• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I actually got high day 18 into vivitrol shot??

Burntoutangel

Greenlighter
I've seen a lot of threads discussing the effectiveness of the vivitrol shot (natrexone) and if/when it's possible to get high on it, and I wanted to share my experience. Last time I had the shot, I felt nothing from IV heroin until around day 30 and then I was getting around 25-50% of the high. I wasn't able to fully experience the rush until about day 45. I got the shot for the second time after a few months, and decided to try using after 18 days. I had very very low expectations based on how effective the shot was last time, but to my shock I felt essentially the full high. There was a good rush and nod, high was 85% there. I am wondering how this happened and why my experience last time was so different. From what I've heard for most people, that is pretty early on in the month to get the high you're looking for. I am wondering if it has something to do with how well it is administered and if the nurse this past time didn't do a great job, or possibly because I smoked crack a few times and took a lot of amphetamines- could that have sped up my metabolism?? Thoughts??

Howdy Angel.

I think expectations are about all the difference could be. You were pissed and frustrated trying to squeeze out a high the first time, the second you only expected a dud, but had a tweaker shock-amplified surprise! OMG A HIGH OMG.

Seriously, expectation is a big part of any drug experience, I'm not making fun of you. If you consider Vivitrol technology was developed for birth control (Depo-Pravera), you'd figure it's hard to screw up the injection. It would be more about the time it takes for the drug to ooze out of its oil cocoon and into your system, which won't be affected by how "fast" your metabolism is. You could smoke meth till shards really do come out your skin, but an oil ball is an oil ball. With drugs inside.

Long-term depot injections have been around for decades and a lot of the engineering has been fine-tuned. If Vivitrol was marketed to parents to stop their kids from using opioids, and they failed routinely, that would be enough class-action suit money to make sure Alkermes got it right the first time. But, it is still possible you somehow got more drug released early than you should have. Very remote, but possible.

I don't think you could use it to your advantage next shot, because I'm sure if something did affect it, it was a fluke. You went past just the right cell phone tower while dialing a specific phone number and the injection site was briefly aligned with the two antennas, the microwave energy was just right to hit the drug-oil and warm it up and kick some out early.

But you get these shots to quit heroin anyway, right? You want the shots to work.

I think expectations are about all the difference could be. You were pissed and frustrated trying to squeeze out a high the first time, the second you only expected a dud, but had a tweaker shock-amplified surprise! OMG A HIGH OMG. .

This^^^^ ??? I agree, probably psychosamatic. The mind is a powerful thing. I can remember being horribly dope sick from heroin- puking, shitting myself, the whole bit- VERY REAL physical symptoms, and as soon as I would get enough money to cop and get in my car to go and pick it up, all the dope sickness would STOP, before I actually got the dope. Just knowing that it was coming was enough to stop my withdrawal. Your mind had you convinced you got high, even though the reality is it's almost impossible that you actually did. "Mind over matter" is a saying that actually has quitea bit of merit to it.

i read that if you drink during the 30 days that the vivitrol shot is supposed to work you will simply not get drunk but don't have to worry about getting sick.

well, i tried drinking 2-24oz stella's and literally puked-out everything in my stomach. (3 weeks after shot was administered)

(this is a sort of 'cool story bro' post but i'd be careful drinking on the shot.)

anyway, to the op - ive been told you can 'brake through' the vivitrol its just dangerous and rather foolish.

You would still get just as drunk and sloppy on Vivitrol. But if you had the alcholism like I did, you would never feel "satisfied" no matter how much you drank, you wouldn't get high. The brain parts for relief/euphoria for alcoholics and junkies seem to be the same or overlap (so naltrexone blocks both).

Not the same as just feeling alright after a few beers in the non-alcoholic, I don't think. Or it's all bogus, that could be.

deemgd said:
as soon as I would get enough money to cop and get in my car to go and pick it up, all the dope sickness would STOP,

Doesn't every body need to take a big shit as soon they hear someone at the party has coke? (I mean literally, not like go to the bathroom to do lines)

Vivitrol doesn't work as well in Philly - so they say

as someone who lived and got addicted in philly, that's fucking hilarious. morbid, but hilarious.

came here to chime in on my experiences with vivitrol. i've been getting it since october 2018, it's march 2019 now, so however many months that is. a while. i've found i'm easily able to get blackout drunk after two weeks. so it doesn't seem too effective for me in that regard. i know most of us are junkies, and don't care about the alcohol aspect as much, but vivitrol did essentially eliminate my cravings for opioids so alcohol is basically all i've tried since i've been on it. i used to struggle with alcohol before i got into heroin so i guess it's kind of natural to gravitate back towards that when i'm struggling in other aspects of life and it's past the two week mark since i've gotten my shot. there was a brief monthlong period where i wasn't able to get the shot because of insurance bullshit, and i had to take the pill version of naltrexone -- 50mg a day, then bumped up to 75mg a day because i was experiencing so many cravings on the pill version. it just did not work like the shot did for me in terms of cravings, even once i bumped up to 75mg a day. i tried to use on my first day of being at 75mg a day, but couldn't feel anything and could barely find a vein, and ended up flushing everything. but as time goes on i'm experiencing more cravings again. i'm 2 and a half weeks past maybe my 6th or 7th shot, and i'm craving now. i've been getting drunk, but i wanna shoot up. but i just don't think it'll work. i'm skeptical to try, or to even waste my money, before maybe day 25. i don't know. i wish it was still working like it was before -- but maybe i'm just going through harder times right now and i just need to get real and get in treatment and stop relying on the vivitrol alone. that's probably what i should do, because i've been clean since september 29th and life has gotten so much better. i don't wanna fuck this up.