Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️

• Total voters
Lol I think we can all, here, someway identify some part of him ahah but s?re, I like the "new" Franck, fun times

Yes!!! I love this show!

They take dysfunctional to a new level and always make me feel better about myself. hehe

Veronica and Kevin had me cracking up in the new season with the domination thing and Svetlana.

Love it. Devoted fan since the first episode. Tried to watch original Shameless, but I don't get the cultural references.

I never saw the original but I read other's reviews that said the same thing you did.

They're running old episodes every Thursday till the new season starts but you can get em On Demand too.

Yeah it's hard. Social commentary, timely cultural references, etc is such a huge part of shameless. So when you try to watch it on a different continent and a decade or more in the future, it's kind of confusing.

i think the US version is much more accessible just because of the time we live in.

Agreed, I'm so familiar with the cast now and having watched them grow up I feel obligated to stick with the show.

The music is great too, this one is contagious:

Yeah...the characters are what drive the show. We come back because we're invested in them.

One of the things the show does so well, as far as plot, is blending realism with the more fantastical elements. The more soap-opera-ish (over the top) parts are there for entertainment purposes, but they drop in these hyper realistic emotional parts that kind of blindside you.

Exactly! Lip's alcoholism was one of the latest substance abuse issue themes, but seems like they delved a little bit deeper than say Frank's drug of the week/ usual train-wreck antics. They do put a twist on some darker subjects like Monica's death turned Meth inheritance or way back with the down's baby (Henry?) that was fostered by Sheila/ Joan Cusack. I kind of liked Mickey's character as well.

I kinda forgot about Henry! So much happens on that show.

I love all the characters, but my favorite is probably Carl or Kev.

Powerful scene:

(and more people VOTE please! :) )

This is the one scene that has stuck with me over the years more than any other on the show. Everything about that scene, from the way it was shot (the color coordination between the sky, city skyline, and even the clothes the characters are wearing is awe inspiring), to the music they chose, to the dialogue they wrote and the the way it was acted, was perfection. Tbh, I wish Shameless had more scenes like this, but I understand that the show has different, typically lighter/more comedic aims in mind, and also that this scene was made all the more powerful by the fact that the show rarely takes itself seriously, lending a jolt of shock and sense of credibility towards the rare moments when it does.

What most impresses me about the show is that after 7-8 seasons, it has continued to evolve the characters in such a manner as to never feel stale. Even the Sopranos felt stale after 6-7 seasons, but because the characters in Shameless continue to grow/change/evolve in such substantial yet unforced and natural fashion, the narrative remains fresh and compelling.

Also, I can't help but notice the parallel between Frank/Phillip and Fyodor/Ivan Karamazov from Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov. Fyodor is the drunken shitbag of a father, while Ivan is the prodigious son with extremely high intelligence who appears destined to climb far above his station and away from his family drama. That is, until Fyodor confides in Ivan that "of all my sons, you are the most like me." It's there we come to the revelation that Fyodor, who prior to this moment had only appeared a mean, short-sighted, despicable and largely amoral drunk, was once a young prodigy himself, with his intelligence now hidden away behind decades of bitterness and alcoholism. And that Ivan, who possesses nearly all of the traits of his young father, both good and bad, is likely headed down the same path. The similarities between the two father-son relationships, and between the two sets of characters themselves, are so strong that the Frank/Phillip dynamic simply has to have been inspired by and directly derived from that of Fyodor/Ivan.

Just a little classical literary analysis I thought I would throw in there.

I love this show. The rehab televisions all had Netflix and we were watching Shameless and one of the Unit Directors came in and hit the ceiling yelling at us and threatening to pull the plug on Netflix in our unit. We were a bunch of alcoholics and addicts. I don't think anyone of us wants to be Frank or Lip Gallagher but if you can't laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at?

Emmy Rossum is leaving Shameless after season 9. So after this season, she'll be gone. I really didn't care that much for her storyline with the apartment and liking that douchebag carpenter. (Her lesbian neighbors are hot though.)
The carpenter was playing hard to get, like he was too good for her. She kept going along with it. Puhlease! I would have been all over her given the chance.

Emmy Rossum is the main reason I watch the show.

Season 9 trailer, premieres this Sunday!

https://youtu.be/Xyus5REdmLI

I honestly don't care if she's there or not. They've not done anything that interesting with her character in a long time. She doesn't want a relationship. She gets into a relationship. It falls apart. She doesn't want to play the maternal role but can't escape it.

Yea she is good looking but her character always got on my nerves tbh. Can't adequately explain why exactly.

And I felt kinda defensive towards her characters emotional reactions towards the heroin addict she almost married. The situation probably hit too close to home for me though...

Love it. Devoted fan since the first episode. Tried to watch original Shameless, but I don't get the cultural references.
I've tried to watch the American version, but just don't get it. As you say, cultural differences.

Her plotlines may not have been all that great the past couple of seasons, but her departure means that the show should probably come to an end, if not after this season, then certainly after season 10. You could make a compelling argument that she is the show's lead character, IMO. I would consider her, Frank, and Lip to be nearly indispensable to the series.