• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

CBD for opiate withdrawl

Please move this whereever it belongs. I was thinking about tapering off the bupe and seeing if cannabis had any potential to manage my condition which from everything I've heard from therapists and doctors is chronic pain from bulging discs complicated by opioid disorder. Although I hardly notice anything from bupe, I'm pretty sure it's not just a placebo effect that is keeping me relatively stable. Some of you here at BL know my background and are aware I'm older. I know it's true that aches and pains are just part of the aging process and I could very well be deceiving myself about insisting that that the pain is bad enough to justify bupe. Many of the people I saw in the waiting room at my pain management doctors office where obviously much worse off than me.

In the long term, I was thinking about tapering off the bupe and seeing if cannabis had any potential to manage my condition which from everything I've heard from therapists and doctors is chronic pain from bulging discs complicated by opioid disorder, with a little social anxiety on the side. My wife is onboard with this idea but Florida cannot or will not implement the law the the people voted overwhelmingly in favor of. At this point in time it seems they want to only allow a liquid formulation of cannabis which I guess is fine it it does what it is supposed to do.

Anyway my wife has begrudgingly authorized a trip to Colorado to gauge exactly what the potential is. I understand there is sativa and indica but the nuances of their differences is not clear to me. I've heard these Wanna edibles are better for older people. Any thoughts on if this is hype or true? Mainly I would be interested in something that could help with pain and sleep and I wouldn't mind if it improved my mood. I'm looking at this as a long term thing and if it did show some potential, I would be using cannabis after I got off the bupe. So I'm not looking at it as an adjunct to getting off bupe. I am not willing to risk taking any cannabis products across the Colorado border although I am curious in how risky this actually is if anyone wanted to chime in on that. I won't be in Colorado very long so any advice on how to minimize wasting my time on unexpected surprises are welcome from y'all. I know it's mostly a cash business and I know I must produce authentic identification.

I'd have to agree with toothpaste... panda really should not knock mmt like that. It is a rather broad and ignorant statement. Not to mention that it might not have been the best course of treatment for panda in the first place. It sounds that it was too harsh for someone who only started messing with pills in 2015. Mmt has been working wonderfully for me. I'm down to 60 from 110 and have been following the instructions of the Dr and counselor. Relatively painless so far... yes it is a long term commitment but atleast it's not a quick fix and all of my habits are changed and life is completely stable, normal, a good. Like all things in this world there will always be some people that will ruin it for others. It's not even close to being the same as trading one drug for another unless of course you weren't done trying to get high and ready to be on it in the first place. If someone is ready out there don't let that person's experience persuade you not to do it. It can be a very useful program if done the way it's intended to be done.

To FLA:
I'm not sure how you're Colorado trip makes any sense unless you're planning on being completely off Bupe when you go there. That is, if you plan on being on cannabis ONLY to see how that helps your pain. If you're still on bupe when you go I'm sure you will see a difference in pain levels when you add cannabis on top of bupe. As far as pain management, edibles are definitely the way to go. Indica dominant strains work best, but the people at the dispensary will ideally be able to point you in the right direction as far as what to get with the symptoms you're looking to relieve. Since you have no tolerance to cannabis, you'll want to start with a super low dose and work you're way up. Many people go to CO and try edibles for the first time and end up waaay too baked. When I first went out there after full legalization I had a decent tolerance to cannabis and in the spirit of celebrating its legalization I went overboard with the edibles and slept for 24 hours straight. Not the ideal situation when you're only out there for a short time.

I would never take methadone again. I was on it for 12yrs and I started trying to get off it in 2008. I wasn't fully successful until 2015 after I overdosed put myself in rehab and went to a halfway house away from my methadone connections. The first time I tried to come off was a disaster. I tapered the last 40mgs in a 60-90 day rehab at 5mgs a week. At around 30mgs-20mgs I got a weird effect. I would start getting slight withdrawal symptoms in the evening, just enough so I couldn't sleep, then when I would take my dose in the morning I would be more fucked up than I had ever been off my dose and I had been taking 180mgs a day at one point. I even started buying extra bottles off people and taking them once or twice a week. I remember sitting in a dollar movie theater all day drooling on myself from 580mgs but I digress. The other patients at the rehab hated me because I would nod out for most of the morning groups, unable to stay awake no matter how hard I tried. I eventually stopped the taper at 15mgs because it got so uncomfortable. I left rehab at 60days because I couldn't stand the insomnia coupled with their lights outs policy at night.

The withdrawal(fear) was so bad that I went to the hospital to seek meds. I was pacing so bad that the nurse told me I had to sit down but I literally felt like I couldn't. The nurse came back in with two syringes(I lied and said I was withdrawing from benzos2) and told me to lay down on my stomach and pull down my pants. She then promptly jabbed a needle in each ass cheek and pumped me full of something relaxing, probably Ativan. When I left the hospital I was given a script of Xanax and marched on over to Walmart to fill it. Well at Walmart the script took over an hour and a half to fill so I thought it would be a good idea to start stealing stuff(benzos make me klepto). I got arrested and spent the next 3 weeks withdrawing in jail unable to eat their shitty food or sleep. I literally counted 15 straight days of not one hour.

I got out after 23days and started drinking heavily untill eventually relapsing on heroin at about the month and a half mark. I soon ended up back on 40mgs of methadone at a private doc where I spent the next 8yrs. 5 of which were spent unable to control my compulsive dosing so I would run out 2 weeks early every month of the yr and either attempt a withdrawal or scramble to buy heroin to cover the gap. It was insanity and hell... I was stuck.. wasn't able to get off until I overdosed on heroin and entered rehab again. This time I was coming off of a 8yr benzo habit as well. Even worse withdrawal. I spent the next yr clean 6 to 8 of which were spent in severe paws. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Haven't touched methadone or benzos since. Would much rather take heroin withdrawal.. Just my experience but I can def. identify with Pandas sentiments. Most of what she said about methadone(bones and rotting teeth) was said to be a myth at the clinic but I believe I read somewhere about long term methadone drawing calcium out of your bones and teeth. I can attest that long term methadone fucks your teeth up. Everyone who was a long term patient had a horrible grill and I was obsessive about brushing. I went to medillan, Columbia for dental work, which ended this last clean run of 8months with $4 grams of cocaine and hookers, I had to get 17 cavities filled an implant and crown.

Not to mention how horrible I felt on methadone. I eventually became so depressed and apathetic that I completely withdrew from socializing. I couldn't feel any emotion except for an intellectual dissatisfaction with my life. I hated my life and was desperate to get off. I also learned about something called state dependent learning, which would explain(along with benzos) why I could barely remember anything of my years on methadone. I even forgot how to do a job I had done for yrs. Driving was also difficult for the first 4mths. I could never remember directions to this coffee shop that was a mile from my halfway house(ridiculous). I had to literally relearn everything in life once I got sober. I was also an incredible writer on methadone and I couldn't write a proper paragraph to save my life when I got off. I am just now slowly getting back the ability to put together anything decent. It was crazy.

Last edited:
I would never take methadone again. I was on it for 12yrs and I started trying to get off it in 2008. I wasn't fully successful until 2015 after I overdosed put myself in rehab and went to a halfway house away from my methadone connections. The first time I tried to come off was a disaster. I tapered the last 40mgs in a 60-90 day rehab at 5mgs a week. At around 30mgs-20mgs I got a weird effect. I would start getting slight withdrawal symptoms in the evening, just enough so I couldn't sleep, then when I would take my dose in the morning I would be more fucked up than I had ever been off my dose and I had been taking 180mgs a day at one point. I even started buying extra bottles off people and taking them once or twice a week. I remember sitting in a dollar movie theater all day drooling on myself from 580mgs but I digress. The other patients at the rehab hated me because I would nod out for most of the morning groups, unable to stay awake no matter how hard I tried. I eventually stopped the taper at 15mgs because it got so uncomfortable. I left rehab at 60days because I couldn't stand the insomnia coupled with their lights outs policy at night....

The withdrawal(fear) was so bad that I went to the hospital to seek meds. I was pacing so bad that the nurse told me I had to sit down but I literally felt like I couldn't. The nurse came back in with two syringes(I lied and said I was withdrawing from benzos2) and told me to lay down on my stomach and pull down my pants. She the promptly jabbed a needle in each ass cheek and pumped me full of something relaxing, probably Ativan. When I left the hospital I was given a script of Xanax and marched on over to Walmart to fill it. Well at Walmart the script took over an hour and a half to fill so I thought it would be a good idea to start stealing stuff(benzos make me klepto). I got arrested and spent the next 3 weeks withdrawing in jail unable to eat their shitty food or sleep. I literally counted 15 straight days of not one hour.

I got out after 23days and started drinking heavily untill eventually relapsing on heroin at about the month and a half mark. I soon ended up back on 40mgs of methadone at a private doc where I spent the next 8yrs. 5 of which were spent unable to control my compulsive dosing so I would run out 2 weeks early every month of the yr and either attempt a withdrawal or scramble to buy heroin to cover the gap. It was insanity and hell... I was stuck.. wasn't able to get off until I overdosed on heroin and entered rehab again. This time I was coming off of a 8yr benzo habit as well. Even worse withdrawal. I spent the next yr clean most of it was spent with pretty severe PAWS. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Haven't touched methadone or benzos since. Would much rather take heroin withdrawal.. Just my experience but I can def. identify with Pandas sentiments. Most of what she said about methadone(bones and rotting teeth) was said to be a myth at the clinic but I believe I read somewhere about long term methadone drawing calcium out of your bones and teeth. I can attest that long term methadone fucks your teeth up. Everyone who was a long term patient had a horrible grill and I was obsessive about brushing. I went to medillan, Columbia for dental work, which ended this last clean run of 8months with $4 grams of cocaine and hookers, I had to get 17 cavities filled an implant and crown.

Not to mention how horrible I felt on methadone. After yrs on it I eventually became so depressed and apathetic that I completely withdrew socially. I couldn't feel any emotion except for a intellectual dissatisfaction with my life. I also learned about something called state dependent learning, which would explain(along with benzos) why I had to relearn everything in life over again. I couldn't do a job I had done for yrs. I could barely even drive. I couldn't for the life of me remember directions to a coffee shop 1 mile from my halfway house and this was at 4-5 mths clean and having already been there a dozen or so times. I used to be an excellent writer on methadone. I could barely even write a coherent paragraph after getting off those 2 drugs. I am just recently getting back the ability to write anything.

Last edited:
^^^^ wow, thats a fucking crazy life you've led. Respect to you for still being alive and making it this far

^^Dude you don't even know the half of it.. I have woken up in jail 3x not knowing how I got there after attempting to steal shit in a benzo blackout... over dosed 8x just counting the # of times I've been hit with narcan not the ones were I woke up 4-5hrs later by myself.. I've totaled 5 cars because I fell asleep at the wheel(well I lied..1 of them my friend ran into a giant oak tree going 70mph running from the cops in a thunderstorm). Got in a hit and run while trying to drive and inject cocaine at the same time. When I took off I had the one and only stim freakout I have ever had. I could actually hear the police APB's in my head and saw the copters. I wound up getting lost and ending up at a mall movie theater like 25miles from the accident. I spent the rest of that afternoon watching Superbad in the theater tweaked out of my mind waiting for the cops to bust in. Also been stuck up at gun point 2x. All of this and a lot more without ever getting a felony or losing my license(all the totals were just me..lol..thank God). Damn just remembered another time that I was sold a bag of xylazine instead of heroin. That time I got in 2 fender benders from falling asleep at the wheel. Damn!! then there was the other time as a teen when I got fired from Starbucks by the base player from Flock of Seagulls(my manager..lol) for hitting a whippet in the bathroom after raving all night. "So I ran.. I ran so far away.. trying to get away". I then got in an accident on the way home hitting whippets with a cracker I had stolen. Love telling that story. I was just about to post in another thread the crazy blackout story that put me in the rehab the first time to get off the methadone. It involved a week long black out in which I stole my dads credit card and spent <snip> on crack.

I came to walking in the worst ghetto in Orlando not knowing how I had got there, when a black chick I didn't know pulled up in my car. I nonchalantly got in the car and was handed a crack pipe. I tried to play it off like I knew what was going on but then my dad called and started freaking out at me. I had no Idea why he was so mad and he literally had to explain to me why.. The black chick started laughing at me. I was so scared and ashamed to go home that I spent the next 3 days riding around with this chick selling crack and smoking the profits. I went to the methadone clinic on the wrong day because I forgot the methadone clinic had given me an extra take home for holiday. I had pink liquid all over my shirt(methadone). At the end of this run I am sitting in this dingy crack house kitchen, while this chick fucks this old dude for crack to continue smoking. I kept banging on the door for more while they fucked. So I am coming down off a week long crack run after blacking out from benzos for the week before that(more like 4 days), withdrawing from methadone and stewing on the knowledge of what I had done to my dad when I walk out to my car to go to the clinic only to find that the car was out of gas. I had to walk 2 miles to a gas station with a red gas can beg for gas money. Walk back 2 miles, drive the car back to the gas station to beg for enough gas to go to the clinic, which I barely made in time to receive the half dose they gave me due to my positive benzo urine. I even had to sit there for 3hrs while they observed me...lol

Also another accident that didn't involve drugs, well I was on benzos and methadone but relatively sober at the moment, Involved me getting drug by a Semi truck, who was trying to make a rt. wide turn from the left hand turn lane. The last car I totaled was just recently. I was all hung up on this girl, had just relapsed in medillian couldn't go back to my halfway house until I could pee clean so I was driving an 1 1/2 hours to work. Well I had been up all night the night before snorting coke and took a bunch of Phenibut all day and when I left work I was more resolute to kill myself than ever. I was just totally numb and despondent. I hadn't done heroin in 6mths and my plan was to buy a couple of grams the next day and overdose. Well I'm driving down I-4 hwy dictating in my head the suicide message that I was going to post on Facebook in a couple of hrs, when all of a sudden I wake up as I am slamming into a 50ft tall light poll going 75mph. It knocked the light post completely over. I wasn't even tired. My first thought was "damn.. I can't believe God just stopped me from being able to follow through with the suicide. I was actually pissed. I told the girl what had happened and she def. agreed that God had intervened... Reading all this makes me really realize that I truly am lucky to be alive and also begs the question but why? Must be some important reason. I was never even injured what so ever in any of these accidents except for the one where my friend was driving-air bag burn on face.

Also had 2 other suicide attempts for which I was hospitalized... Carbon monoxide.

As you can see I have been pretty wreckless in my drug usage.

There are so many more stories.. Sorry just realized I posted this in sober living. I will delete it if the mods wish.

Also back to the original topic of the thread I hijacked... Would CBD honestly help with opiate PAWS and general anxiety.. I enjoy pot btw but would like something non psychoactive.. I tried the vape oil once but I got extremely high from this particular bottle. I hadn't smoked weed in like 6mths and I gave it a whirl while waiting to go into work. I got so high I felt like I was in a video game. I even forget who I was for a moment. I looked up this brand and they had been accused of putting some rc cannibiniod.. Later found a thread on bluelight where people were saying it wasn't CBD.. I recently went to buy kratom and was intrigued to find that lots of CBD oils were sold at the shop..

Last edited by a moderator:
To FLA:
I'm not sure how you're Colorado trip makes any sense unless you're planning on being completely off Bupe when you go there. That is, if you plan on being on cannabis ONLY to see how that helps your pain. If you're still on bupe when you go I'm sure you will see a difference in pain levels when you add cannabis on top of bupe. As far as pain management, edibles are definitely the way to go. Indica dominant strains work best, but the people at the dispensary will ideally be able to point you in the right direction as far as what to get with the symptoms you're looking to relieve. Since you have no tolerance to cannabis, you'll want to start with a super low dose and work you're way up. Many people go to CO and try edibles for the first time and end up waaay too baked. When I first went out there after full legalization I had a decent tolerance to cannabis and in the spirit of celebrating its legalization I went overboard with the edibles and slept for 24 hours straight. Not the ideal situation when you're only out there for a short time.

twang, thank you for your honest feedback on my post, really! I reflect on any advice people here are willing to give me and give it serious thought. I suppose I could have left my bupe at home before leaving on this road trip. Being a relatively short road trip and given the long half-life of bupe I probably could have got thru it without severe withdrawals setting in before getting back home. It must be the psychological comfort bupe gives me that entered into my decision to bring it. Let me share with you that my behavior on this road trip so far has lead to my wife being unrelentingly critical of me. From my point of view there is comparative negligence going on here but talking about that is a battle I can't win. In my opinion she has a blind spot and is unable to see her own character defects but since I'm the one with a drug issues anything I say has zero credibility. I've done everything I can on this trip to make sure she enjoys herself. I'm paying for all the gas and hotel rooms, staying alone in the hotel room for two days to take care of our dogs so she could spend as much time as possible with my stepson while we were in Cincinnati. If I dare bring that up she counters with we're using my car and the wear and tear on her car costs as much as all these things I'm paying for. I'm not going to leave her. I refuse to get into verbal disagreements with her when I can restrain myself because it's pointless. If she feels she needs to leave me because of her view that she can't take living with me, it will be a fucking mess but I'll respect her decision and deal with it the best I can. So be it! There is no doubt my behavior can be erratic. I did most of the driving today and was in a hurry to get situated in the hotel room here in Kansas City. Probably because my thought process was so scattered after bering on the road all day (and my drug use), I lost my wallet. To say my wife was upset would be the understatement of the year. I told the lady at the frond desk I didn't care about the cash if my wallet could be returned anonymously. A small miracle occurred when the lady at the front desk actually found my wallet minus the cash in the laundry room. Before it was found my wife said the we were turning around and going back home even though we have come all this way and will get to Denver tomorrow.which just crushed me. I know my cryptokarmic talk is not well received but I try to look at the situation with my wife as her being my greatest teacher. You can't learn much about yourself being around people that won't point out your faults in my opinion.

Also back to the original topic of the thread I hijacked... Would CBD honestly help with opiate PAWS and general anxiety.. I enjoy pot btw but would like something non psychoactive.. I tried the vape oil once but I got extremely high from this particular bottle. I hadn't smoked weed in like 6mths and I gave it a whirl while waiting to go into work. I got so high I felt like I was in a video game. I even forget who I was for a moment. I looked up this brand and they had been accused of putting some rc cannibiniod.. Later found a thread on bluelight where people were saying it wasn't CBD.. I recently went to buy kratom and was intrigued to find that lots of CBD oils were sold at the shop..
CBD wont help with acute opiate WD's much, but yes it will help you stay off the junk once PAWS sets in.
Do a youtube search on "opiates and CBS" and just watch all the testimonials

twang, thank you for your honest feedback on my post, really! I reflect on any advice people here are willing to give me and give it serious thought. I suppose I could have left my bupe at home before leaving on this road trip. Being a relatively short road trip and given the long half-life of bupe I probably could have got thru it without severe withdrawals setting in before getting back home. It must be the psychological comfort bupe gives me that entered into my decision to bring it. Let me share with you that my behavior on this road trip so far has lead to my wife being unrelentingly critical of me. From my point of view there is comparative negligence going on here but talking about that is a battle I can't win. In my opinion she has a blind spot and is unable to see her own character defects but since I'm the one with a drug issues anything I say has zero credibility. I've done everything I can on this trip to make sure she enjoys herself. I'm paying for all the gas and hotel rooms, staying alone in the hotel room for two days to take care of our dogs so she could spend as much time as possible with my stepson while we were in Cincinnati. If I dare bring that up she counters with we're using my car and the wear and tear on her car costs as much as all these things I'm paying for. I'm not going to leave her. I refuse to get into verbal disagreements with her when I can restrain myself because it's pointless. If she feels she needs to leave me because of her view that she can't take living with me, it will be a fucking mess but I'll respect her decision and deal with it the best I can. So be it! There is no doubt my behavior can be erratic. I did most of the driving today and was in a hurry to get situated in the hotel room here in Kansas City. Probably because my thought process was so scattered after bering on the road all day (and my drug use), I lost my wallet. To say my wife was upset would be the understatement of the year. I told the lady at the frond desk I didn't care about the cash if my wallet could be returned anonymously. A small miracle occurred when the lady at the front desk actually found my wallet minus the cash in the laundry room. Before it was found my wife said the we were turning around and going back home even though we have come all this way and will get to Denver tomorrow.which just crushed me. I know my cryptokarmic talk is not well received but I try to look at the situation with my wife as her being my greatest teacher. You can't learn much about yourself being around people that won't point out your faults in my opinion.

Eik... makes me never want to get married. It would def be a bad idea to potentially withdraw on a road trip. I'd say your only options were to bring the sub with you on the road trip or get off it completely and wait a few weeks before going out there so you're not having to stop and shit every 50 miles and deal with a nagging wife while you're in the throes of WD. That would be hell. Sorry your stay in KC was so shitty. I've lived in KC my entire life and really want to move to the west coast or Hawaii. No money for that though. Guessing you're in Denver by now. Give an update with whatever goodies you get at the dispensary and how they work out for you. Hope it's worth the trip.

Eik... makes me never want to get married. It would def be a bad idea to potentially withdraw on a road trip. I'd say your only options were to bring the sub with you on the road trip or get off it completely and wait a few weeks before going out there so you're not having to stop and shit every 50 miles and deal with a nagging wife while you're in the throes of WD. That would be hell. Sorry your stay in KC was so shitty. I've lived in KC my entire life and really want to move to the west coast or Hawaii. No money for that though. Guessing you're in Denver by now. Give an update with whatever goodies you get at the dispensary and how they work out for you. Hope it's worth the trip.

twang, you are a remarkably good guesser. Same deal today 600 or so miles from KC to Denver, me driving the whole way mainly because I don't like her driving and she continued telling ever minor thing I did wrong the whole trip. I forgot to tell you I had 3 or so leftover proviigal's so I could get some road focus seeing as how I'm 61. Besides to cannabis laws, the Colorado mountains are so awesome place to visit. I don't know how much I should say because we just got here. I guess you are allowed to tell me the best things to get? I got a few edibles.

Amen for pot & dealing with serious, serious opiate withdrawal. I think I would have have killed my self by now if I wasn't able to access it.

Amen for pot & dealing with serious, serious opiate withdrawal. I think I would have have killed my self by now if I wasn't able to access it.

I feel you...For job reasons I've had to lay off my usual cannabis intake for a few weeks. It blows...my dope cravings are up like crazy.

twang, you are a remarkably good guesser. Same deal today 600 or so miles from KC to Denver, me driving the whole way mainly because I don't like her driving and she continued telling ever minor thing I did wrong the whole trip. I forgot to tell you I had 3 or so leftover proviigal's so I could get some road focus seeing as how I'm 61. Besides to cannabis laws, the Colorado mountains are so awesome place to visit. I don't know how much I should say because we just got here. I guess you are allowed to tell me the best things to get? I got a few edibles.

Oh man, the stuff you describe sounds so much like my ex-wife. That shit was miserable, I didn't see it at the time but it was emotional abuse. I was also an opiate addict during that period of time. Once we finally split up and she left, it took me 2 months to get off all opiates and I've never looked back. Made me realize how much of it was me covering up the fact that I despised and feared her, and convinced myself I was the one with the problem (since she was constantly telling me how terrible I was and would always win arguments through force, requiring me to submit myself and apologize and agree that I was shit), and thus I hated myself and my life.

Fortunately I've found someone else now who is wonderful, in 3 years we've never gotten in a fight (seems crazy but I'm not sure why we would). My entire life is so much different and better now (my girl is just the icing on the cake).

That was my experience anyway, take from it what you will.

Hey. I hear ya. Everything you said I second. Trying to get off a small amount just now. Its not my first time on the stuff. I can't believe I was so stupid as to go on this shit again. I am absolutely kicking myself for taking the chicken shit route. Should of just cold turkeyed off the smack. This stuff like you said, fucking kills your liver. The effects are rather unreliable too. Sometimes it makes me go crazy. It all depends on how it metabolised. Such a demon of a drug. Heavy on the system and VERY hard to get off. I hate the stuff with a passion now. Never again if I get off it this time. Never again will I let the medical establishment persuade me it the best thing to do. Aye. Best for them not for the addict. With a 36 hour half life it doesn't matter what dose your on, your levels are constantly going up therefore so is your tolerance. Its backwards way to try and get clean. Bullshit, total bullshit.