• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

September Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v It's Fall Again / The Sky is Falling

Thanks CH! It's always great to hear your opinion. My problem with opiates has taken me to the darkest places. I need something light. Now that I can choose the strains that work better for me, I think I might. Back on my old days of MJ I didn't know how to choose and often ended up with anxiety. Now I'm hoping this changes.

If you do Go extremely slow in the beginning. When I started relapsing after having my first yr clean I smoked pot first. I only took a few hits but it was quality weed and I hadn't smoked for a yr. I had the worst anxiety, racing mind and irrational thoughts. I even started hyper ventilating because it was so uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article about opiates and cannabis, a combination that sometimes doesn't work as expected. It was a study that showed that in few cases the aftermath can result in anxiety. I didn't find the article but the reason I remember that was because I started to have bad and different experiences with MJ while using H or any other opiates and soon after that as well. I am not sure if that was ever validated as a study or just a collection of data for research.

I am now sober from opiates and benzodiazepines the last one would actually help in cases of anxiety, but my point is that you need to be mentally well and willing to embrace the effects of Cannabis. If I am okay, not distreesed or worried it could be beneficial IME. Some of the good decisions I made in life came from insightful mild trips. That's also one of the reasons why I prefer to do it where it's legal.

THC can cause anxiety for many people. I never, ever get paranoid or anxious on it. I don't even get anxious or paranoid when I would use methamphetamine either. If I experience anxiety it is largely situation/flashback related.

I only get anxious when returning to it after a long abstinence. That's why I suggested taking it extremely slow because I often go yrs without smoking and every time I return I am hit with an overwhelming high that has an extremely uncomfortable body load and irrational fear. My body quickly adjust though and it returns to that normal soft fuzzy cannabis feel that reminds me of why I liked smoking.

I remember reading an article about opiates and cannabis, a combination that sometimes doesn't work as expected. It was a study that showed that in few cases the aftermath can result in anxiety. I didn't find the article but the reason I remember that was because I started to have bad and different experiences with MJ while using H or any other opiates and soon after that as well. I am not sure if that was ever validated as a study or just a collection of data for research.

I am now sober from opiates and benzodiazepines the last one would actually help in cases of anxiety, but my point is that you need to be mentally well and willing to embrace the effects of Cannabis. If I am okay, not distreesed or worried it could be beneficial IME. Some of the good decisions I made in life came from insightful mild trips. That's also one of the reasons why I prefer to do it where it's legal.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes if you do try cannabis, Erik. Personally, I've found it to be extremely helpful, both for stuff related to my recovery from heroin and for depression/anxiety. I hope you get to have a similar experience.

And I'm sure you know this, but if you do try it--and if you get it from a legit dispensary--the folks working there should be able to steer you right in terms of good strains for folks who get edgy from THC.

27 months clean now! love it - loving life again

Stay strong all ! gl ;)

^^ YAAAA!! You guys are so awesome... Thanks for coming back and sharing XerXoX. I needed to hear that. Congrats Erikmen... I wish I hadn't thrown away my two stints of sobriety. If I could have stayed clean the whole time I would be slowly coming up on 2.5yrs. I felt good but I still had a lot of problems when I got my year. I was really messed up for a long time during that stint in sobriety due to being on methadone and benzos for so long. It is still good to know that I stayed sober 19 out of the last 27 months and that even my using months were never even close to being everyday usage.

Sitting at about a dozen or so days right now.. Not loving my life so much but I have hope, determination and big dreams. God please guide me to that place in life.

^ Thanks Simco!

^^ YAAAA!! You guys are so awesome... Thanks for coming back and sharing XerXoX. I needed to hear that. Congrats Erikmen... I wish I hadn't thrown away my two stints of sobriety. If I could have stayed clean the whole time I would be slowly coming up on 2.5yrs. I felt good but I still had a lot of problems when I got my year. I was really messed up for a long time during that stint in sobriety due to being on methadone and benzos for so long. It is still good to know that I stayed sober 19 out of the last 27 months and that even my using months were never even close to being everyday usage.

Sitting at about a dozen or so days right now.. Not loving my life so much but I have hope, determination and big dreams. God please guide me to that place in life.

I had quit before and I think I know how you feel. I still have a lot of issues to work out. Not only anxiety but I feel I'll never sleep again. I hear people saying "how can you sleep at night" randomly and I can't help thinking there's something wrong with me. I was also under Methadone and benzodiazepines blanket for years and years which means I can get a lot of tension from basically everything. I guess I am still relearning how to live a "normal" life. I have my good days though.

You'll be guided again @somnilicious it's a bit discouraging to start over but I assume you just have to start without a lot much expectations. Forget a little what you've had before and maybe you won't get that feeling of tiredness of thinking about all the steps. Help comes when we start I guess. Considering you've gone that far you know you have it in you somewhere.

<3

^^Def is great advice. I tend to want to conquer the world and set out to do so in my first 6 months. I Hate to use an AA favorite but Expectations are premeditated resentments, so true... lol.. I Have to learn to let the natural order of things play out in its own time... and another relevant AA saying.. One day at a time.

It's crazy how the more progress I make in my recovery, the more I can appreciate the wisdom of 12 step stuff. It sucks tehy tend to do such a poor job presenting it to people, because underneath their particular language it's rooted in a very universal kind of wisdom. Not saying I'm not highly critical of 12 step community, but there is a lot of good stuff to that program.

The one day at a time bit was introduced to me by my partner in college before I ever even thought or had a significant need for recovery. That is probably one of my favorite of their cliches.

I agree--one day at a time has saved me more times than I can count.

^ Ditto!
I was saved for 'a(n) hour at at time' a couple of times. Now I'm starting to learn to detect behaviors and thoughts I have before it comes to that. It's not always easy but it's a way to get prepared. Asking for help is also good. It has saved me too. Once you've set the alarm - it's a bit easier to cope.

Just gor back from a 'sober walk', something that the town I live in put together. It was really cool, minus the fact that we walked maybe a quarter of a quarter mile, and sat around for 7 hours.
The thing I liked most was I got certified to administer Narcan, and got a Narcan kit.

That's great D's. You can save lives! It must be quite rewarding.