• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery A new me.

Hey guys. My name is Pria and I?m kinda new to BL. Sadly I only utilized this website for information to aid in my drug use prior to getting clean this week. I?ve been an opiate addict since I was 17 and I?m 25 now. Switched over to heroin from oxys about 8 months ago and it?s taken a serious toll on me and my life and I?m exhausted and ready for help. Happened to stumble across this forum and before I knew it I had ready every entry and know I feel like I know you Kate. My story is very similar and I?ve just recently started suboxone treatment at an outpatient center in order to try and stay clean this time while also working as a waitress and finishing my last 6 months of nursing school. Spoke to my dad tonight and came clean about my relapse last year and how I?m back in treatment. This is my first time trying suboxone and I?m scared but hopeful. My dad is a great man for sticking by me while I?ve struggled with opiates for the past 7 years. He made me a deal that he?d support me if I agreed to give up drinking and cigarettes along with the drugs and I happily agreed. Wish me luck and I?d love to hear feedback from anyone who?s willing to share. Thanks for listening xo

Hey what's up welcome to Bluelight! My name is Drew. I've been on methadone for 3 yrs this coming February. Methadone has absolutely without a doubt saved my life. I would probably be strung out really bad on BT heroin. And owe lots and lots of money... Or be in jail or dead... Fuck who knows.

Promising your dad you would give up alcohol and cigarettes is awesome but don't do too much at once you might need the cigarettes lol. Using methadone or Suboxone makes this a walk in the park compared to cold turkey. If you're not feeling normal right now... You'll feel normal very soon.

I think it's awesome that you got on maintenance bupe! You can do this. If you're ever feeling weak and need to talk or anything... feel free to PM me! Good luck and God bless you! Just remember... YOU ARE AMAZING AND YOU DESERVE THIS!!! :)

Last edited:
Hey Pria! Welcome to BL! Thanks for reading...It's funny to me that someone out there actually gives a shit about my silly lil life, but I get it (I read pages and pages on end of other's posts too and have for years even before posting here!).

I'm with Drew on this one, take it slow. Drinking is/was probably my second biggest vice behind opiates and would be a worse one if it weren't for the horrible hangovers I get that keep me from getting too deep into a bender. I also smoked for 17 years (and I'm not even that old yet!)...however, I'm still drinking (some) and just quitting smoking now that I'm over 6 months off heroin. I think it's best to focus on one thing at a time. Sobriety is a huge life change and it can be a bit of a shock to the system to do too much at once. I DO, however, think maybe two could be done (namely the opiates and drinking) at once. The biggest fear of mine was that after I quit opiates I would use alcohol to substitute my need to drown out emotions, so I've def been watching myself when I do choose to imbibe. Fortunately, I've been ok (like I said previously, the hangovers prevent me from wanting to drink very much), but it's still something I keep an eye on. Becoming an alcoholic is a LOT worse for the body than being an opiate addict, actually. Alcohol is one of the worst things for your body. But I do think you should try to hold off on the cigs for awhile. They're no good for you either, but it can be done a few months down the road when you feel a lot better about your sobriety. Good luck! Keep updating here or make your own thread so we can all see how you're doing Pria :) And welcome, again!

I couldn't agree more and it makes me happy to read how well you're doing my dear friend.

Have a great day Drew.

Love,
your friend,
Ash.

P.S, you're the best!!

I've been good. All that matters is I'm happy now.

I couldn't agree more and it makes me happy to read how well you're doing my dear friend.

Have a great day Drew.

Love,
your friend,
Ash.

P.S, you're the best!!

Thanks ash!

You're an amazing person!

How are you doing Ash?

Hi sweetheart.

My Christmas was straight up fucked. I made the mistake of having my very judgmental mother stay with me for 2 days at Christmas. I'm recovering now. ; )

Other than that I think I am doing well, How about you?

Thank you for asking about me.
I know I've told you before but you are such a special person, you are kind and thoughtful and just honestly one of the best people I have had the privilege to know.

I will always have your back.

You are the best. How have you been? What did you do over the holidays?

Much love,
your friend always,
Ash

Thanks ash!

You're an amazing person!

How are you doing Ash?

Hello Kate,

Thinking of you and I'm hoping you're doing well, you deserve the very best life has to offer.

Update me when you have time please.

Much love,
your friend,
Ash.

Hey girl, I'm literally living for an update about now... What's going on?? How are you?? No matter what, please come back and update us!! You are still a HUGE inspiration to so many, more than you know, no matter what the outcome is.

Hey guys! Swinging on through to say HELLO!!

I am well! I finally got my home office set up, so my updates may be more frequent now. I was using my laptop for all entertainment purposes (hdmi cable to tv for netflix, streaming cable, etc) and still not working in front of a computer all day, so I never had a good chunk of time with my laptop (when it wasn't being used for entertainment in my house), but now I have something more permanent set up for all of that and my laptop is my own again...HOORAY!

How's everyone??? I am well. Downtown was NUTS for the Superbowl!! I was working like a madwoman for a week + seeing as my bar is like RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the hotels all the players were staying at (and 5 min from the stadium). Patriots fans overtook Atlanta...ugh (no offense if any of you are Pats fans...but seriously UGH!) and it was a literal shit show. Bar fights, women getting drug out in headlocks, we had it all. I got to meet Peyton Manning though (Vols fan right here!) so that was neat! I also made a whole shit ton of money.

I've been bartending a lot, but I am making bank. WAY more money than my last job (a "real" job). I'm only working 40 hours a week tops, but it's much harder work physically, so I feel it. When I get home, I like to veg and watch tv (or play video games, something I'm doing more of..). I haven't been using my gym membership like I would like to, lately, due to so much physical labor at work, but I'm hoping to get back into that. I enjoy the people I work with a lot. It's a male dominated bar (strange, its usually the opposite) and there's a lot of shit talking and offensive jokes, but that's kinda my style so I've fit in perfectly. Management adores me as well since I'm a hardworking bitch ;)

I'm still NOT SMOKING, still on the juul. I found a nice little vape shop near my house that has their own juul flavors I really like. Oh, guess I should add that I'm still not using. Still on methadone, 80mg, and still doing well as far as that goes. Haven't touched another opiate since end of July/beginning of August (can't remember exact date bc I didn't think it would really be my last time lol). I'm still smoking a lot of weed. A girl I work with sells edible gummies and she likes me a lot and often gives them to me for free when ewe work together, which is fun. I work better high at the bar, strangely enough. I find it makes me a lot more relaxed (something I need...I get too high strung at times which makes me make mistakes) and a better employee in general. Luckily my bar is incredibly cool with weed...drinking on the clock is a much bigger offense (which I don't do!) and all the management/owners smoke and/or are relaxed about their employees partaking while at work.

My counselor at the clinic just gave me a 10/10 for my yearly evaluation. I occasionally test positive for marijuana, so I haven't gotten any take homes (besides sun) yet, but I'm only one more "clean" test away from getting my first one (which they said will prob become 3 quickly since I have such a good re pore there) here soon, so fingers crossed I can "pass" this next one (my clinic allows a certain amount of THC in tests, and if you get two clean tests in a row you get takehomes...I test clean sometimes even when I've smoked, just really depends on how much water I've been drinking, it's dumb). I also just got a physical from the clinic (!!! actual healthcare is included?!?!), the first I've had since I was, like, 18, and found out that I am HEALTHY other than slightly high blood pressure that the Dr. attributes to my ridiculous coffee habit and former smoking habit. Hearing that was such a relief, I had high biluribim (sp?) levels when I started at the clinic, which can signal liver issues, and I had a slightly high white blood cell count so I was a bit worried. All of that seems to have fixed itself though...the dr. said a lot of it was prob due to my drug use. I'm so glad I'm off that stuff now!

Oh! And the bf and I are absolutely perfect these days! We've both been working a lot, so we treasure our time together, but my bartending job still lets me have Fri nights, all day sat, and sometimes all day sun (but always sun morning) off as well. Idk how I was lucky enough to find a restaurant job that lets me have weekends off for time with a bf, but I found it! We went hiking this past weekend with a big group of my friends and had such a good time. We were talking just last week about our relationship and stuff, and he said he thinks that he and I are in the best place we've ever been in throughout this entire relationship we've had together..I couldn't agree more either <3 We're so happy. I'm so glad I found methadone, it's really changed my life and made everything fall back into place.

Sorry I haven't updated much. Work kicks my ass, and I cherish the bit of time I have off..but, like I said, I'll have my laptop free (I hate typing on my phone...fat fingers, lol) now so I should be around more often. You guys are awesome and I hope you forgive me for my disappearing acts lately. I'm still doing so good, promise <3

Hey guys. Just stopping in...

Doing well still! Life is good and I'm still dope free and doing really well on methadone. My relationship is probably the best its ever been these days, and I can say I am genuinely happy without heroin in my life. I worry about getting off methadone...it helps me sooo much but I definitely do not want to be on it for life. Nothing against those who need to use it indefinitely, I just know that I can and will eventually get to a place where I don't need it. I don't deal with chronic pain or major trauma so I really have no excuse for needing to be on it forever, but I'm def still gonna take my time.

I really wanna know how all my usual repliers are doing...Dale (SoCal)? Hikfromstik? Ash (EP1)? A (aihfl) KraziKat, s&em, beenbetter and all of you other wonderful folks have made this process so much better...what's going on??

Hi LHL, I'm doing a lot better. I went on a bender (mostly alcohol) at the beginning of the month and backed into a neighbor's car on my way to get more booze. He insisted that I go back to treatment, so I checked myself into a detox for a week. The detox itself sucked, but I am back into a healthy routine and my sleep patterns are returning to normal. I don't need to take a shit ton of sedatives to be able to fall asleep. I'm in a dual diagnosis intensive outpatient, which is refreshing since it's not straight substance abuse. I'm in there with cutters, people with sexual issues, gamblers, impulse buyers, you name it, but we're all there because of the same fundamental mental health issues. What use is treating the addiction if you don't treat the symptoms? That's why I think this IOP is much more productive than a traditional rehab. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I intended to go to the IOP run by the place I detoxed at, but they booted me because "I'm on too many scheduled medications." Whatever. I got into an argument with a guy at AA who works in the treatment industry telling me I needed to move into a sober living house but I told him that's not going to work for a number of reasons: 1. the scheduled meds - I'm not going to quit Adderall because it's dramatically improved my performance at work, where a combination of speed and accuracy is paramount; I'm not going to quit the Ativan because when I'm having a full-on meltdown, benzos are the only thing that come anywhere close to being as effective as alcohol, and I'm not going to quit the Ambien because all the other sedatives I've been prescribed quit working long ago and I'm not going to not sleep 2. I have a dog and I don't want to give up his company (I suppose my ex could look after him but she's stolen two dogs from me in the past) and 3. I own my home and would have to rent it out to keep it from becoming a money pit and put all my shit in storage somewhere. Yeah, I'll admit it's rough living by myself sometimes, but between work, meetings (I don't let the dickheads bother me anymore), meditation at the Buddhist Center, hanging out with sober friends and taking care of the dog, I have structure back in my life.

I smoked what I hope is my last cigarette earlier this week. I was standing outside a bar smoking where my friends and I play trivia on Wednesdays and a girl comes by who's promoting Blu vapes so I bought one for a dollar. I have to say, it's wholly unsatisfying compared to a regular cigarette, though I don't miss my hands smelling like tar all the time. I also watched a YouTube video on how to refill Blu pods yourself, so I've been refilling them with left over e liquid I have from my old vape. If you got a new pod every time you ran out of e liquid, it would be more expensive than smoking, since I bought cartons at Costco, which came out to about $3/pack.

My roommate at the detox was coming of 75mg of methadone. He had been on maintenance for over a decade and was having a rough go of it but he said it was finally time to let it go and was determined to see it through. But glad to hear you are well - you sound it.

God a feel sorry for your detox roommate. I tried jumping at 50mg and flat out couldn't handle it.

Don't they make different strength juice for e cigs? Maybe stronger would be more satisfying. Really cool you quit smoking though probably saved your life.

Just got approved for 6 take homes a week!!! Like a boss son! What's good Ash... AIHFL and everybody else? Hope all is well. Getting ready to pm you Ash.

Wow that's HUGE Drew!! You are the best!!! Hit my pm up anytime, I love hearing from you.

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Nice to hear from you, I think of you often and I hope you are happy, out living your awesome life.

I'm hanging in there. I don't hear from a lot of the regs anymore, I pray everyone is doing well.

Much love lady, so proud of you.
your friend,
Ash.

Hey guys. Just stopping in...

Doing well still! Life is good and I'm still dope free and doing really well on methadone. My relationship is probably the best its ever been these days, and I can say I am genuinely happy without heroin in my life. I worry about getting off methadone...it helps me sooo much but I definitely do not want to be on it for life. Nothing against those who need to use it indefinitely, I just know that I can and will eventually get to a place where I don't need it. I don't deal with chronic pain or major trauma so I really have no excuse for needing to be on it forever, but I'm def still gonna take my time.

I really wanna know how all my usual repliers are doing...Dale (SoCal)? Hikfromstik? Ash (EP1)? A (aihfl) KraziKat, s&em, beenbetter and all of you other wonderful folks have made this process so much better...what's going on??

Shit I wanted to say more so I will. ; )

Yes, you take your time, there is no reason to try to come off anytime soon if you're stable and happy that's what matters. When it's time to stop you'll know.

Glad you're doing well all around, I want the best for you so I am happy to read that.

Much love, here if you need anything.
Ash. xo

Wow that's HUGE Drew!! You are the best!!! Hit my pm up anytime, I love hearing from you.

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Thank you Ash! Methadone was a scary concept for me at first but after watching many good people who just have a drug problem get their lives together. There are 2 major accomplishments in this world that I've always found fascinating... 1.) People who give the devil a huge black eye by getting clean and sober from drugs and or alcohol. 2.) People who lose massive amounts of weight. I love watching people who take back their lives from major adversities and addictions. Anyway, thank you for everything positive that you have said to everyone including me. BL would not be the same without you! Enjoy your day!

Thanks honey,

I must tell you that your positivity and just your general outlook on life is a gift you have. I'm not sure if you know that. I'm certain you affect people out in the real world the way you do here. I've said from the beginning of my time here that the world needs more kindness and non judgemental people. You have those qualities in spades.

Much love to you my dear friend,
keep being the awesome man that you are.

Love always,
Ash.

Thank you Ash! Methadone was a scary concept for me at first but after watching many good people who just have a drug problem get their lives together. There are 2 major accomplishments in this world that I've always found fascinating... 1.) People who give the devil a huge black eye by getting clean and sober from drugs and or alcohol. 2.) People who lose massive amounts of weight. I love watching people who take back their lives from major adversities and addictions. Anyway, thank you for everything positive that you have said to everyone including me. BL would not be the same without you! Enjoy your day!

Just checking in to tell all that I'm still doing well and love all of you.

I'm working lots and not in an office so I have very limited online time...can barely keep up with my fb. lol

I'll try to write more tomorrow morning when I have a bit more time. Things are well! still clean on 80 mg of methadone and rocking it. Thought i'd check in in case anyone was worried. Much love BL