• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Common reflux drug linked to cancer risk

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
gettyimages-476698149.jpg

A drug commonly used to treat acid reflux is linked to a more than doubled risk of developing stomach cancer, researchers claim.

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) reduce the amount of acid made by the stomach and are used to treat acid reflux and stomach ulcers.

A study published in the journal Gut identified an association between long-term use of the drug and a 2.4 times higher risk of developing stomach cancer.

PPIsare one of the most popularly prescribed drugs in Australia for conditions such as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcer disease and functional dyspepsia, according the the Royal College of Australian GPs.

A link between PPIs and a higher stomach cancer risk has previously been identified by academics - but never in a study that first eliminates a bacteria suspected of fuelling the illness's development.

Research by the University of Hong Kong and University College London found that after the Helicobacter plyori was removed, the risk of developing the disease still rose in line with the dose and duration of PPI treatment.

Daily use of PPIs was associated with a risk of developing the illness that was more than four-times higher (4.55) than those who used it weekly.

Similarly, when the drug was used for more than a year, the risk of developing stomach cancer rose by five-fold, and as high as eight-fold after three or more years, the findings showed.

The study concluded no firm cause and effect could be drawn, but doctors should "exercise caution when prescribing long-term PPIs... even after successful eradication of H plyori".

Responding to the study, Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "Many observational studies have found adverse effects associated with PPIs.

"The most plausible explanation for the totality of evidence on this is that those who are given PPIs, and especially those who continue on them long-term, tend to be sicker in a variety of ways than those for whom they are not prescribed."

Source: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/11/01/common-reflux-drug-linked-cancer-risk

WOAH!

do you know how many people are prescribed daily omeprazole?

a fucking shit ton of old people are taking it by the bucketful

jesus

^ Yep, it's a pretty major finding. Cue the switch to Zantac!

Note that this is just a correlation that was found:

Responding to the study, Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "Many observational studies have found adverse effects associated with PPIs.

"The most plausible explanation for the totality of evidence on this is that those who are given PPIs, and especially those who continue on them long-term, tend to be sicker in a variety of ways than those for whom they are not prescribed."

So poor diet, leads to needing ppis. Then you continue same poor diet and now are consuming more and more crap, welcome, you now enter the higher majority of those that are generally sicker.

Im also in this boat. Why is it so hard to onpy eat good food????
Makes such a difference

Note that this is just a correlation that was found:

Yeah sounds like its not the drug but the people. Like everything in America, ppis are over prescribed but still the gold standard for GERD and ulcers.

Is cimitedine one of these drugs?

I want to add, i changed my diet and got off ppis.

I take some occasional quickeze now instead

My Dr refused to give me ppi's for a few years instead I self medicated on mylanta which in the end was doing shit.

In the end took some tests and got ppi's haven't felt this good in a fucken long time. Before I couldnt eat so many foods. I admit my reflux issues came from smoking and drinking too much.

So poor diet, leads to needing ppis. Then you continue same poor diet and now are consuming more and more crap, welcome, you now enter the higher majority of those that are generally sicker.

Im also in this boat. Why is it so hard to onpy eat good food????
Makes such a difference

Very true. I went to the doctors describing symptoms such as acid reflux and diarrhea, and was told I had IBS. I asked what caused IBS and was told IBS describes a range of symptoms rather than a cause. This is fair enough, but when I mentioned food intolerances and controlling diet as a means of eliminating symptoms, I was met with scorn. Alternatively, IBS medication was strongly encouraged.

I just don't eat wheat and I don't have any problems. Dairy and more so, egg, do give me problems, but it's manageable. Wheat gives me such bad acid reflux that I bow get a sore/infected throat if I eat it. My dad has the same thing but never understood/addressed it - he's been on acid reflux meds for thirty or so years.

Diet choices, smoking and drinking. This leads to the need to use ppi's or even basic antacids
Yes there are more simple and medical reasons, but most people can get dramatic change by understanding this and adjusting accordingly.....

(Ill post back once i can actually put my money on the table.... working on it thats all i can say!)