• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

CBD for opiate withdrawl

PandaVii

Bluelighter
So recently I got through a methadone withdrawal cold turkey and they were absolutely unbearable. If your going through a similar thing I suggest using CBD oil to help you get through your withdrawal. It helps with the mental as well as the physical symptoms and will help you sleep at night if you need it. If you need more information on the subject there are many websights with information on the positives of CBD and opiate withdrawal. Good luck everyone and stay strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey this isn't really the forum for this...that being said I'm about to start to taper again ( worked down from 120 that I was on for years down to 50...it sucked) so I'm actually pretty interested in this...

Can a mod jump this to recovery or otherdruhs so it can keep going? Thanks.

Oh and when you say xbd are you talking about that crappy semi legal beadshop xbd that is made from Chinese industrial hemp orlile real xbd from cannabis with high cbd and low tjc? Thanks man. Always good to hear about ppl making it off the liquid handcuffs. Gives me hope bc I'll be cooked if I'm gona be a lifer.

CBD is not psychoactive as far as mental side effects go, so any anxiety or depression it wont help with. But it will help with physical pain and some minor uncomfortableness.

sure how do i jump it over im willing to do so. and i am referring to the chemical they find in cannabis that doesnt contain THC. I live in colorado we do a lot of experiments with marijuana and the bennifits of all of the plant. My husband Is one of the cannabis chemists. He has his own grow farm, makes CBD extract, Dabs, eatibles, charts how they help people in different situations, and CBD is very benificial to opiate withdrawls, and it DOES help so much with anxiety. being a weed friendly state they prefer we get help through the cannabis plants other than pharmaceuticals. If you go to a doctor here and tell them you have regular panic attacks on a general basis they recomment using CBD oil to help nutrualize them, as well as marijuana sold at the pot shops here that contain CBD for those who cannot handle smoking weed without getting anxiety. It has amazing effcets on the brain as far as psycological issues go.

CBD is not psychoactive as far as mental side effects go, so any anxiety or depression it wont help with.
You are right about it not being psychoactive, but wrong on the anxiety part.
CBD helps tremendously with anxiety, just do a google search on it

I've used CBD oil before, but that was the stuff that's sold in health food stores in a state where medical mj isn't even legal, I don't have the bottle anymore and I don't remember how potent it was, but it was rather ineffective for severe opiate WD. That being said, edible cannabis products made with a 80-100% indica strain worked great when I came off methadone. I went from 110mg methadone a day (was only on it for like 4-6 weeks) to nothing and felt fine the first day with no methadone, but by the 2nd day the anticipation of the withdrawal that was coming made me prematurely take suboxone and within 30min precipitated WD hit me like a truck and after writhing in pain and sweating bullets on the couch for an hour I ate 60mg of thc and it helped immensely. At the time I had no tolerance to cannabis whatsoever.

Edibles are great for WD, not necessarily smoking though. Smoking has helped me but sometimes it's made no difference at all, and in rare cases made it worse. I don't view cannabis as something that means you're not "clean" off drugs if you use it. I know for some people it's all or nothing with drugs but I still use cannabis once or twice a week and it doesn't cloud my judgment or make me feel like using dope again. When I jumped from my rather large heroin habit to suboxone this year I still felt like absolute shit for a couple weeks. Even with suboxone my body temperature was completely fucked and I was dragging ass at work when I wasn't calling in sick. Edibles helped a lot though. I think they aided my transition off heroin more than the suboxone did. Now that I'm stable on suboxone I don't need edibles anymore, and I don't FEEL like I want them either. i know this forum is about harm reduction but everyone is different and there are some of you I guarantee would benefit from a pot cookie.

I've heard from folks that CBD was helpful, but also that compared to more appropriate comfort meds rather ineffective. More that is was helpful dealing with PAWS, less helpful when dealing with the acute symptoms. Whatever works though, at least CBD isn't particularly dangerous.

IME it is more effective than CBD overall for managing symptoms, although I am also partial to the effects of psychoactive cannabinoids like THC and such.

i agree with everyone here, I just think that using the cannabis plant, all of it, is more helpful when coming off of things than medication. If you want to be clean of all meds that is. since its natural and non addictive to the body and brain its a better bet than using say other opiates like methadone to come off of heroin, most people end up relapsing again or starting their withdrawals all over when substituting with other pharmaceuticals which is a shame. I have done this myself. Its an endless cycle and if there is any way i can bring light to those going through opiate withdrawals to use marijuana in any way to help it would make me happy. Of course you are withdrawing so your still gonna feel a little discomfort no matter what. but if its worth it you can get through it. :)

i agree with everyone here, I just think that using the cannabis plant, all of it, is more helpful when coming off of things than medication. If you want to be clean of all meds that is. since its natural and non addictive to the body and brain its a better bet than using say other opiates like methadone to come off of heroin, most people end up relapsing again or starting their withdrawals all over when substituting with other pharmaceuticals which is a shame. I have done this myself. Its an endless cycle and if there is any way i can bring light to those going through opiate withdrawals to use marijuana in any way to help it would make me happy. Of course you are withdrawing so your still gonna feel a little discomfort no matter what. but if its worth it you can get through it. :)

That CBD is more helpful than an ORT medication like methadone couldn't be father from the truth - like I don't say many things are catagorically wrong or misleading, but this definitely is. CBD may not be habit forming or cause dependency, but it also doesn't have anywhere near the therapeutic benefits that something like methadone does when used properly for detox or maintenance.

But like I said, whatever works well for you, more power to you. I wonder what if any effect it will have in terms of your pregnancy. A lot of natural remedies are teratogenic after all, although I don't believe CBD is (that is just off the top of my head though, as I really don't know and very little research - if any - has been conducted to determine whether it is harmful or not).

That CBD is more helpful than an ORT medication like methadone couldn't be father from the truth - like I don't say many things are catagorically wrong or misleading, but this definitely is. CBD may not be habit forming or cause dependency, but it also doesn't have anywhere near the therapeutic benefits that something like methadone does when used properly for detox or maintenance
Not according to former MLB pitcher David Wells.
CBD got him off vicodin permanently. He had been on Vikes for almost 10 years straight:

Yes, he is definitely the kind of knowledgeable person who understands opioid use disorder we should listen to 8)

Mind you, I'm NOT saying that ORT is appropriate for everyone. I am saying that saying CBD is more effective than methadone or buprenorphine is HIGHLY misleading and in no way a factually accurate statement.

CBD may work well to control some people's pain and help them transition off their opioid pain medication, but it most definitely is not anywhere near superior (or even remotely comparable) to ORT when it comes to treating moderate to severe opioid use disorder.

I hope I am just being thick and that was meant to be funny :\

But let me try to be crystal: CBD may very well be more appropriate medication for the above user given their particular circumstances. By the same token however, given the the specifics of their particular situations, CBD would be entirely inappropriate for someone who would benefit more from treatment with ORT.

CBD and ORT are totally different treatments used to address totally difference situations. Nothing about them is particularly comparable.

Methadone is a cruel cruel mistress, i advise highly against using it for ANYBODY! seriously, unless you plan on being dependent on another opiate for years starting methadone is a HORRIBLE mistake. HORRIBLE! its bad for you, bad for your liver. it lives inside of your bone marrow and fat. if you ever wanted to quit on your own it is damn hard, i just did it. and its one of the only opiates that can cause such bad heart problems from withdrawals that it can kill you. getting off heroin and getting onto methadone does NOT make you clean, you are simply substituting one opiate for another. a more dangerous habit forming one. when i withdrew from methadone i KNEW i would NEVER get back on it as long as i lived. You can tell through the withdrawals just how horrible methadone is. So unless your willing to bow down to it for years DO NOT START! I wrote this post for people who are tired of being addicted to opiates and tired of living in pain through the withdrawals and the mental side effects of opiates NOT for people who want a crutch to stand on for the rest of their lives. SO if you are done being opiates slaves and your willing to put in the work and pain through withdrawal and lead a happier healthier life without the help of medication, I believe CBD and the rest of the cannabis plant are 100 the way to go. they will help you get through the physical and mental side effects of eliminating opiates from you life and when your done you will not have a physical or mental dependency on it. Mind you being clean is not for the weak or faint of heart, so if you are content with having to have methadone to live, then this forum is defiantly not for you.

It's true that methadone is serious business. But it's important to consider the alternative...for most people considering methadone, the alternative is being beholden to an iffy supply of narcotics and all the danger that comes with opioid misuse. Methadone has a very strong clinical record (to the extent that any medication does) when it comes to treating opioid dependency.

Don't get me wrong, I love all my cannabinoids...but there's simply no comparing the effectiveness of CBD (or similar) to a properly administered period of ORT.

One other thing...regarding the video of the recovering baseball player. Can we please keep in mind the difference between an annecdote and medical evidence? If we confuse sporadically chosen personal stories with actual clinical data, we really do a disservice to people who rely on this forum for help making serious medical decisions.

Methadone is a cruel cruel mistress, i advise highly against using it for ANYBODY! seriously, unless you plan on being dependent on another opiate for years starting methadone is a HORRIBLE mistake. HORRIBLE! its bad for you, bad for your liver. it lives inside of your bone marrow and fat. if you ever wanted to quit on your own it is damn hard, i just did it. and its one of the only opiates that can cause such bad heart problems from withdrawals that it can kill you. getting off heroin and getting onto methadone does NOT make you clean, you are simply substituting one opiate for another. a more dangerous habit forming one. when i withdrew from methadone i KNEW i would NEVER get back on it as long as i lived. You can tell through the withdrawals just how horrible methadone is. So unless your willing to bow down to it for years DO NOT START! I wrote this post for people who are tired of being addicted to opiates and tired of living in pain through the withdrawals and the mental side effects of opiates NOT for people who want a crutch to stand on for the rest of their lives. SO if you are done being opiates slaves and your willing to put in the work and pain through withdrawal and lead a happier healthier life without the help of medication, I believe CBD and the rest of the cannabis plant are 100 the way to go. they will help you get through the physical and mental side effects of eliminating opiates from you life and when your done you will not have a physical or mental dependency on it. Mind you being clean is not for the weak or faint of heart, so if you are content with having to have methadone to live, then this forum is defiantly not for you.

If anyone wants to point out the myths and misconceptions about methadone displayed in this post, feel free. Otherwise I will dissect this when I have the chance later.

Methadone, as maintenance, is definitely not something that should be taken lightly. It requires a huge commitment on the part of the patient. For a lot of patients this is actually very necessary and helpful however.

This post highlights how incredibly little is understood by the average person, even the avergae methadone patient, about how ORT works and how it is correctly used.

It sounds like you thought methadone would be easy, pain free, a quick fix. Methadone is not for those unwilling to commit to their log term recovery.

You sound like me and how I used to talk about 12 step stuff before I gained the ability to think more broadmindedly. Disrance helps with seeing things more clearly sometimes.

your defiantly right, i had a surgery in 2015 that started my dependency on opiates and i was tired of it and i turned to methadone to try to help me get through the withdrawals and get off of them, i went in very unknowing about what i was about to do to myself. when i was done with methadone i was done, the clinic called and told me they wouldn't taper me down until i went to more counseling but i was DONE. i quit going cold turkey and had no idea what i was in for, two weeks of 103 -106 temp but freezing. shaking, puking up blood, nose bleeds, rls, no sleep, everything hurt down to my finger nails. the only thing that got me through it clean was cannaboids. I had a bottle of vicodin and oxy at my disposal to help me get through but when i decide im done with something i am. your right maybe my personal experience with methadone has jaded how i feel about it, and it does help a lot of people i know. its just unfortunate seeing my friends go from one opiate to another in order to lead a normal life. i wanted to shed light on my experience and let people know its possible to do without the help of other medication and crutches. so if your like me and think your way to strong for this shit, definitely keep it in the back of your mind.

I still want to respond to some of your previous post, but in the meantime I wanted to express that however my comments might come across, I truly sympathize with you about your feelings. And it's not just because I've been through it all with methadone myself. More like a comrade in arms (in recovery) kinda thing.

Given everything you've been through, it would be rather odd not to feel aversive to the whole methadone things. Unfortunately methadone patients have to really fight to get the quality of care they deserve, on an individual level, and it's really unacceptable that they didn't give you more support according to your own goals.

Harm reduction programs are designed to meet people wherever they are, to help the more work to accomplish whatever goals they have however they feel comfortable doing so, and a lot of time methadone providers are unable to provide effective care for their patients given the strict regulations on how it is used. Although it is very possible, it is also really tough for the average person (someone with an extensive knowledge of and background in opioid use disorder and its treatment) to make the most of the current system.

Anyways, more later. I'm just glad you're feeling better. Two weeks is pretty much standard for acute withdrawal, and your having tapered over the years (iirc) definitely helped avoid the ultimate worst case scenario.

On a more personal note, some of what you posted earlier really struck a nerve with me. I mean, like made me downright angry. Why I have no idea, because I deal with the stigma, myths and misconceptions surrounding substance use disorder, and opioid use disorder and ORT in particular, on a literally daily basis. I think I would really benefit from exploring what it was exactly that got to me with your post as opposed to others. Maybe because it made me feel powerless in a way? Iono. But I'm glad I didn't respond in too much detail while I was angry, because I really appreciated your more recent post, as you demonstrated quite succinctly that you are not in fact the nutjob my angry mind was making you out to me :) anyways, enough about that. Moving on...

Please keep up the good work taking care of yourself in terms of non-drug use stuff goes. As youre clearly well aware, right now you need to get yourself super healthy for your upcoming child, so the more support you can find the better. If there is every anything we as BLers and staff can do to help support you, please let us know!

Question: how is your nutrition/diet? It probably is all the more important for pregnant women, but speaking to a nutritionist to find the optimum diet for oneself is an extremely useful thing to do in early recovery. Really getting all ducks lined up, especially as you're already working with your OB/GYN and I assume a GP on your health for new baby.

If you are interested (and can afford what I'm sure is a bit of a pricy program), there is a mindfulness based program for pregnant and new mothers I can share with you if you're interested. I found out about it through colleagues at UCLA when I was helping another pregnant mother deal with her drug use issues I think last year. Like I said, lemme know if you're interested. I feel like stress reduction after having just c/t'd methadone AND newly pregnant would be pretty important, but as someone who clearly isn't a pregnant female, what's do I know ;)