• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kratom: No Opiate Buzz or Euphoria?

evilshade

Greenlighter
I tried kratom , particularly the red / bali strain. all it does is make me feel sedated. Yes it causes itching, constipation, pin point pupils and nodding like an opiate but there is no opiate buzz or Euphoria. I'm talking about the warm fuzzy feeling that all your problems have gone away. Pain killers like tramadol, oxycodone and dilaudid gave me a buzz but with kratom it's all sedation.

Am I the only one with this issue or is this what kratom is supposed to be like???

Well, you can't make a generalization of Kratom based on a single tried strain. People go through dozens to find what's working for them. I have found that white and yellow strains are the most euphoric to me but YMMV.

Also if you have an opioid tolerance, Kratom won't feel very strong.

I tried kratom , particularly the red / bali strain. all it does is make me feel sedated. Yes it causes itching, constipation, pin point pupils and nodding like an opiate but there is no opiate buzz or Euphoria. I'm talking about the warm fuzzy feeling that all your problems have gone away. Pain killers like tramadol, oxycodone and dilaudid gave me a buzz but with kratom it's all sedation.

Am I the only one with this issue or is this what kratom is supposed to be like???

I’ve used kratom for two years now and have never gotten any sedation or nodding, from any strain of kratom, and very, very little itching.

If you’re expecting an oxy or dilaudid-type high from kratom you will continue to be sorely let-down...

Kratom just doesn’t do it for some people, especially— as was already mentioned — people with a high opioid tolerance. You may be one of those people.

Whatever you do, don’t continue to dose in rapid succession, as a kratom “overdose,” while not necessarily dangerous, can be one of the most unpleasant things you can experience.

No that is not what Kratom is supposed to feel like. It is very euphoric, my best guess is that you did not prepare it correctly. or that you simply did not take enough or possibly a combination of the two. I took Kratom for years until my opiate tolerance was just to much for the good friend. Not only can you use Kratom for getting high, but you can use it to get off heroin and many other opiates/opioids. It's main alkaloid is 7-hydroxymitragynine and it mimics that of opiate agonists. goes to the same receptors, so it barks like an opiate, bits like and opiate and feels like an opiate, I think it must be an opiate(or simply the alkaloids mimic opiates). Also keep in mind that Kratom has many stains red white borneo and ind, uppers downers and combinations.
Can you tell me how you prepared it? and how much you took?

Well, you can't make a generalization of Kratom based on a single tried strain. People go through dozens to find what's working for them. I have found that white and yellow strains are the most euphoric to me but YMMV.

Also if you have an opioid tolerance, Kratom won't feel very strong.

Never heard or tried Yellow strains, i've herd of and used red and white borneo but never herd of a yellow, what's it like? Not to derail the thread, maybe OP would like to know as well?

When i was less experienced with opiates a few grams of bali gave me pretty good euphoria. As i got more accustomed to opiates the high from kratom got less and less.

Maybe you just didn’t get a good strain or maybe your body just doesn’t work well with kratom, i couldn’t tell you. Like others have said don’t just keep increasing the dose though, kratom OD while not lethal can be intensely uncomfortable. Vomiting up kratom powder is one of the strangest sensations i’ve experienced and the kratom headache is brutal.

Never heard or tried Yellow strains, i've herd of and used red and white borneo but never herd of a yellow, what's it like? Not to derail the thread, maybe OP would like to know as well?

I think yellow strains originates from Vietnam. Although there is also a belief that they are simply a mixture of two kinds. The one I get comes in bulk packages and is said to be from Vietnam.
As for effects, it feels somewhat like a cross between a white strain (heady, euphoric, motivating) and a red one (analgesia, muscle relaxing properties, opioid high). Every batch seems a little different too, even from the same supplier, so it's hard to really generalize.

Red Bali is always a good one to start with, plus it's usually very affordable.

I think yellow strains originates from Vietnam. Although there is also a belief that they are simply a mixture of two kinds. The one I get comes in bulk packages and is said to be from Vietnam.
As for effects, it feels somewhat like a cross between a white strain (heady, euphoric, motivating) and a red one (analgesia, muscle relaxing properties, opioid high). Every batch seems a little different too, even from the same supplier, so it's hard to really generalize.

Red Bali is always a good one to start with, plus it's usually very affordable.

yeah ill look into it, thanks for the tip, It has been a while since I've used Kratom. I used to get it all the time and i got the Red Bali and green a lot, i think green is a mixture of red and white. I just need to get off suboxone first, I think I'm planning on using zubsolv for that since it has better excipient/Inactive ingredients than suboxone does, 5.7mg buprenorphine in Zubsolv is the equivalent to 8.0mg of buprenorphine in suboxone due to BA of inactive ingredients inside Zubsolv vs Suboxone Sublingual Films and even the Tablets when they existed.

No that is not what Kratom is supposed to feel like. It is very euphoric, my best guess is that you did not prepare it correctly. or that you simply did not take enough or possibly a combination of the two. I took Kratom for years until my opiate tolerance was just to much for the good friend. Not only can you use Kratom for getting high, but you can use it to get off heroin and many other opiates/opioids. It's main alkaloid is 7-hydroxymitragynine and it mimics that of opiate agonists. goes to the same receptors, so it barks like an opiate, bits like and opiate and feels like an opiate, I think it must be an opiate(or simply the alkaloids mimic opiates). Also keep in mind that Kratom has many stains red white borneo and ind, uppers downers and combinations.
Can you tell me how you prepared it? and how much you took?

The word you're looking for is "opioids".

"Opiates", in the strictest sense, only refers to opioids found in opium (i.e. morphine, codeine and thebaine), although that definition is sometimes extended to their esters (ex.: diacetylmorphine aka heroin).

Everything else - from semisynthetics like oxycodone or buprenorphine to fully synthetic ones like tramadol or fentanyl, and even natural non-poppy-derived substances like hydroxymitragynine or salvinorin A - falls under the umbrella term of "opioid".

Kratom differs from most other opioids in that it is primarily active at the Delta Opioid Receptor, whereas most other opioids bind at the Mu Opioid Receptor (meaning kratom is generally less euphoric, sedating and addictive than a mu agonist like morphine).

Last edited:
I had pretty much the same experience. It did help me feel better through withdrawals though when I ran out of Suboxone.

I really only got solid opiate buzzes off kratom when I was opioid naive or now when I've been abstinent a few months. Great (minor) mood lift always though.

This really seems a lot more like a "how do I get high/why am I not high" thread than anything having to do with Harm Reduction. We really can't tell you why you do or do not experience certain effects from drugs. Not only is it impossible to explain these phenomena, it really doesn't have anything to do with HR in the first place so what's the point in trying to answer it. If you decide to use drugs, determining your personal preferences is entirely on you. We cannot make you have fun or tell you what will cause you to have fun.

If you have questions regarding the safety of the drugs that you choose to use, we would be happy to help you out with that, but telling you why or why you do not enjoy a given drug is far from our forum guidelines. Even if it coincided with out forum guidelines, it's impossible to definitively describe. ?????

I really only got solid opiate buzzes off kratom when I was opioid naive or now when I've been abstinent a few months. Great (minor) mood lift always though.

This was my experience.

More kratom may not be the answer for the OP though, they might be better off just using cannabis or CBD or something and taking a break from opioid like substances. And for what it's worth, kratom dependency, while not nearly as bad as opioid dependency, still involves a super shitty withdrawal. It's more manageable in a certain sense, especially physiologically speaking, but the psychological and emotional mindfuck is no bueno, no bueno at all.

I’ve used kratom for two years now and have never gotten any sedation or nodding, from any strain of kratom, and very, very little itching.

If you’re expecting an oxy or dilaudid-type high from kratom you will continue to be sorely let-down...

Kratom just doesn’t do it for some people, especially— as was already mentioned — people with a high opioid tolerance. You may be one of those people.

Whatever you do, don’t continue to dose in rapid succession, as a kratom “overdose,” while not necessarily dangerous, can be one of the most unpleasant things you can experience.
Strange, I have experienced nodding, and a great amount of sedation from Kratom the red vein variety and it was akin to heroin, Oxy, Roxy. but that was with Ultra premium 7 years ago. I was shown a special way to make it, similar to the method to make Kava but involving a hot plate to be precise. The potency has increased greatly since then. If you want an ecstasy like feel? try mixing blue lotus extract with Red Vein Bali/Borneo. It was like full body euphoria without the 5min interval's of ecstasy waves.

I may be wrong but I haven't met a single person that I made kratom for, not being able to have the Opiate like experience with "mitragyna speciosa" of the "red vein" variety.

And for what it's worth, kratom dependency, while not nearly as bad as opioid dependency, still involves a super shitty withdrawal. It's more manageable in a certain sense, especially physiologically speaking, but the psychological and emotional mindfuck is no bueno, no bueno at all.

Correct. It may not be akin to heroin withdrawal (I know from experience), but while pretty short in duration, is absolutely no fun, and you definitely won't be functioning at a normal level. The depression and anxiety is only magnified by the extreme fatigue and simultaneous insomnia. Kratom was certainly a lot more effective and enjoyable when not staring down the prospect of withdrawal at all times...

Strange, I have experienced nodding, and a great amount of sedation from Kratom the red vein variety and it was akin to heroin, Oxy, Roxy. but that was with Ultra premium 7 years ago. I was shown a special way to make it, similar to the method to make Kava but involving a hot plate to be precise. The potency has increased greatly since then. If you want an ecstasy like feel? try mixing blue lotus extract with Red Vein Bali/Borneo. It was like full body euphoria without the 5min interval's of ecstasy waves.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

It's common for kratom dosages ranging from 4gs and below to produce a short, euphoric, energetic feeling for 20 minutes or less. Try taking 6-8 grams, mindful of what you've in your system already. Keep in mind, if your body has little energy to expend, you won't feel it's effects as long, mentally. Eating protein + carbs (not powder, food) in combination with excersize before dosing will improve the effects. Kratom IS NOT cannabis, all drugs are unique, cannabis included. The fact of the matter is, kratom is an opioid agonist, and while you can't necessarily OD under 20gs, you can certainly make yourself very ill. Take all this with a grain of salt, as I'm not a professional, and find out what works best for you.