• herbavore

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • katmeow

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
this round's theme is architecture. vote for your favorite ...

toothpastedog

Sadie

RSZHm24.jpg

socko

TWPwaJq.jpg

spacejunk

4OqOX68.jpg

Klue

32875353670_6a5a6b6e79_c.jpg

hydroazuanacaine

herbavore

katmeow

701be234-4855-4d86-9176-a46f3a63be31_zpslgwbzl7n.jpg

poll will be open until march 23

Next Round's Theme: travel/vacation suggested by animal_cookie

Last edited:
bump. we're going to take submissions until 2 weeks after the first is received. this is a cool topic that's easy to participate in.

i hope to have mine scanned and posted this weekend.

Does anybody have a tilt-shift lens? Is there open-source software that corrects for converging vertical lines? I architectural photos, but they are ruined by perspective distortion.

^this would probably work for yea ...
NSFW:
tumblr_om5ou8ga301w68zzco1_1280.png

plenty of movements on that bad boy. instruction manual is only 224 pages (The Camera, ansel adams).

if you're serious about open source software, gimp. also comes with steep learning curve. i used it for a month or so before getting photoshop. it is the alternative. like photoshop, it will do anything you have the knowledge base to command.

nice submission, toothpastedog.

Last edited:
Thanks :) much better quality than the rushed photo I submitted last time. I just hope we get to see some photos of Notre Dame or Paris or something from socko. That would make me very happy indeed!

And I too enjoyed using gimp, it's just that I'm so much more familiar with PS. It is kinda of sad, because I loath Adobe, but such is life...

Last edited by a moderator:
That camera looks like fun. Do you use one?

I didn't realize Gimp could do perspective corrections. Could it fix the leaning towers of Notre Dame? I want to get rid of the angled lines and make them strait up and down.This is the perspective distortion I'm referring to.
38ikM3t.jpg

^this would probably work for yea ...
NSFW:
tumblr_om5ou8ga301w68zzco1_1280.png

plenty of movements on that bad boy. instruction manual is only 224 pages (The Camera, ansel adams).

if you're serious about open source software, gimp. also comes with steep learning curve. i used it for a month or so before getting photoshop. it is the alternative. like photoshop, it will do anything you have the knowledge base to command.

nice submission, toothpastedog.

yes and no. it's my camera. i've read up on the basics and taken pictures with it. but i'm yet to develop one of those shots. i loaded film holders and took shots. then i painted my darkroom before developing, and while it's dark enough for printing i need to fix the seal on the window before opening undeveloped film in there. 4x5 is naked, individual sheets that come in a box like photo paper. nothing to protect the film like 35mm in a canister or 120 rolled with backing paper.

gimp can create distortions that look perspective corrections. i doubt it's easy -- putting it lightly -- but with youtube and google anything's possible. while i'm not sure how it works, it will likely be practically impossible to not also distort those branches. best of luck if you try. if not or if it doesn't work out, shot looks great as is. when you first run gimp it says it's doing something with fonts and seems like it's frozen. it's not. it can take an hour to open the first time.

I really should go down and get a better shot, it is a contest after all. This is my building. ( my favourite local building and one that myself and my community are trying to save) I love this building. Sadly it's dilapidated and desperate need of love.

RSZHm24.jpg

Last edited:
I had so much fun staying in a little place in Ile San Louis as a young adolescent and getting totally lost in Paris one day. If only I could have appreciated just how lucky I was to get to experience that at the time, but it was still pretty fucking wonderful.

I like your second shot of Notre Dame more than the first TBH socko, but that is because of personal bias ;)

Would really crap architecture be all good? Theres heaps of badly designed shit here. More funny and awkwadd than awesome

Shit yeah, show us some bad perth architecture. As a cautionary tale.

This is a notorious old gaol near my house.
Now being made into apartments :\

9kp2sl.jpg

Are you trying to make a statement about your feelings with what they're doing tearing down that beautiful old building with the orientation of that photo spacejunk? ;)

It also kills me when people tear down grand old artifacts, whether a building or an olive grove, just to build some new concrete flats or parking lot :\

Would really crap architecture be all good? Theres heaps of badly designed shit here. More funny and awkwadd than awesome

Absolutely!!! :D

I couldn't avoid the arial being there, unfortinately.

My interest is so much that it's a beautiful building - to me it's creepy as hell.
Some of Australia's most folkloric outlaws were imprisoned there (and australians revere certain convicts haha), so...i don't know - it's just a weird justaposition to go from somewhere guys were locked up to being a block of expensive apartments.

I like sadie's building. That's wild.

I was referring to how the photo seems to be posted upside-down. For some reason it really is messing with my head having the blue sky bellow the green grass. I kinda like that antenna thingy, adds a WWII-eque vibe.

it's only upside down on some browsers or operating systems. its right side up on my ios phone.

there's a term for the history of a property negatively affecting its current value due to sentiments similar to what you describe, spacejunk. i don't know what that term is. cool structures. cool photos.

Sadie - Scotland amazing :) and socko - France amazing :)

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

32875353670_6a5a6b6e79_c.jpg

Very hypnotic indeed :)

Now we have Perth, Queensland, Scotland and Paris represented, and the foothills of Southern California ;)