favorite art movement?

Definately Surrealism for some reason i can realate to the imagary!8(

Honesty, I -love- the lowbrow art of present day over the past 15 years. Finally, art gets out of the realms of the intellectual elitism and into the grit and strife of everyday living for a good chunk of youth culture. I like lowbrow art because it's REAL.

Smurfkiller93 said:
I believe that the individual movements of art are no better than each other than different teeth in a row. Art is something that can take a thousand forms, none of which are inherently better than any others.
Its not that they are 'better' per-se, but more favorable in your eyes. Just as you have a favorite artist, or favorite piece, you can have a favorite movement.

Ive always been moved by the contemporary in general. Anything that is fresh and new, and puts a different spin on our perceptions.

For some strange reason i have been thinking about art history which i did three years ago. So yeha i did a search and found this thread. i think it needed a BUMP. =D

Neways my fav artists com form a mixture of movements but over all i htink Popart and Surrealism are my fav.

I luv work by Salvador Dali with the melting clocks who i think is surrealism (sorri testing my memory here).
Andy Warhol i believe is an absolute nutter and some of his photography is bazaar to say the least but i like how he uses colour in his work. I luv this self portrait of his.
http://imv.aau.dk/~jfogde/gallery/art/1.html

I don't really like renaissance paintings however Michelangelo's "God touching man" is one of my favourite paintings. I used ot have a poster of it however god was passing man a joint. :)

So yeah lets revive this thread. whats ur fav movement?

atlas said:
mmm, best art movement (IMO) Der blau riter. Kandinsky and Marc speak to my through color and line.

As for surrealism. It really irks me to hear people talk about it with such reverence. It's really only interesting to me within the context of freudian psychodynamics, theories that have been largely pushed aside. Dali was a fascist hack, who was all splash, and all talk. The cool surrealism is definately Hans Bellmer, or Giaccometti (im thinking "3 AM in the palace of desire").

I'm so quotable ;)

heres two giacometti pics like, though. Even if he renounced it, it still shows some cool talent.

Woman with her throat cut
Surrealist Object

And as for der Blau Riter:

Franz Marc - Large Blue Horses
Wasssily Kandinsky - Composition VIII

mmm, I have to add a barbra kruger pic, too.

Buy Me
Photo of Whitney Museus Instalation

ahhhhhhhh
that second kruger.... i went to the exhibition where this was installed among a few other rooms
various ones of these were in the floor in another room
overload... it was amazing (in the awe inspiring way)
i love kruger and whille seeing another artist surround you from every angle, every little point of your sightline from floor to ceiling might be firghtening, annoying or just way too much it worked so well for her...
truely overwhelming, in a wonderful way
easily one of my all time favorite exhibitions

more! just because she excites me

not-move.jpg

lm00101f.jpg

Last edited:
Hehe, you think she'd do a room in my house with a 24 hour cable news theme?