• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - B.C. speeds up efforts to get clean drugs to long-term addicts

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
No break in fentanyl deaths prompts B.C. to speed up efforts to get clean drugs to long-term addicts
Travis Lupick
The Georgia Straight
December 6th, 2017

The province is accelerating an expansion of a controversial program where people who are addicted to opioids receive a clean supply of drugs via the province’s health-care system.

In a telephone interview, B.C.’s minister of mental health and addictions, Judy Darcy, said the goal is to see injectable hydromorphone—a drug very similar to heroin—available in all five of B.C.’s health authorities as soon as possible.

“We want to get this life-saving treatment into people’s hands,” she told the Straight. “It’s a critical alternative for people for whom first-line therapies don’t work…and I’m pressing as hard as I can to improve access.”

Darcy said she has assigned the task to B.C.’s new Overdose Emergency Response Centre, which was announced for Vancouver General Hospital on December 1.

“It’s modelled after a traditional emergency management structure,” she noted. “That’s going to really accelerate everything we’re doing across the board for the overdose crisis.”

Read the full story here.

This is going to piss off the conservatives, but they have a tendency to approach the unknown with reckless superstition, so fuck them.

I love that Canada actually gives a damn about thier citizens. A life is a life, junkie or not, and they take care of their people.

Meanwhilenin the US... kellyanne conway is heading up efforts to combat opioid addiction.

^lol. Actually it isn't "lol", it's really sad when it comes to the state of affairs in the US with drug policy. Like, meanwhile in the US, drug users are continuing to be prevented from accessing humane, effective forms of treatment and continue to die as a result.

All I have to say is god bless Canada. They lead the way in many ways when it comes to institutional drug policy, at least compared to anywhere else in North America.