Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️

• Total voters

cj

Bluelight Crew
New Star trek show premiers tonight on CBS. I'm pretty excited to see what they will do with the huge 9 million an episode budget. Hope it has a dark DS9 like feel to it.

I thought the first episode was awesome. I guess I'll be subscribing to CBS all access.

I'm not willing to pay to view it. I'll wait and see how it turns out, but I'm sure I'll watch it at some point; I've seen every single other episode/series/movie of Star Trek 8)

I only watched the first 5 minutes or so, but the production value was great. It's averaging 7.5/10 so far on Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm not willing to pay to view it. I'll wait and see how it turns out, but I'm sure I'll watch it at some point; I've seen every single other episode/series/movie of Star Trek 8)
I'm not going to pay for it either honestly. I'll end up torrenting it

It's on Netflix. Can't wait to get some time to watch it! :)

Not in the united states unfortunately

That sucks - both episodes are on Netflix in the UK.

Just saw the first. Production values are really exceptional for a TV series, must have cost a bomb. I'm also liking Michelle Yeoh and the general bridge set up.

NSFW:
Not sure why the Klingons look so different though, but maybe that'll be explained at some point

Klinks always change from generation to generation. I loved the explanation for TOS klinks in a DS9 episode, which essentially amounted to 'we don't talk about it' lol. Then in Enterprise in some episodes with Brent Spinner I believe, they explained that TOS klinks were a product of genetic modifications using human DNA or something... so yeah, they're always a-changin heh.

Yeah I looked on Netflix when I saw that, definitely not here in the States :\ time for some piracy I guess.

Just saw the second episode - that was pretty awesome!! For people who like their Trek with plenty of high quality action, they're probably going to like this series. There's bound to be a little upset about the change to canon though :\

I also watched After Trek, which discusses the episodes, and explains the changes to Klingons etc. Worth watching for an idea of what's going on behind the scenes, and how far they go to film the scenes (Sonequa's fight scene in particular is interesting/involved).

As for not being on Netflix in the States, what a scam! :(

Just saw the third episode. It was fun and action packed, with maybe a little techno-babble at one point but not too much. I'm definitely enjoying the fresh take on things in the Trek universe.

4th episode is veering crazily into slightly absurd technobabble

WTF is a spore-based instantaneous subspace transportation system populated by giant Tardigrades doing in a Star Trek series?!

I liked it, but its pretty badly acted. I thought the spore drive was absurd. I will keep watching though, has a decent atmosphere. Production values are good but some of the obvious masks are obviously masks. Hmm.

some of the obvious masks are obviously masks. Hmm.

The tall one and the Klingons could really do with some facial movement going on imo, esp when lips don't move lol. And apparently every episode has twice the budget of this year's blockbuster film Get Out, so you'd think they could spare some $$.

I think they overspent on the throat ganglia.

I really want to get into Star Trek, where should I start ye trekkies among us?

They're all quite different. I liked TNG > Voyager > Enterprise > DS9 > TOS > TAS in that order. Others will give you a totally different order. Also depends if you like action vs character-based development, long or short story arcs etc.

I like DS9>TOS>TNG>VOY>ENT. Haven't seen any Discovery episodes to compare. Only just started TAS but it seems rather cheesy lol. DS9 was so, so amazing though. There's an overarching plot, which no other Star Trek series has ever done or attempted to since. Story episodes in DS9 are simply fantastic, particularly the last ten or so in the final season. The acting is phenomenal. TOS was special just because it was made in the 1960s. I particularly enjoy TOS episodes and films while on acid heheh :eek:

CFC, what did you dislike so much about DS9 and TOS that they're somehow behind the worst Star Trek series (that I've seen) to date? (aka Enterprise... *shudders at the thought of Cpt. Archer*)

I used to think Enterprise was pants when it came out, but actually it grew on me when I went back recently and I now wish they'd filmed the remaining 3 seasons to complete the arc.

I like DS9 (not so much TOS, I find a lot of those planet stage sets so repetitive) but I found the first few seasons a bit listless. Then again I did with TNG as well, but the last 3 seasons were Star Trek at its best imo. TAS is pretty cheesy tho yeah lol.

I know what you mean about the early seasons from those series being a bit listless. DS9 really came into it's own around season 4 imo. With 7 seasons for each TNG era series though, they're all bound to drag a bit. I wish they'd continued with Enterprise as well, I just hated Archer as a captain, and towards the end the show started getting ultra-fantastical. I dunno how well 7 seasons of Enterprise would have gone over heh.

The sets are repetitive in TOS, I guess I just love how darn colorful and 60s-esque the show was. I also enjoyed it as a look into 60s era world-views and how sci-fi proposed to deal with the then current issues. I think there was an episode that essentially equated to a justification for the Vietnam War lol.