Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

A few LSD questions

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
1) what psychiatric drugs interfere with LSD and how long must one abstain from them in order to successfully trip? I am on Prozac, Depakote, Neurontin and Zyprexa and I know that some of these will block LSD.

2) Are there any ways to potentiate LSD?

Thank you.

It will take at least two weeks off with the Prozac being the one that will kill the trip, but it is really not safe to just stop your meds like that as with those meds you can't just start back up, but need to rebalance what you allowed to become unbalanced... I think you should talk to whoever is prescribing these meds even though they can legally give you any advice on the LSD they can help you cease the medication safely if you want to stop it.

Why do you want to try LSD if you don't mind me asking?

I have done LSD many times in the past with no issues. I agree it is not a good idea to stop psychiatric meds for that period of time. However I find myself in a situation where I can obtain it easily and I would enjoy the mind opening effects again if possible. If I cease taking the meds for 1-2 days prior which I can handle and then increase the dose significantly would it have any effect? I am just wondering because LSD has been psychologically beneficial to me and without the negative side effects of many other drugs I have tried. I am attempting harm reduction here by redirecting my drug use in a way that will impact me physically better than what I have been using (which is largely crack, which is terrible for my health as I am well aware.)

It will take at least two weeks off with the Prozac being the one that will kill the trip

Prozac is an SSRI. SSRI's tend to weaken the effects of LSD somewhat, but not anywhere near as much as an antipsychotic like Zyprexa.

Zyprexa is an inverse agonist at the 5HT2A receptor, i.e. the exact opposite of LSD and other psychedelics, which are 5HT2A agonists.

ok, so I should avoid the Zyprexa for a few days prior? 2-3 days off it won't hurt me. I've missed as much as a week before when I lost some pills and had to wait for a refill. It's not ideal, but doable.

To break it down for you: it would be safest to not use any drugs at all. You have been prescribed a lot of meds for a good reason I suppose. If you still decide to take LSD, then some of these meds will reduce it's effects to varying degrees. Stopping an antipsychotic doesn't sound like a safe plan, even temporarily. Prozac needs to be gradually tapered down over a long period of time. And slowly built up again afterward. Then there's the mental health risks of tripping itself, especially for someone who needs all these meds. We cannot decide for you wether to take LSD or not, but if you come asking here for harm reduction advice, the only sound advice we can give is that there's an increased risk in your situation. It would be wise to wait until you're mentally stable without the need for these meds. Maybe that's not possible in your situation. In that case it would be safest to not use any drugs at all.

If you have a real mental or emotional problem, which is the case, if you use a bouquet of prescribed medications for mental and emotional issues. I cannot see the benefit of going off the program to challenge your mental and emotional system with psychedelics which definitely do challenge your mental and emotional systems.

Accepting medication means that you have agreed that you need help - you do not need additional mental or emotional challenges, and should steer clear of this interest until after you are 1. officially off these meds, and 2. told that you have recovered mentally and emotionally from whatever it was that sent you for help.

If you actually went for help because you were suffering due to psychedelic exposure, then I think the whole thing is off the table for the foreseeable future.