• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Thanks ash , I'm dealing with things one day at a time . I'm still an emotional wreck , but maybe that's good. It's weird how we as addicts during wd's don't want to use again, but once we get better start thinking about using again . Thanks for the 10 pic .

Day 11 , I may have dropped the gabapentin a little too soon .I didn't sleep any last night . I took some clonidine, but didn't help much . I'm in a pretty bad mood today. On a good note my under arms have quit sweating. I googled gabapentin bad taste and tons of people are complaining of a metallic taste/smell . It also makes my head pound the morning after . I really hate it ,but it helps a bit with sleep . Maybe it's time to see if my dr could switch to a benzo for sleep . Trazodone never helped much for sleep . Restoril was always my favorite. Still taking one day at a time . I do feel better than I have, even though I'm grouchy and feel like a zombie from no sleep.

Hello my friend,

Day 11, you're doing great!! Other than the sleep issues, which are par for the course, you seem to be doing really well. One day a a time is all anyway can do.
I hope you sleep better tonight, it's not fun to try to get through the day on not much sleep.

Here if you need me, proud of you, you're doing an amazing job!!!
Your friend,
Ash.

Day 11 , I may have dropped the gabapentin a little too soon .I didn't sleep any last night . I took some clonidine, but didn't help much . I'm in a pretty bad mood today. On a good note my under arms have quit sweating. I googled gabapentin bad taste and tons of people are complaining of a metallic taste/smell . It also makes my head pound the morning after . I really hate it ,but it helps a bit with sleep . Maybe it's time to see if my dr could switch to a benzo for sleep . Trazodone never helped much for sleep . Restoril was always my favorite. Still taking one day at a time . I do feel better than I have, even though I'm grouchy and feel like a zombie from no sleep.

Thanks ash , I had an interaction with my clonidine today . I took ibuprofen an had a drop in potassium . Ibuprofen and clonidine doesn't mix . It drops the clonidine effects and increases ibuprofen effects while dropping potassium. I had some potassium chloride here luckily. My mother is a retired RN and helped me out . She ran some bananas down asap , lol. She wants me to drop all meds except my regular BP meds and drink some wine or beer for sleep . I told her that's good except at about 2 or 3am I'll get increased rls from the alcohol. Her answer was " just drink some more when you wake up" . I guess mom wants me to go on a bender ,lol . I'm used to heavy sleep from methadone, so I believe this may be my hardest obstacle yet not getting a night of sleep

The lack of sleep is very normal. Frankly I'm surprised you've slept at all. You will turn the corner to feeling better in the next 5-7 days. Keep taking the gabs is my best advice. Cloninidine never did much for me personally

Day 12, I took the gabapentin and slept about 7hrs last night. I feel much better ,but loopy from the gaba . I'm so ready to start feeling better , but I have to have patience. My palms are still clammy ,so I'm sure I'm still in acute withdrawal stage . Its getting better though. Cj , I've come to the conclusion that it's best to stay on the gaba till the WDs are gone completely. I can deal with the gaba WDs later . If they are anything like Soma WDs then no problem for me . I took soma for 6 months daily and kicked them with only a night of sleeplessness and next day I was already better . If anyone on here has experience with gabapentin withdrawal I would like to here some experience. If it's like a benzodiazepine WD then I need to stop soon .

For me gabapentin took a few months to develop a physical dependency. If for some reason you do develop one it can be tapered fairly easily. The withdrawal feels vaguely benzo like but not nearly as intense.

Thanks for the answer cj. I kinda have feeling they won't be too bad . I have zero affection for them . They might as well be trazodone or the like. The next day headaches and loopyness ( in a bad way) are a turn off for me. I'm more of a CII opiate kind of guy.

Day 13 . My acute Wd's are winding down, but still at about 10-20% here. Sleep issues is still my main problem . I done some outdoor activities yesterday for about an hr and a half. I had sweat beading up and shaky by the end of it . I'm so weak feeling and even though I'm more motivated , I'm still to weak to do the things I love . It's like every day I feel 5% better ,which is ok i guess . I'm still taking the gabapentin at night only . My RLS has disappeared . It was here one day and gone the next . I still have some crying issues when I hear a sad song , but its slowly easing up. My wife has been great to me during these last two weeks. She's rock solid woman that has a heart of gold . I'm a lucky man to have someone like her. She put up with my drugging years from 20 years ago . Back then I was too immature to see the whole picture.

Last edited:
Hello my friend!!

Day 13 now, how awesome!!!!

You're doing well, so just hang in there, yeah, the sleep will mess with you for a while, that will stop though. Glad the RLS is gone that was a bitch for me.

Glad to hear you getting outdoors, good to even breathe fresh and air and get your mind off the shittiness of the Wd's for a while.
Crying issues.... they were my main problem in WD's. I could have gone through a lot more physically, but the emotional outburts were the hardest for me.

That will all end though, keep at it, you never want to start at day 1 again!!

Lean on that awesome wife you have for support too!!

Very proud of you,
here if you need to talk,
your friend,
Ash.

Day 13 . My acute Wd's are winding down, but still at about 10-20% here. Sleep issues is still my main problem . I done some outdoor activities yesterday for about an hr and a half. I had sweat beading up and shaky by the end of it . I'm so weak feeling and even though I'm more motivated , I'm still to weak to do the things I love . It's like every day I feel 5% better ,which is ok i guess . I'm still taking the gabapentin at night only . My RLS has disappeared . It was here one day and gone the next . I still have some crying issues when I hear a sad song , but its slowly easing up. My wife has been great to me during these last two weeks. She's rock solid woman that has a heart of gold . I'm a lucky man to have someone like her. She put up with my drugging years from 20 years ago . Back then I was too immature to see the whole picture.

Hik, your kicking some serious ass dude!!! I like what you said about don’t get on done unless dope is about to kill you. Idk why I haven’t been more active on your thread. Well, yes I do. I relapsed about the time( well a little before) you started your journey. I went through hell and came out of it happy and sober. Just like you said when we get a bit better we start thinking about using again. Nothing is more true. I was dumb enough, even though I knew better, to think I could use sparingly, and here I am again. Idk how bad it is gonna be this time. I’m scared shitless. Wife will leave me if she finds out. I’ve GOTTA get clean again and soon. I’m also in Tennessee. Probably the best state in the ����!!! But,,,, eff the vols!!! I’m a huge DORES guy! Lol
I've told myself I’m gonna be clean again for a good while before the new three day velvet hunt in August this year. I’m a big bow hunter and have access to some of the best deer hunting land in my area. I’m excited for it but wanna enjoy it the way God intended. Getting clean is the most important thing in the world to me until the sickness starts. I hate this shit. I am happier sober. It doesn’t make sense.
God bless you and keep posting. You are helping others that are going through similar situations and you don’t even know it. There wouldn’t be an opiate epidemic if everyone had your determination and strength. I am praying for everyone that has these type problems. People that have never experienced addiction have no idea how hard it is and it can’t be explained to them in a way they understand. I know people say it is a choice to use, which it is, but no one I know has ever woke up one day and said “I wanna become an addict”.

Hik, your kicking some serious ass dude!!! I like what you said about don’t get on done unless dope is about to kill you. Idk why I haven’t been more active on your thread. Well, yes I do. I relapsed about the time( well a little before) you started your journey. I went through hell and came out of it happy and sober. Just like you said when we get a bit better we start thinking about using again. Nothing is more true. I was dumb enough, even though I knew better, to think I could use sparingly, and here I am again. Idk how bad it is gonna be this time. I’m scared shitless. Wife will leave me if she finds out. I’ve GOTTA get clean again and soon. I’m also in Tennessee. Probably the best state in the ����!!! But,,,, eff the vols!!! I’m a huge DORES guy! Lol
I've told myself I’m gonna be clean again for a good while before the new three day velvet hunt in August this year. I’m a big bow hunter and have access to some of the best deer hunting land in my area. I’m excited for it but wanna enjoy it the way God intended. Getting clean is the most important thing in the world to me until the sickness starts. I hate this shit. I am happier sober. It doesn’t make sense.
God bless you and keep posting. You are helping others that are going through similar situations and you don’t even know it. There wouldn’t be an opiate epidemic if everyone had your determination and strength. I am praying for everyone that has these type problems. People that have never experienced addiction have no idea how hard it is and it can’t be explained to them in a way they understand. I know people say it is a choice to use, which it is, but no one I know has ever woke up one day and said “I wanna become an addict”.

Hey , nice to see a local. The wds are hard , the crying emotions are the worst . Are you on methadone? I'm gonna PM you, so keep a eye out. I'm so ready for Sept 1st dove season I can taste them . Watch out this year for the Vols , we got a revamped team. A quarterback that was the sec #1 pick, but could be another "rebuilding year" too. It's always fun no matter the outcome. Anytime you have a question, by all means feel free to message me . Glad I could help Socal has some great tips too for methadone withdrawal. He's like 90 something days clean .

Hello my friend!!

Day 13 now, how awesome!!!!

You're doing well, so just hang in there, yeah, the sleep will mess with you for a while, that will stop though. Glad the RLS is gone that was a bitch for me.

Glad to hear you getting outdoors, good to even breathe fresh and air and get your mind off the shittiness of the Wd's for a while.
Crying issues.... they were my main problem in WD's. I could have gone through a lot more physically, but the emotional outburts were the hardest for me.

That will all end though, keep at it, you never want to start at day 1 again!!

Lean on that awesome wife you have for support too!!

Very proud of you,
here if you need to talk,
your friend,
Ash.
Thanks again ash , I missed this post yesterday. I'm feeling better today . Yesterday I took my old vitamins and found out that vitamin b6 can make WDs worse . It's an energy vitamin that boost adrenal function ( the bad withdrawal hormone) it was like day 6 all over again. How are you doing ? It's nice to have people like you on here to brighten our weary days .

Day 14 . Today is my best day so far. I think in a couple more days it's going to be completely gone hopefully. I went riding in our woods this morning to get out to where I'm happiest. I saw 3 does with 6 fawns (3 sets of twins). It's rare for deer to have twins . I wish I could have took a photo .I found an Osage Orange tree that are very rare around my area. I've been trying to find one for years for seed stock to repopulate them on our property. I look at these as a sign of good things to come . Life is good .

Look at you out and about enjoying life!!!

Your area sounds lovely!! I am happy you are feeling better today my friend!! It will continue to improve!!! So proud of you!!!

your friend,
Ash.

Day 14 . Today is my best day so far. I think in a couple more days it's going to be completely gone hopefully. I went riding in our woods this morning to get out to where I'm happiest. I saw 3 does with 6 fawns (3 sets of twins). It's rare for deer to have twins . I wish I could have took a photo .I found an Osage Orange tree that are very rare around my area. I've been trying to find one for years for seed stock to repopulate them on our property. I look at these as a sign of good things to come . Life is good .

hik - Congratulations on Day 14!

2yukfvp.jpg

You have made it through the hardest part - way to go!, but I caution you that if you go through this at the pace I did, your "not" great days/nights aren't done. During next week or two, you'll may still have trouble sleeping at times, and while you might feel better during the day, the skin sensations can come back fairly strong at night when the air is cooler and everything is quiet. Keep as warm as you can if you still feel this. If you have a sleepless night, just accept your body still needs more time to adjust to being drug free. Your sleep will go back to normal with a little more time. The RLS may be one of the last symptoms to disappear, but it gets much less intense. Give yourself up to two months to get through this all the way. If it happens sooner, that's outstanding, but if it doesn't, just take every good moment as it comes and believe there will be more and more of them - because there will be. You are doing really good hik.

“I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap :)
Your friend,
Dale

Dale , my biggest problem now is weakness. I went to Walmart last night and was exhausted when I got back home . I image its gonna be a long haul. I was on a high dose for around 18 years so I'm getting the impression my WD'S are going to be similar to yours . The burning sensation is just ontop of my feet and back if cold air from our ac or fan hits them in bed . Oh the sneezing is bad too. My dad is convinced I have a cold also ( runny nose ,sneezing).

The Osage orange trees make awesome walking sticks!! Haha weird fact of the day!

Osage orange is the hardest wood in north America . Some see sparks fly from a chainsaw when cutting. Its BTU output rivals coal . Its rot resistant also . The tree has a big dead limb I'm going to cut and either make something with it or burn it in our woodstove this winter. Osage orange is also referred to as "bodock" in some areas.

Wow look at you go hik!! It's beautiful. so proud of you!! And I like your orange tree lesson too!!

Have a great day,

here if you need anything,
your friend,
Ash.
Osage orange is the hardest wood in north America . Some see sparks fly from a chainsaw when cutting. Its BTU output rivals coal . Its rot resistant also . The tree has a big dead limb I'm going to cut and either make something with it or burn it in our woodstove this winter. Osage orange is also referred to as "bodock" in some areas.