• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy Seed Tea Withdrawal Is Hell

Day 25. Completely ran out of energy yesterday afternoon and the sleep deprivation really caught up with me as I was driving home from work. Concentration was way off and vision seemed almost blurry so I stopped and got a small coffee to clear my head. Made it home OK and was pretty much a slug for the rest of the evening although I did manage to get up and fix a decent dinner for the wife and I. I got so pissed off at the rainy, damp weather that I went out and fired up the grill for the first time this year just to prove a point--not sure what it was since I was cold and wet when I got done. But dammit, I grilled out for the first time this Spring, so there. Anyway, decided it was time for sleep meds so I took a Lunesta about 10pm and went to bed. Managed to get about 5.5 hrs of straight sleep. Even though I can still feel the hangover effect of the Lunesta, the sleep was badly needed and I do feel more rested. Had about 8 oz of weak coffee so starting to feel more focused. Kind of hate using the caffeine, but I've got shit to do today and need to get going.

Body aches related to WD are getting better--seems to have mostly settled in my knees for some reason and they are the one body part that I have not fucked up in some way during my life. Congestion is mostly clear, and sneezes seem to be happening less--down to a more normal 3 or 4 at a time. I do get brief flashes of anxiety when I first wake up from a short sleep for some reason. Seems like if I can get into REM cycle or deep sleep for more than a few hours, I don't notice it as much. But when I wake up after an hour or less I feel really panicked/nervous which takes a while to clear. Aside from the foggy, tired effects of limited sleep, physically/mentally things seem to be getting better at a faster rate. For me, during WD, things feel awful and move in slow motion to a certain point where it's hard to feel any improvement at all most days. Seems like there is a point of critical mass where you actually do start to feel better day-to-day and the good ones start to outnumber the bad.

Sun is out today but the high is only supposed to be in the 40's--suppose that's better than rain/snow...If it somehow manages to stay dry this weekend, I am supposed to go pick-up my ultralight kit/project which is kind of exciting.

GOLLUM!!! Day 25! You are amazing! It is day 16 for me! yippeee!! I feel like absolute shit! haha. Drugged myself again last night and at 11;30, I was STILL AWAKE took more Xanax and woke up around 5:30 courtesy of my hub having to get to work (poor thing). I'm tired, I have a headache, I truly feel and look like GOLLUM! I did put on makeup and do my hair and put on normal clothes yesterday due to doc appt and having to run errands and other junk. I still looked ugly as hell. My hub did say last night that I was a million times better than last week at this time and I said that is because I am all drugged up on XANAX every damn night! Normally, I never swear, ever, unless I stub my toe or something and then I will say, "SHIT!", but I am scaring my kids because I sound like a sailor. They keep saying, mom, why are you swearing. I don't know?! . This sleep deprivation is killing my vibe of perfect mom. Well, guess what, I'm not perfect. Still haven't cleaned the bathrooms, barely keeping my crap together and I am going out for a hike in a few to make myself get some natural dopamine.

I really pushed myself Wednesday. It was a beautiful day so I hiked farther than I should have, cleaned the house ran all sorts of errands, extremely slow (which is not like me because I am usually a speed demon). I did 5 loads of laundry before bed that night and my body started with bad sweats and chills and zings up my spine into my head again. I am guessing that overdoing is not great, but sitting around doing nothing is worse! This is just pure hell! I just want some natural sleep and then maybe, just maybe, I could heal from this crap! But, I was thinking, since we both have run marathons. I was thinking how incredibly hard it is to get your body ready for one. It takes months of preparation and discipline and planning and pushing yourself. I am only over two weeks out from this shitty stuff. To train your body to run a marathon or get through a really difficult class in college, it takes months of study, discipline and exercise to do it. I am not going to be okay in two weeks. It would take me 6 weeks after getting injured and healed to get back to semi decent shape running,. I used to give myself stress fractures in my feet because I would push myself too hard too fast and then have to take 6-8 weeks off in a boot to heal and then start back up in pathetically bad shape and about 6 weeks of making myself get back in shape, I would finally not hate running. I am going to focus on this as a training for me to get better. To qualify for Boston, it took over a year. I had to run other marathons, really discipline and push myself. I can do this. I gave birth naturally to my last couple of kids because I am weird like that and really like to do hard things. Everyone told me I was crazy and that why should I suffer if I could have a pain free delivery and that I would be begging for drugs before I could deliver, I didn't. I wanted to be just like every other woman from the beginning of time and know the pain and joy of bringing a child into the world naturally. I wanted to be like them. I am strange, I know. We can do this. I wish we lived by each other and could get our butts out and complain together like I would with my running partners and laugh about the misery of it all. I guess we can do that on here. You are already way ahead of me, but that is my new attitude. I don't know why I thought I would be almost fine after 10 days to 2 weeks. It takes your body a lot longer than that to get in shape and prepare for things.

I am so glad the sun is out for you. Get out there and go get your kit and have a fun weekend! Thank you or being a good support to me. I truly need it. It's overcast and rainy here but I will enjoy being rained on I guess. XO

Where are you today? I hope out having fun. I'm stuck inside because of crappy weather and doing awful house stuff. I was going to grill today, just because you motivated me and I really want winter to be over....but, I'm too tired. hahaha!! Maybe tomorrow. I feel like laying on my bed and crying and feeling sorry for me today. I'm pathetic!!!

@8thday: Well, I can't exactly say I was out having fun, but I was productive. Came home from work early and decided the garage was WAY past due for some cleaning/organizing. Seems like every winter it accumulates crap--when someone doesn't know what to do with something they just throw it in the garage. And, my wife has this obsession with taking stuff to Goodwill or the recycling center. I should say she has the good intention of taking stuff, but never does, so I end up doing it or just throwing things away letting her think I took it...I actually made 3 trips and have a mountain of junk for trash day (I hope it's "big trash" day). Worked on the garage until 9:00 last night and it may actually be cleaner than our kitchen right now. Had to get it organized, though, so I can fill it back up with ultralight parts...

I've been reading through some of your posts on this thread and yours. Not sure you have done that, but you can tell a huge difference just in the tone and attitude from you first few to your last few. I do the same thing with mine sometimes--the early posts in WD are filled with fear, anxiety, panic, frustration, anger but there is a noticeable progression to improvement as the physical stuff starts to pass and thoughts become more lucid and coherent. It was something I didn't expect when I started documenting my journeys on Bluelight.

I noticed in your thread you said you were still having gastro issues. Have you tried taking the looperamide/Imodium without the Dramamine and only as directed? May have been an interaction that caused the nausea. It's also important to stay hydrated while taking it since it works by pulling water out to slow the bowels.

You are doing great and doing the right things. Keep pushing yourself and focus on the positive.

GOLLUM, the Goodwill and garbage, hahahaaaa! made me laugh. I do that too.

I keep thinking I should be past the gastro issues. I'm day 17 today! At least I think it's 17. My brain is in a fog because it is morning. I was thinking of taking Immodium the last couple of days because it is 15X a day. Just took one. I have a million things to do today. I have to go get all my kids ready and make them go to a charily walk that I had to sign up for for another kid and it is pouring outside. I am so exhausted, but much better than the beginning of the week. Sleep makes all the difference! I took 2 Xanax last night so 1mg, half a Unisom and actually fell asleep. That is what I took Sunday night and it put me out. The other days during the week, I was trying to go with less and it never put me out. I am going to go with nothing tonight and I will most likely not sleep but, I don't want to have a Xanax addiction either.

Crappy day here again. Glad for the moisture, but the days of warmth and sun we had earlier this week sure brightened things for me.

How are you sleeping?

That's a great and accurate observation IAG made. The tone of your posts most definitely has changed.

As IAG, he's not at the having fun part yet - but has definitely improved. You're both doing incredibly good. You're digging deep and powering through it. For that, I truly hope you both realize how incredibly brave and strong you both are.

I took 2 Xanax last night so 1mg, half a Unisom and actually fell asleep. That is what I took Sunday night and it put me out. The other days during the week, I was trying to go with less and it never put me out. I am going to go with nothing tonight and I will most likely not sleep but, I don't want to have a Xanax addiction either.

How are you sleeping?

If the Xanax is helping you get some rest and you don't take too much on a regular schedule, I would continue to use it. I've never had Xanax but I doubt you will be trading addictions if you don't use too much or on a regular schedule. If it does form a habit, it would be much easier to taper down from over time compared to the PST. I think I made it over 30 days with little to no sleep during my last WD before I broke down and called my doctor. But like I have said, having struggled with insomnia most of my adult life kind of conditioned me for feeling like a complete zombie most days. During this WD, I have been using the sleep meds occasionally when I am nearing a catatonic state and I think they have helped. While I feel more physically rested when I use them, it seems they all have a hangover effect that really effects my mental clarity and concentration.

This is Day 18 for you right? That is fantastic! I would guess within a week or so you will begin to see things improving at a faster rate. It is still a long, slow process back to normal but when you can wake up and say "I actually feel pretty good today" it does wonders for your attitude and you really start believing things are going to be fine. Keep pushing forward--you are doing amazing.

That's a great and accurate observation IAG made. The tone of your posts most definitely has changed.

As IAG, he's not at the having fun part yet - but has definitely improved. You're both doing incredibly good. You're digging deep and powering through it. For that, I truly hope you both realize how incredibly brave and strong you both are.

Thanks 10Years--you are great cheerleader! I guess "fun" is relative...compared to how I felt 20 days ago, I am having a friggin' blast at this point!

Day 27. I actually feel pretty good today...I have been using Lunesta on a very sporadic basis but decided to try a Restoril last night since I don't have much planned today. They are benzos so I don't really like messing with them but it put me out like a light around 11pm and I slept straight through to 6am. Probably the longest stretch of sleep I have had since restarting the recovery. I still feel a bit foggy this morning but not horrible. Gastro issues, anxiety, depression, congestion all seem to have passed at this point. Still some aching in my knees and legs still feel heavy/tired but not as bad. Dull headache comes and goes but have not had any cluster/migraines behind my eye in the past couple of weeks which is good. Back and shoulders are killing me today which is probably due to laying still for 7 hours. Been stretching/moving so hopefully it will improve. I get so pissed off when I wake up in pain--I want to just get going but the body is just not ready to go. Probably some karma at work for abusing it with stupid stunts over they years. Payback is a bitch, I suppose.

Managed to get the ultralight kit/project/mess home yesterday. It's laying in a pile in one bay of the garage. The wife said it reminded her of what the one I crashed looked like after impact...Geez, that's kind of ominous. I told her I didn't build/maintain that one (it belonged to a local farmer who hadn't started it for about 2 years before I got in it and took off--i.e. "stupid stunts"/karma). We were actually engaged at the time and had to postpone the wedding 6 months because I was in body cast. But, she married me anyway--so whose the stupid one? Last thing she said before she went back into the house was "Don't kill yourself this time, old man". Ouch.

Weather report: Rain/Damp/Cloudy/Cold/Depressing. Sun was out most of the day yesterday and I was so bummed it clouded up right at dusk. I was hoping to maybe see the Northern Lights that the media was hyping since we live in the northern midwest and quite a way from the city. Was anyone able to see them? I've always wanted to travel north to see them.

Indeed IAG! You are having a blast compared to a couple weeks ago. Thank God.

I haven't taken Lunesta in a long time. I used to like it. It didn't make me tired, it stopped the racing thoughts so I was able to focus on relaxing myself. I was always scared to take sleeping meds, due to the blacking out effect they had. I had a fear I'd get in my car naked and drive to the store or something similar.

As stupid as that sounds, I was really scared of it.

Being in a body cast had to be hell. How long were you in the cast?

That's good that you got your glider to keep you occupied. Please be careful though. My uncle owns an aviation insurance business. He and his wife go up in his glider sometimes as well. I can't imagine what that's like. When the line is let go or released. (I'm not sure how that's done).

Ps- I've attempted to leave the house almost naked, my husband stopped me, he said he'd ask, "Sher, where are you going?" , with an attitude, like he was the crazy one, I answered, "To the bathroom. Where else?!". Omg.

Ps- I've attempted to leave the house almost naked, my husband stopped me, he said he'd ask, "Sher, where are you going?" , with an attitude, like he was the crazy one, I answered, "To the bathroom. Where else?!". Omg.

Ha! Clothes are over-rated anyway. I had stuff like that happen when I was on Ambien. Think the doctor had me taking too much--I used to get up and put odd things int he refrigerator...Remember suddenly being aware I was driving on an interstate and had no idea where I was (before Smartphones/GPS). Next exit showed I was halfway to Chicago. That was the last time I took it. I don't get the "missing time" effect with Lunesta but it does have a heavier hangover effect if I don't get 7 or 8 hours on it.

Day 29. Over 4 weeks clean at this point. Nothing new to report really--sleep is still fucked up but no surprise there. Think I averaged about 2 hours the past 2 nights. Figure I've got at least another month before it starts to improve based on my last WD. Trying not to use the sleep meds at this point to see if normal sleep patterns will start to kick in, but they are tempting when you are up wondering the house all night. Aside from feeling drained/spacey from the insomnia, physically I feel pretty good and have managed to stay active/exercise each day. Still having some aches in my knees/lower legs and they feel heavy and tired sometimes. Sneezing comes and goes, but seems to be diminishing and is only 3 or 4 at a time. I do have a major headache today which is probably sleep related. Not noticing the tremors in my hands as much which is good. Lower back/other joints still hurt, but I can't blame that on the WD.

This time next week I will be sitting on a beach which I am looking forward to. It has just been a shitty Spring here so far--no other way to describe it.

Wow! Over a month down. Well done IAG. Very well done.

Where are you going? I'm going to Florida next month. Probably staying 3wks. My mother-in-law is having knee surgery. She needs us (let's be honest, me) to help. Im dreading how hot it's going to be. She keeps the house at like 68-70? - her circulation isn't good, she's always cold.

I'm looking forward to seeing her though. And the change of atmosphere will cut drugs out. Glad about that.

Sadly, she has to put her dog down today. It's organs are shutting down. When we're there, we'll help her find another dog. If she doesn't have an animal to care for , she'll barely leave the house or do much physical activity. So, that's very important. My father-in-law passed away over a year ago, she's by herself. She's an animal lover. Hopefully, we'll find her a dog she loves.

So happy for you. This is such an ass kicker. You say another month? Cry! haha. Thanks for all of the help you have given me on here. Still struggling myself. We'll get through this. I hope and pray my sleep and old self returns. So frustrating. I'm still having withdrawal symptoms. I guess it just really takes a long time to get better. Rome wasn't built in a day. (Love Rome btw).

hahahaaaaa!!!!! 10 years, I love all of your crazy stories. I wish we could meet up for lunch so I could hear about your life. You are an amazing person and such a wonderful support to everyone. You seem to have been through it all and so get it!!!

Gollum, you must be doing better because, no posts. At least I hope that is the case. I'm so glad that when I was in the absolute throws of this miserable thing, you were there for me, so thank you. I got 7.5 hours of sleep last night. I feel like having a party for myself today. hahah. Hope you have the best day.

@8thday: So glad you are doing better and sleep patterns are returning. Things will only continue to improve and the WD symptoms will begin lessening at a faster rate. It is still a slow process--you will have good days and bad days, but you will start to notice the good ones are outnumbering the bad ones...and soon the good days will just become normal days.

I have not been posting as much since there's not much new to report--things are getting better I find myself not focusing so much on how I feel or what day of recovery it is, which is a good sign I think. Also, we are leaving for vacation tomorrow so I've been trying to prepare for that so I can "go off the grid" as much as possible. I doubt I will be posting much in the next week but will check in when I get back.

You have done great and should be very proud of yourself. PST withdrawal is an ass-kicker and what you have accomplished by going cold turkey is incredible. You have shown a lot of strength and focus which will help motivate others searching for answers on the forum--keep pushing forward.

Gollum, thinking of you today. I really hope you are soaking up some sunshine and enjoying yourself!!! You deserve it! Thank you for all of your encouragement and advice. It is day 26 and I am hanging in there. The insomnia is still killing me. Same with the hot flashes, exhaustion, anxiety and depression, but I got up (was awake anyway) and went to the gym with my daughter at 6, hiked with my son, plus a million other things and finally cannot move. Exhaustion has set in and I was thinking of you on a sandy beach enjoying the sunshine and sea. I hope you come back with sleep patterns restored and give me some hope for next week. XO

Where are you? I hope you survived your fantastic vacation. I need an update since you are 10 days ahead of me. This is killing me. I didn't sleep last night at all! misery!!!!