Votes: 2 18.2%
  • ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
this is on netflix. looks like the first season came out in 2011. i started hearing about a couple weeks ago. my siblings watch it, the youngest one told me it's really good but i wouldn't like it because it's pulp. he's right; it's garbage. i'm going to be embarrassed in a week or two when i tell him i've watched them all.

it's moral tales about technology and the lack of self-awareness it facilitates. black mirror, like a screen/monitor (see irony here). the messages are all really basic. things people know are wrong but continue to do anyway. such as over-indulging in escapism, popularity-fueled vanity, and cruelty perpetuated by diffusion of responsibility. so it being any good depends on its iteration or "update" of these morals.

it embraces this post-modernism. clearly paying ode to The Twilight Zone. but the stories are bad. cheesy and predictable. keeping in vein with The Twilight Zone. something about it is very watchable. it does have defined style and tone. maybe it's going for mastery of form. i've only seen a few episodes so far. but i think it's just a trashy albeit entertaining show. similar to genre-horror in that it's going for an almost tactile sensation, like your spine is cold. that the cast and story a fresh each episode is a big help. because you're done by the time each one is over. they're longer than the usual tv show, but shorter than a movie -- adding to the watchability.

anyone else watching or through the series? i'm not watching them in any order. someone mentioned something gross that's included in the first episode, so i skipped it and have been all over the place since. just finished the one about the boy who's blackmailed. probably the silliest one yet. on to the next.

Last edited:
Care to explain your feelings of trashiness and the like? I'm extremely picky when it comes to TV and movies, but Black Mirror has never struck me as too overbearing, obvious, cheesy, or trashy. Yes, if well educated and thought it can be a bit predictable or even sophomoric. But I think it's an extremely important show to be airing considering the lengths at which modern CGI and the like can paint a vivid picture of a dystopian reality.

I've known this show since the first season, so I've had the opportunity to watch all the episodes without doing too much jumping around. I would imagine that a person who just got into it might be a little overwhelmed. There are straight up bad episodes, no doubt... but there are also mediocre ones, good ones, and great ones. It is also a matter of taste.

it's more focused on delivering that chilling sensation at the end than creating a quality story. again, the morals are not anything new and their applications to technology are obvious. such as the one about vanity, inauthenticity, and popularity applied to instagram. people have been complaining about that for years (and all that has fueled vanity and inauthenticity in the fight for popularity for centuries before that). yeah, i think the twitter one has a great message. but it's not a well created story. [spoil]a radical creates an army of killer robot bees to kill people that act cruel on the internet?.[/spoil] there are better iterations about the value of humanity.

i dislike cgi. it's trashy.

which episode should i watch next? in addition to those mentioned above, i've seen the augmented reality game one.

I started watching it years ago, i'm not sure what season your watching but the first two seasons are 'somewhat' different to the third, which is where Netflix picked it up. I thought the stories in the first couple of season's were superior but that's just my opinion.

I never viewed it as thought provoking but simply taking what people already know and making an extreme situation of it in some dystopian setting, which I found immensely entertaining.

Maybe checkout: Season 1 Episode 3 - The Entire History of You.

Last edited:
will check that one out next. thanks for the recommendation. immensely entertaining indeed.

just finished season 3, episode 4 - "San Junipero." hands down my favorite so far. if you're gonna go genre, romance is my preference. [spoil]and finally a happy ending![/spoil] absurdly post-modern. simulacra & simulation versus the real. made of pieced together allusions, starting with The Terminator and hughes/ringwald films.

[spoil]weird they started but didn't really go into the afterlife being owned by a private company offering free trail versions. i'm glad it was a happy ending finally, but the paraplegic suddenly disappearing because her family refused payment would have been more in tune with the other episodes i've seen so far.[/spoil]

the credit songs they match up with the each episode are great.

Last edited:
^ 'san junipero' was perhaps the most atmospheric episode for me. i didn't really like it at first but really enjoyed it on second viewing.

i agree with malakaix that the first two seasons were stronger. for me, the best episode was the 'white christmas' special which came between seasons 2 & 3.

alasdair

it's more focused on delivering that chilling sensation at the end than creating a quality story. again, the morals are not anything new and their applications to technology are obvious. such as the one about vanity, inauthenticity, and popularity applied to instagram. people have been complaining about that for years (and all that has fueled vanity and inauthenticity in the fight for popularity for centuries before that). yeah, i think the twitter one has a great message. but it's not a well created story. [spoil]a radical creates an army of killer robot bees to kill people that act cruel on the internet?.[/spoil] there are better iterations about the value of humanity.

i dislike cgi. it's trashy.

which episode should i watch next? in addition to those mentioned above, i've seen the augmented reality game one.

I've only seen four. PM pig one was good, bit disappointed with middle class angst that has applied to the other three.

Impressed with the number of non-white actors, obviously making an effort to do this. But are they all set in millionaire mansions?

My roommate watches this show and I really don't like it. Too contrived and purposefully uncomfortable for my tastes. He has stopped watching it in the living room, thankfully.

Anyone else really been enjoying the 4th series? Some great eps so far, I'm up to ep4 now.

^ I watched the whole season last week, I didn't mind it but I thought it was easily the weakest season so far. My favourite episodes were episodes 1 and 4, I liked episodes 3 and 6, didn't care much for episodes 2 and 5.

Seen all 6 now (so sad there were only 6!!!!). Must be a bit of a simpleton because I liked all of them quite significantly. I felt they've improved on season 3 (which I also liked plenty). I'm wondering if they'll release some more later this year, because 6 seems really tight.

episode 3 was the hardest hour of tv i've watched in a very long time...

alasdair

Last edited:
episode 3 was the hardest hour of tv i’ve watched in a very long time...

qft

It was really good and challenging at the same time. Plus I love Andrea Riseborough ;)

I think you'll enjoy ep4 after that :)

I really enjoyed the San Junipero episode, my friend convinced me to watch it after we came back from a concert and I was still high as a kite on acid.

Needless to say, it blew my mind. Gave me great hope for what television can offer in the 20-teens.

Haven't watched the rest of the show, but it's my understanding that the SJ episode was the only one with a happy ending. Guess I'm not interested in feeling down lately :?

everyone kept (and keeps on) raving about how great black mirror is, but i think i watched 4 or 5 seasons and thats enough to not go out of my way to see more. the "White Christmas" episode was the only good one imo (definitely worth watching even if the only episode watched), but the rest were pretty meh.

^ there have only been 4 seasons.

alasdair

Lol

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 4 which were ok. Season one was much better and so much more creepy.

I heard somewhere they had to tone down the ‘creepiness’ in the later seasons.