European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Dihydrocodeine - Opinons?

GarageFlower

Bluelighter
I dislocated my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff and have been Rx'd Dihydrocodeine on and off for the past 18 months whilst waiting for surgery.

I do take 80mg of methadone a day for MMT. I rarely use heroin or any other opiates any more, just the 'done.

Been back to the docs today and got 100 DHC 30mg. They tried palming me off with Co-Codamol saying they don't really prescribe DHC any more, even though they have been doing every time I've seen other DR's, but I told them where to shove it (I just told them I'm allergic ;))

I could do with muscle relaxants more than anything but they do NOT like prescribing them in the UK for some reason?! Seem easy enough to get in other countries.

Anyway I digress; What's everyones opinions on Dihydrocodeine? I do find it good for the pain, much better than codeine...When I took 60mg of codeine phosphate with NO opiate tolerance it didn't do anything, I'm sure Im missing the enzyme that changes it to morphine because it just doesnt work for me!

I know the BA of DHC is only 20%...Is it any better plugging it?

Will I be able to take any dose at all whilst on 80mg of methadone and feel ANYTHING?

Peace and Love!

On 80mgs of methadone, not a chance you'll feel DHC, sorry bud. I couldn't feel morphine tablets crushed up, dissolved and plugged and I'm only on 50mg

On 80mgs of methadone, not a chance you'll feel DHC, sorry bud. I couldn't feel morphine tablets crushed up, dissolved and plugged and I'm only on 50mg

Yeah, I thought as much, I was just being optimistic, haha.

I pick up my methadone weekly to take home so I can do with it as I please.

Would it be any good missing a dose of methadone or two then dosing the DHC? Or is the half life of methadone too long and has too high affinity for that to work?

I took 450mg DHC last night along with 300mg pregabalin and 60mg of diazepam. Very itchy had to take a couple loratadine to calm it down. I did feel chilled but I don't know if the DHC added anything or not.

I really wanna start bringing my methadone down now, I'm just a bit anxious because I've been really stable at this dose, it just sucks you can't feel anything else opiates wise.

Yeah, I thought as much, I was just being optimistic, haha.

I pick up my methadone weekly to take home so I can do with it as I please.

Would it be any good missing a dose of methadone or two then dosing the DHC? Or is the half life of methadone too long and has too high affinity for that to work?

I took 450mg DHC last night along with 300mg pregabalin and 60mg of diazepam. Very itchy had to take a couple loratadine to calm it down. I did feel chilled but I don't know if the DHC added anything or not.

I really wanna start bringing my methadone down now, I'm just a bit anxious because I've been really stable at this dose, it just sucks you can't feel anything else opiates wise.

Why do you want to reduce your methadone dose when you're obviously still seeking the opiate buzz? Fucking about with your dose in a vain attempt at getting high on much weaker opiates is counterproductive. It sounds to me that you need to raise your methadone until you stop the cravings. This is the whole point of methadone treatment, and it is VERY effective if used properly.

To be honest with you the methadone has completely stopped my cravings, I don't crave at all any more. I just got these DHC and Im bored and wanted to feel chilled out.

I've been heroin clean for about 6 months now and the thought of it doesn't even excite me any more, I don't go out to seek opiates on any sense, it's just that they were prescribed and I would have liked to feel chilled from them If at all possible. It's not like I'm craving or seeking out any high.

To be honest with you the methadone has completely stopped my cravings, I don't crave at all any more. I just got these DHC and Im bored and wanted to feel chilled out.

I've been heroin clean for about 6 months now and the thought of it doesn't even excite me any more, I don't go out to seek opiates on any sense, it's just that they were prescribed and I would have liked to feel chilled from them If at all possible. It's not like I'm craving or seeking out any high.

Fair enough mate, and quite understandable - hell, we've all been there. But to paraphrase TargetX, you might as well piss in the wind...

Yeah I think you're right haha, I knew this myself I was just tryna think glass half full but I know deep down my tolerance is way too high. Still decent for pain though as this torn rotator cuff is fecking painful!

Maybe they'll give me something stronger after surgery, who knows haha.

I think I'm picking up some valium tomorrow and I think they'll be better for my shoulder pain anyway, shame you've gotta get them illicitly instead of from your GP, ain't it!

A few valium might synergise a little with them as I have a pregabalin also.

Peace and love!!

Never figured out if dihydrocodeine is active on its own or a prodrug like codeine that really needs to metabolize to dihydromorphine to work

Slightly better than codeine for me but not great, nothing like oxy or tramadol. GPs always say "we dont prescribe this much/anymore" with many things then the next patient comes in and gets a bunch of it :)

Haha yeah you're right there. Swines aren't they.

I was on tramadol for a while and I think I prefer DHC over it. None of them do much, if anything, with my tolerance but I know tramadol has some nasty side effects as well.

Are they both around the same potency or is one suppose to be stronger than the other? On the charts I've seen they try paracetamol>codeine>tramadol>DHC>morphine

I occasionally use them to take the edge off a coke come down and find them more recreational than benzos, I don't find them any better than normal codeine though, both around the same for me.

Swines they are!

Dihydrocodeine is 1.5x stronger than codeine but a much lower bioavailability than codeine (20% I think) so its really dose dependent. DHC does more for me but tramadol is incredible like an oxycontin for me if I take over 500mg (dont do this without benzos until youre sure it doesnt give you a seizure and stay in one place incase you have one)

I still dont know if DHC needs the liver to work like codeine or is active on its own like oxycodone. if its active on its own then people should definitely find it better than codeine

IIRC DHC has SOME activity of its own, not what you could call potent, but here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...deine_and_its_Metabolites_to_Opioid_Receptors

Suggests MOR affinity to be in the low double digit micromolar range. (lower the number for the Ki value, the more potent the tested substance, test radioligand-DAMGO (for MOR, since I assume people here aren't looking for delta or kappa binding values for DHC, or nociceptin and certainly not weird shit like zeta [the latter is more of a growth factor receptor IIRC that just happens to get lumped in with canonical opioidergic receptors due to some sequence homology in its genetic code])

As for muscle relaxers, a lot of them are GABAergics (GABAa in the case of the carbamates, or theres the GABAb agonist baclofen, the latter is a real bitch of a mixed bag, some people it works, some it just doesn't, weirdly enough some seem immune to it intraspinally via an implanted pump but respond orally, and vice versa..never wanted anybody anywhere near the inside of my spine personally, but orally...slight 'swimmy' eyes and a little nausea, at a dose I've seen fell a fat cow (two legged variety, not strictly bovine, but give the fucker a set of udders and make it eat grass, and a cow you'd have gotten alright, total bitch) and have her immobilized and barely breathing. Same on me? next to nothing.

You might want to try out inquiring about tizanidine though if its just a doctor's hatred of GABAergics, this stuff is about the most effective myorelaxant I've ever seen. Relative of clonidine, an antihypertensive drug, and of xylazine, something generally used for knockdown of large wild animals (never tried the latter myself, but bugger me the human version is potent enough. Works as an alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptor agonist) nonaddictive physically, and doesn't seem to have any mental issues. Not reinforcing, that is. I use it, after fucking my leg up, post surgical nerve damage left me with some bastard muscle spasm that just doesn't go, otherwise.

Be warned if you do get on it, DON'T rise suddenly, the orthostatic hypotension as a result could easily knock you out cold. Like clonidine, etc. it CAN cause a hypertensive rebound or sympathomimetic crisis, if suddenly ceasing use after a long time, but that isn't a problem with acute use, the problem is it'll knock you the fuck out. Best to be lying down flat whilst on it, to minimize hypotensive effects.

Last edited:
Definitely better like this...

8DcPp5H_d.jpg

;)

That REALLY needs an extraction via freebasing it using aqueous ammonia, partitioning into dichloromethane, dessication over anhydrous magnesium sulfate, filtration, then ether cleavage to dihydromorphine with strong HBr in a pressure vessel. How can that be let NOT be used as a precursor for say, dihydroheroin or, if my results with dipropionylmorphine are anything to go by, the dihydromorphine analog would be really something.

Thats an awful site...so much DHC going to waste...if I had all that I'd not be swallowing it. Mother of god be damned! that is just...damn..:( seeing that go to waste orally is making LC a sad panda.

IIRC DHC has SOME activity of its own, not what you could call potent, but here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...deine_and_its_Metabolites_to_Opioid_Receptors

Suggests MOR affinity to be in the low double digit micromolar range. (lower the number for the Ki value, the more potent the tested substance, test radioligand-DAMGO (for MOR, since I assume people here aren't looking for delta or kappa binding values for DHC, or nociceptin and certainly not weird shit like zeta [the latter is more of a growth factor receptor IIRC that just happens to get lumped in with canonical opioidergic receptors due to some sequence homology in its genetic code])

As for muscle relaxers, a lot of them are GABAergics (GABAa in the case of the carbamates, or theres the GABAb agonist baclofen, the latter is a real bitch of a mixed bag, some people it works, some it just doesn't, weirdly enough some seem immune to it intraspinally via an implanted pump but respond orally, and vice versa..never wanted anybody anywhere near the inside of my spine personally, but orally...slight 'swimmy' eyes and a little nausea, at a dose I've seen fell a fat cow (two legged variety, not strictly bovine, but give the fucker a set of udders and make it eat grass, and a cow you'd have gotten alright, total bitch) and have her immobilized and barely breathing. Same on me? next to nothing.

You might want to try out inquiring about tizanidine though if its just a doctor's hatred of GABAergics, this stuff is about the most effective myorelaxant I've ever seen. Relative of clonidine, an antihypertensive drug, and of xylazine, something generally used for knockdown of large wild animals (never tried the latter myself, but bugger me the human version is potent enough. Works as an alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptor agonist) nonaddictive physically, and doesn't seem to have any mental issues. Not reinforcing, that is. I use it, after fucking my leg up, post surgical nerve damage left me with some bastard muscle spasm that just doesn't go, otherwise.

Be warned if you do get on it, DON'T rise suddenly, the orthostatic hypotension as a result could easily knock you out cold. Like clonidine, etc. it CAN cause a hypertensive rebound or sympathomimetic crisis, if suddenly ceasing use after a long time, but that isn't a problem with acute use, the problem is it'll knock you the fuck out. Best to be lying down flat whilst on it, to minimize hypotensive effects.

Very useful thanks!

Apparently DHC is a LOT easier to demethylate selectively and in good yield than codeine. I'd love a few boxes of those, and to go make up some fuming hydrobromic acid and design a suitable pressure-vessel=D No way I'd just be eating the things. I've had them though before, DHC 30s, 60s and 120 XRs, and they were alright. But acylated dihydromorphines are a whole other (far superior) kettle 'o' fish.

Apparently DHC is a LOT easier to demethylate selectively and in good yield than codeine. I'd love a few boxes of those, and to go make up some fuming hydrobromic acid and design a suitable pressure-vessel=D No way I'd just be eating the things. I've had them though before, DHC 30s, 60s and 120 XRs, and they were alright. But acylated dihydromorphines are a whole other (far superior) kettle 'o' fish.
wikipedia says that about yields too ;)

sadly with my oxycontin tolerance Id go through that dihydro in a couple days. be careful with the vallies because a benzo dependence is hell to kick

Conc. HBr and a pressure vessel sounds a LOT more pleasant to work with than shitty yields and pyridine in the case of codeine (although there are, it seems other ways to do it in the case of codeine with higher yields, although using some nasty-smelling chemicals, a sodium or potassium n-dodecanethiolate/KOtBu system apparently works well on codeine although haven't yet tried it)

Conc. HBr and a pressure vessel sounds a LOT more pleasant to work with than shitty yields and pyridine in the case of codeine (although there are, it seems other ways to do it in the case of codeine with higher yields, although using some nasty-smelling chemicals, a sodium or potassium n-dodecanethiolate/KOtBu system apparently works well on codeine although haven't yet tried it)

Im surprised desomorphine (krokodil) isnt more common in the uk considering the easily available otc codeine haha