• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Red States Backdoor to Cutting Medicaid for Opioid Addicts

This is my first post so apologies if I screw it up. I'm an Aussie who lived in the USA for close to 30 years and I am horrified, (sadly, not surprised) at how this "opiate epidemic" is playing out. From about 1997 until 2004 I went to a good many detoxes and rehabs in the USA and even with insurance the options were few and far between. As for methadone and, or suboxone treatment, forget it. Time and time again I saw people suddenly 'cured" and sent out the door the moment the insurance ran out. It's a completely inhumane system that is pretty well designed for failure.

As for this rhetoric on how drug tests will get more people the treatment they need - where? What treatment? Year after year after year we have called for the urgent need for affordable and accessible treatment and year after year the result is the same: increased law enforcement, mandatory sentencing, tighter and tighter regulations.

Oops, I almost forgot, what am I thinking? Why do we need treatment when all we have to do is "just say no"? Of course, The Orange One has a similar slogan to Nancy's which I've had to block from my memory. But, according to Trump, it's really so easy to stop addiction. And we all know, Trump never lies.

Good point. To me the key is finding treatment that works. What use is pushing someone into rehab if there's a 90 percent chance it won't work? The fact that a self help book from the 1930s forms the basis of the entire thing is a major problem. The entire system needs to be overhauled from the ground up. More choices in the way of maintenance should be offered and it should be affordable. 30 grand a month is far too much.