• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Front-line workers give drug users 'clean drugs' to battle overdose spike

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Front-line workers give drug users 'clean drugs' to battle spike in opioid overdoses
Susan Lunn
CBC
October 26th, 2017

Workers on the front lines of Ottawa's opioid crisis say allowing drug users to consume drugs at supervised injection sites is not enough to prevent overdose deaths — so they are going one step further.

Ottawa Inner City Health began providing a small group of users with "clean" drugs in September following a rapid rise in the number of overdoses from street drugs contaminated with fentanyl over the summer.

"They're bringing in drugs that are laced with fentanyl, so the thought would be, if we're going to have supervised safe drug injection sites, why would we allow them to still inject poison?" said Dr. Jeff Turnbull, the chief physician for Ottawa Inner City Health, which provides health care to the homeless.

"Why would we not allow them to inject pharmaceutical-grade medications?"

Seven patients began receiving a combination of oral and intravenous doses of the painkiller hydromorphone, or Dilaudid, last month, and Turnbull wants to increase that to 40 users over the next month.

Read the full story here.

That's it I'm moving to Canada. I pray we get solutions like this in the US. Of course we won't just more people in prison and more deaths. Whatever I double dosed my US government approved addiction this morning so I feel pretty good anyway. But God damn I shot of dillauded sounds good