• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl Patch Safety

shartito

Bluelighter
So I’ve been wearing a 25mch patch for 24 hours. (Mylan).

I wasn’t going into this expecting a lot of euphoria. I did however have the basic expectation that it would help me maintain over a few days, seeing as that I have one of the most powerful medically accepted opioids being slowly released into my body. I don’t have the cash flow to buy the pills I need right now.

Yesterday was rough, but in my research i read that it can take up to 20 hours to fully kick in. So I took some “breakthrough meds” to help. Felt great last night.

Woke up this morning with the unmistakeable feeling of early withdrawal. Wtf. I’m not talking shit about fentanyl but maybe my tolerance is just so high that 25mcg an hour just doesn’t cut it? (Tolerance is such that 120mg of hydrocone a day is routine and 160mg isn’t uncommon)

My friend gums them. I have one patch left and am considering gumming part of it. I still definitely have a fear and respect for the drug. I know it can kill. So I’m a little leery about how to proceed. Should I just chalk these patches up to a lost cause? What would you seasoned addicts do in my place?

I need these withdrawals to stop, but don’t want to play around recklessly with fent.

Hope this question is okay. I did do some research on my own. I found a lot of “never do anything more than the doctor says” and “you will die” stuff. So....

Last edited:
Okay, after consulting a few trusted friends, I went ahead and gummed 1/4 of my second patch.

A couple hours later I'm feeling much better, and also very safe. I think I'm good to go. But I don't think I'll mess with patches anymore. If I can't afford my normal pills, I'd rather use kratom to stave off withdrawals than try and use a fentanyl patch. Wearing it doesn't work, gumming it seems to help, but also more dangerous (and not long lasting from what I've gathered)

Mods, you can close this if you want. I've answered my own question. :)

I'm glad that you worked this out and feeling better. I've never tried this and was talking to a friend who went through her oxy too fast. She told me she didn't feel much of anything from eating a patch. I mentioned that I've heard of people cheeking them but didn't want to encourage this and see her overdose.

A Heating pad over the patch will help it release faster but probBly not a good idea because it impossible to figure out at whT rate it releases the medication. In fact, in my 16 years of opiate and heroin use, the only time that I had thought I ever came closing to overdosing was this method, I had 1-2 patches on and I May have earlier chewed on one. (Also given what time in my life it was, probably had taken high doses of tramadol or a couple OC80s,) Anyway I had heat up the patches on my body and then while watching a movie I kept nodding off. I don't know if I was stopping breathing, but I'd wake suddenly feeling like I had no oxygen and gasping for air, and this happened all night. Yes it was probably the combination, not specifically the fent but all I know is before heating patching I was up talking to people and after I couldn't stay awake and possibly stopping breathing. And I think it like caused me a sort of subconscious ptsd because for about a year after, I'd keep waking up gasping for air. It happened less and less til it stopped but like I said, that took about a year

I'm glad that you worked this out and feeling better. I've never tried this and was talking to a friend who went through her oxy too fast. She told me she didn't feel much of anything from eating a patch. I mentioned that I've heard of people cheeking them but didn't want to encourage this and see her overdose.

I'm admittedly not a patch expert, by any means. But I've never understood the chewing/eating thing (although I came across it many times in my research). All that does is mix the opioid into your saliva which is then swallowed, wasting it.

Gumming or Cheeking, especially if you can get your gums really dry so the adhesive actually sticks to it, provided a noticeable difference. I'm pretty sure the buccal bioavailability is lower than skin transdermal (also wasting some), but it hits harder and faster. Honestly this is the only way I can get any feeling out of it at all.

I never thought I would say this about fentanyl, but patches are overrated. Especially wearing them. I might think differently if I had a 50, 75 or 100 mcg patch. But the 25mcg is basically doing nothing. Nothing whatsoever.

It was a fun experiment. But I'll stick to my pills ;)

A Heating pad over the patch will help it release faster but probBly not a good idea because it impossible to figure out at whT rate it releases the medication. In fact, in my 16 years of opiate and heroin use, the only time that I had thought I ever came closing to overdosing was this method, I had 1-2 patches on and I May have earlier chewed on one. (Also given what time in my life it was, probably had taken high doses of tramadol or a couple OC80s,) Anyway I had heat up the patches on my body and then while watching a movie I kept nodding off. I don't know if I was stopping breathing, but I'd wake suddenly feeling like I had no oxygen and gasping for air, and this happened all night. Yes it was probably the combination, not specifically the fent but all I know is before heating patching I was up talking to people and after I couldn't stay awake and possibly stopping breathing. And I think it like caused me a sort of subconscious ptsd because for about a year after, I'd keep waking up gasping for air. It happened less and less til it stopped but like I said, that took about a year

I considered the heating pad, as I came across that idea in my research as well. I probably would have done it if I was wearing only a piece of the patch. I didn't feel comfortable doing it with a whole patch on.

That was before I realized my tolerance to fent was higher than I thought. For something so dangerous, it's surprisingly underwhelming. Of course, that will be the attitude that gets me killed, so I'm still playing it safe.

Maan I had some CLOSE calls with fent patches. I was wreckless when I got scripted the 50mcg/hr patches. I would stick a whole patch (of the matrix ones, not the gel ones) to the inside of one of my cheeks, where there's a lot of thin skin and close to surface blood vessels for them to rapidly absorb into.

I only did this a few times, because every time I'd wake up hours later with only the memory of applying the patch.

One of the the times I stuck the patch in and decided to read a book... woke up (thank God) 6 hours later on the same page I started from...

This method would probably work really well if only a PIECE of the patch is applied to the inside of the cheek. But extreme caution is advised of course.

The thing with fent is it's incredibly potent, but all respiratory depression, no euphoria :/