• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

May' Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread vs. 'May the Flowers Be with You!'

So I'm in an area where I have no close friends who are not using.. The location is not famouse for having allot to do. I'm pretty lonely and bored.

A gave up the booze a few days ago after a failed run with that.

I have relationship issues that I have not dealt with from the past and they are bugging me.

I'm hoping I can find something decent to do tonight that includes some socialization.

Day five no booze no cigarettes, quitting chew mid july

Nice work NSA! How long were you drinking for? I take it you're pretty much over the initial hump from that after five days?

What if there isn't any socializing tonight - as you did say there weren't a lot of folks around right now who aren't using (not that one can't enjoy one's time with folks who are using, it's just kinda tricky sometimes) - do you think you'll still be able to find something enjoyable to occupy some of your time with?

Being lonely sucks. I have experienced my fair share of it and know this well. But it can also be a kind of blessing in disguise once one figures out how to work with it. It's possible to enjoy life and experience extended periods of relational solitude (well, to a degree I mean - perhaps I mean periods where there is little intimate contact; they're not necessarily easy, but that doesn't mean they have to be depressing either).

p.s. Five day no cigarettes is huge! How have you been managing that?

I must be quite difficult to go through this situation where most people you know is using. Not to mention without cigarettes! Great work indeed NSA!! :)

I moved away and now I am totally far in a place where there are not so much of opiates and my friends don't even have my DOC. That helped me immensely, but nicotine remained being a problem so I changed the way I used, meaning no cigarettes but still some nicotine here and then.

Thanks guys. Well past time for both of those to go. Last night went fine. I got a little upset over some issues I have with past relationships. But im going to wait a year or so before I make any decisions around that. Not like its really in my hands anyway and i want to let my emotions calm down and become trustworthy before I jump into that and make and big decisions.

I am waiting to hear about a big opportunity is a go.. and I have always had issues with patience. So i just need to work more on patience.

I got a new phone number and am finally distancing from some old friends until when and if they begin to live a life more like the one i'm building.

Still working on finding some good people to hang out with right now.

Im happy to be making these needed changes and am not surprised that my alcohol experiment failed. Feeling really pretty good 5+ days off the sauce. Took me a few slips to make it hear. I got like 59 days a drank for a few weeks and then made it like 1.5 weeks and slipped off for a few nights.

SO today is six. Had a decent crave yesterday and flew of the handle in a bit of a rage earlier in the day. Feeling good now.

Going to get back centered into recovery mode and keep it sailing there for the duration.

I was thinking of that for something else, but i figured out i do not need that. I'm doing this drug free and taking the total abstinence approach.

Day six feeling really good. Mid morning workout and accomplished some things this morning.

Good luck NSA! I believe you have been through much stronger / tough issues before. I know you have it in you, like you used to tell some of us. :)

Picking up my 9 months NA key tag tonight, i do it for the new comers here because this meeting is an 'treatment' meeting, so a lot of the guys here are still on their steps 1,2, and 3, and have 90 days or less.
Its a good keytag to add to my collection, it makes my 15th keytag (i have 4 from each of the fellowships HA, and CA).

After the meeting I will be going and taking a nice shower and going to chill listen to music and read.

So I'm in an area where I have no close friends who are not using.. The location is not famouse for having allot to do. I'm pretty lonely and bored.

A gave up the booze a few days ago after a failed run with that.

I have relationship issues that I have not dealt with from the past and they are bugging me.

I'm hoping I can find something decent to do tonight that includes some socialization.

Day five no booze no cigarettes, quitting chew mid july

congrats on your 5 days man :)

Thank you CH. :)

I hit up a NA meeting last night. Went well.

Going to give it some time and rework the steps again.

Nice work D's!!

Woke up today and am struggling a bit with giving up adderall . I have a script that i can call in tomorrow, but I really want to give this stuff up. It does not make me high anymore and causes some pretty gross behavior.

I need to call the Dr and let them know I want to do a six month trial run at not taking this.. i know its setting a six month relapse date, but it will also give me a little time to become stronger against it. Lately i have not needed it to get up in the morning so i'm really just getting it to abuse it.

I was saying i was using it to combat my coke addiction. This was true, but since it has turned on me i really need to drop it for good. Hard to make that phone call though.

Need to figure this out before tomorrow. First flip in thinking on adderall and thats because its available to me.

Day 19 no addy, Day 7 no alcohol or cigarettes.

Great work NSA! You'll have to cross that bridge (or rather not) tomorrow of course, but still. Sounds like you're tackling a lot of your challenges head on at the same time. Must be a good time to do so for you!

Three days for me.

neversickanymore: Best of luck in getting of the amphetamines.

Good luck NSA. I never felt bad quitting amphetamines. I never had any side effects or down sides to using. I'm still glad I don't use them now though. :)

Thanks CH.. Made the phone call to my Dr and told him not to prescribe me any for at least four months.. As long as sleep issues stay away I will make it perminant.. Actually will make it perminant anyway.

Thanks CH.. Made the phone call to my Dr and told him not to prescribe me any for at least four months.. As long as sleep issues stay away I will make it perminant.. Actually will make it perminant anyway.

Congrats, NSA. That's a big step!
<3

Thanks simco.. now i need to make this permanent. Just have make sure my sleep pattern remains good. Those things are pretty much off the table anyway so i'm not sure what i will do if it regresses back.

What was your sleep like while using amphetamine?

I don't like going to sleep, I hate sleeping in for too long, and I especially hate how I feel when I wake up. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy sleep the same way most people do.

I can relate to that. It took a long time until I felt good about myself. It's a matter of timing, part of the process. You'll get there! :)