked a good bit yesterday and stood for about 2hrs. My legs are feeling lighter also . I'm hoping the acute WD's are over , but I still have episodes were I get clammy hands and the squirmies, but those have just about diminished completely. I hope everyone has a great Sunday today.