View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Acid vs. Mushrooms Opinion

Psychedalienation

Bluelighter
I was just sitting in my trade class reading trip reports and got to thinking about acid vs. mushrooms.

I've done LSD 3 times. The first time I went to the ER on only 1 tab having a terrifying trip because of bad set and setting. The second one I did half a tab and 125mg of MDMA. I didn't feel the acid and just rolled hard for 3-4 hours. The third time I took 3/4's of a tab and fell asleep before it kicked in. I woke up tripping and in a weird mindset. It overwhelmed me so I aborted with a Xanax. I should also mention I have smoked cannabis every time I have done LSD. Usually in large amounts. I fell asleep the third time because I was laying in my bed in the dark vaping weed.

I've done mushrooms 2 times. The first time changed my life. I laid in the dark at night with my eyes closed for the duration of the trip and it taught me many lessons and changed my life forever. The second time was done 2 days after that and I barely tripped at all and was sober in 2 hours due to tolerance.

Does anyone else feel like everything else is alien and weird/trippy on LSD vs. on shrooms where everything feels like home and very introspective? I just feel super enlightened and warm on mushrooms but on acid it's just weird and kind of scary.

So many people I know love acid for deep thinking and such. I can't see myself ever taking acid again unless I candyflipped.

Have I not REALLY experienced acid like it truly is? Should I try it in a better setting again? I'm thinking it's because I haven't done it in it's proper setting whereas with mushrooms I was safe and cozy in my bed where I knew no one could get to me and I was ready to learn.

What do you guys think? <3

Does anyone else feel like everything else is alien and weird/trippy on LSD vs. on shrooms where everything feels like home and very introspective?

Nope, most times I feel the exact opposite.

Have I not REALLY experienced acid like it truly is?

This isn't really a valid question; there's no such thing as experiencing a drug "like it truly is." If you have taken any active dose of a drug then you have experienced it, period.

Should I try it in a better setting again?

I personally think you should. Quite honestly, if you think you've seen everything a psychedelic can show you, either good or bad, just from taking it two or three times, then you don't really understand them that well yet. Have patience and don't give up on something if you really want to work with it.

By the way...

I should also mention I have smoked cannabis every time I have done LSD. Usually in large amounts.

...maybe try not doing this next time. LSD and cannabis have extreme synergy, possibly more so than any other two drug combination for me personally. This applies to both good and bad trips.... Cannabis can easily kick your trip into next gear no matter how it's going, in addition to changing your mindset to be like it is when you're high, which for most people, whether they realize it or not, includes at least a little bit of anxiety.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. :)

Yeah I'd drop the cannabis or only take a wee tiny bit of it (if it helps smooth things over). And really try to figure out what good set and setting means to you. It took me four or five trips on mushrooms to even start to figure out how I could maximize the positive aspects in the trip.

They are similar in some ways since they are both psychedelics; but they are both completely different drugs and will give you completely different experiences, and then you have to factor in set, setting, dose, and other factors.

Thanks for the replies.

I have an ok understanding of psychs and dissos. I have been researching them extensively for 5 years and have done a few of them (K, Mescaline, LSD, Shrooms, MDMA, DXM). I just haven't ever had a truly "good" exp with LSD. I've never had a trip where I've said "wow that was really something" except the one where I cried and ran around my city at midnight believing my friend was going to kill me while falling into the Earth from my mind and then getting my blood taken while tripping in a hospital and staying there in a hospital bed for hours and then waking up to 2 hyperventilating panic attacks from an afterglow. That was something.

I suppose my question was already answered. I need to have a good acid exp to be able to personally compare the two. I had an amazing shroom trip but no amazing LSD trip.

all the mind manifesting drugs do a similar thing for me intensifying the moment and making it linger over following moments.
it is a great big fat fullness of mind: ideas, sensations, memories, imagination layering and moving through time.
speaking of time: the sense of time passing is altered, depending on dosage, one may seem to have time stop, slow down, or even move backwards, not to mention uncanny sense of Deja Vu.

Aside from that, each drug has different amounts of 'sleepiness' or 'stimulation' and a slightly different spectrum of which senses are more enhanced than others (including memories of experiences with those particular senses) - probably due to the distribution of specific 5ht receptors in the cerebrum which has zones for primary sensory input and storage.

It definitely sounds to me like you just haven't really planned your trips very well so far. The first time was in a bad set and setting, the second time was a combination of substances (and, in my opinion, lowish dose) and the third time, IMO was not an ideal setting either (and again, basically a combination with weed, even though I know some people don't consider psychedelics and weed to be a "true" combination). While lying on your bed in the dark can be an interesting way to take a psychedelic I really don't think this is the way to get the most out of a substance with which you are not entirely familiar, and the same goes for combining with other substances.

In my opinion, LSD and other long acting psychedelics are not substances to really be taken on a whim. I would suggest trying again but this time plan out a day you're going to do it where you don't need to do anything else that day, get some music and fun activities ready or whatever you usually like to do when tripping, take 200-300ug in the morning, and ideally don't take anything else that day but if you must smoke weed wait for at least a good 4-5 hours until after you've peaked. This will give you a much better feel for the substance and I think you will get much more out of it using it in this way and will be far more likely to have a positive experience.

...As an afterthought, I will note also that if you know you are prone to bad trips and as you have had a negative experience before it would be smart to have some Xanax or other abortant on hand to bail if necessary. Also perhaps dose closer to 200ug than 300ug, this range is just what generally works for me and as you say you didn't really feel 125ug it makes me think you might have a naturally high tolerance.

Last edited:
all the mind manifesting drugs do a similar thing for me intensifying the moment and making it linger over following moments.
it is a great big fat fullness of mind: ideas, sensations, memories, imagination layering and moving through time.

I like this description. :)

I personally have never tried LSD or Shrooms, but I am planning to. I have done DXM which it can be a psychedelic (depending on dose and other things) and I learned to take it when you are not in a bad mood or you will have the scariest experience of your life. So, I would recommend (like Vastness said) some Xanax or other barbiturate to abort if necessary and be in a good mood in the first place. I also know that for the first few times it is good to have one person tripping with you and one sober person to trip sit.

I've never had a trip where I've said "wow that was really something" except the one where I cried and ran around my city at midnight believing my friend was going to kill me while falling into the Earth from my mind and then getting my blood taken while tripping in a hospital and staying there in a hospital bed for hours and then waking up to 2 hyperventilating panic attacks from an afterglow. That was something.

Ofcourse there is no way to be sure, but if I were you I would be open to the possibility that it wand not LSD on that blotter. Do you remember how long it took from taking it to be sober again?

Thanks for the replies.

I have an ok understanding of psychs and dissos. I have been researching them extensively for 5 years and have done a few of them (K, Mescaline, LSD, Shrooms, MDMA, DXM). I just haven't ever had a truly "good" exp with LSD. I've never had a trip where I've said "wow that was really something" except the one where I cried and ran around my city at midnight believing my friend was going to kill me while falling into the Earth from my mind and then getting my blood taken while tripping in a hospital and staying there in a hospital bed for hours and then waking up to 2 hyperventilating panic attacks from an afterglow. That was something.

I suppose my question was already answered. I need to have a good acid exp to be able to personally compare the two. I had an amazing shroom trip but no amazing LSD trip.
Try 2xald-52, 2xeth-lad, ~30 mg o-pce and ~30 mg 3-meo-pcp

Adjust the disoss based on what you like and your tolerance.