• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The Damage Drugs Inflict On The Spiritual Body

Lolli

Bluelighter
I found a rather interesting article from a Falun Dafa practitioner who used his supernatural abilities to view the damage Drugs cause to the Spiritual Body. It's a rather insightful read.

( This article is originally in Chinese so the Google translation is not perfect ):

- - -

"The use of drugs has been occurring since the ancient times to the end of every prehistoric civilization. In my cultivation realm, drugs are not produced in our human space. Its real roots come from the devil. It is a poison in the hands of devil Satan. The color of the poison is pale blue, very similar to the blood component of Devil Satan, and has strong Irritating and corrosive effects. Devil Satan has evolved poisons in different styles and reflected in our ordinary human dimension to form a variety of drugs that we know well.

The devil spread drugs to different spaces within the Three Realms, so there are more than just drugs on Earth. Aliens exist in galaxies with different forms of drugs. Aliens can use their hallucinogenic effects to divorce their souls into space. Because the alien's body structure is very different from that of the people on Earth, the effects and damages of drugs on their physical functions are much less severe relative to the Earth's human body. In history, aliens who have come to the Earth have spread the drugs of their planets to humans in an attempt to destroy human wills and become the masters of the earth. In this special historical period, aliens have escaped from the different spaces in the Three Realms to to Earth, manipulating the human mind to study the chemical drugs. The harm to human beings was unprecedented. The source of new drug bath salts was from the aliens hand.

Now let's talk about some of the major drugs that harm the human body. With regard to marijuana, people who see the space in another space will attract many insects that resemble plant hoppers. They are attached to the body of the drug addicts and absorb the essence of the human body. The longer the time spent on drugs, the more poisonous insects the body emits and the more damage to the body.

Cocaine, a drug that can damage the nerves of the paralyzed brain, can cause dysfunction in the body causing the main consciousness to lose control. The devil thinks that cocaine is a poison that takes people's mind and takes human life. If you take it for a long time, your body will gradually darken in another dimension. The vital organs of the human body will become brown and black and gradually fail and become necrotic.

Finally, about heroin, I used the function to see that the main harm of heroin is to cause serious damage to the brain's nervous system and spinal cord nervous system. When people are over-absorbed, it can cause liver and kidney failure.

Heroin addicts have a momentary thrill of euphoria after using the drug. In addition, in another space/time the persons soul (such as a fist-sized air mass) is in a semi-isolated state, and irregular loops around and around the brain. At this time, drug addicts are the weakest, and appendages or guilty spirits attracted by drugs can control the drug addicts to make some strange movements and even self-mutilation and harm others.

People who take heroin for a long period of time create a situation where the physical field of the person emits a special odor that the body forms in another dimension that will attract a special kind of evil spirit. The western gods call it Hell-sucking beast, and the eastern god calls it Gorefiend. This evil spirit is about 2 meters tall and has a similar human torso. The limbs are dry and sluggish, the hands and feet are three-toed. The head has flies-like mouth parts, but the mouth parts hang down to the chest for a long time. When drug addicts heavily use heroin, this kind of evil spirit will insert its mouth part into the back of the drug addict's back and suck human blood, while at the same time injecting an anesthetic into the drug addicts to control their thinking and increase drug addiction. The damage to the human body heroin causes is also reflected in the excessive loss of vitality. When the drug is over, the body will feel extremely exhausted. The spirit and the body will be dysfunctional. If the body is poisoned once, it will take more than a week and a half to make the body slightly recovery it's vitality.

Like the law of the human world, the underworld has a clear verdict on the death of the soul of drug addicts and drug traffickers after their death: drug addicts who pay for their own drugs, and after death, sentencing in the underworld is a labor service for several years. The drug traffickers are felons in the underworld. The underworld's sentencing for drug traffickers is divided into three levels according to the severity of the case: After the death of the primary drug dealer, he enters hell and suffers from torture, most of whom then reincarnate into aquatic animals and other animals and plants. The middle-class drug dealers will be sent directly to the beasts after being punished by hell, forever no person. The high-level drug dealers have been tortured to death after being tortured into hell, the final form of the Soul is completely extinguished.

As the purity of drugs increases, the negative effects of drugs become more violent. After a person has taken all kinds of different drugs, a variety of different negative physical factors will form in the other dimension. In a shallow space/time, the physical field of cannabis is light brown, cocaine is gray, heroin is dark green, ice is black and green, and bath salts are dark black and brown. High concentrations of drugs themselves are poisons. However, in the deeper space/time, the final color of various drugs is reflected in the pale blue color of the demon blood.

- - -

full article here:

http://www.zhengjian.org/node/243825

I think this is basically imaginative nonsense, coupled with misinformation. Here are a few points:

The source of new drug bath salts was from the aliens hand

"Bath salts" is not a drug, but a (very stupid) term used as a blanket to describe pretty much any research chemical stimulant, particularly cathinones. Definitely not created by aliens, but mostly but Chinese labs.

Cocaine, a drug that can damage the nerves of the paralyzed brain, can cause dysfunction in the body causing the main consciousness to lose control. The devil thinks that cocaine is a poison that takes people's mind and takes human life. If you take it for a long time, your body will gradually darken in another dimension. The vital organs of the human body will become brown and black and gradually fail and become necrotic.

The bolded part can be easily disproven.

Finally, about heroin, I used the function to see that the main harm of heroin is to cause serious damage to the brain's nervous system and spinal cord nervous system. When people are over-absorbed, it can cause liver and kidney failure.

This is entirely untrue. Opiates such as heroin do not directly cause any organ/physical damage, which is one of their good points. Of course people destroy their lives with them and my recommendation is for no one to touch them unless you have severe pain and use them clinically. And you can overdose, but when you overdose, you die because you stop breathing, since opiates depress respiration. You can also damage yourself while injecting drugs, but that's due to bad technique or doing it too much; after all, you're sticking yourself with needles.

Anyway this person has no idea what they're talking about with regards to physical effects of drugs, and it sounds like they either made this stuff up on the spot or else they're far too deep into their imagination to determine which thoughts they're having are just their imagination and which are something true. I'm not closed to the idea that people can channel external information or even possibly entities... but...

Still, thanks for sharing, I didn't mean to just crap all over this, but this guy sounds like a complete charlatan.

I think this is basically imaginative nonsense, coupled with misinformation. Here are a few points:

"Bath salts" is not a drug, but a (very stupid) term used as a blanket to describe pretty much any research chemical stimulant, particularly cathinones. Definitely not created by aliens, but mostly but Chinese labs.

The bolded part can be easily disproven.

This is entirely untrue. Opiates such as heroin do not directly cause any organ/physical damage, which is one of their good points. Of course people destroy their lives with them and my recommendation is for no one to touch them unless you have severe pain and use them clinically. And you can overdose, but when you overdose, you die because you stop breathing, since opiates depress respiration. You can also damage yourself while injecting drugs, but that's due to bad technique or doing it too much; after all, you're sticking yourself with needles.

Anyway this person has no idea what they're talking about with regards to physical effects of drugs, and it sounds like they either made this stuff up on the spot or else they're far too deep into their imagination to determine which thoughts they're having are just their imagination and which are something true. I'm not closed to the idea that people can channel external information or even possibly entities... but...

Still, thanks for sharing, I didn't mean to just crap all over this, but this guy sounds like a complete charlatan.

Bath salts is a slang word for the drug you described.

In regards to necrotic vital organs from cocaine use it has to be taken into account that a lot of these phenomena occur in other dimensions. In Falun Dafa they believe that the human body is multidimensional in nature and what we can perceive with our eyes is not all that is there.

Heroin can cause kidney problems, usually from other conditions that arise: https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/opiate-addiction/are-opiates-bad-for-your-kidneys/#gref

Xorkoth I highly recommend taking a look at my previous post. It talks about the core book of Falun Dafa which covers many different spiritual topics and that Cultivators in this powerful Qi Gong system awaken supernatural abilities that allow them to perceive things that ordinary people cannot:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/810837-Zhuan-Falun-(Turning-The-Law-Wheel)

There is a live chat tonight on you tube about this topic at 6pm pst. I'm going to be there , it would be cool if other bluelighters were to join. The discussion tonight is negative effects and consequences of drugs mainly psychedelics . All on a spiritual level of course.
I myself am going to bring up the good it has done for me and the person I wouldn't be today without them .
The person doing the chat is one amazing individual.im actually going to be having a lot of healing done by her this year. The sessions I've already had were totally awesome. I actually have one scheduled for after the chat tonight.
You tube channel - Chela cooley
Tonight @ 6 pst
Given the topic I thought it would be cool to invite anyone here interested in the subject .

I didn't really read the first post fully, just skimmed it, so i guess I should read it, but here's my 2 cents:

i don't believe in a specific "spiritual body" as such, I mean not something measurable by science but psychologically speaking, I do think certain drugs can either have good or bad effects on a person's internal growth.

I mean even the same drug under different circumstances could help or hurt one's personal internal spiritual growth, all depending on usage.

I know a number of drugs I feel have fucked with my spiritual/psychological growth, not sure how many have helped.

In some ways, Kratom has both hurt me and helped me spiritually, but I feel it's helped me a bit more because when I use it I'm reminded somehow that not everything I worry about is so serious.

It sort of "simplifies" things for me and lets me break down internally what things truly are and aren't important.

Shrooms are the best, and last time I did them I just felt really grateful for everything I have in life.

However, I cannot say for sure whether or not any drug I've used has left a permanent good effect on me, but some have definitely messed me up "spiritually/psychologically", and some help temporarily for facing anxiety, but that's a different story.

I've done 40 sessions of neurofeedback which helped my brain more than any drug ever has, and let me tell you, when you get a good neurofeedback session you will feel like you've done a drug: it's really mind blowing how they just hook you up to electrodes and give you currents that effect your alpha, beta, delta and gamma waves.

I've also had some good hypnosis sessions, and recently I did a sweat lodge that felt PROFOUNDLY spiritually helpful.

Let me tell you, when you realize you can make it through 3 hours straight of about 120 degree heat packed with 40 other people in a lodge the size of a very small room and still come out in one piece, it makes you feel pretty strong psychologically that you can handle it.

I felt so full of energy afterwards, not drained like you'd think (of course I chugged TONS of gatorade in preparation so my electrolytes wouldn't shut off so that's partially why).

Mostly it's been the non-drug related conscioiusness altering tools I've used that have helped me spirtually from neurofeedback to meditation to hypnosis and auto hypnosis, various kinds of therapy, Yoga, a sweat lodge and a floatation tank session.

I also have brain technology called "The Photo Sonix Nova Pro" which is goggles with flashing lights and head phones with synchronized binaural beats.

The thing is AMAZING.

You can hook yourself up for over 40 different types of settings, ones that give you energy, one's that reduce anxiety, one's that aid with creativity, and you'd be amazed at how mind altering it can be.

And not so much as a spiritual tool, but I LOVE my "daylight" as it's called which I am actually using right now: it's just a sun lamp which gives you pure vitamin D from flashing in your face, but it's great for energy and also helps you overcome jet lag or get on a good sleep schedule by synchronizing your internal clock, very similar to how taking melatonin can.

Then there's also a regular light setting that I use for the best lamp I've ever had for studying and reading.

For anyone who ever lacks energy or gets Seasonal Affective Disorder I recommend it.

Last edited:
I was really excited about this topic until I saw that every single thing was about as accurate as a 3rd grader guessing what drugs do to you after watching 10 minutes of Reefer Madness.

h

I don't really understand where the specifics mentioned in the OP came from. They don't make sense to me. They sound like the person was on drugs when they wrote it, actually.

The main effect that all drugs cause is ungrounding by sending energy away from feet and toward the head. It does this in a forced way, rather than a natural way that you'd experience from being engaged in cerebral thought processes or from your own energy work. I think it's just a natural byproduct of all the metabolic activity that happens in the brain when you take a drug, even though the brain is not the only place in the body, or the only level, that a drug's effects take place on. Psychedelics do it the strongest, I notice... so much so that at higher doses you can't even walk.

Each drug has its own particular effects beyond ungrounding. In eastern medicine we call them all disturbances of the spirit. By "spirit" they mean consciousness, without referring to where it comes from or the nature of said spirit. Most drugs hinder clarity, even if in the moment they seem to enhance it. Once the drug wears off, a fog remains. The classical definition of that is "clouding the orifices"... the orifices referring to the four chambers of the heart. Once they are clouded by phlegm or fire, the person becomes a bit... off... and maybe even goes crazy.

One thing I've noticed that is true is that drug use attracts entites, especially in people predisposed to extrasensory abilities. Then the entities mess with you. Not a fun experience, but that's what happens when your energy body is wide open. Most regular drug users have premature third eye openings at some point, which leaves them vulnerable.

In most wisdom traditions and lineages that use mind altering substances, it is a guided and protected process. Modern people don't have any guidance or protection most of the time, they just dive right in. I think you have to be careful. There's stuff that we know about via science and the wisdom traditions, but there's a lot we also don't know, and you're potentially getting exposed to all of it when you're high.

"bath salts" (MDPV) is something very special & opens up all kinds of weird dimensions, I know of one group somewhere on this planet that have ritual use of it & think it is sacred.

The person that originally posted what the OP quoted sounds to me like someone who has never smoked n,n dmt to say the least ;)

Also the blanket blasting of heroin as in it wrecks lives etc is kinda dumb, yes a lot of people fall from the use of it BUT some don't, to label it as some terrible killer drug is just dumb imho. I have a lot of years (over a decade) of use of that one drug, I love it but am still alive.

The-Damage-Drugs-Inflict-On-The-Spiritual-Body

Harboring untrue beliefs inflict damage. After all, what is not true is not real. The difficult part is to be unconditionally biased.

I smoked a nice bowl some weeks ago and a friend explained to me that cannabis simply simulated the feeling of an open chakra, and that his meditation basically gave him the cheat codes to life. That's an entertaining thought but food doesn't taste as good for him.

And while I'm not caught up to date on the shamanic literature surrounding psychical observations of spirit organs, I think there are a number of people out there willing to concoct false ideas of what drugs do in order to push their own image of legitimacy (albeit, self narrated legitimacy). I guess you could call these individuals "frauds" or whatever.

Foreigner's post has me scared though. not joking.

Last edited:
"bath salts" (MDPV) is something very special & opens up all kinds of weird dimensions, I know of one group somewhere on this planet that have ritual use of it & think it is sacred.

To be totally accurate, "bath salts" is a blanket term. First it was mephedrone. Then MDPV was the next big one. It became a blanket term to cover all of those RC stimulants that were being sold over the counter at head shops and stuff under branded names and mystery formulations.

This is nonsense

Meher Baba said it better in the 60's there's still some misinformation and nonsense mixed in but at least he makes some good philosophical points compared to this.

GOD IN A PILL?
Meher Baba

In an age when individual liberty is prized above all achievements, the fast-increasing number of drug addicts forms an appalling chain of self-sought bondage! Even as these drugs hold out an invitation to a fleeting sense of ecstasy, freedom or escape, they enslave the individual in greater binding. LSD, a highly potent "mind-changing" drug differing from the opium derivatives and being used in the research of mental science, is said to "expand consciousness and alter one's personality for the better". In America it has become tragically popular among the young, used indiscriminately by any and many. They must be persuaded to desist from taking drugs, for they are harmful ? physically, mentally and spiritually.

All so-called spiritual experiences generated by taking "mind-changing" drugs such as LSD, mescaline and psilocybin are superficial and add enormously to one's addiction to the deceptions of illusion which is but the shadow of Reality.

No drug, whatever its great promise, can help one to attain the spiritual goal. There is no short-cut to the goal except through the grace of the Perfect Master*, and drugs, LSD more than others, give only a semblance of "spiritual experience," a glimpse of a false Reality. [*The Perfect Master is the God-realized being who has completed the cycle of evolution and involution through which consciousness is developed, matured and perfected, and who subsequently elects to return to active participation in creation in order to help other souls perfect consciousness.]

The experience of a semblance of freedom that these drugs may temporarily give to one is in actuality a millstone around the aspirant's neck in his efforts towards emancipation from the rounds of birth and death.

The experience is as far removed from Reality as is a mirage from water. No matter how much one pursues the mirage one will never reach water and the search for God through drugs must end in disillusionment. One who knows the Way, who is the Way, cannot approve the continued pursuance of a method that not only must prove fruitless but leads away from the Path that leads to Reality.

Experiences gained through LSD are, in some cases, experiences of the shadows of the subtle (emotion, energy) plane in the gross (physical) world. These experiences have nothing at all to do with spiritual advancement.

The user of LSD can never reach subtle consciousness in this incarnation despite its repeated use. To experience real spiritual consciousness, surrenderance to a Perfect Master is necessary.

It is human, and therefore necessarily wrongsighted, to view the result of the drug by its immediate relative effects ? to calculate its end result is beyond human knowledge, and only the true Guide can point the way.

The experiences derived through the drugs are experiences by one in the gross world of the shadows of the subtle planes and are not continuous. The experiences of the subtle sphere by one on the subtle planes are continuous, but even these experiences are of illusion, for Reality is beyond them. And so, though LSD may lead one to feel a better man personally, the feeling of having had a glimpse of Reality may not only lull one into a false security but also will in the end derange one's mind. Although LSD is not an addiction-forming drug one can become attached to the experiences arising from its use and one gets tempted to use it in increasing doses, again and again, in the hope of deeper and deeper experiences. But eventually this causes madness or death.

An example of experiences that are shadows of the subtle plane encountered in the gross world is that of a yogi who taught his 150 students to go into trance. When the students came out of the trance they were asked by the yogi to describe their experiences. Their accounts would be amazing to a man in the street, for in their state of trance they saw lights and colours galore ? dazzling lights in colours and in circles and in different designs. They felt all things around them pulsating with light and felt themselves separate from their own bodies and became witness to all things.

Even such experiences as these are but the shadows of the subtle plane experienced in the gross world, for they are not continuous. However, these are NOT spiritually harmful, but neither are they spiritually beneficial. But experiences induced through the use of drugs are harmful physically.

Even actual experiences of the subtle planes in the subtle sphere (which are always continuous) are likened to the pleasure of children playing with toys. However, these experiences are spiritually beneficial since they create a longing in the aspirant for further advancement. But union with God is impossible without the grace of the Perfect Master.

Consciousness is fully evolved and complete as soon as the soul identifies itself with the human form. This consciousness neither increases nor decreases; only the experiences of consciousness increase. Hence the states of sub-sub-super consciousness, sub-super consciousness, super consciousness and God consciousness. This in other words is gross consciousness, subtle consciousness, mental consciousness and God consciousness. The lighter the burden of impressions (sanskaras) the higher the experience of consciousness.

There is also a state of perverted consciousness. It is a state in which consciousness indulges in induced experiences such as those gotten from the use of drugs; and even the most fantastic experiences thus induced are only the shadows of the subtle plane experienced in the gross world.

Only the One who knows and experiences Reality, who is Reality, has the ability and authority to point out the false from the Real. The only Real experience is to continuously see God within oneself as the infinite effulgent ocean of Truth and then to become one with this infinite ocean and continuously experience infinite knowledge, power and bliss.

To a few sincere seekers, LSD may have served as a means to arouse that spiritual longing which has brought them into my contact, but once that purpose is served further ingestion would not only be harmful but have no point or purpose. The longing for Reality cannot be sustained by further use of drugs but only by the love for the Perfect Master which is a reflection of his love for the seeker.

An individual may feel LSD has made a "better" man of him socially and personally. But one will be a better man through Love than one can ever be through drugs or any other artificial aid. And the best man is he who has surrendered himself to the Perfect Master irrespective of his personal or social standing.

As for possible use of the drug by an enlightened society for spiritual purposes ? an enlightened society would never dream of using it!

All the experiences even of spiritual aspirants on the Path to God-realization (gotten in the natural course of involution of consciousness) are of the domain of Illusion and are ephemeral and absolutely unimportant; how much more illusory and distracting are the experiences through substances compounded in a laboratory which have the semblance of those of the aspirant on the Spiritual Path! The one and only true experience is the experience of the Truth, the Reality; for once the realization of God is attained it remains a continual and never-ending experience.

The all-pervading effulgence of God the Reality can only be experienced by an aspirant who keeps himself scrupulously above all illusory experimentations and humbly takes refuge in love of God.

God can only be realized by loving Him with all the love at one's command ? pure, simple and unadulterated love. When one's love for God, and God alone, is at its zenith true longing for union with God is greatest, and the aspirant's ego assertion is then at its lowest point.

The aspirant at this stage is in the sixth plane of consciousness (vide God Speaks) and "sees" God face to face in all His glory. The aspirant experiences this without fear of fluctuation in his continual and never-ending experiencing of "seeing" the glory of God. Even this most sublime experience of "seeing" God face to face falls short of the only true experience ? union with God the Reality.

It is absolutely essential for a spiritual aspirant who genuinely longs for union with God ? the Reality ? to shun experiments with the effects of certain drugs. These things do not uplift the aspirant nor draw him out of the rut of Illusion. Experiences born of these practices wear off as soon as the aspirant withdraws from or is thrown out of the orbit of the effect produced by the technique employed.

When I hear people talk about which path is the most legit and not legit, some red flags go up. I mean, there are methods which may be more useful than others, but nobody can really tell for sure what another person's path is. I did a lot of LSD in my 20's. It advanced me in many ways - ways that would've taken me a whole life time to discover. But I didn't come away from it unscathed. Sometimes curiosity strikes gold; other times curiosity kills the cat. In my case it did a bit of both. I've known people who got off scott free and others who were messed up for life.

It's safe to say that the psychedelic route to spiritual realization (if that's your goal) is more risky.

well thats the highest shit ive ever read. what about other legal drugs that cause damage to the body? caffeine? no? just illegal ones? awwww someones biased :$

Gabriel Cousens' writings on drugs in his book, Spiritual Nutrition (2009) are relevant to this topic. It's worth pointing out that at the beginning he says that classical psychedelic drugs cause brain damage, but in the second paragraph he states that we only have neurotoxicity evidence for "cocaine, amphetamines, ecstasy (MDMA), and Redux (a Prozac-like drug)." It's also worth mentioning that he feels that ayahuasca is special (what else is new?): "At this stage of limited research, ayahuasca does not seem to consistently have any problems with short-term or long-term chronic usage.[13]"

Indian and Hebrew terms are used in this writing. Here are definitions from the back of the book:

ojas (S) – vital life force energy and reserve of vital energy
prana (S) – vital life force
tamasic (S) – one of three gunas or states; the state associated with inertia; a veil of ignorance; sloth; junk food
vata (S) – one of the psychophysiological states or doshas in the Ayurvedic system; associated with anxiety, fear, and imbalanced energies
sattvic (S) – one of the three gunas or states; a state of holiness that points one inward to the Divine
Essenes (H) – esoteric, Kabbalistically oriented Jewish sect
Kabbalah (H) – esoteric spiritual path in the Jewish tradition of God-merging; receiving the Divine to share the Divine; Kabbalah is not a book, but a tradition of awakening
B'lee mah (H) – the Nothing
Mah (H) – with; the What (in juxtaposition to the Nothing, or without What – B'lee mah)
avadut (S) – a Liberated Being who lives wild, free, often alone in the forest

Drug Use

The use of drugs depletes ojas and deranges the prana and the tejas. A typical ojas-depleting drug is marijuana; others include peyote, psychedelic mushrooms, LSD, ecstasy, cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, and ketamine. One of the most serious problems associated with these herbal and pharmaceutical drugs is their effect of hyperstimulating the serotonin concentrations through a variety of mechanisms to create neuronal destruction from an excess of serotonin, which then becomes oxidized. In this oxidized form, the serotonin is neurotoxic. A healthy serotonergic system acts like a neurochemical anti-stress system, maintaining balance, resilience, inner strength, and a sense of well-being. For this reason, the author considers the serotonin system a functional part of our ojas and general emotional well-being. When it is depleted, so is the ojas.

Evidence of neurotoxicity has accumulated for cocaine, amphetamines, ecstasy (MDMA), and Redux (a Prozac-like drug).[5] Drugs like ecstasy and LSD can boost not only serotonin, but also adrenaline and dopamine.[6] Clinically, the author can physiologically detect the damage for several weeks after someone has taken ecstasy. Lab studies with animals on neuron affects of Redux show that it destroys the branches of the serotonin neurons called axons.[7] In some cases these animal studies showed neurotoxicity when the drugs were administered just for days at dose levels that humans take for up to one year.[8] If the damage was not too severe, the neurons would sprout new branches.[9] The animals could still function with the destruction. The brain has tremendous capacity and reserve, but neuroscientists suggest that the effects of significant damage may not appear until a later age when the brain's neuronal reserve becomes depleted.[10] Research on Redux by Dr. Vina McCann at the National Institute of Mental Health, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, suggests that neurotoxicity is dependent both on dose level and duration. Redux is often compared to ecstasy as well as Prozac, which both significantly raise serotonin. Studies of ecstasy have shown that when the damaged serotonin neurons sprout new branches, there is a “highly abnormal” brain rewiring that does not follow the original brain pattern.[11] Some of the ecstasy studies, however, have been considered invalid because the researchers used amphetamines instead of ecstasy. The clinical reports of medical symptoms of ecstasy users, however, substantiate the author's concern and warning about the use of ecstasy, so he feels a warning now about its potential danger is as valid as warning about the dangers of cigarette smoking before thirty years of research conclusively proved the toxicity of cigarettes. High amounts of serotonin in the synapses of the neurons can be easily oxidized to form serotonergic neurotoxins.[12] Unfortunately, there is not enough long-term research on any of these drugs individually to make any definitive statements, but it is reasonable to assume that chronic usage or high amounts in one dose have the potential to cause brain damage, at least to the serotonergic neurons, with a concomitant decrease in normal serotonin production and disruption of neuron axons.

Clinical symptoms have been seen in chronic usage of LSD, ecstasy, ketamine, a variety of psychedelic mushrooms, and marijuana. The author has seen many people over the years who have “blown-out” their ojas and other brain functions with these drugs. Symptoms include emotional confusion, memory loss, loss of vital force, adrenal and liver depletion, post-drug depression, psychosis, and a disruption and disorganization of the flow of Kundalini. Kundalini can be disrupted with ayahuasca as well. Some people appear to be untouched by the use of these drugs in the short term, but there remains an unnecessary high risk for too many vulnerable drug users. The most vulnerable are people who have vata constitutions, are vata imbalanced, have been previously diagnosed with mental conditions, have a sensitive nadi system, or are dehydrated. One of the author's sub-specialties is repairing this type of damage as a way to support people's spiritual life, joy, and happiness.

The spiritual life provided by a high-prana diet and lifestyle takes one into the sattvic guna of increased clarity, brightness, and Light of the Divine. To some people, this intensity on spiritual, psychological, and emotional levels may be too intense. Marijuana, peyote, and other drugs that create a more tamasic or numbing state dampen the sattvic effect of a live-food diet. In Yoga, tamas is characterized by a veil of ignorance, sloth, lack of discipline, and lack of will power. Marijuana use, seen in this context, may be used as a way to dampen the prana. There are much safer and better ways to decrease vata, prana, and sattva. This does not mean that one may not get some visions or insights from these drugs, but psychedelic drug use is what is referred to in Ayurveda as sattva in tamas, and long-term use of psychedelics has the potential to keep one in the phenomenology of the astral planes and may retard spiritual development on the highest planes of Kundalini, Self-realization and merging with God. The author does not deny that psychedelic drug use has not been a powerful spiritual catalyst and door opener for many on the planet for their first spiritual experiences beyond the three-dimensional plane of so-called “normal life.” The question is, does the seeker choose to stay standing in the doorway or to walk through? Proper usage of these drugs in ceremony is common in talk, but rare in practice. The use of herbal or synthetic “consciousness drugs” is not the “medicine” way of the Essene and Kabbalistic paths. Their use is highly likely to be harmful in chronic or long-term use.

At this stage of limited research, ayahuasca does not seem to consistently have any problems with short-term or long-term chronic usage.[13] It is important to keep in mind the case study #1 in Chapter 4 – the subject who took ayahuasca after his Kundalini was awakened and suffered severe imbalances. People have felt they have benefited from onetime or occasional ceremonial use, often at the beginning stages of the spiritual path. Many who have been introduced to spiritual life through drug usage may become caught in the illusion of moving deeper on the path through repeated use. This one knows no Realized Being who supports the use of drugs for realization, neither historically nor in the present. That does not mean that ayahuasca taken in its natural setting in the Amazon under traditional shamanic guidance has not been effective in helping people clear up emotional and mental imbalances or helping people connect to the energy of Mother Gaia. Ayahuasca is primarily used by shamans as part of a spiritual healing ceremony. The more important point, however, is that you do not need any dependence on drugs to create these effects or healing. There are many meditators, including this one, who have had such experiences and teachings on a daily basis after the Kundalini awakens. Thinking you need drugs to have this experience creates the illusion of dependency and limits one's freedom to move in any direction in the sacred walk between B'lee mah and Mah in ordinary life. It requires no psychedelics to experience the silent wonderment of “awakened normality” that may be experienced as a result of living the Six Foundations. Once the Kundalini is awakened, the non-causal ecstasy, non-causal peace, and non-causal contentment of life that is our heritage is available regularly. The effect does not “wear off,” there is no “trip” to come down from, and there are no side effects. Awakened normality is our natural state. It does not depend on anything outside of us or anything we need to ingest. Freedom is independent of any external conditions. All we need is to be in the silence that allows us to transcend the limitations of the mind and brain. Drugs confine us to the chemistry of the brain and emotions and therefore limit us in this ultimate sense. The awakened life is about being exquisitely present in this world. This is the true miracle. It is not the limited phenomenological world of drugs; it is the real wow of life, as one dances in the Divine Presence and the whole world becomes alive and shares its sacred walk with you. Sai Baba of Shirdi, a great avadhuta and God-conscious Being, was so omnipresent that it took an average of one hour to walk fifty yards. Do we really need to travel to Brazil to take some drugs to feel alive? Does this really have anything to do with Liberation? The point the author is raising is not whether drugs, synthetic or organic, are dangerous, or have a high risk-to-benefit ratio, or not whether they are a valid path – but rather, where the path leads? For those who indeed have benefited from them as a door opener, are they a path that leads to full Liberation or perhaps only to the doorway? Drugs, like the ego of the mind-body complex they stimulate, must be let go if we are to go all the way to the Nothing. Those who dance in the I AM THAT require no props.

When introduced to other ways of building spiritual awareness, such as meditation and Yoga, often the drug usage significantly diminishes because the seeker has found more sustaining and less potentially toxic ways. As people mature spiritually and have an increasing experience of the non-causal contentment, peace, and joy of sattvic life, drugs gradually stop being considered as a means to evolve spiritually. Once one has the Kundalini awakened, tastes the nectar of sattvic life, and has established a spiritual foundation, drug use simply looks pale. The vast majority of Eastern and Western recognized Self-realized Beings do not recommend drugs as part of a deep spiritual path to Liberation. Mostly these drugs stimulate the phenomenology of astral plane experiences and insights, which is not the goal of Liberation.

Once the Kundalini is awakened, the author strongly recommends one does not do any drugs or harsh Yoga practices that force the Kundalini and interfere with the delicate process that has been activated. Simply supporting the Kundalini unfolding with the Six Foundations is enough. The Sacred Feminine has a Divine unfolding pattern all its own that is best respected and surrendered to. It is a feminine pattern of surrender rather than a masculine path of fitting into a pre-set form or forcing with techniques or drugs. The way of Kundalini is gentle and peaceful, and it knows how to help one through blocks in its own unique unfoldment. People who have had difficulty with Kundalini have typically been those who have tried to force the unfolding with drugs, excessive pranayama, or other extreme practices, or who have pre-existing mental disturbances. Aside from this, the author has seen hardly anyone have difficulty if they maintain their foundations of spiritual practice. The issue of drugs and Self-realization is a topic that serious seekers of spiritual Liberation need to honestly address. (pages 377-381)

5. Glenmullen, Joseph. Prozac Backlash. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.

6. Ibid.

7. Ibid.

8. Primary Pulmonary Hypertension from Fenfluramine and Dexfenfluramine: A Systemic review of Evidence,” Journal of the American Medical Association 278 (1997): 666–72.

9. Westphalen, R. I. And Dodd, P. R. “The Regeneration of d,l-Fenfluramine-Destroyed Serotonergic Nerve Terminals,” European Journal of Pharmacology 238 (1993): 399–402.

10. McCann, U. D. Op. cit.

11. Fischer, C., Hatzidimitriou, G., Wlos, J., Katz, J., and Ricaurte, G. “Reorganization of Ascending 5-HT Axon Projections in Animals Previously Exposed to the Recreational Drug (3), 4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, ‘Ecstacy’),” Journal of Neuroscience 15 (1995): 5476–85.

12. Ibid. Wrona, M. Z., Yang, Z., Zhang, F., and Dryhurst, G. “Potentail New Insights into the Molecular Mechanisms of Methamphetamine-Induced Neurodegeneration,” National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Monograph Series 173 (1997): 146–74.

13. Grob, Charles and Metzner, Ralph. Personal communication. 2004.

More info on drugs from other parts of the book:

Some claim that many patients in mental hospitals are there because of an undiagnosed Kundalini awakening. This has not been the author's experience, neither as a psychiatrist having worked in mental hospitals, nor as a spiritual teacher involved with the subtleties of Kundalini. Manic episodes, spaced-out and disorganized thinking, or intense personal and even spiritual crises are not the same as a Kundalini awakening. Labeling them as such may make people feel good, but adds confusion to the process of getting proper help. It is, however, useful to redefine and appropriately turn the crisis, whatever it is, into an opportunity for psycho-spiritual growth. It has been the author's experience, from the Kundalini Crisis Clinic and in Muktananda's main ashrams in Ganeshpuri, India and South Fallsburg, N.Y., where he often performed in the role of a psychiatrist evaluating and supporting people having serious psychological difficulties, that many of the people who had difficulties with their Kundalini awakening had a previous history of psychotic episodes or a very brittle nervous system. These people would usually be carefully stabilized and compassionately sent back home to continue their spiritual work in a less intense, Kundalini-charged situation. It is important to understand that people with this sort of background do not need to stop their spiritual work, but should be very careful about practices that artificially force the awakening of Kundalini, intensify the energy after the awakening, or that in general amplify the nervous system energy before it is ready, whether or not there has been an awakening. (pages 22-23)

Healing Unbalanced Kundalini Energy

Since 1976, when the author and Dr. Lee Sanella started the first Kundalini Crisis Clinic in the world, the author has been working to understand the mystery of how Kundalini works. He has had the unique opportunity and blessing to work directly under Swami Muktananda helping people in the ashram in India and in the U.S. cope with imbalances in Kundalini. He also has had opportunities to work with people around the world in many different traditions, through the Kundalini Crisis Clinic and in his work at the Tree of Life Foundation, who have experienced some sort of difficulty with Kundalini. Fortunately, only a small percentage of people have difficulties. During this time the author has observed and treated a number of very interesting Kundalini crises (which are distinctly different from psycho-spiritual crises), which have given the author some insight. There is almost no current literature that seriously discusses the cause or correction of Kundalini imbalances with any particular insight into the situation in our modern context, so the author has been very much on his own, trying to sort this out. Based on Grace, through the author's scientific observation and the nature of people with several types of Kundalini imbalances, a theory has begun to emerge. The theory is based on several key experiences, described here as “cases,” that represent the key aspects of the model.

Case #1: A man in his twenties had the Kundalini awakened. His teacher suggested that he could enhance this experience with the drug ayahuasca. Immediately after taking the ayahuasca, and for the next year until he met the author, this person suffered extreme Kundalini imbalances. These symptoms included suffering from intense nightmares, night terrors, insomnia, severe nausea, energetic depletion (he hadn't previously been depleted), spaciness, ungroundedness, severe emotional and intuitive imbalances, extreme emotional and psychic sensitivity, and what looked from the outside like extremely depleted ojas (vital life force energy). When the author met him and Graced him with Shaktipat, a rebalancing of the system occurred immediately. The energy began to flow up the sushumna, or central channel, and over the next year the person slowly regained his energy. His night terrors, insomnia, spaciness, and confusion began to recede, and over a year's period of time from receiving Shaktipat, his system came into balance. Supportive therapies included herbs to build ojas, an ojas-building diet and lifestyle with emphasis on minimizing sexual activity, and a homeopathic remedy. The person has now returned to his role as a spiritual teacher full-time and has significantly recovered from the effects of having taken the ayahuasca. (pages 82-83)

The theory of working with unbalanced Kundalini energy is based on the esoteric physiology that has been previously described. There are three granthis, or knots. When the Kundalini is awakened, all three are opened simultaneously, yet these three knots do act as regulators of the flow of the Kundalini. At the base of the spine is the Muladhara granthi. In the author's theory, the disregulation of the flow of Kundalini happens at the Muladhara granthi. In the physiology of the Kundalini, what is known as the kanda region, which is just below the Muladhara, or first, chakra, is where the three basic nadis, the ida, pingala and sushumna, meet and begin at the yukta triveni, just before the entrance to the Muladhara chakra. It is in this region where the disregulation is thought to occur. What happens theoretically is that there is a blockage or disregulation that occurs as the Shakti Kundalini, instead of going straight up through the middle pillar of the sushumna, is diverted through all the 72,000 nadis and chakras with their associated endocrine and nervous system components, imbalancing a variety of vrittis and physiological systems. This blockage or disregulation creates both an imbalanced and, in some cases, irregular flow primarily in the ida and pingala. As it begins to flow in the different directions it tends to significantly affect the adrenals, the base chakra, and the adrenal and kidney energies. An overstimulation of the adrenals, or weakening of the adrenals, tends to weaken the astral field. This opens people up to all sorts of psychic phenomena, creating vata imbalances, nightmares, insomnia, and astral holes. This is made much worse by the use of drugs, which also disrupt the astral field. The person in case #1 who had taken the ayahuasca and immediately began to have these kind of problems, such as vata imbalance, fears, nightmares, insomnia, extreme psychic sensitivity, and emotional and yin exhaustion is an example of this situation. It is very typical, as the energy is imbalancing and stressing the adrenals, that many people with a Kundalini imbalance have a depletion in ojas. This ojas energy is essential for holding the energy of the Kundalini. This is why Yoga practices, a proper diet, and the action of kedusha (holiness) are important for building the energies for building up the ojas as a preparation for awakening and sustaining Kundalini energy. (pages 85-86)

Healing Kundalini Imbalance

The prime treatment for Kundalini imbalance from the author's experience is receiving Shaktipat from a Kundalini master (one who is Liberated and who has been initiated in a lineage). In the process of giving transmission of Shaktipat, the astral field of the person in case #1, which had been mainly disrupted and torn by drugs, and was weakened, contracted, and not able the handle the energy as it was brought into the adrenals and kidneys, begins to open to healing and the holes in the field are activated toward healing. (p. 87)

Case #2 is an example where the person had such an egoistic lust for the Divine that he got impatient and began forcing Kundalini with advanced Yogic techniques. This karmic reactivation causes the congestion at the first granthi, which then converts the energy into stressing the adrenals and upsetting the flow of the kidney energies. One of the teachings, therefore, that Gabriel believes prevents people from falling into this egoistic imbalance is explaining the Divine Strategy of Grace and how one must surrender to the unfolding of one's own Kundalini energy. This does require patience, peace, and surrender rather than forcing with excessive Yogic techniques, drugs, or any other excessive techniques. The Kundalini is a feminine energy and by respecting the unfolding of the feminine energy rather than activating the karmas of past lives, of pushing, and of lust, we are able to avoid blocking or causing disregulation. This form of meditation is spontaneous and free-flowing, rather than the masculine concept of forcing and fitting into a form and a technique. This is the mystery of Kundalini – surrendering to the Kundalini and to the Grace that is being given rather than attempting to control the situation. Controlling or forcing comes from an egoistic state of past vasanas of how to deal with spiritual life. They can result in imbalance. (p. 89)

The third part of the treatment is building up the ojas, which is described in Chapter 25. Emphasizing once again that drug usage depletes the ojas and disrupts the astral field, we have the example we have seen in case #1. Asana practice is specifically designed to integrate the Kundalini energies, the chakra systems, the granthis, the nadis, and the koshas (discussed in the next chapter). These definitely help to rebalance the Kundalini energy when done in moderation. (p. 90)

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed that is true is that drug use attracts entites, especially in people predisposed to extrasensory abilities. Then the entities mess with you. Not a fun experience, but that's what happens when your energy body is wide open. Most regular drug users have premature third eye openings at some point, which leaves them vulnerable.

Well, yeah. And quite frankly, that sucks. :(

""Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself... soulless and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life." — Remus Lupin's description of Dementors"

These fuckers are real...

Far out. I believe in aliens and I guess the good ones want me to stay off all drugs I just lack the patience to heal my brain without psychedelics I guess but if I am not careful I will hurt myself again.