• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Am I the only one?

kajoeyla

Greenlighter
I'm wondering if I may be the only one still getting oxycodone (30mg) from my doctor?

I was diagnosed with an autoimmune polyarthritis disorder about 7 years ago. I started getting hydrocodone (7.5mg) from my rheumatologist and over the years my dosages increased. I also took low dose chemo drugs to kill off white blood cells (since these WBCs are what's attacking my joints and connective tissue).

I am in moderate to severe pain all day. Some of the very worst pain is during the time I sleep and a few hours after I wake. My knees, hands, left hip, spinal joints and sacroiliac joints are all affected.

I am married and have 2 children. I'm married to my high school sweetheart and we'"" celebrate 13 years of marriage in a few months (and 20 years together in a few more). Without the medicine I would not be able to work. I would not be able to do many things with my children. It is truly a life changing medicine.

She knows all about my pain medicine intake (for the most part). Her mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis (a very similar condition to my Psoriatic Arthritis) and so she know just how debilitating this pain can be.

A few years ago I got a little bit messed up on these pills and was taking them more often than prescribed. I worked through it and now take quite a bit less than prescribed.

About 2 years ago I got super constipated and wound up in the ER. Several enemas and medications later, I was able to go. Over the course of about 4 days leading up to the ER trip, I started taking dramatically reduced doses so as to help reduce the constipation. It helped and ended up reducing my tolerance (along with some loperamide given by ER doc).

I still take the oxy every day. I just take less. I never told my doctor that I started taking less so I started saving a few pills here and there.

I still get them from my doc. I get 8 30mg pills each day. That's down from 12 30mg pills each day a couple months ago. I got 360/month for years and would take every one of them. Luckily, im now taking about 5 each day. The doc cut everyone in his practice down because of worry about the FEDs.

Am I one of the only ones still getting these at this dosage/quantity? I'm sure there must be a chronic pain group here. I am a member of a few other online groups and pretty much everyone I know there has had their meds cut back so far or cut off completely. They say they are responding to the "opiate crisis" but what they're doing is sending people to the street to get Heroin. Not smart.

Last edited:
I find this interesting since I know a couple friends who have their oxycodone significantly cut down by their doctors. One has muscular dystrophy and the other has herniated discs and arthritis like me. We're not youngsters either. (in our fifties) I believe many pain management doctors are afraid to prescribe higher doses because of pressure from the DEA. We do have a pain management mega thread in Other Drugs and one in The Dark Side if you want to join the discussion. Welcome to Bluelight!

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/793435-The-Pain-Management-Mega-Thread-v-7

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/521747-Chronic-Pain-MEGA-Thread

After a severe car accident that almost killed me, and having multiple surgeries, I have chronic pain and therefore a legit reason to get Oxy. My doc prescribes 168 Oxy IR 20 mg, and 168 Oxy IR 5mg per month. If I didn't have them, my life would be hell painwise. Fortunately, I have a boatload of medical evidence justifying why I need it.

I am in a constant battle with multiple doctors to get narcotics in my regimen. I have diagnosed congenital lumbar spinal defects causing moderate, chronic pain; i wouldn't classify it as severe but there certainly are episodes of acute exacerbation where walking and bending aren't possible. Multiple images to prove it. I also believe I have an auto immune disorder that is undiagnosed. The symptoms are just undeniable. Something like chron's or UC, perhaps RA - as it continues to develop I'm experiencing regular joint pain and stiffness plus a whole mess of other auto immune type symptoms.
I too am in the most pain in the morning. The sacral joint is severely affected.
Anyway, I am consistently being diagnosed and labeled as an addict or seeker, even though the doctors say they believe I'm in pain.
I'd kill for 60 hydros a month...and that's not nearly enough.
these days my dosages arent as high as some mentioned. For me to experience relief I need about 30mg hydrocodone or 20mg oxycodone, 4mg hydromorphone, 200+ mg codeine etc and this relief lasts about 4 hours. So at least BID, preferably TID dosing.

I am professional, married, and work in healthcare. I may have crawled out of the gutter...but that was a decade ago.
I am witnessing extreme fear of and pressure from the DEA. I was in fact told "you need these meds but I won't prescribe them because it isn't worth losing my job" by my doc. so I'm prescribed a boatload of other meds to avoid opioids - carbamates and benzos mainly...not by choice.
there's a few bright and shiny brand new anti Rx narcotic billboards in town, not to mention the ads popping up on social media.

I'm near the point of not functioning because of this. I should mention that i did used to recieve inadequate pain management, but better than nothing.
Thank god for kratom...hopefully that doesn't get taken as well.

sorry for the rant.
Ya, I think you're one of the lucky pain patients that still gets treated with dignity and respect.

Last edited:
No I don?t take any extended release.

I used to take OxyContin and oxycodone. But the OxyContin was very expensive per pill and so at my request the doc cut the extended release medicine and increased the fast acting.

Unbelievable! I'm in my mid 60s and have been on opiates for over 15 years and have severe pain 24/7, and the most my pain doctor will give is 4 10mg oxycodone IR's a day.

I'm wondering if I may be the only one still getting oxycodone (30mg) from my doctor?

I was diagnosed with an autoimmune polyarthritis disorder about 7 years ago. I started getting hydrocodone (7.5mg) from my rheumatologist and over the years my dosages increased. I also took low dose chemo drugs to kill off white blood cells (since these WBCs are what's attacking my joints and connective tissue).

I am in moderate to severe pain all day. Some of the very worst pain is during the time I sleep and a few hours after I wake. My knees, hands, left hip, spinal joints and sacroiliac joints are all affected.

I am married and have 2 children. I'm married to my high school sweetheart and we'"" celebrate 13 years of marriage in a few months (and 20 years together in a few more). Without the medicine I would not be able to work. I would not be able to do many things with my children. It is truly a life changing medicine.

She knows all about my pain medicine intake (for the most part). Her mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis (a very similar condition to my Psoriatic Arthritis) and so she know just how debilitating this pain can be.

A few years ago I got a little bit messed up on these pills and was taking them more often than prescribed. I worked through it and now take quite a bit less than prescribed.

About 2 years ago I got super constipated and wound up in the ER. Several enemas and medications later, I was able to go. Over the course of about 4 days leading up to the ER trip, I started taking dramatically reduced doses so as to help reduce the constipation. It helped and ended up reducing my tolerance (along with some loperamide given by ER doc).

I still take the oxy every day. I just take less. I never told my doctor that I started taking less so I started saving a few pills here and there.

I still get them from my doc. I get 8 30mg pills each day. That's down from 12 30mg pills each day a couple months ago. I got 360/month for years and would take every one of them. Luckily, im now taking about 5 each day. The doc cut everyone in his practice down because of worry about the FEDs.

Am I one of the only ones still getting these at this dosage/quantity? I'm sure there must be a chronic pain group here. I am a member of a few other online groups and pretty much everyone I know there has had their meds cut back so far or cut off completely. They say they are responding to the "opiate crisis" but what they're doing is sending people to the street to get Heroin. Not smart.
Well, it’s happened. About a year ago my doctor was raided and shut down by the feds. He still has t been indicted though. I was told that the DEA was looking at my file in particular in addition to a few others.
My meds have been cut significantly since the previous post. I now get 165 15mg oxy tablets each month. That’s down from 180 about 6 months ago. He keeps wanting to lower the amount and I fight like hell each time he brings it up.
Just today I got cervical injections into my neck. That hurts like hell! Way worse that medial branch block injections.
Anyway. Just wanted to let everyone know that. I know I’m still fortunate to get anything. I am one of the lucky ones that has both diagnosed painful disorders AND imaging to confirm the disorders and pain. I’m aware that may people have both of these and still cannot get relief. To you, I say I am truly sorry.

I understand your pain medication use history from what you wrote kajoeyla, but you didn't write anything about physical therapy, that may help others here respond to your posts better. Have you been doing physical therapy too with your pain management doctor in the loop?

I understand your pain medication use history from what you wrote kajoeyla, but you didn't write anything about physical therapy, that may help others here respond to your posts better. Have you been doing physical therapy too with your pain management doctor in the loop?
Sorry I never saw this. Yes I tried so many rings. Physical therapy including stretches, swimming, exercises, TENS, massage, muscular injections, joint injections and much more.

the doctor I mentioned recently killed himself. So sad.

I now believe I have EDS. And I’m pretty sure my son has it too. We both have testing coming up soon.