• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

possible long term comedown?

Sweetliv

Greenlighter
Hi all, I didn't think I'd end up posting on here but I'm in need of some help.

I'm wondering if I could be suffering from a long term comedown from mdma.

I've only taken mdma 4 times in my life, all spaced out, but I know that could be enough to mess with me.
First time I took it was December 2016, had the tiniest amount of powder, rubbed it into my gums, had a great time, was fine, didn't even get a comedown. Second time I took it about two weeks after that, which was unwise, but still had a great time, until I woke up at a god-forsaken time thinking I was dying, feeling nothing but terror and panic. I didn't know it at the time but looking back on it now it was likely that was a panic attack. But I convinced myself I was fine and went back to sleep. And I was fine after that.

I told myself I wouldn't do it again after that, but I ended up doing it again January this year, a tiny bomb, hardly anything, had a few beers and smoked some and I was fine. No comedown from that either, and no panic attacks.

March 21st this year is a different story.
It still makes me deeply uncomfortable to even think about, and I fear I could still be struggling with the effects to this day.
I was at a concert, got some md off a friend, (the same friend that gave me the one in december that made me have a panic attack weirdly enough) took one tiny bomb, I had eaten a lot before and by an hour it still hadn't kicked in so stupidly I let my boyfriend give me another bomb, but both were tiny. About an hour and a half perhaps I was rolling like crazy and had a great time. I was gurning like crazy, felt hot and cold, all sorts of shit but felt great and couldn't stop saying I love you to everyone. Pretty embarrassing. Anyway I get home and smoke and fall asleep. I wake up at some crazy time with my heart beating like crazy but I don't feel panicked or anything. And I fall back asleep.
The day after I had an afterglow if anything, was in a chilled out mood and felt happy.
Hit half way through the day after and I started feeling drained mentally and physically. Seemed my first proper comedown had begun.
Standard, I just felt pretty depressed and any time I felt uncomfortable/anxious, I smoked a joint and felt better. I ate a lot of food (not healthy mind, pizza n shit) and managed to get some hours of sleep. Day after, I'm fine, just really tired and empty. Day after, that, I'm fine, normal, just tired and perhaps a little irritable. Day after that, this is where it gets interesting; (sorry this is already really long) I suffer from allergies and they seemed particularly bad so that night I took an antihistamine (benadryl). A few hours later my allergies were still playing up, so I took some more, syrup this time. I fell asleep. Next morning I wake up to hell. I couldn't get out of bed, likely to the fact I took way too much benadryl, woke up 2pm and couldn't keep my eyes open, felt really irritable, made my way downstairs, ate, and just felt out of it and irritable, started crying and before I knew it I was having panic attacks. Before this, I hadn't had a panic attack for like 6 months, I suffered from general anxiety but had managed it a lot better before that. My parents came home and managed to calm me down, got me to go for a walk and eat and I felt a lot better, almost normal.

The day after that I was normal, in a pretty good mood. My boyfriend came to stay over and we had a great time. The next day, I woke up, irritable as hell, hadn't got as much sleep, allergies playing up again, started cleaning the house in rage because I just felt irritated at everything. Later that day I took my boyfriend home, I got home, and all of a sudden I have another panic attack out of nowhere. It was terrible, my legs were shaking, breathing was difficult and I thought I was dying. It was awful. I had to lie down on the floor it was so bad. My mum calmed me down and I went to sleep. Day after that, another panic attack. Day after that, another panic attack. By this point it's been a week since I took the md so I was confused as hell and feared the worst. And then on the Friday of that week, it just stopped. The panic just stopped. And I felt relatively normal. I got through that week eating healthy and going walking everyday and spending time with my family. But it was terrifying. Every day I woke up to panic and despair.

I get through the next week fine and any uncomfortable moments I manage to just ignore, convincing myself the anxiety is gone. And I'm fine. Until I decide to drink on my anniversary with my boyfriend. It's the 9th of April at this point. I have a great time, but the morning after that I wake up feeling slightly weird, but get on with my day. The next few days are the same but it develops into an uncomfortable feeling in which something doesn't feel quite right. I had moments of zoning out, but then I would come back. And then I started feeling anxious again. Determined not to let it get me again, I carried on with my life, kept my routine, kept eating regularly and didn't drink or smoke or anything. 9 days later my panic attacks got so bad that I couldn't leave the house. The lowest point was where I was stuck on the sofa screaming and crying all day because I just wanted it to stop; I felt like I was losing my mind. It was horrific. The day after I went to the doctor and he said he didn't think it was the mdma, but said I was suffering from anxiety and depression, and prescribed me Citalopram and Diazepam for when the anxiety got really bad. I've been on it for two months now, it sort of worked for my anxiety as my panic attacks reduced massively, but it's done fuck all for my mood. My mood has actually been black at some points, which has scared me, to the point I've considered coming off this SSRI, it's messing with me, I don't feel like myself and I feel depressed. I've had some days where I've felt nearly normal but it's been irregular and that's been 10 days over 2 months of taking this. And here we are now, in June. And I'm miserable.

It's worth noting that I suffered from mild depression and anxiety when I was about 14, up until the age of 16 I'd say, but it seemed to lift over time. I'm 19 now. I had panic attacks last winter but CBT helped me alleviate those. So I've had a history of it.

I'm now just wondering if the mdma caused this spike in behaviour (panic attacks, depression etc) or if it was always there and worsened the existing issues. I thought they had gone but I guess I was wrong. It's just confusing but I had a period after taking the md and having the hideous panic atttacks that they stopped and I was seemingly fine. Then I drank and they all came back again.
I'm wondering if I triggered or worsened some sort of mental condition. It feels horrible. I feel miserable and I want to end it. I don't know what to do anymore. I thought these meds would work, but I feel like they've just been messing with me. The diazepam helps a lot and makes me feel normal but fuck the citalopram, and I can't take benzos my whole life because I'll get addicted. I don't know how this all happened and it's killing me. I'm getting therapy and CBT again alongside the medication but I feel so terrible and traumatised from it all.

Sorry for the life story, but I don't know what to do anymore. I didn't think I'd end up posting on here because I wanted to avoid bluelight as it could make me anxious again, but I'm losing hope. Please help.

I'm someone who went through LTC (maybe still a little into it).

So my theory is that MDMA could trigger underlying mental disorders. LSD is capable of that, and MDA having same of the properties by its psychedelic nature could do to the same. For my case it was anxiety, in your case it sounds like bipolar disorder. The world doesn't have good understanding on mental illnesses, but it seems they have good physiological background before manifesting into psychological, could be vise versa with PTSD.

The usual advice for everyone in LTC would be.

--
Being mindful - Positivism, Fighting spirit, acceptance & Meditation.
Practicing great diet, supplementation, exercise & sleep. (No more stimulants, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, everything like that is actually slowing your brain recovery)
Lifestyle changes, keep yourself busy, sunshine & social interactions.

It will be hard for your boyfriend to understand what you're going through, but ask him to support you as any support is very helpful! Good luck!

I'm someone who went through LTC (maybe still a little into it).

So my theory is that MDMA could trigger underlying mental disorders. LSD is capable of that, and MDA having same of the properties by its psychedelic nature could do to the same. For my case it was anxiety, in your case it sounds like bipolar disorder. The world doesn't have good understanding on mental illnesses, but it seems they have good physiological background before manifesting into psychological, could be vise versa with PTSD.

The usual advice for everyone in LTC would be.

--
Being mindful - Positivism, Fighting spirit, acceptance & Meditation.
Practicing great diet, supplementation, exercise & sleep. (No more stimulants, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, everything like that is actually slowing your brain recovery)
Lifestyle changes, keep yourself busy, sunshine & social interactions.

It will be hard for your boyfriend to understand what you're going through, but ask him to support you as any support is very helpful! Good luck!
Good advice given here. As for your boyfriend, I can relate a bit to him. Someone close to me went through almost exactly the same thing but weirdly enough triggered by a weed edible (never give this to first timers!). What helped me a lot was reading up on the symptoms and trying to get a picture of exactly what mental disorder(s) were triggered. This, while still not the same as personal experience, helped me a lot in understanding what she was going through

If you take MDMA, you change your life permanently. Everybody is different, but as i can understand from your post your already suffer from anxiety, and should not take drugs. Thing is, that you can loose time with MDMA,
Dont take MDMA more than a 2 times a year. Dont focus on MDMA, you will just loose your time in your life.

There is a reason drugs are illegal. MDMA feels good, but its not gonna lead you to road of happiness. ( i know from my self)
There is no long term MDMA comedown. your body will adapt. You are already in the loop, taking MDMA disables your for weeks if not months ( while you are unaware )

Last edited:
^

Well on the positive side, I also believe you can benefit from the whole situation. You can come back stronger from the whole experience. Before MDMA I've never questioned my normality and flaws, however once you know your weaknesses it's up to you how you'll handle them and if you'll benefit from that or will destroy you.

Having a passion and goal in your life is a direction greater than your worries of LTC, this could prove you wrong about your believes and fears and make your proud with yourself. So in the end being called to change your life for the better is something that can't harm you, but put you in the right path.

Ive suffered something very similar to your story. Except my anxiety and panic was triggered from tripping on shrooms for the first time.

I also experienced these symptoms in the past, once when i smoked too much weed and went into panic, then after one night on mdma.

It now seems that these early warning signs we get from drug use mean that people like us should be very careful with what we take.

I was also prescribed medication to tackle the severe anxiety from my bad trip. Turns out it only suppresses the symptoms. 1 year later im completely off the medication and having to now recover from anti depressant withdrawal too.

My only advice is that time is your best healer. Youll likely suffer for a while before your panic and anxiety dies doen again. If you can avoid more medications and stop convincinf yourself yourr damaged permanently youll start to recover. It will likely come in windows and waves, the idea is to slowly reduce your waves until they dissapear completely. Feel free to inbox me if you need some support.

From reading your story, there is no telling what you really took. It could have been MDMA, or it could have been something different. Could have been adulterated product. Who knows.

Whatever the case, you are where you are now. Feed your brain good things. I am a big fan of sublingual methylcobalmin (b12). It is just an easy to absorb B vitamin, but it helps anxiety and depression. Vitamin D can also help depression, but for some people can cause a bit of agitation. Vitamin C also helps a lot with comedown and recovery. Try to find a good general doctor who would be willing to run basic bloodwork and check your body and vitamin levels overall. Magnesium is another supplement that can be relaxing and very helpful. Get sun. Get exercise.

Best of luck on your recovery. Remember that the place you are in right now is not forever, it is just a temporary step along the journey.

Hi all,
Thanks for all your replies.

No.13 Baby- I was told it was mdma. I haven't tested it as I don't have it anymore, but my boyfriend took the same substance and he's had no adverse affects whatsoever...

I took a very small amount, not even pea sized, but took two bombs as I didn't feel the effects at first. Then of course, it kicked in. (Fucking stupid) It's horrible because my boyfriend was the one to give them to me and it's horrible because none of us know this would happen.

It's July now, and this was in March. I still can't believe I'm in this situation and I want to give up.

I still don't know if it even came from the mdma. I just don't know, but I'm killing myself over it. It seemed fine, I felt fine the days after, for like 3 days after fine when it would have been out of my system and then out of nowhere I have panic attacks for 5 days straight and then it just stops.

I'm not on the Citalopram anymore and my mood seems consistently better, I don't feel like I'm numb anymore so to speak, and can feel actual emotions. But I still have this fucking panic.

I definitely have some sort of panic disorder. My therapists and counsellors know it's anxiety, but it's the fear of panic that is so debilitating, and ultimately leads to more panic. As soon as I feel some sort of discomfort, I panic.

I'm going med free for a bit, but if that doesn't work out the doctor said the next med to try is Mirtazapine.

The stress and anxiety has got so bad that things don't really feel real anymore, I don't feel like I'm in my own body at times, my bedroom doesn't feel like my room, my house doesn't feel like my house, it all just feels fake and not real. It's surreal but not in a good way, it feels like I'm in some sort of dream I can't wake up from. I didn't always have this, this seems to be a recent thing, presumably from all the mental stress.

I feel totally awful and want to end it all, but thanks for all your concerns and replies everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

The unreal/fake feeling is depersonalization/derealization, it's normal for ltc. You're still too early, but if anxiety is your only symptoms then you'll fully recover in my opinion.

Hi Zeroluck- what do you mean by too early?

The dp/dr seemed to manifest at a later stage. Or maybe I just didn't notice it because I was too busy having panic attacks all the damn time.

Zeroluck, did you recover/ still in the process of recovery? Have you tried medication?

I'm doing all I can at the moment, I spend time with family, loved ones and friends and it helps a bit, as does keeping busy, I keep a routine, go to bed and wake at a reasonable time, get therapy and have started CBT, do mindfulness every day,exercise when I can (I've dropped loads of weight so can't do a lot and don't want to lose anymore) and eat well, but I still get these panic attacks. Since coming off the meds (that didn't really work for me ) my mood is a lot more flexible if that makes sense, and I actually enjoyed myself this weekend, but I had taken a benzo on the Friday so I don't know if it's because of that, but I wasn't on them for the whole weekend.

At this point it's just me trying to accept I have anxiety and panic. I don't know how it started, maybe it was the md, maybe it wasn't, but all I know is that I want to get rid of it. And get my life back. Now. I'm getting so fed up of this shit. It's been going on since March. Is there some sort of average recovery time?
Compared to some of the symptoms of ltc I've read, some people get visual snow/brain fog with their dp/dr, but I've had none of that. Just anxiety and panic attacks and the occasional bout of depression (I think that's because I get sad when I know I'm feeling anxious) I just want to be okay.

I went out and got some supplements to help today, got some Flax Seed Oil (helps depression), a multivitamin, and some Kalms tablets so I won't rely on benzos (prescribed diazepam) at tough times. I also got some 5htp, anyone tried that?

Sorry for going off on one, really appreciate everybody's help. If anyone is going through the same thing it would be great to be in contact so if anyone wants to vent or just talk feel free to PM me on here. It helps knowing people have been/are going through the same thing.

I understand about the ptsd thing- I try not to go on bluelight too much for fear it might set me off and if anyone even mentions md I can't help but wince and feel disturbed. It's crazy, because we have the best time when we are on it, but it puts so much stress on our bodies and mind. It seems to me ltc seems to be a big reaction against stress and trauma. You have a great time rolling, but your body and brain is probably stressed the fck out.

But you seem better now Zeroluck- and the worst of it is over. I reckon in time, you will stop questioning whether you are your 'old self' maybe part of it is accepting that this is a 'new self' now.

For me it's definitely triggered some sucky panic disorder. I'm doing what I can. I wish there were more answers too, but I'm on month 5 now, and I can recognise the worst of it is over. I was having panic attacks all day.

Yeah my DPDR onset was later in the ltc too. By too early I mean you've took it just few months ago, most recovery stories are after month 9-13. A lot of the cases with MDMA ltc are including anxiety, it seems somehow the drug shattered the ability of our brains to handle it. I didn't have panic attacks, but had horrible social anxiety.

About my recovery, can't really tell. It feels like I've developed some PTSD from the fear of permanent brain damage, or obsession. I keep questioning if I'm my old self or not, how can I know? I've developed really good self-analysis skills, I realize all my weaknesses and personal flaws, but can't tell if they were always there or appeared after the mdma binge.

I had amazing ideas and creativity that helped me establish myself in my field very well, sadly it's all gone now.

All I wished is we had more answers about our situations. The good news is there's many people with full recovery stories, that gives me hope.

MDMA forces you through a lot of walls in your mind.

The unreal/fake feeling is depersonalization/derealization, it's normal for ltc. You're still too early, but if anxiety is your only symptoms then you'll fully recover in my opinion.

Indeed.

Zeroluck, have you seen this post? http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...w-quot-comedown-quot-issues?highlight=dawglaw

Dawglaw makes some key points here. I've seen this post before and it is beneficial, perhaps it is a process of recognising that what we have is just a mental condition, not necessarily stemmed from what we think it is. In my case, perhaps I just need to accept I have anxiety and it will get easier.
I always thought leaving it in the past could help. But of course, this is difficult.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ME-I-GOT-BETTER-(good-to-be-fixed-in-the-top) this is also a good post that I have been reading when times get tough.

Thank you VERY much for the links, I haven't seen the first one. I've assumed myself it could be all about anxiety, however I can't explain why so many people have brain fog, memory issues, concentration issues and .etc. This is what scares me the most. Also there's these research on apes that they still didn't have the normal base serotonin even after 7 years, another thing is that we don't know what's the consequences of the destroyed axons and their regrowth.

What's horrible is that even if MDMA is not killing neurons, depression does and is literally shrinking the hippocampus, causing all kind of nasty cognitive effects. I wish there was some research out there ensuring me it's all anxiety and I'll be fighting only the stress I've caused myself, but the doubt is still hunting me. However it's not so dark, I'm feeling better and better, I've set myself new challenges in life and once I achieve them, it will ease me a lot.

Thanks again for the first link, I really hope the guy is telling the truth about talking with these notable researches, that will be simply amazing. Maybe I have to contact some professors myself with some mails.

Zeroluck, you're welcome, and about the apes, they did the same sort of test with rats, in which they dosed massive amounts to them, like unreasonable amounts.
There is some evidence to suggest that it takes up to three months for the brain to restore its level, hence the 3 month spacing rule, but even then, most people have no issues.
I think it just seems many of us are unfortunately predisposed to anxieties/mental conditions. I can see the confusion as to why you've had no panic attacks and only brain fog etc, but have you considered that could be anxiety in a different form? You are paying attention to these symptoms, which gives them more power.
For now though, perhaps we should avoid reading into it too much like Dawglaw says. All this ruminating on apes and neurotoxicity can't help.
One more thing, have you tried CBT? I've only been having it for a week but I'm going to suggest training my mind to move past the traumatic event, believing that I haven't 'messed up' my brain, or poisoned it, even though it is difficult.How can I move on if we are stuck in the same loop.
But best of luck to you even though you seem nearly recovered. Do keep in touch with your progress and any advice or suggestions, it is greatly appreciated

Just like to point out that I was on mirtazapine for 6 months after my drug triggered anxiety. Although it wiped the symptoms completely for about 3 months they did come back again 6 months later. Id say if youre really desparate then try them, but tapering off them is hard as i experienced. Im presuming some of my anxiety now is AD withdrawal related.