Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - California initiative would legalize psychedelic mushrooms

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
California initiative would legalize psychedelic mushrooms
Reid Wilson
The Hill
August 30th, 2017

California would become the first state in the nation to legalize psychedelic mushrooms if a long-shot ballot initiative passes muster with voters next year.

The measure is backed by a legalization activist who says he kicked his heroin habit with the help of a mushroom trip in Death Valley. It would exempt Californians over the age of 21 from a state law that criminalizes mushrooms containing psilocybin, the compound that gives some mushrooms psychedelic properties.

“There is a cultural fascination with mushrooms that goes really deep,” said Kevin Saunders, the activist behind the initiative. “The soccer moms are all pretty much, for lack of a better term, high now, and some of them are taking mushrooms.”

Saunders filed his measure with the office of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) on Friday. Becerra’s office will review the initiative’s proposed language before issuing a ballot title and formal summary of the measure.
Once Becerra’s office takes those steps, supporters will be cleared to begin circulating petitions.

Psilocybin is a Schedule 1 substance under federal law, meaning it is ripe for potential abuse and has no widely accepted medical use. Other Schedule 1 drugs include heroin, LSD, ecstasy and bath salts.

Read the full story here.

This is definitely a long shot, and Saunders comes off as pretty nutty, but who knows? Best of luck to those in California!

That would def be a weird thing if that were to pass...no way it will, just saying how strange it would be and the number of people's getting them would probably be pretty high. Everyone tripping all the time. I plan on using mushrooms to help me finally get off opis for good. I know it's not a magic bullet for if it were ppl would be touting the "new cure"....but I have read about people toward the end of their taper or detox (mine was 120mmt to 50mg and once I get down to like 20 I'm going to try bupe or maybe been a weak fullagonist like codeine but idk...and once I'm kinda stable I plan on taking a dose of dried cubenesis mushrooms. Gotta do a ton of research first bc I've been on mmt for a long time and hooked on opis for a long time too...tho the benzo thing scares me wrose.

For some reason when I try to edit posts it deletes them.....any idea why?

Also wanted to add I've read of ppl having success getting off opis utilizing psychs...obv ibogaine which is super strong to mushrooms which are a pretty soft ride.

Magic Mushroom Legalization Effort Gets Green Light to Move Forward
Dennis Romero
LA Weekly
November 7th, 2017

A proposal to legalize the psychedelic drug popularly known as magic mushrooms recently received a green light to move forward with the signature-gathering process. California's attorney general just approved a "circulating title and summary" that allows organizers to gather voter endorsements.

"We're very excited," says Kevin P. Saunders, a mayoral candidate in Marina, who co-authored the proposed state initiative. "We see this as a civil rights issue."

Saunders and supporters have to turn in 365,880 valid voter signatures by April 30 in order to make the statewide ballot next year, according to the Secretary of State. That's a steep ask for such a grassroots effort. Since the late 1980s, only one voter initiative has made the ballot without the help of professional signature gatherers. Organizers of the California Psilocybin Legalization Initiative admit they don't have the $3 million or so it would take to get those pros into grocery store parking lots.

Like other dreamers before them, backers of legalizing psilocybin believe that volunteers or perhaps a whale of a donor will help push this initiative over the top. "Everything except actual money is coming our way," Saunders says. "We're one big donation away from being able to do this."

The measure, if approved by voters, would "decriminalize use, possession, sale, transport, or cultivation of psilocybin (a hallucinogenic compound) by persons at least 21 years of age," according to a summary published by the secretary of state.

Read the full story here.