• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Recreational marijuana is saving lives in Colorado, study finds

poledriver

Bluelighter
Recreational marijuana is saving lives in Colorado, study finds

Opioid deaths fall following the legalization of recreational marijuana sales in the state

By Christopher Ingraham, The Washington Post

Marijuana legalization in Colorado led to a “reversal” of opiate overdose deaths in that state, according to new research published in the American Journal of Public Health.

“After Colorado’s legalization of recreational cannabis sale and use, opioid-related deaths decreased more than 6% in the following 2 years,” write authors Melvin D. Livingston, Tracey E. Barnett, Chris Delcher and Alexander C. Wagenaar.

The authors stress that their results are preliminary, given that their study encompasses only two years of data after the state’s first recreational marijuana shops opened in 2014.

While numerous studies have shown an association between medical marijuana legalization and opioid overdose deaths, this report is one of the first to look at the impact of recreational marijuana laws on opioid deaths.

Marijuana is often highly effective at treating the same types of chronic pain that patients are often prescribed opiates for. Given the choice between marijuana and opiates, many patients appear to be opting for the former.

From a public health standpoint, this is a positive development, considering that relative to opiates, marijuana carries essentially zero risk of fatal overdose.

Now, the study in the American Journal of Public Health suggests that similar findings hold true for recreational marijuana legalization. The authors examined trends in monthly opiate overdose fatalities in Colorado before and after the state’s recreational marijuana market opened in 2014. They attempted to isolate the effect of recreational, rather than medical, marijuana by comparing Colorado to Nevada, which allowed medical but not recreational marijuana during that period.

They also attempted to correct for a change in Colorado’s prescription-drug-monitoring program that happened during the study period. That change required all opioid prescribers to register with, but not necessarily use, the program in 2014.

Overall, after controlling for both medical marijuana and the prescription-drug-monitoring change, the study found that after Colorado implemented its recreational marijuana law, opioid deaths fell by 6.5 percent in the following two years.

The authors say policymakers will want to keep a close eye on the numbers in the coming years to see whether the trend continues. They’d also like to see whether their results are replicated in other states that recently approved recreational marijuana, such as Washington and Oregon.

They note, also, that while legal marijuana may reduce opioid deaths it could also be increasing fatalities elsewhere — on Colorado’s roads, for instance.

Still, the study adds more evidence to the body of research suggesting that increasing marijuana availability could help reduce the toll of America’s opiate epidemic, which claims tens of thousands of lives each year.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/10/16/colorado-opioid-deaths-marijuana-legalization/90145/

This is very interesting and nice to know now. Im glad a state had the balls to tell the government to screw off and legalize something in their state that has this kind of effect on the death rate of opioids.

I've seen this "study" mentioned all over. While I agree that cannabis is a better alternative than opioid medications, I think "saving live" is a bit of a stretch in this case. Correlation is not causation, and whether positive or negative, propaganda is still propaganda.

You are over-politicizing a rather simple topic.

There a tons of factors that contribute to the number of opioid deaths every year and to claim that it is solely because pot is more available is over simplification of a complex dynamic for the sake of pushing forward pot friendly legislation.

If pot really saved lives because opioid addicts would rather smoke pot then get high, how is it that the legal status of the substance plays any role? It is already widely available and someone who is using opioids in a fashion that would lead to overdose is already breaking the law, so clearly legal status does not come into play with their decision to use or not to use a substance.

It is much more likely that something like the purity of street heroin is contributing to the 6% decline in overdose over the last 2 years in a state that has had recreation cannabis for over 3 years and medical cannabis for nearly 20.

Opioid overdoses have been on the rise since before 2000 with a dramatic increase in the last decade. Again, correlation is not causation.
https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/images/data/od_deaths_bytype.gif

Last edited:
I completely agree that legalizing cannabis would make it more widely available to the public. The problem is getting addicts off opioids and onto using cannabis. At that point, they probably just become addicted to another substance. However, cannabis is a substance that is less dangerous simply because the user cannot die from an overdose.

Availability.

Yeah that argument doesn't hold any ground.

If that were true you would see direct correlation between the availability of cannabis and the reduction of opioid related deaths. However, you don't. Cannabis has become increasingly available over the last 2 decades and despite that, the number of opioid related deaths has spiked, especially over the last 5 years...

Also, availability doesn't really make sense since these people are buying and using an illicit substance and cannabis is much easier obtained even in the black market than is heroin.

In my experience, I no longer have to deal with black market bullshit weed dealers trying to push their opioids off on me.

It's rather nice actually being clean of these harder drugs.

Yeah I would much prefer to be able to buy cannabis from a store and know the strain name and know the percentages of THC and CBD etc. And as wolfgang mentioned not have to deal with black market dealers and weed that can be so hit and miss, and some of the dealers offer other harder drugs.

I can't see why anyone would wont to keep cannabis illegal and in the hands of the blackmarket. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Pot saves lives, Maf', just deal with it. That's some propaganda I could get behind.

giphy.gif

If you ain't 21 I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but legality ain't one.

Pot saves lives, Maf', just deal with it. That's some propaganda I could get behind.

giphy.gif

Propaganda is propaganda. I fully agree that prohibition is bad and that regulation is positive, but the misrepresentation of facts is unnecessary either way.

I think it's ironic that cannabis users in particular are some of the quickest to call out negative propaganda, point out all that is wrong with old anti-marijuana adverts, but yet misrepresent a lot of facts that are pro-cannabis. Misrepresenting facts, either for or against a cause, only serves to discredit yourself and your own intelligence to anyone who does not buy into your propaganda.

Again, if legal cannabis "saves lives" by offering an alternative to opioids and thus preventing opioid overdose, then why hasn't there been a steady decline in opioid overdoses in the last decade and a half, from the start of state approved medical marijuana? Also, logically one would have expected a sharper decrease over the last few years of recreational cannabis rather than a spike in opioid overdoses over the last decade that is only showing signs of rounding off(the 6% decrease) over the last 2 years.

There is no direct link.

I was just jokin' around, big guy. Being facetious.

If a One Piece gif makes it into my post you can be like 65% sure that I'm not 100% serious.

But seriously, though, if there was ever a line of propaganda for a pro-marijuana kind of guy to get behind, "Pot saves lives" is it, for sure.

lol sorry I just have seen this study passed around so much it is hard to tell.. I always thought the "it cures cancer" line was the best, but "it saves lives" is more encompassing now that you mention it.

It's not just with opiates either. People have been moving here in flocks to save their own lives as well as their families' lives to treat (successfully) chronic seizures among several other medical issues treated with cannabis alone.

I've never tried to argue that cannabis can't be used appropriately as a medicine, just that claiming that people aren't dying because they can legally buy weed instead of shooting black tar is a little far fetched.

It's not as black and white as you want it to be. Read the article again if needed.