• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

January 2017 Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Goodbye Holidaze, Hello 2017!

thanks man. got through work ok, really wasn't as bad as it has been when I forced myself to go work while sick. I drank some coffee, and that has me feeling very weird. it could be a strange interaction between the 12mg of lope I had this morning, and I'll admit I did take a little dxm, as I am not going to be getting any more Kratom and I don't want any more lope either. I just wish I had a few Xanax or Valiums and a big bag of pot haha :)

You know my issue has been my surroundings. I am speaking of cigarettes right now - I've planned to quit months ago, for a goal of March 2017. This would give me time to complete my goal - and I knew it's the right time to do it.

However, I find myself wanting to do something when I don't smoke and I have no idea what to fill my time with.

I've tried writing - I used an application to exercise my thoughts every day, I did this for the first 2-3~ months whilst having made the decision to stop - it does help and maybe one day I'll share what I wrote (was planning on trying to make something from it for others, because addiction sucks but cigarettes are a whole other world of feeling trapped).

I've achieved some success in doing things like "OK I wont smoke a cigarette, and I'm going to take the dog on a longer walk." But how many times can I do this you know? I used to use walking the dog sometimes as a means to make sure I smoked outside, albeit I don't think smoking around anyone including animals is OK. More so animals & children - those who can't make their decisions or cannot show them efficiently.

Anyway - anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get rid of that 'smokers free time' ? I'd like to one day not even think about it - I mean the mentality that smoking creates & takes is sad and ridiculous looking at it now - I have a chunk of my life that is competing against my better judgement let alone health, why was I ever questioning it? <-- that is truly why I was able to make the decision to stop - who can ask such a thing of their body? Ugh... anyway opinions are helpful!

-dp

PS. - Good to see you around Capt. :)

what are your hobbies?

I write, make noise music, listen to noise music, listen to black or death metal, I read a lot. I like exercise, camping (these require more resources and money), I like going for walks.

Many of us get back into school or work; something I definitely recommend. You should avoid work situations where everyone's smoking (we've all been there). I was the only one who didn't smoke cigarettes at one of my jobs once (out of like 18-30 people).

Video games, TV, movies, etc. can be a great resource but you don't want to turn into a couch potato either. I'm particularly fond of a few video games. %)

it's good to see you around too d_p!

I write, make noise music, listen to noise music, listen to black or death metal....

Video games, TV, movies, etc. can be a great resource but you don't want to turn into a couch potato either. I'm particularly fond of a few video games. %)

I didn't know you were a fellow metalhead, CH... hail Satan! Not sure if they float your boat, but I've been listening to the new Brujeria (more grind than death metal) a lot; it's pretty fuckin solid.

Which video games are you enjoying these days? I'm trying to find some new ones to play... especially for PS4.

I didn't know you were a fellow metalhead, CH... hail Satan! Not sure if they float your boat, but I've been listening to the new Brujeria (more grind than death metal) a lot; it's pretty fuckin solid.

Which video games are you enjoying these days? I'm trying to find some new ones to play... especially for PS4.

I figured CH being a black death metal guy! Im more old school probably cause im older than both of you. Im more 666 Number of the Beast Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Megadeth, old ACDC with Bon scott vocals, Soundgarden, AIC, Temple of the Dog, Mother Lovebone, Godsmack, System of a Down, Tool, Drowning Pool when Dave was singer and alive, Black Label Society.....long list of old metal new metal and grunge

thanks man. got through work ok, really wasn't as bad as it has been when I forced myself to go work while sick. I drank some coffee, and that has me feeling very weird. it could be a strange interaction between the 12mg of lope I had this morning, and I'll admit I did take a little dxm, as I am not going to be getting any more Kratom and I don't want any more lope either. I just wish I had a few Xanax or Valiums and a big bag of pot haha :)

be careful with DMX dosing too high, and coffee will do ya good maybe help the bowels moving i dont know how you can do that much lope, i was scared shit first day of wds so i loped maybe 6mgs and then the next day too well i didnt go for 4 days maybe cause high dose lyrica plugs ya up too. Then after 4 days the flood gates opened my god it was bad!!. I really wish you had lyrica or nuerontin you woudnt need dmx or lope then good luck! BTW im with ya on the pot i made weed brownies in advance of wds and between high dosing lyrica & weed brownies i was walking into shit!

I figured CH being a black death metal guy! Im more old school probably cause im older than both of you. Im more 666 Number of the Beast Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Megadeth, old ACDC with Bon scott vocals, Soundgarden, AIC, Temple of the Dog, Mother Lovebone, Godsmack, System of a Down, Tool, Drowning Pool when Dave was singer and alive, Black Label Society.....long list of old metal new metal and grunge

I LOVE making lists! Some of my all-time favorite metal/punk bands (in rough chronological order):
* Black Sabbath
* Sex Pistols
* AC/DC
* Black Flag
* Big Black
* Melvins
* Nirvana
* Jesus Lizard
* Today is the Day
* Eyehategod
* Electric Wizard
* Converge
* Trap Them

I'm always excited to hear about new bands, so please tell us who you love... sorry, Mods, this should probably be on the "social" thread. But honestly, talking about/listening to/playing music is a huge part of my life that isn't (immediately) tied up with drugs :), so this is kinda on the topic of getting/staying sober.

heeeeeyy Up The Irons! Saw Iron Maiden back in 2009, Bruce Dickinson has more energy in his 50s than I've ever had my entire life. Also used to listen to a lot of Sim and LD's list too. Loved the Pistols, The Damned, Black Flag, The Clash, The Adicts, Joy Division, Dead Kennedys, Could go on. Laregly ended up listening to Industrial. Nine Inch Nails, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Wumpscut..

Bon Scott is actually buried up the road from me, RIP.

I'm following a pretty strict routine of not listening to things I listened to while using in fear of firing up old pathways, sadly. (I'm trying every approach possible. Kitchen Sink method TM) Now I listen to a lot of soft rock as it reminds me of good times with my wife as it seems to be all they play in her country that's not horrible Pop. The up side to that is a lot of Pink Floyd and Queen.

Haha, yeah. I listen to a lot of noise, but I also love metal still. :) at the moment I'm listening to Goatpenis.

I'll download the new Brujeria and I'll tell you what I think of it*. I mostly listen to black metal now, but I still really like some death metal bands. I went to Maryland Deathfest 2 years in a row when I was still living on the east coast. Great times. %)

I don't know what works for PS4; does CS: GO work for it? I'm a sucker for Half Life, Counterstrike, though I've been obsessed with an mmorpg recently.

*edit: just downloaded a bunch of their old/new stuff. I hadn't gotten all of the older albums when I first started downloading. The p2p program I use is excellent and I get everything I could possibly want, except for ultra-rare stuff.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah. I listen to a lot of noise, but I also love metal still. :) at the moment I'm listening to Goatpenis.

I'll download the new Brujeria and I'll tell you what I think of it*. I mostly listen to black metal now, but I still really like some death metal bands. I went to Maryland Deathfest 2 years in a row when I was still living on the east coast. Great times. %)

I don't know what works for PS4; does CS: GO work for it? I'm a sucker for Half Life, Counterstrike, though I've been obsessed with an mmorpg recently.

*edit: just downloaded a bunch of their old/new stuff. I hadn't gotten all of the older albums when I first started downloading. The p2p program I use is excellent and I get everything I could possibly want, except for ultra-rare stuff.

Thanks for the game recommendations, CH! I'll look into which of those titles are available on PS4. Or who knows? Maybe I'll expand my horizons!

One cautionary note...I'm not crazy about all of Brujeria's catalog. I hope you find something you like!

Oh, speaking of noise bands, I forgot to put one of my all-time favorites on my list...SWANS. Not sure if you'd consider them noise, but I think they're close, to the extent that you can classify them at all. Also, Genghis Tron offers a fun mix of noise/hardcore/metal.

I just checked out some Goatpenis videos on youtube...fuckin solid! Thanks for the lead.

heeeeeyy Up The Irons! Saw Iron Maiden back in 2009, Bruce Dickinson has more energy in his 50s than I've ever had my entire life. Also used to listen to a lot of Sim and LD's list too. Loved the Pistols, The Damned, Black Flag, The Clash, The Adicts, Joy Division, Dead Kennedys, Could go on. Laregly ended up listening to Industrial. Nine Inch Nails, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Wumpscut..

Bon Scott is actually buried up the road from me, RIP.

I'm following a pretty strict routine of not listening to things I listened to while using in fear of firing up old pathways, sadly. (I'm trying every approach possible. Kitchen Sink method TM) Now I listen to a lot of soft rock as it reminds me of good times with my wife as it seems to be all they play in her country that's not horrible Pop. The up side to that is a lot of Pink Floyd and Queen.

Thats is cool Bon Scott buried close to you i would love to visit his grave. Bon was the man i bought Highway to Hell the day it came out i loved all ACDC with Bon. I actually saw the first ACDC concert without Bon was Hells Bells it was ok just not Bon!. I saw maiden way back in the late 80s and again in 1999 at madison square garden with Queensryche and Halford band he was doing all Judist Priest songs great concert. Pink Floyd and Queen were great bands.

You know what my favorite all time metal band is? SEPULTURA!!!!! =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the game recommendations, CH! I'll look into which of those titles are available on PS4. Or who knows? Maybe I'll expand my horizons!

One cautionary note...I'm not crazy about all of Brujeria's catalog. I hope you find something you like!

Oh, speaking of noise bands, I forgot to put one of my all-time favorites on my list...SWANS. Not sure if you'd consider them noise, but I think they're close, to the extent that you can classify them at all. Also, Genghis Tron offers a fun mix of noise/hardcore/metal.

I just checked out some Goatpenis videos on youtube...fuckin solid! Thanks for the lead.

I probably like their earlier work better, but haven't listened to the new full length yet, just Viva Presidente Trump. Was rather enjoyable too. :)

Ugh, I have to go to bed early for work tomorrow. I should thank my stars it is work I love, but man, getting up at 530am on a Saturday just to shower and shave and pack my lunch and go to work is always lame when I'm asked to do it less than 48hrs in advance. Whatever. Night folks.

Lets the ruckus begin :D

I probably like their earlier work better, but haven't listened to the new full length yet, just Viva Presidente Trump. Was rather enjoyable too. :)

Yeah, their first release is still my favorite. Brujerismo is also good. And yes, agreed, Viva Presidente Trump is hilarious. Same goes for California Über Atzlan!

You know what my favorite all time metal band is? SEPULTURA!!!!! =D

Teenage me's favorite band! I just fired up Chaos AD for old time's sake! thanks for the memories... totally forgot about them!

I slipped up and had a few puffs on a joint last night, but I'm not beating myself up about it. It was interesting to notice the change in personality and how much preferred being sober.

...but I'm not beating myself up about it. It was interesting to notice the change in personality and how much preferred being sober.

Bravo dude! Despite the slip, this is fucking awesome: you are indeed making progress in your efforts to become healthier! All you need to do is remain cognizant of how easy the slips can be made and moving forward to try again, as it sounds like you are.