• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

June Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread, v Summer time cometh

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Funny how I thought today was June 1st...

You doing anything fun for the summer? Any challenges you're looking to work on overcoming?

Summertime is a wonderful time for taking on new challenges, and taking some time to relax and have fun too %) <3

This thread is for anyone interested in reducing harm and improving their quality of life this month.

Quitting drugs? Cutting back? Getting healthy? Wanting to improve your Life? Fun plans for the summer? How will you keep from going crazy with all your free time (or lack there of)?!

Remember - it could always be worse ;)

And MAYBE, just maybe, a little more crazy entertainment is just what we need for this summer =D

Write it all down!

:) %) :| %) :D %) :( %) :eek: %)

The May thread is archived here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been so swamped with work I'm thinking of taking off somewhere. Even if I end up spending all my time working remotely, I won't be doing it here. Wyndham is having a sale for Destin, Panama City Beach and Ft. Lauderdale - $199 for two nights. I'm thinking Panama City Beach as the Gulf beaches are so pretty and PCB is at least an hour closer than Destin, and if I wanted to deal with the urban jungle, I might as well stay put in Orlando.

LOL I just realized this is the last day of May 8) Oh well, it's almost June anyways...

I've got a little trip planned for just north of San Fransisco and Idlewild iirc. Should be fun :)

And of course San Diego. That should be, uh, interesting - but I have a good feeling about it. It's been way too long since I've visited.

Hoping I'll be able to spend a little extra time in SF. It's been soooooo long since I've spent time there. I quite like the Bay Area generally.

Comicon SF next weekend, 4th of July camping.

Those are the only things I have actual plans for. I do plan on spending more time outside this summer- hiking, swimming, exploring.

i also want to work on really taking some quality time for myself doing something, anything that makes me happy. It’s hard to do with 3 kids, I always justify why I don’t have time or don’t need it-BUT I DO! Even if it is only once a week.

TPD, gonna be in my neck of the woods! Enjoy your time =D

Last edited:
^I'll have to let you know when I'm up there :)

Beginning of July iirc, but I'll letcha know.

And please let me know if you come across anything particular tasty at comicon. It's been too long since I savored any good graphic art/novels/comics :)

Of course! I am pretty exited about going. If there is anything in particular youre looking for, let me know! I

I'm pretty open about it. Anything that strikes you as of particular quality, and I'm interested :)

You got it! I will definitely keep my eyes open for some cool stuff to send your way

I have been done using opiates for over four months now and no stimulants, benzos etc. and only one MDMA setting, one LSD setting and one experiment with 3-FEA after getting from back from rehab.

Life has been much better after I realized that I had to do something about my drug habits and especially after dealing most parts of the active addiction.

I am not into abstinence only goals for myself anymore although I can see that it might suit for others. If I become addicted again to something I definately will try total abstinence but until then I consider being atleast pretty much sober although I use sometimes empathogenics and psychedelics. Of course my drug counselor would have a different opinion but well I have thought about that I discuss things I have issues with instead of telling I still use some drugs sometimes as those drugs don't control most of my life anymore but if they start to consume my relationship, health, time, money or some other aspect of life I'll definately ask for help again.

I am glad I have never IV'd as it might have put myself at risk for blood borne diseases and ruining my veins and even maybe giving myself an addiction of simply using the needle too.

Some people say that I am not a real addict as I haven't IV'd but I don't buy it as I believe I have had same withdrawals and cravings as others as it is mostly about the dosage you get into your body. Of course the full rush of getting a shot might complicate things even worse but still people can be and are really addicted into various stuff without injecting.

Some people say that I am not a real addict as I haven't IV'd but I don't buy it
One of my stints in the detox ward I was in with some 19-20 year old white (of course) wannabe gangsta IV heroin users who thought they were like, totally badass, dude, because they IV'd heroin instead of just being a lowly benzo eating drunk like myself. I've been though opiate detox and it's a day at the beach with some sex thrown in compared to my worst alcohol and benzo WD experiences.

Anyway, MrRoot, I'm glad to hear that life is moving forward in such a positive direction for you.

^Gosh, the dicksizing does get super old super quick in detox/rehab. It's just like, "Dude, I just want to heal."

I have been done using opiates for over four months now and no stimulants, benzos etc. and only one MDMA setting, one LSD setting and one experiment with 3-FEA after getting from back from rehab.

Life has been much better after I realized that I had to do something about my drug habits and especially after dealing most parts of the active addiction.

I am not into abstinence only goals for myself anymore although I can see that it might suit for others. If I become addicted again to something I definately will try total abstinence but until then I consider being atleast pretty much sober although I use sometimes empathogenics and psychedelics. Of course my drug counselor would have a different opinion but well I have thought about that I discuss things I have issues with instead of telling I still use some drugs sometimes as those drugs don't control most of my life anymore but if they start to consume my relationship, health, time, money or some other aspect of life I'll definately ask for help again.

I am glad I have never IV'd as it might have put myself at risk for blood borne diseases and ruining my veins and even maybe giving myself an addiction of simply using the needle too.

Some people say that I am not a real addict as I haven't IV'd but I don't buy it as I believe I have had same withdrawals and cravings as others as it is mostly about the dosage you get into your body. Of course the full rush of getting a shot might complicate things even worse but still people can be and are really addicted into various stuff without injecting.

I am also fond of a large minded/public health/harm reduction approach to addition and recovery. Kindred spirits you and I :)

I'm also glad you never IVd.

Honestly, you aren't missing that much. It can be an interesting way to use some drugs, but there are so many risks involves. Easier to just avoid. On the off chance you were to become obsessed with injection, it's a pretty horrible habit.

You already know this. What was the sixty day (iirc) program like that you recently completed? Sounds pretty interesting and I'd love to hear more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen people who've never iv'd anything that were much more addicted to thier doc than anyone I've ever know who did iv. The notion that someone isn't an addict because they don't shoot up is totally idiotic... [end rant]

It's like people dependent on prescription pills thinking they're any better than a heroin addict... it really rubs me the wrong way.

It's silly is what it is. That said, love is a drug too. Don't hear a lot of folks in rehab complaining about how much of a love junkie there were, acting like a bad ass and all, do we?

I guess I've never been to a rehab for sex and love addiction, but even for those who don't identify as a sex and love addict (such as myself - definitely not how I identity) love is still a pretty profound substance.

Well my rehab was a non 12 step standardized longer term rehab facility which does cater for double diagnosis patients and provides also ORT.

Place was in the middle of nowhere near a lake and the facility was old school house from start of the 20th century but which had been renovated nicely and patients have their own room with shower (which even had heated floor tiles) and a good Full HD TV and I took my PS4 and Apple TV with me.

It was based upon therapeutic community model but with European twist in which it is managed by professionals and also has a Dr. and nurses as a staff but some of the daily activities are done by patients. Depending of a chore doing your weekly "work-time" alternated from hour to nearly seven hours.

We woke up 07:15 and gave our phones to the staff and took our morning medications and then it was time for breakfast. We had two discussion classes (group therapy) and one more recreational class.

We got our phones back 17:00 and were able to use them freely until morning.

Once a week there was a class for patient and I kave any keynote of harm reduction and how addiction creeps in as seen in modern medicine and how it can be treated. I read "SAMHSA Principles of Addiction Medicine" for that.

It had real good feeling of bonding to each others as a patients as we had quite of spare time in which we were encouraged to either spend by socializing or for example reading on our rooms.

The nurses actually seemed to care about their patients and we had 2 to 5 individual therapy sessions.

We also had social worker who knew a lot about different benefits and such and if she didn't know about something she then looked about it and told afterwards.

IMO it had a little bit too much spare time but I can understand that some people need more time on their own than myself.

It's like people dependent on prescription pills thinking they're any better than a heroin addict... it really rubs me the wrong way.

Yep, I knew a guy exactly like that. He threatened me physically and even threatened to report me to HR becasue he knew I smoked Heroin on my lunch break at work. Fast forward a couple of years, he's locked up for robbery now as he needed money to feed his pill habit and here's me the "scumbag junkie" moving into a nice new apartment after getting clean. I still feel bad for him though.

In regard to the summer. I'm going to be spending as much time with family and friends as possible. That's it.

Last edited:
One of the best analogies I've read so far on BL aihfl. Sorry, I'm on day 5 of opiate WD's and you put a smile on my face.

Ashley.

I've been though opiate detox and it's a day at the beach with some sex thrown in compared to my worst alcohol and benzo WD experiences.