• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Here is some good SUBOXONE info to HELP YOU QUIT!

MBoxer511

Greenlighter
In response to a post on another website regarding Suboxone tapering I found there is a large amount of misinformation out there. I wrote a response to help clear out the wrong info and educate on the correct info about Suboxone and the process of getting off Suboxone. Before I go into any explanation I want to refer people to a link I found very helpful. This link is a 15 page article (from 2014) written by a DOCTOR. He is a doctor from South Florida who specifically focuses on Suboxone's effects and how he was able to successfully taper people off suboxone. It breaks down all the specifics of what part of your body is effected by the drug along with what helps with tapering and how to successfully come off it. This is based on his experience with patients and his own research.

Here is the link:

Detoxing Suboxone: Fear Caused by Lack of Knowledge

Here are some quick facts to know:

These are based on personal experience (I took Suboxone for 2 years starting at 8mg a day), lots of research and speaking with doctors.

• Suboxone has a HALF-LIFE of 24-60 hours. This is based on your metabolism, weight, etc. For simplicity let's just work with 24 hours. This means if you take 1 mg of suboxone today then 25 hours from now you will have .5 mg left in your body. If you then take ANOTHER 1 mg you will have 1.5 mg in your body (the 1 mg you took today plus the .5 mg left over from yesterday). By understanding this simple math you can see how the drug STACKS in your body. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that you take the SAME AMOUNT everyday at the same time!

• There are now four (4) types of Suboxone strips: 12mg/3mg, 8mg/2mg, 4mg/1mg and 2mg/.5mg. The larger number is the amount of Buprenorphine while the smaller number is the amount of Naloxone. For example: a 2mg/.5mg Suboxone strip has 2mg of Buprenorphine and .5mg of Naloxone in it. When you are reading (or writing) about taking strips of Suboxone keep in mind the strength must be written. If you read/write a post that doesn't mention the strength then the information in it can easily be MISunderstood. When someone says they have been taking 2 strips a day and have trouble tapering it must be written if those 2 strips were 8mg, 2mg, etc. Otherwise the information can easily be misinterpreted.

• Suboxone has two (2) chemicals in it: Buprenorphine AND Naloxone. Buprenorphine is the only chemical that binds to the brains opiate receptors and calms withdrawal symptoms. Buprenorphine is the chemical that has a 24-60 hours half-life and is doing all the work. Naloxone is only added to prevent abuse. Naloxone ONLY is effective if it is injected into a vein. When taken sublingually (dissolved under the tongue) it is broken down BEFORE reaching the brain. Meaning it has absolutely NO EFFECT. No side effects at all, it is like it was never there. It only exists and activates when injected to prevent people from abusing suboxone.

• Buprenorphine takes between 30-90 minutes to fully absorb and activate in the brain. This means that once you are in withdrawal you must wait up to 90 minutes AFTER taking your dose to tell if it is strong enough. If you still are withdrawing after 90 minutes you can take more. Repeat this process (waiting 90 minutes between doses) until withdrawals go away. Whatever the total dose was is the number you should take EVERY DAY. DO NOT TAKE MORE ON ANY DAY! Remember that Buprenorphine will STACK in your body. When you re-dose tomorrow you will still have HALF of yesterdays dose left in your body.

• Buprenorphine is MUCH STRONGER than other opiates. There is a large confusion about what precipitated withdrawal is. Buprenorphine has a stronger attachment to opioid receptors then other opioids. As a result, if you currently have ANOTHER opioid in your brain (such as oxycodone or heroin/morphine) the Buprenorphine will wrap around it. This means the Buprenorphine will NOT be able to stimulate the receptor (the other opioid is stuck in-between the receptor and the Buprenorphine) additionally the Buprenorphine will now block any additional opioids from coming in contact with the receptor. The result is being put into a state or withdrawal that can not be relieved with either Buprenorphine OR other opioids. Which leads to the next fact:

• You must wait AT LEAST 16 hours after your last opioid dose BEFORE taking Suboxone. The longer the better. 16 hours is a general rule of thumb for most opioid (morphine/heroin is a little less, oxy/hydrocodone a little more, methadone A LOT more [36-72 hours]). If you're not sure if it's been enough time go AT LEAST 16 hours and wait until you have reached withdrawal symptoms that are too intense to handle. That is the time in which enough of your opioid receptors are now free and exposed, ready to be stimulated by the Buprenorphine. Otherwise you risk going into precipitated withdrawal.

• What is "Precipitated Withdrawal"? This is the term for what can happen if one takes Buprenorphine BEFORE the majority of other opiates have left the body. It will cause you to go into immediate withdraw but will also block the receptors preventing any absorption of opiates in order to alleviate the symptoms. Thus causing a forced withdraw upon which there is no escape except waiting it out. This is why it is IMPERATIVE to wait at least 16 hours from last opiate dose BEFORE taking Suboxone. The best analogy I can think of to explain this effect is to imagine Buprenorphine as molten metal. It gets poured on the brain receptor in order to stimulate it then hardens in place. IF there is already another opiate on that receptor then the buprenorphine will wrap AROUND that opiate and "harden". Once the opiate has dissolved there will now be a void between the brain receptor and the "hardened" buprenorphine. Thus preventing the buprenorphine from stimulating the receptor AND blocking any outside opiates from reaching the receptor. In this scenario all one can do is wait until the buprenorphine has broken down to expose enough receptors that can be stimulated by opiates. However, due to the long half life of buprenorphine, by the time this happens one would ALREADY of finished going through the standard 72 hours opiate withdrawal.

• Taking an opioid sooner than 24 hours after your last dose of Buprenorphine will DO NOTHING! If you are so inclined to take an opiate while taking suboxone it will have NO effect if it is taken within 24 hours of your last Suboxone dose. This time frame can be as low as 12 hours or as high as 72 hours. It depends on the Buprenorphine dose and how long Suboxone has been taken daily. *Refer to the first point about Suboxone half-life and stacking. You WILL NOT go into withdrawal if you attempt this. Best case scenario the opiate will be effective, worst case scenario it will do nothing and you will feel exactly the same (and wasted an opiate). *Also keep in mind that IF you do feel an effect from the opiate you now MUST WAIT another 16 hours before taking Suboxone again to prevent precipitated withdrawal.

• When Tapering Off: FOR EXAMPLE: IF you are CURRENTLY taking 8mg regularly reduce your dosage by 1mg for a total of 7mg per day (a 1mg drop). Then (this is important!) STAY AT THAT DOSE for 5-10 days. On days 2-4 you will experience very light withdrawal as you body adapts. After day 5 you will feel the same as before you started. After 5-10 days you can decrease again and continue to do this until you are regularly taking 1mg per day or less. At 1mg per day or less you are in the range to be able to stop completely.
    • The numbers for how much to taper based on what MG you are currently taking is this:
      • 6mg or more: can go down 1mg every 5-10 days
      • 6mg - 2mg: can go down .5mg every 5-10 days
      • 2mg or less: can go down .25 mg every 5-10 days

During days 2-4 of a taper prepare to only have about 6-8 FUNCTIONAL hours in which you can work, run errands, etc. Plan to have these days land on a weekend. You will need about 14 hours to rest and take it easy until your system adjusts to the lower dose. Use this time to do LIGHT exercise and anything important to relieve stress. *

• It takes 7-10 days to fully recover after you stop taking Suboxone. After you quit (preferably once taking between 1mg - .25mg a day) you will feel perfectly fine for the first 48 hours (2 days).
    • Days 1-2 will have virtually NO withdrawal symptoms.
    • Days 3-5 will be the roughest. Prepare for acute: insomnia, muscle cramps, low energy and other flu-like symptoms. They will NOT be as intense as the first 72 hours of withdrawal from a regular opiate. They will be softer but last longer. It will come in waves of an hour or so of symptoms followed by an hour or 2 of relief.
    • Days 6-10 will be the up-swing. With each passing day the withdrawal symptoms will reduce.

Starting by day 5-6 the withdrawals will alleviate slightly more until they are completely gone by day 10. AFTER day 10 there MIGHT BE be depression, insomnia, etc. This is NOT because of the drug. This is related to psychological symptoms like not having a good habit of going to sleep and waking up at the same time. Not having things to do during the day to fill up your life. All of these are easily fixed by out-patient programs, 12-step meets or any other recovery based help.

• To assist with Suboxone withdrawal:
    • Melatonin (at a dose of 5mg or less) will assist with sleep and insomnia. Buy a bottle of 1mg Melatonin to test which dose is right for you. After taking your first dose WAIT 20 minutes with your eyes closed, if it doesn't put you to sleep take 1 mg more and wait 20 min. Repeat until you fall asleep. Now take that same TOTAL dose the next night.
    • Ibuprofen & Tylenol [200 - 600mg of Ibuprofen] and [500-1000mg of Tylenol] taken every 6 hours (and before bed) will greatly help with muscle cramps.
    • Imodium (preferably in liquid form) will help with any stomach issues.

REMEMBER these symptoms only last 7-10 days. NOT FOREVER! In order to make this as painless as possible WAIT until you have tapered down to between 1mg -.25 mg a day. Additionally put aside 10 days to withdraw. Take off from work, school, etc. If you do not want to tell anyone you are coming off Suboxone than tell people you have the flu. The symptoms and time frame are almost exactly the same as having the flu. Have some easy things planned to do during these days to stay occupied. Like some new movies and video games prepared, walk around the neighborhood, EASY errands to run, etc.

VERY HELPFUL SUBOXONE LINKS:

Link for ALL the over-the-counter medication (with dosage and time frame) to take in order to alleviate withdrawal symptoms:

Link for detailed MEDICAL instructions on what Suboxone is and how to come off it:

Link to OFFICIAL Suboxone website:

Please post any additional links and information. If you post about personal experience please be as specific as possible about body weight, age, suboxone dose, time frame, additional medication, relapses, etc. I would like to make this a reliable and informative thread for people to come to in the future.

Last edited:
In my opinion and experience coming off suboxone, I feel like because of its long half-life it self tapers out of your body.

i was sentenced to some prison time in 2013, and my county jail (thank god) allowed me to keep taking my suboxone as prescribed. The morning the prison bus showed up I took my last 8mg film. After arriving to the state prison I explained to the nursing staff that I was expecting a terrible WD from an everyday 8 year opioid habit. They said they normally don't allow inmates to take controlled substances, but they would make a temporary exception.

so for 10 days they gave me a Librium capsule in the morning. I have to say I was still expecting a severe WD, but to my surprise it was relatively painless! I have to believe that the almost nonexistent WD was because of bupes looong half-life.

In my opinion and experience coming off suboxone, I feel like because of its long half-life it self tapers out of your body.

i was sentenced to some prison time in 2013, and my county jail (thank god) allowed me to keep taking my suboxone as prescribed. The morning the prison bus showed up I took my last 8mg film. After arriving to the state prison I explained to the nursing staff that I was expecting a terrible WD from an everyday 8 year opioid habit. They said they normally don't allow inmates to take controlled substances, but they would make a temporary exception.

so for 10 days they gave me a Librium capsule in the morning. I have to say I was still expecting a severe WD, but to my surprise it was relatively painless! I have to believe that the almost nonexistent WD was because of bupes looong half-life.
Wow almost no wd? I mean I'm sure the Librium helped a bit but it's a weak benzo so you got pretty lucky. Most people couldn't come off 8mg Suboxone a day like you did. Even with its long half life.

Yes i was sure expecting the worst. But no yawning/watery eyes, restless legs, only slight diarrhea. I forgot to mention along with the Librium they had also put me on Remeron, so i slept nicely.

In response to a post on another website regarding Suboxone tapering I found there is a large amount of misinformation out there. I wrote a response to help clear out the wrong info and educate on the correct info about Suboxone and the process of getting off Suboxone. Before I go into any explanation I want to refer people to a link I found very helpful. This link is a 15 page article (from 2014) written by a DOCTOR. He is a doctor from South Florida who specifically focuses on Suboxone's effects and how he was able to successfully taper people off suboxone. It breaks down all the specifics of what part of your body is effected by the drug along with what helps with tapering and how to successfully come off it. This is based on his experience with patients and his own research.

Here are some quick facts to know:

These are based on personal experience (I took Suboxone for 2 years starting at 8mg a day), lots of research and speaking with doctors.

• Suboxone has a HALF-LIFE of 24-60 hours. This is based on your metabolism, weight, etc. For simplicity let's just work with 24 hours. This means if you take 1 mg of suboxone today then 25 hours from now you will have .5 mg left in your body. If you then take ANOTHER 1 mg you will have 1.5 mg in your body (the 1 mg you took today plus the .5 mg left over from yesterday). By understanding this simple math you can see how the drug STACKS in your body. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that you take the SAME AMOUNT everyday at the same time!

• There are now four (4) types of Suboxone strips: 12mg/3mg, 8mg/2mg, 4mg/1mg and 2mg/.5mg. The larger number is the amount of Buprenorphine while the smaller number is the amount of Naloxone. For example: a 2mg/.5mg Suboxone strip has 2mg of Buprenorphine and .5mg of Naloxone in it. When you are reading (or writing) about taking strips of Suboxone keep in mind the strength must be written. If you read/write a post that doesn't mention the strength then the information in it can easily be MISunderstood. When someone says they have been taking 2 strips a day and have trouble tapering it must be written if those 2 strips were 8mg, 2mg, etc. Otherwise the information can easily be misinterpreted.

• Suboxone has two (2) chemicals in it: Buprenorphine AND Naloxone. Buprenorphine is the only chemical that binds to the brains opiate receptors and calms withdrawal symptoms. Buprenorphine is the chemical that has a 24-60 hours half-life and is doing all the work. Naloxone is only added to prevent abuse. Naloxone ONLY is effective if it is injected into a vein. When taken sublingually (dissolved under the tongue) it is broken down BEFORE reaching the brain. Meaning it has absolutely NO EFFECT. No side effects at all, it is like it was never there. It only exists and activates when injected to prevent people from abusing suboxone.

• Buprenorphine takes between 30-90 minutes to fully absorb and activate in the brain. This means that once you are in withdrawal you must wait up to 90 minutes AFTER taking your dose to tell if it is strong enough. If you still are withdrawing after 90 minutes you can take more. Repeat this process (waiting 90 minutes between doses) until withdrawals go away. Whatever the total dose was is the number you should take EVERY DAY. DO NOT TAKE MORE ON ANY DAY! Remember that Buprenorphine will STACK in your body. When you re-dose tomorrow you will still have HALF of yesterdays dose left in your body.

• Buprenorphine is MUCH STRONGER than other opiates. There is a large confusion about what precipitated withdrawal is. Buprenorphine has a stronger attachment to opioid receptors then other opioids. As a result, if you currently have ANOTHER opioid in your brain (such as oxycodone or heroin/morphine) the Buprenorphine will wrap around it. This means the Buprenorphine will NOT be able to stimulate the receptor (the other opioid is stuck in-between the receptor and the Buprenorphine) additionally the Buprenorphine will now block any additional opioids from coming in contact with the receptor. The result is being put into a state or withdrawal that can not be relieved with either Buprenorphine OR other opioids. Which leads to the next fact:

• You must wait AT LEAST 16 hours after your last opioid dose BEFORE taking Suboxone. The longer the better. 16 hours is a general rule of thumb for most opioid (morphine/heroin is a little less, oxy/hydrocodone a little more, methadone A LOT more [36-72 hours]). If you're not sure if it's been enough time go AT LEAST 16 hours and wait until you have reached withdrawal symptoms that are too intense to handle. That is the time in which enough of your opioid receptors are now free and exposed, ready to be stimulated by the Buprenorphine.

• Taking an opioid sooner than 24 hours after your last dose of Buprenorphine will DO NOTHING! If you are so inclined to take an opiate while taking suboxone it will have NO effect if it is taken within 24 hours of your last Suboxone dose. This time frame can be as low as 12 hours or as high as 72 hours. It depends on the Buprenorphine dose and how long Suboxone has been taken daily. *Refer to the first point about Suboxone half-life and stacking. You WILL NOT go into withdrawal if you attempt this. Best case scenario the opiate will be effective, worst case scenario it will do nothing and you will feel exactly the same (and wasted an opiate). *Also keep in mind that IF you do feel an effect from the opiate you now MUST WAIT another 16 hours before taking Suboxone again to prevent precipitated withdrawal.

• When Tapering Off: FOR EXAMPLE: IF you are CURRENTLY taking 8mg regularly reduce your dosage by 1mg for a total of 7mg per day (a 1mg drop). Then (this is important!) STAY AT THAT DOSE for 5-10 days. On days 2-4 you will experience very light withdrawal as you body adapts. After day 5 you will feel the same as before you started. After 5-10 days you can decrease again and continue to do this until you are regularly taking 1mg per day or less. At 1mg per day or less you are in the range to be able to stop completely.
    • The numbers for how much to taper based on what MG you are currently taking is this:
      • 6mg or more: can go down 1mg every 5-10 days
      • 6mg - 2mg: can go down .5mg every 5-10 days
      • 2mg or less: can go down .25 mg every 5-10 days

During days 2-4 of a taper prepare to only have about 6-8 FUNCTIONAL hours in which you can work, run errands, etc. Plan to have these days land on a weekend. You will need about 14 hours to rest and take it easy until your system adjusts to the lower dose. Use this time to do LIGHT exercise and anything important to relieve stress. *

• It takes 7-10 days to fully recover after you stop taking Suboxone. After you quit (preferably once taking between 1mg - .25mg a day) you will feel perfectly fine for the first 48 hours (2 days).
    • Days 1-2 will have virtually NO withdrawal symptoms.
    • Days 3-5 will be the roughest. Prepare for acute: insomnia, muscle cramps, low energy and other flu-like symptoms. They will NOT be as intense as the first 72 hours of withdrawal from a regular opiate. They will be softer but last longer. It will come in waves of an hour or so of symptoms followed by an hour or 2 of relief.
    • Days 6-10 will be the up-swing. With each passing day the withdrawal symptoms will reduce.

Starting by day 5-6 the withdrawals will alleviate slightly more until they are completely gone by day 10. AFTER day 10 there MIGHT BE be depression, insomnia, etc. This is NOT because of the drug. This is related to psychological symptoms like not having a good habit of going to sleep and waking up at the same time. Not having things to do during the day to fill up your life. All of these are easily fixed by out-patient programs, 12-step meets or any other recovery based help.

• To assist with Suboxone withdrawal:
    • Melatonin (at a dose of 5mg or less) will assist with sleep and insomnia. Buy a bottle of 1mg Melatonin to test which dose is right for you. After taking your first dose WAIT 20 minutes with your eyes closed, if it doesn't put you to sleep take 1 mg more and wait 20 min. Repeat until you fall asleep. Now take that same TOTAL dose the next night.
    • Ibuprofen & Tylenol [200 - 600mg of Ibuprofen] and [500-1000mg of Tylenol] taken every 6 hours (and before bed) will greatly help with muscle cramps.
    • Imodium (preferably in liquid form) will help with any stomach issues.

REMEMBER these symptoms only last 7-10 days. NOT FOREVER! In order to make this as painless as possible WAIT until you have tapered down to between 1mg -.25 mg a day. Additionally put aside 10 days to withdraw. Take off from work, school, etc. If you do not want to tell anyone you are coming off Suboxone than tell people you have the flu. The symptoms and time frame are almost exactly the same as having the flu. Have some easy things planned to do during these days to stay occupied. Like some new movies and video games prepared, walk around the neighborhood, EASY errands to run, etc.

VERY HELPFUL SUBOXONE LINKS:

Link for ALL the over-the-counter medication (with dosage and time frame) to take in order to alleviate withdrawal symptoms:

Link for detailed MEDICAL instructions on what Suboxone is and how to come off it:

Link to OFFICIAL Suboxone website:

Please post any additional links and information. If you post about personal experience please be as specific as possible about body weight, age, suboxone dose, time frame, additional medication, relapses, etc. I would like to make this a reliable and information thread for people to come to in the future.

Bravo!!!!! This should be a sticky!!! I logged in just to say thank you for this awesome informative post on such a potent , misunderstood, drug !!

Hi, very new here. I came to look specifically for Suboxone tapering info and this is so much more than I could have hoped for.
In July 2013 I started Suboxone treatment at 28mg to 30mg per day, which I know now is a ridiculously high dose. I have voluntarily tapered myself down to one 2mg strip per day. Funny how it seems like my doc has persistently discouraged me from tapering down. It's almost like he's worried about losing a customer.
Your informative post has given me hope and a bit more courage than I had before. Thank you.

Z

Oh, I forgot to add...
I started Suboxone due to getting hooked on pain meds between three surgeries from 2010-2012. In 2013 I wanted to be done with the pain meds, hence going into a Suboxone clinic. I was too niave to realize that they would willingly let their "patients" substitute one addicive substance for another. It troubles me deeply to know that I have been hooked on Suboxone longer than I was hooked on the pain meds that I wanted off of.
Starting in 2015, my gradual taper from 28mg to 2mg took about two years. I know that once I am all done with this, I'm going to kick myself repeatedly for wasting so much time. But as I stepped down each time, I honestly didn't feel any WDs at all. The only thing I could really notice was a little more clarity and a much less foggy feeling in the brain every couple of months. It was a very welcomed feeling.
As far as my physical size, I am 5' 6". When I started Suboxone, I was 245 lbs. I am currently at 185lbs. Back in 2013, I was going through a very deep depression and ate very poorly, most meals being fast food drive-thru crap. I'm eating a bit more reasonable these days. Still having trouble with severe depression but at least now I have a few more emotional highs than before.

Thanks again,
Z

Thanks for all the feedback! One thing I want to point out is that suboxone STACKS in your system. This is the reason why it's easier to taper at high dosages and seems like there are no withdrawals in the beginning when quitting cold turkey (especially if jumping from a dose above 4mg). For example: If you take 4mg of suboxone every 24 hours, that means when you took your second dose (day 2) you still had 2 mg left in your system from the day before. So it may seem like you only have 4mg in your system at any one time but you actually now have 6 mg in your body. On day 3, the number cuts in half again. So now when you take 4mg on day 3 you actually have 7mg in your body (3mg left over from day 2 + 4mg taken on day 3).

Understanding this shows that if you only took 1mg a day for a few weeks you can easily be retaining several mg of suboxone in your system at any one time. This is why (except for when you start) it isn't really necessary to take such high doses on a daily bases.

If you want to accurately gauge what amount of suboxone you are tolerant too you have to wait 24-36 hours (or longer) with NO suboxone until you feel a level of withdrawal you can't handle. Then take .5mg every 30 min until the withdrawals subside. This will also help confront the fear of withdrawal. Whatever that dose totals too is your REAL needed dosage. At that point try to ONLY take that TOTAL dose AT THE SAME TIME ONCE A DAY. You'll be surprised that most people will fell the same on 2mg-4mg that they did on 16mg. This is because of suboxone's ceiling effect. At a certain amount the suboxone doesn't process anymore and you are just getting a placebo effect. That is why you can drop by LARGE amounts at first and only have taper slower after hitting 2-4mg.

Remember every time you drop in dose it takes about 72 hours to stabilize. You will feel VERY MILD withdrawal like slight fatigue that will go away after 2-3 days. Keep taking your new, lower dose, once a day at the SAME TIME for a week. Then repeat the drop again. Eventually you'll hit a dose between 1 to .25mg where you're body is too big to absorb enough suboxone to feel the effects. THAT is when you jump off. If you're not ready then stay at that dose until you are. Follow the guide above on what amount to drop by based on your starting point. Days 3-5 are really the "hard" days. If you can prepare for that then everyday afterwards well get better. Check out my guide on "KRATOM" or "MBOXER511 Thomas recipe" if you're interested on using that to help with the withdrawal period.

Oh, I forgot to add...
I started Suboxone due to getting hooked on pain meds between three surgeries from 2010-2012. In 2013 I wanted to be done with the pain meds, hence going into a Suboxone clinic. I was too niave to realize that they would willingly let their "patients" substitute one addicive substance for another. It troubles me deeply to know that I have been hooked on Suboxone longer than I was hooked on the pain meds that I wanted off of.
Starting in 2015, my gradual taper from 28mg to 2mg took about two years. I know that once I am all done with this, I'm going to kick myself repeatedly for wasting so much time. But as I stepped down each time, I honestly didn't feel any WDs at all. The only thing I could really notice was a little more clarity and a much less foggy feeling in the brain every couple of months. It was a very welcomed feeling.
As far as my physical size, I am 5' 6". When I started Suboxone, I was 245 lbs. I am currently at 185lbs. Back in 2013, I was going through a very deep depression and ate very poorly, most meals being fast food drive-thru crap. I'm eating a bit more reasonable these days. Still having trouble with severe depression but at least now I have a few more emotional highs than before.

Thanks again,
Z

Good for you for tapering down. Most people don't know that to able to prescribe suboxone a doctor only has to take an 8 hour ONLINE course to become certified. They also make an additional $100-200 per visit on top of the income for urine tests (to make sure you are taking the suboxone) and any kick backs from the suboxone makers for prescribing it. There are usually 2 types of sub doctors. Those that try to taper you off too fast and those that want to keep you on forever. Remember these doctors ARE NOT drug counselors! To them it's just a safer way for them to have a returning (drug dependent) customer after the crackdown on prescription opiates.

The advantage of Suboxone is that you can safely and LEGALLY get it. Along with it lasting a long time, thus freeing you up from having to always worry about re-dosing. If you use this time to get a job, go to school, start a workout routine, go to 12 step meeting, therapy, counseling, etc. then you'll have a fulfilling life already happening when you finally quit. THAT will make the difference between whether you have depression or not. Most people who said they had hardly any withdrawal or PAWS when quitting also had work, friends, family, etc as a distraction. I was always shocked how quickly my withdraw symptoms went away when I was having a conversation with someone. Just because I was distracted from focusing on myself. Having enough of those reprieves from the withdraw is what got me through the few days it took to really get it out of my system.

I'm curious about a couple of other things -

1. Is it possible that I might have different absorbtion levels of Suboxone due to not having a large intestine? I do tend to take Imodium regularly due to chronic loose stool since I no longer have a colon. Not sure if any of the med reaches the colon or if it is distributed throughout the body long before that.

2. I'm curious about the difference in tapering off Suboxone and the 'stacking' effect for those who spit out the med after letting it dissolve for 5 minutes or so. At the outpatient facility I went to, patients were instructed to spit out their remaining Sub after 5 minutes. I must admit that i have not been doing this; I let it dissolve for about 5 minutes then swallow, but I know that I'm not doing myself any favors by doing it this way.

Thanks again,
Z

I'm curious about a couple of other things -

1. Is it possible that I might have different absorbtion levels of Suboxone due to not having a large intestine? I do tend to take Imodium regularly due to chronic loose stool since I no longer have a colon. Not sure if any of the med reaches the colon or if it is distributed throughout the body long before that.

2. I'm curious about the difference in tapering off Suboxone and the 'stacking' effect for those who spit out the med after letting it dissolve for 5 minutes or so. At the outpatient facility I went to, patients were instructed to spit out their remaining Sub after 5 minutes. I must admit that i have not been doing this; I let it dissolve for about 5 minutes then swallow, but I know that I'm not doing myself any favors by doing it this way.

Thanks again,
Z

The lack of a large intestine would have no effect on suboxone absorption because it is taken sublingually (under the tongue) and absorbed into the bloodstream by the exposed veins in the mouth. It actually has a very low bio-availablity if ingested so swallowing it will have a similar effect to spitting it out.

Spitting it out is a horrible idea and I'm shocked you're facility did that. I can only imagine it was to prevent people from trying to "cheek it" and sell it or save it for later. The rate it is absorbed in the mouth is different for everyone (i.e size of mouth, saliva content, etc). The only way to get a grasp on the dosage one is taking is to consistently take the WHOLE dosage to ensure what amount is going into the body. It's also necessary to let the suboxone fully absorb in the mouth so you can have a reliable dosage in which to use for the "stacking" math.

I'm not sure how Imodium will work in your body without a large intestine. However (in a standard digestive track) the benefit is that Imodium attaches to the same opiate receptors in the gut that suboxone and opiates do. Thus providing relief. However it does not cross the blood brain barrier so it can not give a "high" or stimulate the brains receptors. This allows the brain's receptors to continue healing while the body's receptors can still have some relief.

This is great info.

I have a question or two.

Here in Canada we have a nasal spray version of Naloxone. Most people can get them free from a local fire station and add it to their first aid kit's. So it can be absorbed through the nose. Can you use this product say at your sixteen hour mark to ensure a proper induction.

Also if you start with only a low dose of Suboxone and stay there for a week before tapering would it be more successful.

This is great info.

I have a question or two.

Here in Canada we have a nasal spray version of Naloxone. Most people can get them free from a local fire station and add it to their first aid kit's. So it can be absorbed through the nose. Can you use this product say at your sixteen hour mark to ensure a proper induction.

Also if you start with only a low dose of Suboxone and stay there for a week before tapering would it be more successful.

The naloxone that is in Suboxone is only activated if the suboxone is injected. That's it's purpose, to prevent misusing the suboxone. It isn't absorbed at all if the suboxone is taken orally because Naloxone has an almost 0% bio availability when taken orally.
Naloxone (if taken in a nasal spray) also has a VERY SHORT half life. About 30-80 minutes. Usually within a few hours it is completely gone from the system. Technically it frees all the receptors of opioids so one could take any opiate soon afterwards and feel the effects. However a general rule of thumb with Suboxone is that a minimum of 16 hours is best to reduce the risk of any precipitated withdrawal. Once someone gets caught in precipitated withdrawal there is no turning back and they must tough it out for a day or 2 until the buprenophine breaks down.

Yes, start with the lowest dose possible. This is also important because of the stacking effect. If you took 1mg today then another 1mg tomorrow you'd actually have around 1.5mg in your system (due to the long half life). For a quick taper I would take .5 to 1mg, wait 1 hour then take another 50% of the dose every hour until symptoms are gone. Then the next 2-3 days take that same dose every 24 hours or split in half every 12 hours. After 2-3 days take 75-50% of that dose once a day for 2-3 days. Finally switch to every other day for another 4-6 days. At that point all NON buprenophine opiates have been fully flushed from the system yet tolerance for the buprenophine has not begun. There will then be a longer but milder withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms for suboxone usually do not begin until 48 hours after the last dose and will slowly subside over the course of 5 days. Symptoms are more akin to low energy and low grade muscle aches. Good rule of thumb while withdrawing is to assume after waking up you will have about 6 hours a day in which you'll be able to function at work or run errands. After that point the lethargy will come on. You will then need the rest of the time to relax, rest, eat and heal. Every 1-2 days you'll gain a couple more hours of energy until you're back to normal (physically).

Thanks for the reply.

I have kept my suboxone use very low from the start. In the first 3 days I only use about 4mg and a spread that out over the days. Roy a crumb or two when I needed it. 2 days ago I set my schedule and only used 1mg every 24hours. Today I began to feel the energy drop that you mentioned. Also a few minor symptoms of WD, but nothing like before. On Wednesday I will cut to 0.5mg for another week and drop again. I hope to step off in 2 weeks or so.

I also have a LOT of experience with peptides and I am going to add two of them used SubQ. Semex And Selank (google or wiki them) are two products to help balance brain chemistry. Some of the issues with long term opiod use and addiction is our bodies stop producing many of these chemicals. Having the suboxone on the receptors help as it doesn't mimic as many of those chemicals, but they are still slow to recover. The peptides will help with this and help reduce that long process of recover to "Feeling Normal". I may also add hgh (human growth hormone) to help with the healing. Since I have easy access and none of them are black market items will make it easy.

I will keep posting and updating here. I am also taking notes to use later.

I appreciate you taking the time to construct this little guide OP. I'll admit that I didn't have time to read and fully digest the entirety of the material. It all seems to be pretty legitimate, but there's one thing that jumped out at me as I was skimming and that was your statement that Naloxone has no effect on folks when taken by ROA's other than injection. While it's true that as an antagonist, it seems to at least be irrelevant when Buprenorphine is at play, but that's only because Buprenorphine has very high binding affinity itself. You'll find evident that some of the Naloxone is effecting people, as some are allergic to Suboxone (Buprenorphine/Naloxone) while Subutex (Buprenorphine) produces no side effects.

It's definitely difficult to get to the truth regarding Buprenorphine prescribing. There's a lot of literature out there that states Naloxone as a component of Suboxone is important and necessary, but it would seem that the Pharma industry is conducting a of the testing themselves, which make the results pretty dubious. In most of the developed world, they use Buprenorphine without Naloxone and there doesn't seem to be any significant issue.

I to had the same story. And tapered a few times went back to the past few years. But now I'm clean 9 days off subxone. I would say it's the worse withdrawals ever but it's doable! Every day I am getting energy back! Day 1-2 nothing I thought I was fine, day 3 achey started sweating that night! Day 4-5 irritable sweatiness chills uncontrollable sneezing felt like flu! Went to vitamin shop for B12 sublingual vitamins, Gatorade, multi vitamins, Imodium, Day 5-6 couldn't stay out of bathroom 14 times one day and 11 the next, awful only could work partly I never call out. But hey day 7 there was light and every day gets better! All I keep thinking is I won't go back now!