Worthy and upcoming albums of Anno Domini 2017

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Any genre of course. Could be a good way to discover some new music.

Let's post albums we've checked out from this year that we have enjoyed. Also possibly post links to upcoming releases and whatnot.

Anyway, for me, so far, its been Kreator- Gods of Violence.

Kreator-GodsOfViolence.jpg

That's a confusing album cover.

Kreator are a revered thrash metal act and credited with input into multiple extreme metal genres. One of the pioneers of extreme metal, though IMO their more recent output is more engaging. Well, from Coma of Souls, which is 1990...

I love their blend of melody and more typical thrashy riffage. Vocally, this album is great, a blend of harsh and harsh-cleans. Almost hints of power metal without being too flowery. And lyrically, the album is great, I appreciate left-leaning anarchic bands trying to clear some space in the metal scene.

This track is great:

Is it just me or are all metal video's inherently awkward?

I'm really looking forward to the new Aimee Mann record coming out in March. Here's a link to the single from the record:

Really digging her music lately.

I'm pretty thrilled about the upcoming album by Laibach, entitled Also Sprach Zaratustra, due for release on July 14th. Laibach are a kinda industrial, experimental, somewhat martial musical group born in the early 80's. They've had their share of controversy, but really only due to their aesthetic which explores totalitarian themes. They've been accused of being everything from Nazi's to far-left commies, but I don't think they are either. Notable for very rarely dropping their adopted persona's, a decent effort for over 30 years.

They did a gig in North Korea last year I think. Strange dudes. Kicking off their next tour in South Korea. :\

LAIBACH_AlsoSprachZarathustra_cover.jpg

^Nice, didn't know they had one coming out. I haven't heard anything since whatever their 2012 one was and I dug it, but Eve was (for me) their best. Will check this new one out, thanks for the heads up :)

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released one album earlier this year that was a ripper, and now have another one coming in a couple of months.

Me and That Man- Songs of Love and Death

z21372252Q,Me-And-That-Man---okladka-plyty--Songs-Of-Love-And.jpg

Side project of Nergal from black death metal band Behemoth and uses other Polish musicians. He plays a bit of guitar and does some singing. Its a great album, so different to Behemoth (who I absolutely love) that you would never know Nergal was involved.

The band play a sort of folk/country/bluesy style stuff, with harmonica, banjo, maybe even mandolin. In parts, it reminds me of Tom Waits and a hint of Nick Cave. Quite dark in a way. Good shit, great album. This track is great, its the opening track:

Whole album is great, buy it!! :)

My latest favorite release would have to be Ulver: The Assasination of Julius Caesar.

s29363677.jpg

Ulver are pretty much impossible to categorise; they began as a black metal band. First album, Bergtatt, was an awesome, atmospheric, neo-folk inspired black release; album two was Kveldssanger which was acoustic/ambient- album three, Nattens Madrigal, was their final black metal album and it was incredibly raw, harsh and melodic- potentially my favorite album by them. After Nattens Madrigal, they shifted to a blend of IDM, glitch, electronica, ambient, drone, psychedelic rock; pretty much everything but black metal much to the ongoing disdain of the metal community.

Anyway, their latest album is a sort of electronica/synthpop release, pretty inspired by Depeche Mode. Fantastic stuff, some of the songs do drag a little bit and the tracks are never straightforward but always interesting. The vocals of Garm just get better and they are perfect for this style.

This is the first track:

Definitely an interesting and innovative band, check em out! :):)

I'm pretty thrilled about the upcoming album by Laibach, entitled Also Sprach Zaratustra, due for release on July 14th. Laibach are a kinda industrial, experimental, somewhat martial musical group born in the early 80's. They've had their share of controversy, but really only due to their aesthetic which explores totalitarian themes. They've been accused of being everything from Nazi's to far-left commies, but I don't think they are either. Notable for very rarely dropping their adopted persona's, a decent effort for over 30 years.

They did a gig in North Korea last year I think. Strange dudes. Kicking off their next tour in South Korea. :\
LAIBACH_AlsoSprachZarathustra_cover.jpg

Its fucking strange. Extremely disturbing :)

Queens of the Stone Age Villains out end of this month. I'm on the fence with this one. Like Clockwork was very good but I listened to a track from this one and I'm not too impressed. Hoping I'm wrong and that it rocks. Really looking forward to seeing them late on in the year.

^Never got into them myself, I did like Kyuss who I think are associated in some way I can't be assed googling. Please link a killer track by them if you don't mind :)

my two favourite albums of this year so far -

the new Peter Perrett record 'How the West was Won'.

and the new Magnetic Fields album '50 Song Memoir'

^Never got into them myself, I did like Kyuss who I think are associated in some way I can't be assed googling. Please link a killer track by them if you don't mind :)

Apologies for delaying in responding. Was without any decent coverage for last day or two.

Kyuss were dubbed stoner rock by mates of mine. They were literally queens of the stone age and I dont who as the vocalist. Josh Homme was not main vocalist to my understanding. Could be wrong.

Swilow you listen to Deftones ??
They had a new album out this year ??

^No, never really got in Deftones. What's good by them?

I'm damn pleased that Mogwai are releasing a new album in a few days. One of my favorite post-rock bands, I think they have a much more original sound than most post-rock. Oft imitated, never bettered. I do prefer their later material, but its consistently pretty fucking awesome.

Every Country's Sun

TRR291_MOGWAI_ECS_cover_hi-res_1500x1500px_640x.jpg