• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Reality

quiet_roar, you make no real arguments so your position is unchallengeable. If that's "just what you believe", well, then case closed.

shadybraindamage, please stop talking about the internet and social media synonymously. One may be required for the other to exist, but they're not the same thing.

Yeah, tons of people don't even use social media. I don't, probably 20% of my close friends do, the rest don't. You've got confirmation bias going on, based on your own experience/preconceptions.

Nah, nah and no, no one criticize the world with what they see in themselves

Just saying the truth.

If you choose to focus on the bad side of things, the world seems bad to you. Confirmation bias. There are good and bad sides to everything. The Internet is a fundamental technology that has only just begun to change us. My belief is that it can (not necessarily will) allow us to get rid of the "us vs them" mentality by breaking down barriers between cultures. Well in the future, I think there is a strong possibility that we'll be better off. Right now there are some shady forces going on, people trying to corrupt the Internet, kids being too absorbed in their screens. But before the Internet, kids were too absorbed in their video games. And hey, there are people trying to corrupt everything. Again I say, why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

If you choose to focus on the bad side of things, the world seems bad to you. Confirmation bias. There are good and bad sides to everything. The Internet is a fundamental technology that has only just begun to change us. My belief is that it can (not necessarily will) allow us to get rid of the "us vs them" mentality by breaking down barriers between cultures. Well in the future, I think there is a strong possibility that we'll be better off. Right now there are some shady forces going on, people trying to corrupt the Internet, kids being too absorbed in their screens. But before the Internet, kids were too absorbed in their video games. And hey, there are people trying to corrupt everything. Again I say, why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Well put, everything we create as humans, from clothing to cars, some of us will fear because we don't understand it, education fixes this. The problem is when a group of fearful people organize themselves with some kind of counter education. As soon as we create two sides, those opposed and those for, we end up dividing our society in half. Today it is the internet before that it was a series of technological developments including things like the ballpoint pen. The change each of us individually needs to make is to stop fearing each other's genius.

Remember there really is no "them", there is only us. When ever we think someone is a "them" the problem is actually education, often we are the ones that need education but we just can't see it yet.

Additionally, it seems to me that in every period of time, as progress is made, people gaze towards the past with rose-colored glasses on. Every time period has problems, and we tend to think about "the old days" as having been better... but in general, when we are dissatisfied with the present, we look towards the positive aspects of the past, while sort of glossing over the negatives.The entire reason for the creation of new technology, the entire reason for progress, is that we were trying to surmount problems that plagued us. It goes all the way back to agriculture... hunting and gathering is a rough life, death was much more common. The development of agriculture allowed us to more easily survive. The development of ever more advanced tools allowed us to more efficiently create more of what we needed. The development of electricity and artificial heating and cooling allowed us to not freeze to death, to have light at night, to prevent our food going bad, and so on. The development of trains, cars and planes has allowed travel throughout the world in short amounts of time. The development of phones has allowed us to keep in contact with each other even when we're not in the same place. Yet, there are always people yearning for "the good old days". It's not special to this time. Why is that, I wonder?

I remember years ago, I was very anti-establishment. I would say to myself often, as I watched the news and thought over and over again about the things that are wrong in the world, that I wish the infrastructure would collapse and we could go back to living off the land. I felt that life would be better, harder physically, yes, but better, less stressful, I'd be happier. Then we had a big snowstorm, several feet of snow on the ground, and the power went out for almost a week. I didn't have a lot of food, and I couldn't go anywhere because there was too much snow to even leave my driveway, let alone my street. It was cold, and dark. I went through all my candles by the third day... it would get dark in my house about 4:30 and not light until 9:30. It eventually got down to 34 degrees inside. It was kind of exciting at first, but by the end of it, I felt so grim. When the electricity came back on I cried I was so happy. It was a pretty sharp lesson in appreciating what we have.

I realize we're talking about the Internet, not electricity, but to me, it's all related. It's a fear of the new, with resulting focus on the negative aspects of the new (or maybe the other way around), leading to a desire for the old, which may, in fact, be misplaced.

Good posts at the end of the last page by Xorkoth and YourBaker, but I just wanted to clarify that I am not miserable and unhappy with life, quite the contrary, I am as happy or happier than any other time of my life. I do not want civilisation to collapse or to go back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle. I am very happy about having electricity and many other mod-cons. However, I do believe "life" was better 20-40 years ago, and the internet has caused more negatives than positives. Will we "work out" how to deal with the technology better? Probably, but facebook, instagram, twitter and any other stupid social media platform will still suck major balls :)

One tiny change that has occurred in everyone's lives is just being able to find answers to simple questions via the internet. It used to be faster to just guess and be wrong compared to looking trivia up, now you can be accurate in a few seconds.

It may not seem like a huge issue but in the past when little children asked hard questions parents rarely gave correct answers. Now kids can just go to the internet and fact check dad. A lot less children will be raised stupid, maybe more lazy but lazy is easier to fix then stupid. Stupid takes years to educate, lazy just needs to miss a few meals to catch on.

Humanity is exponentially smarter because of the internet.

It may not seem like a huge issue but in the past when little children asked hard questions parents rarely gave correct answers. Now kids can just go to the internet and fact check dad. A lot less children will be raised stupid, maybe more lazy but lazy is easier to fix then stupid. Stupid takes years to educate, lazy just needs to miss a few meals to catch on.

Really couldn't agree more with this. Great way of putting it.

The internet may be the single most influential invention of the 20th and 21st centuries. Having access to information, and access to people letting me know that things are okay, and that there's so much to actually do and learn has given me excitement in a deadened youth.

If I didn't have the internet, I'd spend countless hours in a library instead. But the internet is my library.

bluelight <3

Will we "work out" how to deal with the technology better? Probably, but facebook, instagram, twitter and any other stupid social media platform will still suck major balls :)

We can agree there. :) Social media isn't something I participate in... I used to but I find it unpleasant at best the way it is now. I do use social media to promote shows with my band but that's it.

I call this ~evolution in devolve or simply involution~ tho man don't be proud that there was something existing be proud that there was something to be talked bout

Additionally, it seems to me that in every period of time, as progress is made, people gaze towards the past with rose-colored glasses on. Every time period has problems, and we tend to think about "the old days" as having been better... but in general, when we are dissatisfied with the present, we look towards the positive aspects of the past, while sort of glossing over the negatives.The entire reason for the creation of new technology, the entire reason for progress, is that we were trying to surmount problems that plagued us. It goes all the way back to agriculture... hunting and gathering is a rough life, death was much more common. The development of agriculture allowed us to more easily survive. The development of ever more advanced tools allowed us to more efficiently create more of what we needed. The development of electricity and artificial heating and cooling allowed us to not freeze to death, to have light at night, to prevent our food going bad, and so on. The development of trains, cars and planes has allowed travel throughout the world in short amounts of time. The development of phones has allowed us to keep in contact with each other even when we're not in the same place. Yet, there are always people yearning for "the good old days". It's not special to this time. Why is that, I wonder?

A good way of stumping people who are talking about the good old days is to ask when exactly this fabled utopian era was (i.e can you name a decade). It never exists.

Related reading:
RationalWiki:Good old days
Appeal to tradition fallacy

^ agreed. good technique too.

i also have a different point on one aspect of it. i think my grandparents day and age were much better than any other or the good ol days. specifically not one single decade but generally 40's through the early 60's. things started being invented more, kinda of booming or taking off. there was always something new to discover and people generally treated each other better because they had a less sense of immediate self and more of one of the last great get it done together attitudes. my grandparents also had to watch as the world went from good, to bad to... well that's subjective and maybe too pessimistic. back then was a stepping point from the ground floor that led to the current one. and the current one isn't too shabby.

i think of it as transitional today. don't get me wrong, even back then they had their downsides. this is commonly over looked. but accepting the good with the bad has a certain balance to it and a healthy mind can perceive this. each generation before and after has it's ups and downs. today we have a lot more sedentary life styles going on but there is also an overwhelming sense of love or acceptance that is being shared more freely and in ways that are different of the hippies from the 70's. we are more connected but also more bad or inaccurate info is going around easier. identity is easier to lose or harder to find then it was back then.

aside from what the OP posted originally. i see this world as having it's own set of trials or tasks to accomplish. one such being how we make this all work. aside from the step in evolution we are going through just being able to have all this new way of thinking, living and tech come together and be sustainable for the future is something that seems daunting but completely within the realm of possibility and we are capable of making it happen.

You know, everything works on ideas that they are created based on something X thought that would make a difference but the truth is no one does. These days nothing make a point or a phrase nor a blank, like connecting your mind to a water bubble if you get my point, you look for clockwork purification not for changes which draws me to invegauser writings. This world doesn't have anything to accomplish it's only point is to destroy what it's already created or in works, technology was back then too take the fuckin Gold or Stone age for e.g. 70's, 60's - 30's? no judgements but everyone these days think the same back then there we're differents way of analyzing the bridge. It's an empirical reality

@shadybraindamage: i like clockwork purification's, i like water bubbles, i like changes. "make friends with change, it's the only thing you can count on." i like shadybraindamage.

you know what?? your right. things have been taken a step forward through our history rarely because large groups have taken the initiative to do so. it is mostly the single individual who has discovered something and implemented it creating a new understanding, the rest jump on the bandwagon and accept it as truth or reality. must be nice. hence why humans are creatures of habit. "same shit different day huh rabbit?!"

destruction is chaos and accomplish is order. humans are both, i like humans.

empirical reality, good one. also related to if god knows everything and free will thread.

when one person says something - others might take it as wrong, others might say don't burst the reality of their dream, others might find it right and others would ignore.

i see the random, chaotic and savage beauty of nature and the cold, vanilla, limp, perpetual structure of life. i see both are needed to balance the other and create the grey for us to live in, to thrive in and create all the infinitesimal wonders in this universe. i also see that one or the other is not always needed to balance each other out for every given situation. it is a sequence of events that unfold and a lot of the time we don't understand it until we look back. makes us dangerously arrogant as a species.

sometimes we go through stages of life as a species where the single is not always important to isolate but the whole has a single use in the performance. this is that time. not out of belief, not out of denial or delusion but born of sustaining life. we can do the easy way now that appears harder or the harder way later which appears bleak. i honor each person for their station in life. most will glow and flow with being united, some will burn with guidance by going against the grain. those few can be more valuable to the rest regardless of how anyone might see their words as misgivings or foreboding. the weakest chain is not always convenient to see and the strongest of leaders sometimes forgets that "a genuine leader is not a searcher of consensus but a molder of consensus"; this carries it's own set of responsibilities that can be easily misguiding and stagnant.

far easier to look back than to look forward. far easier to destroy than to create. far easier to accept denial than to strive to for ideals. not so easy making it from one end of this life to the other for anyone. we all find our way because transient guests are we.

Last edited:
@shadybraindamage: i like clockwork purification's, i like water bubbles, i like changes. "make friends with change, it's the only thing you can count on." i like shadybraindamage.

you know what?? your right. things have been taken a step forward through our history rarely because large groups have taken the initiative to do so. it is mostly the single individual who has discovered something and implemented it creating a new understanding, the rest jump on the bandwagon and accept it as truth or reality. must be nice. hence why humans are creatures of habit. "same shit different day huh rabbit?!"

destruction is chaos and accomplish is order. humans are both, i like humans.

empirical reality, good one. also related to if god knows everything and free will thread.

when one person says something - others might take it as wrong, others might say don't burst the reality of their dream, others might find it right and others would ignore.

i see the random, chaotic and savage beauty of nature and the cold, vanilla, limp, perpetual structure of life. i see both are needed to balance the other and create the grey for us to live in, to thrive in and create all the infinitesimal wonders in this universe. i also see that one or the other is not always needed to balance each other out for every given situation. it is a sequence of events that unfold and a lot of the time we don't understand it until we look back. makes us dangerously arrogant as a species.

sometimes we go through stages of life as a species where the single is not always important to isolate but the whole has a single use in the performance. this is that time. not out of belief, not out of denial or delusion but born of sustaining life. we can do the easy way now that appears harder or the harder way later which appears bleak. i honor each person for their station in life. most will glow and flow with being united, some will burn with guidance by going against the grain. those few can be more valuable to the rest regardless of how anyone might see their words as misgivings or foreboding. the weakest chain is not always convenient to see and the strongest of leaders sometimes forgets that "a genuine leader is not a searcher of consensus but a molder of consensus"; this carries it's own set of responsibilities that can be easily misguiding and stagnant.

far easier to look back than to look forward. far easier to destroy than to create. far easier to accept denial than to strive to for ideals. not so easy making it from one end of this life to the other for anyone. we all find our way because transient guests are we.

Are these quotes from a bible or your own thoughts and theories?

some people collect stamps, some collect dust (like they're a book on the shelf), some journal/diary and some collect human body parts. i collect quotes.
they come from t.v., movies, video games, books, other people and some are my own. i don't keep the names of them or where i got them but i think i remember most of the ones i posted.

"makes friends with change" is from a t.v. show Hell on Wheels, cullen bohannon.
"same shit different day" is from a movie Super Troopers, arcot ramathorn "thorny".
"savage beauty" i believe is misquoted and supposed to include the word garden (sorry, memory problems) it comes from an anne rice book and it's one of the vampire series. either lestat, the narrator, the devil or god said it.
"chaos" and "order" are what life is made of. plus i was raised being told the world is not so black and white, i met someone who spoke solely of the grey area in life and put the two together.
"weakest chain" is actually weakest link in the chain and is an idiom or english saying.
"a genuine leader is not a searcher" i believe was martin luther king jr.
and "transient are guests are we" is a combination from a vampire book written by hideyuki kikuchi and the experience or meaning of the character of dorian grey from the book The Picture of Dorian Grey written by oscar wilde.

the rest is collective/progressive works of human knowledge (from all walks of life) or some of my own thoughts/theories.

Last edited:
Do you ever wondered what a soul sounds like and I mean as a sound.. Well as a electronic music producer not only as medium, I would say that it has a frequency which can be accesed through stomach where is located at & a pure thunder this is what it's sounds like. Where I wanted to go with this? Nothing is perspective or truth or lies, yourself are a lie.