favorite art movement?

went_to_paradise

Bluelighter
Just want to know what everyone's fav art movement/artist is? I like surrealism, DaDa & pretty much all of the post-modern work. Anyone have any art theory of your own you are currently working on?

Cubism - Picasso, Braque. Theres just so many viewpoints, everytime you look at it you notice more shapes/colour/movement.

Surrealism - Magritte, Ernst. Images of dream like state. Theres so many metaphors in just one image. The paintings are never structured like a portrait, but placed in unordinary positions.

And my all time classic
Renaissance - Da Vinci, Michelangelo. Theres something "God" like and angelic about these art works. Don't matter is it's on a ceiling or on canvas. I love the classical antiquity.

Also a fan of Andy Warhol, though some of the pop art can get overbearing for me.

I believe that the individual movements of art are no better than each other than different teeth in a row. Art is something that can take a thousand forms, none of which are inherently better than any others. If you must have an answer from me, I guess I'd go with the movement of my favorite artist, Donald Roller Wilson, which is Surrealism.

it's hard to pick one....

'happenings' were pretty fucking sweet

also 'assemblage' (junk sculpture)

and postmodernism maybe more new genre than postmodernism, i really like sound sculptures etc.

dada is fucking great, it has the most humor out of all art, IMO

DaDa is one of the few artists to inspire an art movement of his own ( DaDa-ism ) I'm a fan of most art, period. I enjoy everything from the great Dutch Masters to comic books and tattoo art. I agree with Riot Grrrl, the art of the Renaissance Masters does have a quality that is unsurpassed in the art world, Rembrandt was probably the greatest painter of all time. The quailty of his work and the true mastery of the medium he worked in, isn't wholly evident until you are face to face with one of his works. Once you see one, you'll see what I mean. There are others that come VERY close, but only he is the true master. The mastery is in the way he used light and shadow so effectively and transfered it to the canvas. Very few artists of any age have been able to fool the eye the way he does, some of his paintings look to this day as if the person in the painting could literally step out of it and shake your hand.
I like Abstact Expressionism- It's art for arts sake! Jackson Pollack was a creative genius. Impressionism- It paved the way for the rest of the modern art movements. Monet and VanGogh, namely. I'm a HUGE Picasso fan, because he used his art as a social statement as well as a creative medium. Few paintings speak to you the way the Guernica does. Pop Art, I feel, kind of brought art down to the common mans level, that is a matter of opinion whether that is a good thing or not. Many of the art worlds learned feel it was a " cheapening " of the accomplishments of other loftier classical genres, but it philosophically challenged the idea of what art is. That in my opinion, makes it art. Art MUST re-invent itself, art is life.

Last edited:
dadaism

Expatriate - just so you know Dada wasn't a person. It was an art movement started by a group of writers & artists after WW1. I'm also a big abstract fan. =D

Dada i would have to say is my fav... almost equal to surrealism..

^^^big fan of dada ehh?? Nice guy.. i had lunch with him.. lol
Dada was a term picked out of a dictionary with eyesclosed to represent the movement.. its a french word for Hobbyhorse.

i too love art deco...
and the renaissance was just a time of absolute beauty from every angle
im not too keen on byzantine
moderninsm is alright....
like mentioned flash and tattoo art intruige me, especially old school traditional and even more so when compared to new school and the colors they use...
russian contructionism had some high points...
dada is always a crowd pleaser
you know... i could go on and on, and never find a favorite...
it just all weaves such a wonderful web from cavemen to massachio to ruebans to michelangelo to (big jump) dali to barbra kruger

ill be back to post some of my favorites from special times
other people- you do too... show us a piece that you think is a pinnacle of your favotite movement

Back in high school, there was about 8 of us in our senior year art class.

As a group, we always wanted one fo us to create a new art movement. So far, after 3 years i doubt any of us have come close to achieving this goal.

Anyone ever thought about it? I'm not up to date with modern art at the moment, but has anyone created any new art movements in the last 5 years, anything heard in the media?.. not including computer graphics art

I'm talking about traditional methods and tools

mmm, best art movement (IMO) Der blau riter. Kandinsky and Marc speak to my through color and line.

As for surrealism. It really irks me to hear people talk about it with such reverence. It's really only interesting to me within the context of freudian psychodynamics, theories that have been largely pushed aside. Dali was a fascist hack, who was all splash, and all talk. The cool surrealism is definately Hans Bellmer, or Giaccometti (im thinking "3 AM in the palace of desire").

EEK!8o the DUH is on me! Forgive me Art Gods for I have sinned, It has been many years since my last Art History class. I will flail myself with barbed wire and cut off my left ear as my penance.

Last edited:
atlas said:
As for surrealism. It really irks me to hear people talk about it with such reverence. It's really only interesting to me within the context of freudian psychodynamics, theories that have been largely pushed aside. Dali was a fascist hack, who was all splash, and all talk. The cool surrealism is definately Hans Bellmer, or Giaccometti (im thinking "3 AM in the palace of desire").

i agree wholeheartedly. Surrealism was just an offshoot of Freudian psychoanalytic parlance and had some great painters affiliated with it, but it is generally hyped as being THE movement of that time period.

anyway, i think that the best art doesn't necessarily stick to one particular genre... look at Marcel Duchamp for example.

EEK! 8o the DUH is on me! Forgive me Art Gods for I have sinned, It has been many years since my last Art History class. I will flail myself with barbed wire and cut off my left ear as my penance.

Don't worry about it. Art, like everything else, gets too wrapped up in boring (and often meaningless) words. It's an experience, not an idea, not primarily to be thought about but to be felt. And if anyone tells you otherwise, they're talking out of their ass.
All the book smarts in the world cannot make you cultured in art unless you're able to think creatively, in a small mirror image of the artist's own creativity.

Ive got heaps favourates. In the interest of keeping it simple i'll only include a few.

Arts and Craft; Without William Morris modern design would not exist.

Bauhaus; The logical conclusion of Arts and Craft ideals. The movement that finally combined the role of artist and designer.

Pop Art; From Warhol To Koons, the shallow visual bastard in me just cant get enough of big flower puppies, white enamled toy cars and soup cans which double as quazy fashion items.

Post Modernism; Why have a hat when you can have the space around a hat?

Bauhaus - functionalism... WEEEE. I love that especially when it came to design in furniture and architecture.

Surrealism - Freud hated them, they loved him. How great is that. I heart Tanguey.

bauhaus furnature is the works most uncomfortable crap evar!

Most reproductions i sat in felt like giant lego chairs. They were colored like legos too. ;)

I like the works of Lothar Mattejat alot, he has given such a big contribution to the psychedelic environment in Europe through the SpiritZone label and TheVoovExperience outdoors festival.

Another vote here for Pop Art. The pop artists reflected the changing world around them but also helped to shape it themselves. Pop Art was the first truly democratic art form and cared nothing for spurious boundaries, encompassing areas not previously considered worthy of art, such as comic books, fashion and advertising, and influenced music and film. It was the most optimistic art form ever, as well as the most humorous. And it’s inluence has been lasting; the most recent art movement (for want of a better term) of any note, the Young British Artists of the 90’s, owe more to Pop Art than to any other style. Andy Warhol lives on in the spirit of Damien Hirst’s work.