• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Nostalgia S&G Video Game Nostalgia Thread

I got this game for my 8th birthday, along with a gameboy color (the purple translucent one, still have both to this day). I didn't want to go to my own birthday party at Putt-Putt because I wanted to play my new gameboy instead lol.

The gameboy color was the only console my parents would let me have until the age of 12 when they got me a PS2. They were convinced it would be horrible for me. They weren't wrong, I'm so addicted to gaming. It took me years of addiction to other things to get my need for gaming under control. And hey! I'm wanting to go play SWTOR right now but instead I'm talking to y'all! Success!

I got this game for my 8th birthday, along with a gameboy color (the purple translucent one, still have both to this day). I didn't want to go to my own birthday party at Putt-Putt because I wanted to play my new gameboy instead lol.

The gameboy color was the only console my parents would let me have until the age of 12 when they got me a PS2. They were convinced it would be horrible for me. They weren't wrong, I'm so addicted to gaming. It took me years of addiction to other things to get my need for gaming under control. And hey! I'm wanting to go play SWTOR right now but instead I'm talking to y'all! Success!

i personally think gold/silver was Pokemon at its best. Those games were damn near perfect. Expanded the Pokedex from RBY without getting ridiculous. Updated grafixx but still had that classic feel to it. New features that were fun and actually improved the experience. I had the same translucent purple gameboy as you! And I played Gold first too because most of my friends were getting Silver (Lugia looked cooler I guess) and I wanted to trade with them later on.

still on the Pokemon theme, and also touching on CFCs puzzle game comment...

Hey CG, if you are/were addicted to gaming, could you share some more of your favourites in here? ;)

Bubble & Bobble (1987)

Two games that sucked my soul out in the mid-2000s lol:

Dynasty Warriors 4. Best of the series by far. I've got every single character unlocked (though it took me well in my 20s to figure out how to get the last three lol). My father didn't want me to get this game, "The music is too raunchy," Hahahaha. One of my best friends had it though, so eventually he cracked because I would just go to his place to play every Sunday. Zhou Tai (which the person in the video happened to play as) was my fave, I even unlocked his level 10 weapon which probably took me more days of my life than it was worth.

One of the rare cases of the Chinese making an absolutely enthralling video game!

Runescape was my other big addiction in the early years (classic, of course). I've always been feminine in playing MMOs in that I care more what my character looks like than achieving high stats. I had a full set of Guthix armor and a mime mask, dragon dagger p++ and the Guthix book, when I quit. I think I was level 75 combat by the time I stopped playing. Paid for membership for a few years too. I remember before the Great Exchange, you had to go to Varrock and just type out what you were selling, hope to get into World 1, and hope someone would see you and need what you had. There were forums that kept tabs on the going prices of high value commodities, so you could ensure you were getting a fair trade. Ohhhh, such simpler times...

Oh man, I found 2 hours of RSC music on youtube, and it just made me start crying... Why can't we just be children forever? This was well before my addiction to pussy, my addiction to drugs, my failure for so many years after college to procure worthwhile employment... Only now are things looking up, but while the future is bright, I'm scared to step into it.

Now I'm addicted to SWTOR, because Star Wars is the fantasy I need to believe right now to keep my sanity as I turn away from drugs and a more relaxed lifestyle, and towards responsibility and the true crushing loneliness of adulthood...

Last edited:
I feel like runescape comes up in every thread, but it was a huge part of my childhood as well. I stopped playing not long after RS2 came out. I look at what it is now and just laugh.

^I never played RS2 either, I quit in 2006 or 2007 if I recall correctly. I mean really, the game was incredibly boring, and even more centered on grinding than most other MMOs (by contrast I've done little grinding in SWTOR and play it for the story content/gameplay). But it was a young time in my life where I wasn't even thinking about what college I would attend let alone how I would find work, and there was always something so whimsical about RSC.

So RS1 was around until 06 or 07? They just stopped updating it and shit right? I started playing in 6th grade or 7th maybe...I was there really early on, I think there was 2 servers. Runescape and halo was my life for like two years until I went to high school.

I don't understand any of the acronyms you're using, but those games look pretty cool :D

Chuckie Egg (BBC Micro 1983) - I was pretty good at this one

The acronyms simply refer to iterations of Runescape, RSC meaning Runescape Classic, and RS2 meaning the second major overhaul they did back in 2007. They're now on RS3 apparently, but I grew tired of such a grindy game well before I reached high school.

They still had RSC servers available all the way up to early this year. That video I linked was gameplay from the last hour the RSC servers were online.

In high school I bought a Xbox 360 with my savings. I remember 2008 the most fondly. Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Halo 3, Bioshock. It was literally the best year for gaming in the history of gaming. It has only gone downhill since then. Technology has gotten better but somehow the depth of newer games doesn't usually line up with those games from 2008. It was the peak of the average between graphics and expanded depth. Take Skyrim for example; significantly better looking than Oblivion, but significantly smaller world and significantly less depth to the gameplay, and that was only three years after 2008.

I still go back and play Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. when I'm wanting some good time wasting. I'm sure there's some good stuff coming out these days, but it feels like there's just less of it.

I recall when COD 4 came out. It seemed so innovative and fresh. And then they re-released it every year again for 10 years straight and don't seem to have any interest in ever doing anything different again.

Last edited:
Ok gotcha, thanks CG :)

Back in the mid-90s I used to play Goldeneye on the N64 a lot with friends after school. I was pretty rubbish at it tbh, but it was atmospheric and great multiplayer fun:

What I've always referred to as RS2 was the first major "update" of the game where they overhauled the graphics, added a bunch of features, quests etc. What they refer to now as Classic is the real Runescape, the original. I did a little research, the original Runescape opened to the public early 2001. I started later that same year when I would have been in 7th grade. It was a fairly small tight knit community back then.

about a year later (2002) they started "members" Runescape, where you payed $5 a month and got access to new quests, areas, skills, etc. but the graphics were still the same for a while. This is when they added herblaw, fletching, etc. but this is also when the game really started to explode in popularity. There was a large influx of players, and they started paying less and less attention to "freeplay" Runescape. The result of that was massive cheating that basically ruined the game. They purged thousands of accounts and after that it was clear things were moving permanently away from the format so many of us loved.

When they did the big RS2 update...it would have been really late 02 or early 03...There was a very real feeling that Jagex had zero interest in those of us who wanted to play the old RS. You either moved on to the new game or stuck around on the old glitchy servers that was still full of cheaters and scammers...no updates from Jagex, no patches, no new quests.

At some point, Jagex gave everyone an ultimatum. Move your account to the new system or be locked out of it forever. I don't remember the details, but basically if you wanted to keep all your shit and your XP, you had to move. They gave us a date and after that your character would be stuck. If you made the move after that you would basically have to start over.

Luckily around that time I was getting into more and more mischief IRL, so, it was probably time to go anyway.

^Oh I must have been confused. Jagex themselves and many people I knew who still played irl called RS2 RSC then. Or maybe Jagex called it RS 2006? I can't recall.

I remember getting my account hacked (as a kid I was god awful at passwords lol) and losing everything and figuratively crying my eyes out.

CFC, I loved Goldeneye, and Smash Bros on the N64. My parents wouldn't let me get one of those either in the 90s so I always had to visit friends or cousins to play. The original cartridges for the best N64 games are skyrocketing these last few years though, it's insane. I bought an N64 finally back in 2013 for only 25 bucks with a decent controller. I could easily flip it for 125 bucks now. I'll probably just hold onto it though. I'm big into collecting old school consoles. I also bought a Sega Game Gear (it's mint, that has definitely accrued value) and A sega Genesis. Wana get a Saturn and a Dreamcast next.

I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.... but we played the fuck out of SSB and Mario Kart on 64. Everyday after school.

I always hated Mario Kart. I absolutely blow at it lol.

Put a driving simulator game like Gran Turismo 4 in front of me, I'll find the perfect line for every corner and win every race. Put me in front of Mario Kart, I'll lose every single time without fail. Something doesn't translate heheh.

I'll blame my loses on turbo lag. My shell wouldn't spool it's not my fault!

Battle Arena Toshinden 3
toshinden3-screen6.jpg

Had been thinking about this game a lot lately, then finally found a youtube video with the name of it. Upon visiting my brother recently I showed him a video and asked him, "Do you remember this game?"

He said he had been thinking about it a lot lately too. Far out.

Parasol Stars (1992 Amiga). I loved the music, and the Amiga was great at bass sounds.

Had been thinking about this game a lot lately, then finally found a youtube video with the name of it. Upon visiting my brother recently I showed him a video and asked him, "Do you remember this game?"

He said he had been thinking about it a lot lately too. Far out.

Funny how those quirky synchronicities happen, seemingly all too frequently :)