• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

If God knows everything, how can there be free will?

If there is anyone looking for a pastor who teaches love and grace, pastor Joseph Prince is excellent. He has a free app. I like to look at the devotionals every day. This devotional is from today. I just wanted to share it in case anyone is interested in learning from one of the pastors who teaches the right way.

He has a new book coming out called "Anchored", can't wait to get it:

https://anchored.josephprince.com/

https://www.josephprince.com/meditate-devo/jesus-peace-sets-you-up-for-success

Jesus' Peace Sets You Up for Success

"Jesus gives you His shalom to set you up for success in life. You cannot be a success in your marriage, family and career when you are crippled and paralyzed with fear. Today, as you are reading this, I believe with all my heart that Jesus has already begun a work in your heart to liberate you from all your fears, whatever they may be. They may be the fear of failure, the fear of success, the fear of people's opinions of you or even the fear that God is not with you.

All the fears that you are experiencing in your life today began with an untruth, a lie that you have somehow believed. Perhaps you have believed that God is angry and displeased with you, and that His presence is far from you. That's why the Bible says, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

This scripture tells us that when you begin to have a revelation that God loves you perfectly (not because of what you have accomplished, but because of what Jesus has accomplished for you), that revelation of the unmerited favor of Jesus will cast out every fear, every lie, every anxiety, every doubt and every worry that God is against you. The more you have a revelation of Jesus and how He has made you perfect, the more you will free yourself to receive His complete shalom and succeed in life!

My friend, know that as a believer in Jesus Christ, you have absolute peace with God. The new covenant of grace is also known as the covenant of peace. Today, you stand upon the righteousness of Jesus and not your own. Today, because of Jesus, God says this to you: "I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke [condemn] you. For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but My kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall My covenant of peace be removed" (Isaiah 54:9?10).

God is on your side. Jesus' shalom is on your side to make you a success in life. All of heaven's resources are on your side. Even if you are caught in the midst of a storm right now, just think of the picture of the eagle chicks sleeping soundly in spite of the storm, nestled under the wings of their mother, their protector and provider. And may the shalom of God, which surpasses all understanding, guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7). Go in this peace, my friend, and rest upon His shalom!"

Language and style has evolved but IMO human thought which is connected to our emotions has changed very little if any over time.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Hormones influence thoughts and emotions, but so do a lot of other things. Society creates the framework for how we think, more or less. So - as society evolves - our thought patterns change accordingly... But, I think you're more saying if you took society out of the picture that our brains would be anatomically identical to humans in early primitive societies and people would be the same as "cavemen". I don't think that's true, either.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Hormones influence thoughts and emotions, but so do a lot of other things. Society creates the framework for how we think, more or less. So - as society evolves - our thought patterns change accordingly... But, I think you're more saying if you took society out of the picture that our brains would be anatomically identical to humans in early primitive societies and people would be the same as "cavemen". I don't think that's true, either.

Agreed. I think the human brain has continued to evolve since "cave men" days and there have been hardware improvements, although the vast majority of our change has been (and will continue to be) through culture. I think that generations upon generations of different parts of the brain being more survival-advantageous will have naturally led to those parts of the brain being more active/primed for use/evolved. Though as humans we evolve pretty slowly since our generations are so long.

One of the most interesting things about humans is that we evolve primarily through culture. Other animals also evolve through culture (for example, the black bears in my area have successfully taught each other through generations to figure out bear bags for campers (find the rope, cut it), so we had to develop "bear canisters" now and bear bags are not allowed anymore. Also crows are able to communicate the faces of specific human aggressors across populations and generations without actually showing the face to other crows).

Agreed. I think the human brain has continued to evolve since "cave men" days and there have been hardware improvements, although the vast majority of our change has been (and will continue to be) through culture. I think that generations upon generations of different parts of the brain being more survival-advantageous will have naturally led to those parts of the brain being more active/primed for use/evolved. Though as humans we evolve pretty slowly since our generations are so long.

One of the most interesting things about humans is that we evolve primarily through culture. Other animals also evolve through culture (for example, the black bears in my area have successfully taught each other through generations to figure out bear bags for campers (find the rope, cut it), so we had to develop "bear canisters" now and bear bags are not allowed anymore. Also crows are able to communicate the faces of specific human aggressors across populations and generations without actually showing the face to other crows).
Yeah. I've tried to study the language of crows when I was pretty whacked out, and even though I was pretty out of it, I came to the conclusion that they must have a LOT of words in their vocabulary.

Also, someone once told me that crows have over 300 different dialects. Not sure if that's true.

Well the question of what we think about has changed over time... But the precise mechanism of thinking itself...probably has changed very little..