• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Trazadone for depression? Trazadone DOES help depression...but usually is only effective at crazy high doses for that...like, really it's used only in that way for people in mental hospitals who need to be sedated for most of the day. That's what my dr. told me anyways when I was concerned about being on that AND prozac back in the day (was concerned I was on too much, but he assured me trazadone's sedative qualities were the only thing having an effect on me at the dosage he was prescribing). I imagine you're not on a crazy amount (I was on 50mg, and have taken up to 150mg before...which knocked me out cold for like 20 hours btw) so idk if the trazadone is what you need. Maybe, I'm completely wrong here, though. It wouldn't be the first time.

Tramadol should help alot especially with the pain as its a mu-receptor agonist like methadone and has a pretty long half life as well as the SNRI action of it which could improve mood from the wd depression

As other users said clonidine is also very good for the shakes and sweats. Sadly doesnt seem to be used in the UK for opioid withdrawal much yet

oxylove, I'm pretty sure hik isn't using the tramadol anymore (but I could be wrong...)

Trazadone for depression? Trazadone DOES help depression...but usually is only effective at crazy high doses for that...like, really it's used only in that way for people in mental hospitals who need to be sedated for most of the day. That's what my dr. told me anyways when I was concerned about being on that AND prozac back in the day (was concerned I was on too much, but he assured me trazadone's sedative qualities were the only thing having an effect on me at the dosage he was prescribing). I imagine you're not on a crazy amount (I was on 50mg, and have taken up to 150mg before...which knocked me out cold for like 20 hours btw) so idk if the trazadone is what you need. Maybe, I'm completely wrong here, though. It wouldn't be the first time.
You have to be taking crazy high doses of antidepressants before serotonin syndrome becomes a concern. At one point I was taking 20mg Celexa, 15mg Remeron and 75mg doxepin simultaneously and my psych doc reassured me that I was still way under the threshold where serotonin syndrome might be an issue.

The trazadone at 100mg is definitely helping my depression. It's not like a SSRI ,but I can definitely tell if I go a couple days without it. I did read an article about how its seeing a resurgence in treatment of depression .
--- LadyH , you are correct about me not taking the tramadol anymore. They did help for the first couple of weeks at the beginning of my jump. Glad to see you doing good !!!
----- aihfl , your like a book full of knowledge on SL. This forum has helped me so much and like others have said, " its saved lives" . Everyone on SL are very mature and good people. I feel like we are all long time friends .

Thank you Hik. When you've spent as much time as I have in rehabs, detoxes and other assorted psychiatric facilities, you're bound to pick up a thing or two :D

Hello , SL friends. I've had a busy weekend . 2 days of labor day activities with my friends and family. I carried my nephews out for some outdoorsmen activities and had a great time . This is a big mile stone for me because I had a truly good time . Then my friends came by for the UT Vols football game , which we lost . I used to be a night owl , but after 10pm I'm so tired and have to be the party pooper and go to bed. Life after opiates is so much different than what i was used to. It's like after the WDs kicked in I changed to a different person . I'm no longer social, it's hard to find anything to motivate me , my friends are wandering what's up with me not wanting to as much as I was . Now I need a freaking colonoscopy to see what's up with stomach/intestines because I still have the runs after almost 2 months and this can't be normal. My labs all came back negative for the easy to check stuff . Oh how I dread the colonoscopy prep !!!

Oh man, that sounds tough with the colonoscopy! If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?

One time I kicked I had bad diarrhea for like 50 or 60 days after detoxing. It was beyond frustrating. Since then I've always made sure to go a bit hard on the soluble fiber (Kashi Autumn Harvest cereal) during and following opioid withdrawal, and it always seemed to help.

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself hik. That's so so important. Thank you for the update, not to mention your significant contributions to our community. It doesn't go unnoticed <3

Yeah a colonoscopy is no fun. I had to start them early because of a family history of colon cancer. I'm excited about the start of college football. The local chapter of the FSU alumni association is having a watch party for the FSU-Virginia Tech game tomorrow, so I'll probably go. It'd probably be a good thing for me to get out and be around people. And don't worry, even though I went to Vanderbilt, we can still be friends =D

Oh man, that sounds tough with the colonoscopy! If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?

One time I kicked I had bad diarrhea for like 50 or 60 days after detoxing. It was beyond frustrating. Since then I've always made sure to go a bit hard on the soluble fiber (Kashi Autumn Harvest cereal) during and following opioid withdrawal, and it always seemed to help.

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself hik. That's so so important. Thank you for the update, not to mention your significant contributions to our community. It doesn't go unnoticed <3

Tpd , I'm 40. I have a family history of colon cancer from my grandmother. I'm hoping its something simple like ibs or something, but I'll have to have a total rundown from a gastroenterologist to find out.
---- I love coming on here to see how everyone is doing. It keeps me focused on the prize and I've met the nicest people on here. You were one of my first contacts on here and you offered great advice .

Thanks hik :)

In the meantime, I’ll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed it isn’t anything too major - and that if it is it’s not to difficult taking care off. My dad had colon cancer and it sounded pretty horrible what he had to endure, but at least he was proactive and caught it before anything to serious came to be.

Whatever it may bring, you sound like your up for any task. I’m just glad to hear when someone is obviously taking good care of themselves, but look at me... rambling and all now 8)

Yeah a colonoscopy is no fun. I had to start them early because of a family history of colon cancer. I'm excited about the start of college football. The local chapter of the FSU alumni association is having a watch party for the FSU-Virginia Tech game tomorrow, so I'll probably go. It'd probably be a good thing for me to get out and be around people. And don't worry, even though I went to Vanderbilt, we can still be friends =D
I get heavy into college football this time of year. This year TN has Phil Fulmer back as athletic director and we have a new coach (Jeremy Pruitt) . I'm not expecting a huge year ,but who knows . That's the fun part of sports. It looks like Bama has another power house team , which quiet frankly boggles the mind how they pull it off year after year, cough,cough. Vandy is my second favorite SEC team so we are good . Vanderbilt has beat TN 4 of 6 years , so Vandy definitely has a good program going on . Since you went to Vandy, do you remember the Exit/In ? I saw Unknown Hinson there in 2014 .

Back when I went to Vandy, the football team was the pits. This was back when Johnny Majors was the Vols coach. We did respectably for how lame the team was against the Vols (20-49), but it was still a slaughter by most standards. The only team we beat that season was LSU. Watson Brown got fired as head coach after that season. Yes, I remember the Exit/In on Elliston Place, but I never did go to any shows there.

I don't know if you ever saw this on YouTube. It's old now, but it's still pretty funny.

Yeah , I've seen that video. It seems TN's feelings are mutual also , lol . I do remember back in the 90s when U of Florida was the "IT" team to beat during the Steve Spurrier years. I always kind of thought the Seminoles should have been SEC instead of the Gators , but then all the new born babies in the SEC wouldn't be called " daddies little gator hater"=D . We always watch the Seminoles/Clemson game . That's usually ESPN game of the week.

It never made sense to me why FSU wasn't in the SEC either. Some say they joined the ACC because they wanted to dominate their conference but who knows.

EDIT: "It's that puke, inside of a pumpkin orange, and I hate pumpkins." That's the best line in the entire thing.

Last edited:
Hello darlin!!

Thinking of you and wanted to pop onto the site and see what you've been up to? Very proud of you, you're plugging along so nicely!!

Big hugs to you my dear friend,
Ash.

Hik I'm sorry my shitty eyesight caused me to accidentally delete your post. I shouldn't be doing this on my phone. Can't blame it on age - I've always been blind as a bat. Anyway we had squalls all day today from that same tropical system. We didn't even break 90 today with all the clouds. Florida State is getting killed. They were at 1st and goal and still couldn't score a fucking touchdown. I hope they're having a bad night because I can't deal with an entire season of this. 10-3 at the half. They're not going to be no. 19 after this ? The Virginia Tech side of the room has already gotten two rounds of free shots. None for the FSU side, not that it matters to me, personally.

I can repost it later , no problem. Taggart definitely has to make up for this game. Looks like a rebuilding year . With me Football is like fishing. The worst day of football is better than the best day at work. That tropical storm/depression has it very hot and humid here . The rain is still a ways away , but its coming. The weather forecasters are saying this winter will be one of the coldest in 50+years , but who knows .

Hi hik,
Colonoscopy eh? I've had that done twice. The "prep" they give you now days is a breeze (well maybe a flood) compared to the terrible cramps the old stuff used to cause. I hope it goes well. I'd recommend you cut out all dairy products for two or three days to test yourself for dairy allergy. I became allergic to it after I was an adult - just came on out of the blue. It could happen to you too.

I've stayed clean - don't really even think about methadone anymore. I agree with what you wrote about becoming a different person post methadone. Same thing happened with me, but that was a stage too and has long since passed. I hope it passes for you too. You are coming up on 60 days real soon. Remember when that was only a dream - yet here you are!

I am so proud of myself. I finished a jigsaw puzzle in only 6 months, and the box said 2 -4 yrs! ;)
Your friend,
Dale