• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

pain management - NSAIDS v Opioids

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Hi all. I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I just want some clarification.
How powerfull are NSAIDs like celecoxib in comparison to opioids like morphine in there ability to reduce pain. I do understand that NSAIDs supress inflammation, and can therefore directly address one of the key causes of some types of pain. However I am more interested in the effects of the two distinct drug classes on general non inflammatory pain. I recently read a study which claimed that in children with serious injuries, pain management using the NSAID ibuprofen was comparable to the prototypical opioid morphine in ethicasy, with far fewer side effects and no tolerance. I am also aware that for long term pain management, opioids may be preferred over NSAIDs which can have extremely dangerous side effects like bleading stomach ulsers and kidney failure. Has anyone had experience of both drug classes? If so how did they compare for blocking pain? I have never taken opioids, but I have tried ibuprofen, it rapidly and completely eliminated a severe headache which had almost caused me to vomit due to the pain.

I'm a little short on time right now but I take some heavy opiates for chronic pain and there are times ibuprofen works wonders. Basically I think it's due to the fact that pain medications are not anti-inflammatory meds and ibuprofen is. I think that's the short answer IMHO.

I totally appreciate your desire to become educated on the subject and to hopefully, better-control your pain. The good news is, you should be able to find a lot of valuable, scientifically-backed research available online. You shouldn't need Bluelight for this sort of thing, as the treatment of pain is not necessarily a clandestine phenomenon.

the Oxford League Table of Analgesics is a handy resource, it was a study of how effective various painkillers are, suprisingly ibuprofen and the coxibs are very very effective and opioids alone are not anywhere near as effective as either plain NSAIDs or Tylenol/NSAIDs plus opioids.

If you pick an NSAID with a long half life that you can tolerate (naproxen e.g.) then I'd say take that over opioids. The stomach bleeding etc is only a possibility and doesn't happen overnight. You'll know to stop before anything awful happens due to the sore stomach. Opioid addiction on the other hand...

the Oxford League Table of Analgesics is a handy resource, it was a study of how effective various painkillers are, suprisingly ibuprofen and the coxibs are very very effective and opioids alone are not anywhere near as effective as either plain NSAIDs or Tylenol/NSAIDs plus opioids.

If you pick an NSAID with a long half life that you can tolerate (naproxen e.g.) then I'd say take that over opioids. The stomach bleeding etc is only a possibility and doesn't happen overnight. You'll know to stop before anything awful happens due to the sore stomach. Opioid addiction on the other hand...

That chart is pretty interesting... the ibuprofen numbers are crazy high. And it is interesting to compare the opiate/NDAID combos to opiates themselves. A good read. Thanks for the link!