• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2017/2018 NFL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cam has always been strange and capricious. Way too big a deal is made over him doing the smallest shit. We have legit scumbags in this league like Jameis "The Rapist" Winston who are beloved by the public and media because they know how to put a charming smile on their face and never stir the pot, while the sports' zeitgeist goes apeshit on Cam for sometimes being moody, aloof, and saying mildly dumb things.

As for Gronk, I think he gets a pass on a lot of stuff because everybody knows he is legitimately stupid. His entire image is literally built around just how dumb he actually is. As such, he benfits from the total lack of expectations anybody has for him outside of playing tight end.

From the SI article mal3volent posted on Cam Newton said:
Saying it was “funny” to hear a female “talk about routes” escalated from a perceived, general dislike of reporters to a profound lack of respect for a female beat reporter asking a fair football question and women working in sports altogether.

Like, wtf is up with these hitpieces these guys are writing? How and by what logic are they drawing a connection between Cam's semi-occasionally chilly attitude with reporters and his admittedly mildly sexist comment, and somehow calling it an escalation? They are projecting this overboiling malevolence to his sometimes aloof behavior, when more than likely it is just a product of a little bit of immaturity combined with a need to put more emphasis on self-control.

His comment towards that female reporter wasn't some sort of passive-aggressive meta-game borne out of malice he is secretly playing against the media, it was mnemonic thinking. FFS, let the punishment fit the crime.

I should note that I actually give zero fucks about Cam Newton. I neither like nor dislike him. What triggers me about this scenario is the unscrupulous journalism, and the lack of nuance displayed by society. It's like the only two options are to hop on board the blind, uncompromising self-righteous rage train, or to be completely apathetic. Apparently engaging in critical thought and discourse are no longer options anymore.

Dude...thank you so much for writing that. You’re way more articulate than I am.

there's big differences in those two videos lol

the question gronk was asked, he didnt like

the question cam was asked was just some random neutral football question

you have to admit cam's reaction there was really strange. unless there is something behind the scenes we're missing

The main difference is Gronk walked out way sooner than Cam did. Cam’s time was almost up, plus he asked if there were any more questions before he walked off. Gronk had basically just started.

The last question to Cam wasn’t simply a football question. It was an underhanded insult disguised as a football question. And this type of provocative questioning had been going on a while. “Cam, do you and your team have the wherewithal to make big plays consistently?” Seriously? The wherewithal? Does that idiot have any idea he’s talking to the 2015 mvp who took his team to the super bowl just two years ago? They went 15-1 that year. They’re 9-4 right now including wins against the Patriots, Falcons, and Vikings. So yeah, I think they do have the wherewithal.

The other big difference is the media had a field day with one of these, and largely ignored the other. One guy intentionally attacked a defenseless man in the back of his head, the other dude is a little immature at times.

Oh yeah, and ones white and the other one isn’t...but I’m sure that has nothing to do with it...

Dude...thank you so much for writing that. You’re way more articulate than I am.

Thanks man, although I would say your posts are perfectly articulate yourself.

I feel like I have problems with brevity, and sometimes I try so hard to find the perfect word that I'm pretty sure I commit malapropisms out the ass. And my shit definitely falls apart and turns into run on city when I've been up on the Adderall too long.

Thanks man, although I would say your posts are perfectly articulate yourself.

I feel like I have problems with brevity, and sometimes I try so hard to find the perfect word that I'm pretty sure I commit malapropisms out the ass. And my shit definitely falls apart and turns into run on city when I've been up on the Adderall too long.

I can write pretty well if I try hard enough, I guess. I only managed to make it through two years at a community college if that tells you anything. Never lived up to my potential...always chasing one chemical or another. Your description of Cam as strange and capricious was pretty spot on, though. He has a heart of gold but even he will admit to being a sore loser, which doesn’t really bother me. He’s been maligned ever since he got here. Charlotte is a nice city but if you go 20 minutes outside in any direction it’s just like anywhere else in the South. I swear, there’s been people wanting to bench our mvp quarterback for years. They’d rather be a 4-12 team every season if it meant they could have a nice, wholesome white qb who didn’t wear funny hats.

new-england-patriots-logo-DA92E2D627-seeklogo.com.png

what a finish!

alasdair

I don't know, some fuzzy rules just took a touchdown away from the Stealers and let the Patriots win. ?? Still pondering that. Both teams brought it tonight though. And now the Stealers are down a guy. Nail biting till the end.

sucks when it goes against you. great when it’s in your favor. but you have to complete the catch and, in this case he did not - the ball came out.

alasdair

Lol. First statement Mr. Richardson puts out he’s already trying to drive our price up. Talking about how our stadium is in great condition like hes Crazy Jerry from Crazy Jerry’s Used Car Emporium.

Let me help you with that seat belt, young lady. Would you like a free biscuit coupon from Bojangles? Oh yeah, there’s more where that came from.

“Keep pounding.”

Yikes.

sucks when it goes against you. great when it’s in your favor. but you have to complete the catch and, in this case he did not - the ball came out.
alasdair

This instance side, there seems to be two different rules depending on what part of the field and who exactly catches it or doesn't. Not sure that would have been the same call before some of the rule changes.

alasdair

I wanted the Patriots to lose that game. I think the refs will rule in the Patriots favor 999/1000 times, regardless of the facts.

However...

If you go through the rule book, taking all the different factors of this particular play into consideration, it was an incomplete pass. The refs got it right. Case closed.

The Steelers had the opportunity to tie the game and go to overtime. I understand the “going for the win” philosophy, but for me, that was the wrong approach in this situation. Given how tumultuous the last few minutes of the game had been and being on our home field, I would have chosen to regroup, focus, and go for it in OT.

I wanted the Patriots to lose that game. I think the refs will rule in the Patriots favor 999/1000 times, regardless of the facts.
haters gonna hate.

The refs got it right. Case closed.
indeed.

i think that a lot of football fans are incapable of looking at the issue of bad calls (or anything for that matter :) ) objectively. but a quick search does suggest some research has been done e.g.

Are NFL referees really favoring or targeting certain teams?
Bias in NFL Referees
NFL referees fight back against accusations of biased officiating

plenty of perspective if you search. i'll let people draw their own conclusions.

alasdair

Everyone’s a hater to some degree. I’m not the kind of hater that denies or tries to minimize Brady’s obvious greatness. I legitimately do hate Gronk though, but really I don’t hate him I just hate the world we live in that lets Gronk exist.

Who are are you a hater of Ali? I know you’re a Cam hater, at least a little bit.

hate is a strong emotion and certainly not one i would apply to the world of spectator sports. i don't hate anybody in sports. i can find some players' behavior annoying but that is a far cry from hate.

alasdair

Nick Foles looked serviceable against the giants even though the defense laid an egg. We got the bye hopefully we end up with a weak NFC team in the divisional round and Minnesota in the NFC championship. Really want to avoid New Orleans if possible. I don't like the matchup with our secondary vs them. Hopefully it snows in Philadelphia for the division game to equalize the qb position. It's hard to imagine us beating a top qb in the playoffs

hate is a strong emotion and certainly not one i would apply to the world of spectator sports. i don't hate anybody in sports. i can find some players' behavior annoying but that is a far cry from hate.

alasdair

hate in the world of sports is typically used in a different way. Just like, I hate Louisville. I hate Duke. I hate Grayson Allen. I hate the Patriots. I hate the Cowboys. So on, so forth.

Loosen up brah

i'm perfectly loose. i just don't hate when it comes to sports.

alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.